The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Orc haute couture

It's written that orcs were once elves, but perverted. These vile mockeries are beast-like, yet also a bit too much like us humans. Orcs aren't farmers or millers or poets, but warriors, thieves, defilers and spoilers. They don't make, but take.

Pretty counterculture.

So why did orcs feel the need to wear clothes (not armor)?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Just armour? That doesn't exactly conform to the body, I'm thinking. Even Morgoth and Sauron probably thought "Gah! I don't need to see that!" You guys find some clothes!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
So why did orcs feel the need to wear clothes (not armor)?
Did they wear clothes? I've read no treatises on Orkish humility. In any case, they would be much more intimidating with Orc pork dangling forth.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Intimidating? Maybe. But keep in mind that Melkor and Sauron had other troops than Orcs. Having Orcs exposed could have a deleterious effect on fighting proficiency and focus.

EDIT- Also, just imagine the chafing if all they had was armour!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
Did they wear clothes?
They definitely did. Frodo disguised himself with orc-clothes in Mordor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotR Book VI, The Tower of Cirith Ungol
There were long hairy breeches of some unclean beast-fell, and a tunic of dirty leather.
As for why they'd wear clothes, hm... sunburn protection?

EDIT: x-ed with Zil
Old 04-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
They definitely did. Frodo disguised himself with orc-clothes in Mordor:

"There were long hairy breeches...."
But, but...ummm...those aren't breeches!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What I mean is that there is no biological or cultural reason that orcs need to wear clothing. We wear it for protection from the environment. Certain aboriginal tribes wear next to nothing; their children may have not so much as a stitch.

And orcs enjoy flouting convention, and what better way to differentiate themselves from 'those elves' (who create) than to not wear clothing?

Funny that most posters here think that orcs reproduce sexually, and that orcs might just be 'modest.' Who knew?

Anyway, I'm not even sure why elves wear clothing, but I think it's because Tolkien has elves being much like us, and as we wear clothes (especially if Middle Earth is in the northern hemisphere...).
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
What I mean is that there is no biological or cultural reason that orcs need to wear clothing. We wear it for protection from the environment. Certain aboriginal tribes wear next to nothing; their children may have not so much as a stitch.

And orcs enjoy flouting convention, and what better way to differentiate themselves from 'those elves' (who create) than to not wear clothing?
The environmental reason would stand then, I think. Angband was in a pretty cold location, and I doubt armour alone would have been much protection against that. Also, I was semi-serious about the chafing. Even the thin body-armour worn by today's police and military can cause problems if one fails to wear a t-shirt under it.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The environmental reason would stand then, I think. Angband was in a pretty cold location, and I doubt armour alone would have been much protection against that. Also, I was semi-serious about the chafing. Even the thin body-armour worn by today's police and military can cause problems if one fails to wear a t-shirt under it.
I agree regarding armor.

Environment? Elves are cold-resistant; why not orcs?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think the "environmental protection" is an argument, even in the general sense that some clothing is better than no clothing when it comes to protection even from, say, thorny bushes. And the psychological effect, like what Zil said... and as it was also mentioned, at least since the invention of armor the clothes were a necessity. You can't really wear an armor on bare body (or you can, but that will effectively kill you).

Also, clothes can serve as distinguishing marks - "we are Cool Clan XY, wearing the symbol of a dragon on our chest", stuff like that. Also "I am the chieftain, I can wear the coolest and most intimidating armor of all; Elves, fear me; yes, it was me who killed your grandfather, surely you have heard the tales about the big Orc clad in big black-and-red-striped cloak, mwahaha".

And in the battle, generally, clothes also can be important for distinction, if they have the coat of arms (although everyone will most likely know which side the Orcs fight on, even without the coat of arms - but maybe when it comes to clash between two different Orc tribes... think of Gorbag's Dead-moon-symbol Morgul Orcs and Shagrat's Red Eye Orcs of Cirith Ungol).

EDIT: x-ed with Zil and alatar
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
But, but...ummm...those aren't breeches!
I prefer to think they are - can't see Sam and Frodo as little Buffalo Bills (not the western hero...)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Also, clothes can serve as distinguishing marks - "we are Cool Clan XY, wearing the symbol of a dragon on our chest", stuff like that. Also "I am the chieftain, I can wear the coolest and most intimidating armor of all; Elves, fear me; yes, it was me who killed your grandfather, surely you have heard the tales about the big Orc clad in big black-and-red-striped cloak, mwahaha".
Hmmm...sort of like Crips and Bloods, Orkish style.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Hmmm...sort of like Crips and Bloods, Orkish style.
The argument of unit pride does make sense.
I can also see the need for specialized clothing for differently tasked Orcs. I'd think thick pants would be a necessity for a Warg-rider, for example.

Last edited by Inziladun; 04-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If an orc doesn't wear clothes, but runs around Mordor all day in his armour, what's the likelyhood of him catching a fatal infection?

Um... do orcs even have anything they could call "infection" from their point of view?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I prefer to think they are - can't see Sam and Frodo as little Buffalo Bills (not the western hero...)
Well, the armies of brigands that troubled France throughout the 14th century were known as écorcheurs ('skinners' or 'flayers of dead bodies'), and they were very reminiscent of Orcs (or vice versa). so when Tolkien refers to "long hairy breeches of some unclean beast-fell", they could have very well come from Uncle Shagrat's leathery loins.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
If an orc doesn't wear clothes, but runs around Mordor all day in his armour, what's the likelyhood of him catching a fatal infection?
Or some hot embers from Mt. Doom? That could have an effect on morale.

x/d with Morthoron
Old 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Or some hot embers from Mt. Doom? That could have an effect on morale.
After you've sat once on one of the red-hot stones without pants on, you learn the lesson.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
What I never quite figured out was why orcs needed shoes (aragon ad co find one as part of the detritus trail left by the och who caputed Merry and Pippin. Given how thick orchish hide was I always imagined thier feet were fairly hard and horny, and pretty resistant to damage. Indeed I've alays assumed the shoe/boot wearing was for armed orcs in the Mordor Forces, "wild orch" (like the ones in the Misty mountains) likey did go barefoot (if only because being barefoot would likey give them better traction on the loose stones they would have to deal with in the mountains. Also does this mean that frodo and Sam had to find orchish boots to disguise themselves. Actually now that I think of it (Frodo and Sam may have had boots already) (Bilbo was given a pair of boots in Rivindell in the Hoobit (I was in a note to one of the illustrations Tolkein did) so Frodo and Co likey would have had the same courtesy extended to them).
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
After you've sat once on one of the red-hot stones without pants on, you learn the lesson.

But...wouldn't red-hot stones burn through your pants anyway?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #20
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
But...wouldn't red-hot stones burn through your pants anyway?
Perhaps that is when "hot pants" came into vogue, Orcs being risque and all.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Perhaps that is when "hot pants" came into vogue, Orcs being risque and all.
Actually, I'm firmly convinced leisure suits were an Orkish invention.

Look, alatar, isn't it bad enough to have to deal with the "Gandalf uncloaking" mental picture? Naked hobbits on the Barrow-downs are a pretty unappealing thought as well. Let's not add nude Orcs to the fray.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

I'm just saying, what better way to annoy those slipper-wearing elves?

And again, have we ever settled the issue regarding the existence of female orcs (or the species equivalent)?

Note that I won't be selling any 'Orcs at the beach' calendars anytime soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #23
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Actually, I'm firmly convinced leisure suits were an Orkish invention.

Look, alatar, isn't it bad enough to have to deal with the "Gandalf uncloaking" mental picture? Naked hobbits on the Barrow-downs are a pretty unappealing thought as well. Let's not add nude Orcs to the fray.
Yeah...imagine all the fungus that must be growing in...um...not-so-nice places.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #24
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I'm just saying, what better way to annoy those slipper-wearing elves?
I thought elves wore light shoes or sandals
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #25
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Even Peter Jackson had interesting thoughts about clothing orcs (as read here) ...