The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2022, 09:40 PM   #1281
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Eye

I was in the PNW for the weekend for a family event and was able to meet up with THE Ka, TheGreatElvenWarrior and finally meet Laurinquë - I found a little tavern under a game store called Helm's Deep where we drank many Eye of Saurons (which had no business being that delicious) and some mead (which wasn't the best but was plentiful) and wondered at the tape measures and models of the gamers (there was some sort or tournament going on). A few days later I was able to meet TGEW and Laurinquë again and we had dinner & snacks in flower crowns while overlooking the water where we saw a probable skeleton. It was good to see friends again and I hope the next time isn't as many years in the future.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #1282
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I was in the PNW for the weekend for a family event and was able to meet up with THE Ka, TheGreatElvenWarrior and finally meet Laurinquë - I found a little tavern under a game store called Helm's Deep where we drank many Eye of Saurons (which had no business being that delicious) and some mead (which wasn't the best but was plentiful) and wondered at the tape measures and models of the gamers (there was some sort or tournament going on). A few days later I was able to meet TGEW and Laurinquë again and we had dinner & snacks in flower crowns while overlooking the water where we saw a probable skeleton. It was good to see friends again and I hope the next time isn't as many years in the future.
Sounds wonderful. I could do with a good downer meet-up before too long.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:46 PM   #1283
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Return of the Pitch

Twelve years had passed since the legendary & unforgettable Finlandmoot of 2011, six since Legate’s visit to our household in 2017. Communications had gone to and fro every now and then, agreeing about the desirability of another RL meeting, without reaching fruition. At one point the idea of a 10-year anniversary gathering in 2021 was pondered, but we all know how that ended, and nothing happened… until this summer.

Mrs Pitch and myself had originally been planning a tour of the Baltic in our mobile home, including a detour to Finland, and I had been in contact with Legate to make arrangements, but when these plans fell down upon th’ inventors’ heads for various reasons I kind of invited myself solo to Helsinki on short notice, and the Finns, hospitable folks that they are, rolled with it. Nogrod, who had recently moved into a spacier home, accomodated me on his comfy couch, and Legate provided bedding so I could travel lightly.

Times have changed in the last 12 years. Lommy and Legate have become parents, with all the responsibilities that entails, and everybody had things to do, but the various members of Clan Nogrod (of which there are now three generations!) did everything to make me feel welcome and between them always found some way of making every day one to remember. We spent an afternoon and morning at Clan Nog’s lovely lakeside cabin/cottage (cabbage?!?) in the middle of the woods until the neekerbreekers drove us away, and I befriended Lommy’s and Legate’s adorable little werepenguin-cum-seagull chick, who initially regarded this strange German with due suspicion but gradually warmed up. It was a pleasure to watch her explore her environment and her ability to affect it; her shrieking conversations with the actual seagull chicks who had their nest on the cabin roof gave rise to speculations about a totemic relationship. Also A Little Green as an aunt is almost as adorable as the werechicklet herself!

In other news, we visited Espoo Cathedral with its remarkable murals in a style I can only describe as 16th Century Northern Primitivism, a lovely park of many-coloured rhododendrons and azaleas near Lommy's and Legate's place, as well as the island of Vallisaari, once a restricted military area, now reclaimed by nature and the Helsinki Biennial with some striking art exhibitions. Nog led me on a fruitful raid of Helsinki’s various bookshops, and I had the opportunity to sample various specialties of traditional Finnish cuisine, from sautéd reindeer to espresso vodka with tar schnaps (which tasted way better than it sounds!), accompanied by the restaurant’s homemade ale. Time flew, and all too soon the day came when I, too, had to take flight again on a Lufthansa crane so we could all go about our everyday lives again.

Special mention has to go to Nog, whose fabled cooking has in no way lessened (you should see his collection of international cookbooks!). I really enjoyed our conversations over breakfast and in the evening when the day was done, they were always interesting and engaging. (Also we watched the first two Alien films on TV, and Nog fell asleep during the first and I during the second; no offense to Ridley Scott and James Cameron!) Also to Legate who handled all the preliminary organising to make it all happen! Last not least to Mrs Pitch who took care of everything at home while I was away. <3

In short, it was a wonderful time spent in the company of wonderful people, and I hope we can meet again on whatever turf without taking another 12 years!

(Clockwise inward from the left: Pitchwife, Thinlomien, Legate of Amon Lanc, Nogrod, A Little Green, the Werechicklet)

Last edited by Pitchwife; 06-24-2023 at 05:06 PM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #1284
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's great to see all of you! It's been a while since any moots were to be had, and it's so fun to see the pictures! I feel like besides Greenie's long hair, none of you have changed. The Werechicklet looks a lot bigger too now. ^.^