The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Where did beorn and Radagast meet?

Beorn said radagast was not bad for a wizard, so they must have met, but where?
Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.J Tolkien View Post
Beorn said radagast was not bad for a wizard, so they must have met, but where?
We can't know for sure.

They lived in the same general neighborhood for a long time so any number of places in western Mirkwood or the Anduin valley are possible.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:48 AM   #3
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Purest speculation, but given that we know of Radagast that he "became enamoured of the many beasts and birds that dwelt in Middle-earth, and forsook Elves and Men, and spent his days among wild creatures," it's entirely possible they only met while Beorn was a bear. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest Radagast didn't know he was also human, but the reason they got on might be that the wizard thought of him as a beast first and foremost.

Even more speculative: the idea of an immortal hermit who cares for all animals is pretty common in fiction (Medwyn of Prydain was my first thought, but I ran across another instance in, of all things, Terry Pratchett's Carpet People recently), and I suspect it has mythic origins. Radagast would fit neatly into this category - the movies do so (hi Sebastian) - and so it would be plausible that Beorn was drawn to him after being injured in some way. Quite what could wound the Great Bear that badly, I'm not sure - though there were sorcerous powers at work in Dol Guldur...

Okay, no, I'm not writing a story about Radagast healing Beorn of a Morgul-wound. I refuse.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm inclined to agree with Kuru.

Probably just the nearness of Rhosgobel to Beorn would be enough to assure likely contact.
Also, presumably Radagast had made an abode there for quite some time, so Beorn's predecessors could have known of him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Okay, no, I'm not writing a story about Radagast healing Beorn of a Morgul-wound. I refuse.
If you were doing that, you may as well go whole-hog and have Radagast be a forest-dwelling hippie riding on giant rabbits. (*cough*)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
If you were doing that, you may as well go whole-hog and have Radagast be a forest-dwelling hippie riding on giant rabbits. (*cough*)
Look on the bright side. It could have been saber-toothed guinea pigs.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Starbucks. They met at a Starbucks. I'm sure there was one in Rhosgobel and another by Carrock. And another in Laketown. The only one that closed was in the Withered Heath. The franchise just couldn't stay profitable there.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
The only one that closed was in the Withered Heath. The franchise just couldn't stay profitable there.
According to the Annals of Arabica, they made an impressive Worm-berry Frappuccino
Old 01-21-2021, 02:40 AM   #8
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
"Upon his greying head sat a wide-brimmed hat, and descending from it was a trail of bird poop; for this was Radagast the Brown, and birds used his head as a toilet." ~J.R.R. Tolkien, probably

Quote:
According to the Annals of Arabica, they made an impressive Worm-berry Frappuccino
Bet that was popular with that one dwarf who practically drowned himself in coffee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Party
Some called for ale, and some for porter, and one for coffee, and all of them for cakes; so the hobbit was kept very busy for a while.

A big jug of coffee had just been set in the hearth, the seed-cakes were gone...
Since the cakes were gone, I assume that's his second jug of the stuff...

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #9
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When I saw the title of this thread, I knew I would be laughing before I finished reading...
Old 02-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Starbucks. They met at a Starbucks. I'm sure there was one in Rhosgobel and another by Carrock. And another in Laketown. The only one that closed was in the Withered Heath. The franchise just couldn't stay profitable there.
No, no, no. They met in the pub. The ancient Pub name “The bear and ragged staff “ is evidence of this being a corruption of Beorn and Radagast’s staff”. The bear and Ragged Staff is also the crest of the county of Warwickshire. Tolkien grew up in Warwickshire. Tolkien likes pubs. It is all symbolic and a code indicating the origins of Tom Bombadil and the location of the Enwives and who Gil-galad’s daddy really was. But it is SECRET so I can’t tell you and only I have noticed.*nods wisely*

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #11
James the Just
Pile O'Bones

James the Just has just left Hobbiton.
In the real world Beorn once lived in the Elm hills, which is north of the Harz mountains in Lower Saxony, Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_(hills)

Radagast dwelt in Rhosgobel, near the Old Forest Road. Today this place is a small town named Radegast in Saxony-Anhalt., Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radegast

Take a Tolkien Tour on the European Long Distance Paths and see it yourself.

James the Just is offline   Reply With Quote