The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thanks Downers!

Well, I'll keep this short and simple.
We received our English and History (also in English) tests today and I got very good marks at both.
So my teacher asked me what it is that makes me speak English so well - is it what I learned before coming to Germany, is it what I learned here or something that I learned from my parents?
Personally I think it is what I learned on the Downs. By posting often and discussing with native speakers on different topics I really feel that I have improved my skills.

Sooo...
Thanks to all you Downers that have helped me!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Congratulations! But that's great! So the Downs have some practical use after all, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
So my teacher asked me what it is that makes me speak English so well - is it what I learned before coming to Germany, is it what I learned here or something that I learned from my parents?
And so I presume you told the teacher that it was the Downs! You know, propagation is necessary!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nah, he wouldn't understand I guess... not the fantasy interested type.
And indeed it seems the Downs has a practical use.

Btw, anyone else who also wishes to thank the Downs for something is of course welcome to post.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Btw, anyone else who also wishes to thank the Downs for something is of course welcome to post.
I guess this thread would not offer enough space for everyone to speak... and a man's life is short But yes, yes, I know...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I failed my degree because of it.

(This may be a joke)
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I could thank the Downs for the same thing as Might: improving my English skills. I admit my language is still rather poor but at least I can write English much more fluently now than when I first joined.

Personally I find it wonderful to talk with Tolkien fans from all over the world- especially as I catch myself quite often from judging people based on whether they like Tolkien (good) or not (bad) or maybe don't even have an opinion (uncivilized!).

I also want to thank the Downs for keeping me from studying, causing me sleep deprivation and occupying a great part of my free time.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It's not just those who knew other tongues prior to English that have a reason to thank the Downs. I have had my own language skills improved by discussion with the many fine folk assembled here, now and in years past. Many aspects have been polished or introduced: debating, constructing arguments, proofreading, and vocabulary (interesting new words such as lycanthropy, etc. ).

To think I would once litter my posts with (sp?)......
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
The Downs especially taught me many ways to express suspicion, and how to eloquently accuse people of the most heinous crimes.

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree with all statements above. Of course, I mostly thank the Downs for something else entirely.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Like The Might and Aganzir, I should thank 'Downs for my English skills that are - I'm afraid - quite a lot better than those of an average Finn of my age. Of course things like that I did about half of my lower secondary studies in English and I read a lot in English have improved my English as well (and being naturally talented in languages doesn't hurt either ), but a great part of my gratitude belongs to the 'Downs. I mean, without 'Downs I would hardly use English daily or learn half as much new words or phrases as I now do.

Which brings me to another issue for which I'm even more grateful than for my improved English skills. For, without the 'Downs, I wouldn't have met a lot of lovely people nor have so many friends of different ages and from different countries. That is a thing I truly value. So thank you, 'Downs!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles speak Bad English

Though I've moved on to other fandoms for the most part, I must thank the Downs for getting me started on role playing and thus improving my written English skills (I'm still fluent in spoken Bad English as well as spoken English.)

Not to mention that the Downs helped turn me away from chatty abbreviations.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I just finished (or well, I am finishing, just a few words remain) a paper for the school where we are to interpretate some article in other language (English, some people chose also German ones), refer about it, and add some own opinions on it. And I remembered that I should say here that I owe the Downs for the training to quick read information in English, of course, but first and foremost I realised I should thank all you people for the Books discussions, because I have the possibility here to practice work with text, critical thinking and dialogue on such basis. And when I re-read what I wrote, I was greatly amused by the fact that the last part where I am offering my own opinion looks almost as if I responded to some Downer's post in the Books. Well, I tried to keep a more formal style, of course But as I said, I owe all of you and the most probably all the people who were around in most discussions at the time I came here: I recall names like Boro, Farael, to a lesser extent Lalwendë and to a larger extent later davem. And that's just those I remember as the ones who contributed the most.

(And by the way, though this should belong rather to the addiction thread, when I started to write the paper, I had the itching to write: Quote: "..." - So you say, professor, that...? )
Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

When I first began on the 'Downs I was very poor in my spelling* and my grammer was real bad not good yes. I wholeheartedly thank the people of the Downs for offering such insight into Tolkien and encouraging me to write so much.

Without this here Barrow, I don't think I'd be at university right now (Obviously not, RIGHT now, I'm actually at home RIGHT NOW, but you know what I mean). If not for Assigned to Mordor 2, I don't think I would have kept up such a constant stream of writing for a prolonged period when I would otherwise have been too lazy to write.

This is such a special place and we should all get together and go into space.

*I actually still am, but thanks to Google Toolbar, it is often hidden.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I'll have to agree with Hookbill in this thanks, or a part of it, my spelling was absolutely horrible, and I did not do my english any justice by trying to learn two languages on my own at once during that time... I actually found out it is possible to loose the means for words, even if it is your mother tongue.
I imagine I probably came off rather horrible myself during that early period.
Also, so many conversations here have indeed helped with critical thinking and writing skills, that I am very indebt to.

Another thanks o'course, to those lovely Downers who parle francais aussi. Oro, tgwbs, and many others, if it wasn't for you I don't think I would have kept up with my french study and probably would have embarassed my mother even more than I already have.
Merci mes ami!
As for czech or polish, that is my own battle to try and reclaim. Plus all the other languages I try to study at once, I just can't decide half the time.

Yet another thanks to all of the Downers who have taken the time and sanity to become my friends, without which I probably would not be intelligent and kind enough without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
I actually still am, but thanks to Google Toolbar, it is often hidden.
Heh, guilty here too, at times.

Though, you have to admire at how stuctured, yet strange the english language is. You can take a word from another language or even make it up, tinker with it a bit, make a few more people use it, give it some experience in the writing field and somehow it finds its way into the OED along with its 5,000 other meanings.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai View Post

Not to mention that the Downs helped turn me away from chatty abbreviations.
I second that. I'd gotten used to using so much text/chatspeak that my brain doesn't like to process actual words anymore. It's refreshing to see people post (gasp!) actual words! (ungasp) whilst playing mafia/WW, as opposed to other sites I play on where an acceptable accusation is "your the mafia i no u r."

And to those of you that aren't native English speakers, kudos! To be honest, you speak (or at least type) a lot better English than some of the people I know in college. I congratulate you!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Thanks Downers for making me feel stupid because you all speak five languages and I only one. Thanks for every day reminding of the fact that I am an inferior life-form and a dullard. It means so much to me.

EDIT: Wow. Someone must have hacked my account, because this doesn't sound like something I would say at ALL.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 02-24-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
The Downs especially taught me many ways to express suspicion, and how to eloquently accuse people of the most heinous crimes.
Ha, seconded. My critical thinking skills greatly improved through WW games. I learned to read between the lines and interpret various things differently. And that has helped me write a fair amount of English term papers over the years.

The Downs has also provided a great place to discuss the books I love and not be called a "super nerd" for it. And it's where I can work on my writing skills through RPGs and even WW to a lesser extent.

Thanks Downs!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Gwathagor, if the above post was not written by you, you have the option of deleting it to avoid perpretrating a misunderstanding. If it remains, then it is by your choice and must be considered as having your approval.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I jest, I jest. It was extended sarcasm.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal2005
"your the mafia i no u r."
Seconded. I guess I was lucky enough to have a head on my shoulders and let curiousity lead me to the Downs before I actually developed some understanding of it. Now when I see it, I have to re-read it several times because my brain twitches. Another thanks to Downers, for the gift of nagging and perpetual proper english.

~ Hmm Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Seconded. I guess I was lucky enough to have a head on my shoulders and let curiousity lead me to the Downs before I actually developed some understanding of it. Now when I see it, I have to re-read it several times because my brain twitches. Another thanks to Downers, for the gift of nagging and perpetual proper english.

~ Hmm Ka
Indeed. The Downs has resurrected the English major in me, and for that I am greatful. And besides, all you guys (or at least the ones I know) are fantastic. It's been great fun playing WW with you all!

~~Sally~~
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril Thank you!

The Downs has helped me with essay writing more than four years of school did. I get a lot of practice while RPing or just arguing my point in a Books' discussion. It also helps to learn grammar propper from speakers non-English. Also, after I started visiting about every day, I learned how to type twice as fast as I used to.

On the less practical side, I want to thank the Downers for being Downers and mking the Downs such a great place! ...And, for bearing with me through all my nonesense posts. :-)
Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm kind of repeating myself here, but I feel I should do this anyways...

I recently wrote my Eglish exam, where I had to do a lot of on-the-spot analysis and essay writing in a relatively short time period. I think that I managed to finish it in time only because I had so much practice arguing one point or another and/or analyzing stuff here on the Downs. It got me into the habbit of reading something and replying coherently right away, without spending time on planning the post out.

A coupe weeks ago my English teacher made a comment about some of my creative writing assignments that they could serve as the beginning of short stories or even novels. I would like to blame the Downs for that.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
A coupe weeks ago my English teacher made a comment about some of my creative writing assignments that they could serve as the beginning of short stories or even novels. I would like to blame the Downs for that.
Did they start with "It was a dark, stormy night?"
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Did they start with "It was a dark, stormy night?"
No. *goes to get book*

"There were no sea gulls on the masts."

Come on, the Downs may be scary for hobbits, but we're WIGHTS!