The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
almiel
Newly Deceased

almiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree translation help

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'd love some help with a translation!

While trying to figure it out, I stumbled upon an archived post on the translation of "Child of the Lord" (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/archive...p?t-16559.html).

I am also toying with a tattoo idea, and was wondering what the translation for "child of the universe" would be. I know Eä is the Quenya word for universe (not sure if there's a Sindarin equivalent?). From reading those threads, I'm supposing it would be something approximating Eähín (for universe-child), and possibly hína i Eä (? for child of the universe).

But I might be completely off track! Any help would be appreciated.
almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome to the Downs, almiel! As we don't have a special language forum, I'd say this is a good place to post your question.

hína i Eä is fine for "child of the universe" as far as the meaning goes, but Quenya being an inflecting language (unlike Sindarin), you'd have to stick the appropriate case ending to *; for the genitive, this would be -o, giving Eäo, which however looks/sounds horribly awkward with its three vowels in a row (not that it's wrong, it's just a matter of phonaesthetic taste).

Also, Tolkien tends to use as a sort of proper name of the universe, without the article, so I'd drop the i, leaving hína Eäo; but if you'd like to avoid the three-vowel-cluster, your compound Eähin (modelled on Eruhin) actually seems like a good alternative to me.
__________________________________________________ ______________

*(especially because can also mean "it is" in the sense of "it exists", and i can also be the relative pronoun, so hína i eä could be misread as "a child that exists".)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
almiel
Newly Deceased

Ahh, thank you so much. The grammar was one reason I wanted to check, since I knew it was more complicated than Sindarin.

Follow up inquiry - rendering these into Tengwar. There's an online generator, but I'm not sure if it's correct. This is what it made for both:

Thank you for your help so far.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
While examples are scarce enough, and if ea is wanted anyway, a form in Namárie suggests that the genitive marker displaces final -a, as there we find Vardo for instance, rather than *Vardao.

I can't recall at the moment if other examples exist where -a is retained.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
While examples are scarce enough, and if ea is wanted anyway, a form in Namárie suggests that the genitive marker displaces final -a, as there we find Vardo for instance, rather than *Vardao.

I can't recall at the moment if other examples exist where -a is retained.
Methinks you're right - I was misled by Oiolossëo, where the final vowel is retained before the ending, but that's probably because e and o (unlike a and o) are dissimilar enough not to make the resulting cluster too uncouth. We also have in Namárië the form Calaciryo, genitive of Calacirya, so that looks like a rule - which leaves us with hína Eö.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
almiel
Newly Deceased

Ahh that makes sense, Galin. What would you (either of you, or anyone else, lol) recommend for the Tengwar script then? (I am more than way too rusty on transcribing.)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well I'm no expert, but your second example is almost how I would write hína eo, and by 'almost' I mean take out the carrier for the vowel a (along with the vowel of course), but leave the rest -- hína e[a]o -- and pick a font you find pleasing.

That still leaves you with two vowel carriers for eo, but I'm not sure how else to write this (as it's not a diphthong) if it's the correct form for 'of the universe'.

That is, I'm not sure how else to write it if one necessarily finds two carriers less pleasing to the eye.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote