The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Alassë Estel
Wight

Alassë Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Father Christmas Letters

Has anyone here read Tolkien's Letters From Father Christmas?
I never have, but it seems very charming and I am hoping for some opinions.

From what I understand, it is all about Father Christmas' adventures at his home in the North Pole. According to what I've read online, he battles goblins, talks to polar bears, and deals with all sorts of mischief. I saw something about elves and gnomes too. It sounds quite interesting to me. I believe it was, like Roverandom, written for his children, so I expect the tone is quite light, as compared to some of his other works. Perhaps some of you can tell me more.
John 3:16
Alassë Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The Father Christmas Letters are real letters which Tolkien wrote for his children, each year for Christmas, from 1920 and 1943. They are written as letters from Father Christmas himself or an elf helper, describing events in their life in the past year and set in the North Pole. Tolkien illustrated them himself. Each was delivered in an envelope with a stamp, drawn by Tolkien. They are whimsical and quite delightful.

They were originally published three years after Tolkien's death, edited by Baillie Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien's second wife. There are several editions and I believe the latest includes letters and illustrations not included in the original, but the exact number I don't know. I've read only some of them.

The scientist (Professor of Physics and Astronomy) and Tolkien scholar Kristine Larsen recently gave a paper on "Aurora and the Father Christmas Letters" at the International Medieval Congress at Leeds this summer, if you are inclined to search for it. She has more than a few publications on astronomy and Middle-earth.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
Alassë Estel
Wight

Alassë Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you! That is such a sweet Christmas tradition. Hopefully one day I shall get my hands on a copy. And I will be sure to look up "Aurora and the Father Christmas Letters".
John 3:16
Alassë Estel is offline   Reply With Quote