The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Mandos Thread: DEAD ONLY! - WW LXXXVI

Welcome to the halls of Mandos.

If you are alive, turn back now. Reading further constitutes cheating.

If you are dead, scroll down.

So, you're dead. Hey, it's not so bad.

Dead players may read this entire thread (as well as continuing to read the main game thread) and may post here Day or Night. By Day, you may vote for a living player to be given a double vote in that Day's lynch. The living player chosen will not know that xe has this power.

Every Night (beginning when there are at least 3 dead), you can vote for one dead player, and I will reveal whether that player is a wolf or not (cobblers and gifteds will show as simply "innocent").

Participation in the Mandos thread is optional. No modfire is awaiting anyone.

Deadline is still 11 pm EST. Tied votes will now be decided by a coin toss.

Seriously, if you aren't dead, stop reading now. Winning a game unfairly is no win at all.
I know where you live.

The Dead:

*your name here*
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Cold are the Halls of the Dead, cold and empty, and of inconceivable vastness. In these years of peace, not many an Elf comes to this place, and the ones who have been here before have either left to walk the shores of the Undying Lands... or have grown quiet, and withdrawn. This was the place Rikae and Mac came to just one night ago, but they were now hiding, in shame over their inadequate guard, and would not talk to anyone*.

Now Mänwe came to stay in Mandos' halls as well, and the Vala spoke to him:

"O Mänwe of the People of the Noldor. You, that you have once in foolishness turned your backs to the Powers of the West, her now my words. I know of the struggles that you and your party have been put to, and I vow to aid you in your hardship. Sad it has to be, and disheartening, to be lynched by your own kind, and to be suspected of such monstrosities. You, and those of your brethren that are sure to follow you, will be given might to affect the world of the living - a gift I have not yet awarded to any of your kind. Maybe, if one of you will move my heart, be it by valor or by love, will be given the opportunity to return to the living, but that will yet remain to be seen.

"For now, rest, o Noldo, and let the weariness of life and travail leave your spirit. Soon the time will come for you again have influence on those who took your body from you so wrongfully."

*~*

Dead players

Rikae and Mac - killed (and self-silenced) during Night1 - Mods
Mänwe - lynched on Day1

Once at least three (proper) people are dead, you will be able to vote for one fellow dead player at Night and learn whether s/he is a wolf or not. Even though you don't have anything to do yet except to wait for Day and company, the thread is all yours!

*(we were very tempted to let ourselves run free in the dead thread, but decided not to)

Last edited by Macalaure; 01-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Sup Mandos Got a spare chair..?

- oh come on Mac, Rikae I say let yourself run free...it'll only disturb those of the living and that's what "ghosts" do best!

Otherwise i'll have to set a record for the most consecutive posts or does Mandos have rules about that sort of thing here?

N.B. Fools
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)

Last edited by Mänwe; 01-27-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
If we post, though, how will we explain our total lack of knowledge? Only one of us is American, so that won't work.

As for rules, the only one I can think of is: all dead must make at least sixteen posts per Day and Night or be killed.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Haha! I like that one.

As for you posting..doesn't have to be WW related to this current game does it? I mean..you both could still have a lot to say as dead useless guards.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

You have company...

The living:

Nogrod
Aganzir
Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Nerwen
Loslote
Wilwa
Legate
Lommy

Nessa
Blind Guardian
satansaloser2005
the phantom
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Anguirel
Fea

The dead:
Macalaure
Rikae
Mänwe
Shasta

Day 2 has begun! Dead people, you can assign the day's double vote.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I kind of saw this coming, to be honest, but I'm infuriated nonetheless.

Hi, Manwe. I'll be going back to the land of the living in a little bit, anything you care to tell me?

Edit: Crossed with Rikae. Well, my vote is obvious, but I'm holding it for a moment - are these votes retractable at all, or not?

I mean, I'll obviously be voting for Agan, but I'm a little confused on when I'll be going back and if her having the double vote is likely to get her killed by the wolves. Of course, if she reveals like she planned to then that should be obvious, in which case it won't matter, but still.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White-Hand <- my dead cold hand

Ummm... hi I guess. What else am I supposed to say? Starting to read this thread now and I have to say it doesn't seem quite as mysterious from the insider's pow.

And this is most incosiderate, I was just loaded with an armada of votes on the living thread, now you're seeking to repeat that experience. How rude. This has to be the only ww-game ever where you get such double-bashings.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCC View Post
there is no reason for you to have an expanded girth or cellulite-filled hindquarters.
Aw, man. Cellulite-filled hindquarters are my favorite! Delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCC
To make the deal even juicier
Why do you keep talking about food? Is it because you're named after food? You see us as food? Either way, baddie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCC
woof down a whole pizza or some McDonald's french fries
So, you thought saying "wolf down" would be too obvious? That clinches it.

++RHCC
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
She's got pretty much all the points. Rikae, you're the Seer who dreamt of RHCC, aren't you!

++RHCC
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Joining the majority...

I think I am going to take this personally - cellulite filled hindquarters? Expanded waistline? As well as being grotesque in death. Don't you know grief can make you comfort eat and Death is the ultimate sedentary lifestyle? Grr. WOuld go to bed and sulk if I weren't so curious. sniffs

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Does anyone else find it alarming that the spambot posted "I know where you live"?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #13
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Uh-oh.

In a hurry but just a piece of information.

Lottie is an ordinary innocent.

Which means the wolves have been quite single-handedly steering the lynches the way they see fit.

And if Legate and Wilwa just gave up the game... then I see little hope for the village right now as they would have to really bring their act together toDay.

Unless one of the two is a wolf - which I doubt at the moment.

WHat is this RHCC everyone talks about? A spam or something? Well nevermind.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Suppose I may as well keen to myself....

Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Because Legate and Wilwa are not simply dead, but no longer playing, I've decided to reveal what their roles were (check the living narration).
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

We have known roles - Legate was a cobbler (got something right) and Wilwa a common or garden innocent. Bad news for the village is that they lost 3 non wolves in a night.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sorry, but I'm now going to end this "I know you can't trust me on this issue, but maybe you could be so nice as to consider..." etc. stuff and will go straight into how this game is now. You can then think yourselves whether you consider it worthwhile or not. Up to you.

Residents of Mandos:

Mänwe - ordinary innocent (N3 dream)
Nogrod - the seer
Blind Guardian - innocent whose role has been taken away
Feanor of the Peredhil - ordo or cobbler
Aganzir - Beren (also N1 dream)
Shastanis Althreduin - Lúthien
Thinlómien - ordo or cobbler
Nessa Telrunya - ordinary innocent (N4 dream)
Loslote - ordinary innocent (N5 dream)
Mithalwen - unknown innocent

In the living thread are still:

Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Nerwen
satansaloser2005
the phantom
- a cobbler (N2 dream)
Boromir88
Anguirel

So 8 players.

3 wolves (until either Wilwa or Legate were wolves) and at least one cobbler (tp). Unless Mith is the ranger, there are four innocents including the ranger and the hunter.

Be that as it may, the most probable scenario seems to be there are 3 wolves + 1-2 cobblers (wilwa or Legate could have been cobblers but probably not wolves) vs. 3-4 goodies.

Looking at how easily the wolves have handled the lynches thus far there is no reason to believe they'd fare any worse toDay with the remarkably smaller village where they are even able to take some risks toDay to meet their ends.

In any case, they need only two non-wolves killed and they win, while the chances that the villagers manage to actively lynch one of them are slim indeed, in not just nonexistent.

So in practise the thing that could grant us some added time is the hunter getting killed and taking one wolf down with her/him.

Here: enter the cobblers who know their math.

My prediction: the phantom will try to get lynched toDay to give the wolves a non-hunter to the gallows to make it safe for the wolves (and he'd love to get in here to spend even the last Night among us here - basically to brag; I presume ). And why not, if there is another cobbler, s/he might try the same... (whom, if identified correctly by the ranger would lead to the odd situation where the ranger's best bet would be to protect a cobbler...)

A ranger-save could prolong the game with at least one Day as well.

Although the wolves might drive for a double-lynch as well toDay.

All in all, I'm not too optimistic about the general situation, but I am slightly optimistic that we can come up with decently believable chart of the roles down there among the living with the aid of which we could try to help the villagers with the lynch - if they can pull their act together that much as to get one wolf contending for the lynching for real. Without that there's no way we can help them now.

EDIT: X'd with Rikae & Mith - So Legate was a cobbler! Good news for a change.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

YesterDay's voting:

Ang -> Lottie
Green -> Sally
Nerwen -> Elron
Sally -> Lottie 2
Lottie -> Wilwa
Glirdan -> Ang
NONWOLFMith -> Lottie 3
COBBLERtp -> Elron 2
Elron -> Boro
++ Ang -> Lottie 4

I'm somehow uneasy with Fea there.It may be I'm paranoid as she basically did well to prevent the double-lynch. But something still bugs me.

The reason for it I can see though: with Fea's decision it is clear Elron, whom many of us suspected more or less, was saved. Also Fea's claim to do that to prevent a double-lynch 9 minutes before the DL when there were still 7 votes possibly coming looks a bit odd and casts a doubt on to her motives behind the move.

This is what she said 9 minutes before the DL when changing her vote from Nerwen (voted Elron) to Anguirel (voted Lottie):
Quote:
I don't want to allow for a double lynch, so I'm going to change my vote since I haven't trusted Lottie in quite some time.
The interesting thing here is that the dead votes thus far had been:

Fea - Nerwen --> ed
Lommy - Greenie --> sally
Agan - Nerwen --> ed
Nog - Angu --> Lottie

And Shasta hadn't voted. The probability that if he turned around to vote was high he'd gone with Agan in voting Nerwen as well (thus giving our extravote against Elron). With changing her vote Fea made it sure our extravote would not go against Elron.

That scenario would then aptly explain her clear joy after the results came and her change of mind had actually prevented a double lynch (quite improbable at the time she changed her mind?):
Quote:
Aaaaand double lynch successfully avoided. You're welcome.
If we'd have time, I'd sure wish to check her for possible cobblery. But it may be we can't afford it at this point of the game. And if she is the other remaining cobbler, then we have a problem here trying to efectively help the village if she can throw in a last minute vote while most of the active dead are from Europe and thus harldy able to stay up to the DL to try and counter that...

I'm sorry Fea if you're not a cobbler, but I hope you see why I have come to these suspicions.

On another note. I am a bit disappointed with how the lynching of Lottie in fact went. While reading it yesterday in a hurry it felt like there were things going on and that we might be able to read something from it - but it does look more confusing now...

Well, we still have time to read and think.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Things are starting to happen?

What do you think of Ang's performance there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang on #673
I lean towards advising Glorfindel to come out, really. We have so little other information.
Now as is, the identity of the ranger would be the second last piece the wolves are missing from their puzzle - and it woud grant them a secure & non-hunter Night kill giving them the victory if they just lynch someone right toDay.

But then again, if Mith is not the ranger (which I was kind of hoping for for a few reasons we might discuss later) as she hasn't claimed to be it, then a ranger-Ang could have been the one protecting her, and thus his suggestion might be a trap for the wolves or cobblers to come forwards promoting it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang #671
I distrust the phantom with extreme prejudice. I don't like his immediate if typical attempt to claim the Day's direction and steer it towards Elron, a vulnerable, easy-to-lynch candidate whom he knows many people (me for instance) vaguely suspect. As in WW I itself, our "two luminaries", phantom and Boro, the great statistical plotters, are at war. It is very unlikely that both are guilty. At the moment I would also say that neither are wolves, and that phantom is, after all, a Cobbler.

Which means we cannot dismiss that aboriginal question. Was Nogrod telling the truth?
Once again going both ways... Is this Ang the wolf signalling to tp that they are now confident about him (note the added comment on me being right initially when telling him to be the cobbler), and telling him to stay away from Elron? Maybe even telling him to stay away from Boro as well? He even goes to underline his pointing to tp in the end of the same post:
Quote:
damnation, I seem genuinely only to suspect the phantom now. Consumed in obsession. And I don't even think he's a wolf, just a Cobbler.
Or is he just making the innocent's (ranger's?) fair POV that it might be I was right and that tp is the cobbler, and that he fairly thinks Elron is a "vaguely suspected easy lynch". (Then again it would be the wolfy-way of trying to save your mate.)

Also, after hearing about Legate having been a cobbler he ponders whether that puts an end to my believability.But still feel the need to post once more to state this:
Quote:
there's probably still a cobbler around, even if I'm pretty sure his name is phantom
And that in a post where he also speculates whether we still have two or three wolves around, claiming not to understand the maths and thus being not too aware of the direness of the situation... (which a wlf would know exactly, that this is more or less the decisive Day - and getting the name of the ranger would be crucial...)

I can see Ang both ways but right now I'm more tempted to lean towards him being a crafty wolf. It's not a wide margin though and partly rests on my quite unfounded assumption that Elron could be a wolf, and that he's better in maths than that.

What do you think?