The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #1641
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, if they're not reading it, they're missing out.

I really like the way you deal with your storytelling in P&A, and the little experiments you do with perspective.

And I'll sign up for the comic break.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #1642
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Dear Editor:

I have heard that you recently opined the lack of interest in the Barrow Downs Newspaper, and a pronounced apathy on the part of your once avid readership. Well, I can tell you from a personal point of view that from the moment I picked up your newspaper until I laid it down I was convulsed in laughter. Some day I actually intend to read it. But seriously, from everything I've been told the 'Downer is not a publication to be tossed aside lightly; on the contrary, it should be thrown with great force.

Sincerely and with the deepest admiration,
Rt. Rev. Churl Malapert
Taunter, Church of St. Sardonicus the Saucy
Trenchant-on-Wry, Flippantshire
Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #1643
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I read The Downer twice as much as anyone on this forum, but not as much as Schizophrenia Weekly. The Downer is a great newspaper, but not as good as The Sun for lighting fires, in fact I have lost a number of computers attempting to burn down my house for insurance purposes. We are both avid readers of your blurb, and so am I.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #1644
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I really like the way you deal with your storytelling in P&A, and the little experiments you do with perspective.
Eexactly. And this P&A was just fantastic, and now I am really getting curious on how things are going to turn out. My mind is also starting to spin weird theories
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #1645
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
My mind is also starting to spin weird theories
Do feel free to share them.

P&A Artists of the future... or something...;

Oddwen
TheGreatElvenWarrior

Anyone else?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-06-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #1646
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am in no way an artist (I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler), but the 'Downer was one of the first things that attracted me to this forum. (Even if I showed displeasure in being mentioned in it )

P.S. People say I can draw a really good cow, I take pride in my cows, that's the extent of my abilities however...so if you ever need somebody to draw you a cow, just ask.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #1647
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
P.S. People say I can draw a really good cow, I take pride in my cows, that's the extent of my abilities however...so if you ever need somebody to draw you a cow, just ask.

Well then...can you draw an adventure...wherin Phantom and Alien are stuck in a cow suit together? ;P

Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1648
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I can draw something Phantom and Alien related... probably. I've already had an idea in my head for months.

By the way, Hookbill I read the Downer and the Phantom and Alien every week, so does my brother. So don't feel like no one reads it. There is actually quite a fan base.

EDIT: I want to see Tardises on the 'Downs, this is sad news.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 04-06-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Tardises
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #1649
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The plot thickens! I'm loving it, Hookbill! Can't wait to see how this season finishes.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #1650
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Thanks for your support, folks. I'm starting to feel better about it all now.

Well, I suppose this Phalian adventure should be carrying on...

Look at the previous episodes!

Do you remember the mention of the 'giant monsters that shoot fire'? I hope you do. It was all the way back in episode 9 of this volume!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #1651
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Seems I've come late to the "Cheer Up Hookbill" party, but anyway: the "Downer" is hilarious. P&A likewise. (Unfortunately, we your readers have been taking you for granted...)
Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #1652
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Aye, that we have. I read this crazy thing just about everyday and I love it. Don't stop!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #1653
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles speak up, not down

The Downer is one of the few things I still take the time to read here, let alone comment on. Perhaps my limited participation isn't as phenomonal as say...the great Phantom, but I think it might count for something.

If you want still want some help writting articles/headlines/etc come May, I maybe inclined to help.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #1654
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I rather like this tall orange person! He looks like a bug... Well at least his eyes! It makes me giggle!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #1655
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's Friday. It's 12:01. It's Phantom and Alien time. The horror! The horror!

Look at the previous episodes!

This is what I like to call a " plotty " episode. Not much of a punch line, but just moving the story along a bit. Hope you don't mind... There are one or two of these as we get nearer the BIG EPIC ENDING.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #1656
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Am I getting too old for this?

Oh! Thanks to Sally and Mnemosny for the phantom article! (I had to cut it down a bit, it was too long. Hope you don't mind).

The Phantom continues his interlectual discussion with the giant Orange Monster that shoots fire. Like you do.

Don't forget about the Comic Archive

Right, I'll be sending out the challenges to people for P&A drawings at the end of this week, so if you want to be part of it, speak up!
So far we have;

- Oddwen
- TheGreatElvenWarrior
- Aganzir

More people would be splendid! You should have plenty of time to think and draw, so don't worry about it too much. Just try and make us all laugh about the sad things in life. Or, if you're feeling lazy, have Alien be sick on someone...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-13-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #1657
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Moreover, I'm hoping to rejig it a bit and will be wanting more stories send in from you Downers.
I think I sent you something like ages ago.

Anyway I virtually cracked up at the phantom article. It was hilarious.

And I'd like to participate in the P&A thingy too.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #1658
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I think I sent you something like ages ago.
And I never used it? Oh crumbs! Sorry, I must have lost it.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #1659
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
And I never used it? Oh crumbs! Sorry, I must have lost it.
No problem, I can send it again. It wasn't even that good, though.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #1660
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Ah. Phantom and Alien time. Sorry, hectic day for me, pushed it out of my mind. Well, better late than never I suppose...

Things are really hotting up now. With a massive army marching into the Downs it's up to Alien, lal and Lommy to find a way of stopping them. But what help can Underhill offer?

Don't forget to look back at the Previous Episodes. There may be some clues.

Is there anyone else interested in signing up for the next P&A challenge? So far we have;

- Oddwen
- TheGreatElvenWarrior
- Aganzir

More people would be great! Fun times with Phantom and Alien are made better by the... um... I really don't know where I was going with this...
Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #1661
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #859

I love the army of orange people, nice shading effect. Also, I continue to love the how ominous Mr. Underhill looks, like a shadow with slits for eyes.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #1662
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
To the editorial staff --
I must make plain my displeasure at your copyreader's inability to properly spell check your headlines, particularly when the blurb regards yours truly. In the 'Downer edition from Week #144, I noticed the following: "Rivendel elects Moth as new leader". Let's ignore the fact that the Westron variation of Imladris is spelled R-i-v-e-n-d-e-l-l, but the text in total should have read: Rivendell elects Morth as new leader". Yes, the Dark Elves have taken over Imladris from the decadent Noldorin pansies.

We of the Moriquendi have been for quite some time taken aback by the Noldor's seeming nonchalance at prostituting out their daughters to mere mortals. The whole Aragorn/Arwen debacle was the straw that broke the mûmak's back, so to speak. Add to that Galadriel playing a strumpet to a Dwarf, and one can plainly see that the Noldorin leadership is evidently a few strands short of a full head of hair, and the Moriquendi have taken action, shipping the remaining Noldorin faction to a long retirement in Valinor (where they can eternally bask in the glow of Manwe for all we care).

In conclusion, we request that your copyreader be executed post-haste for gross negligence. Torture will not be necessary, unless it eventually ends the life of said copyreader.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
Morthoron
Executive Officer of the Week (elected in turn, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting
by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more pressing matters relating to national and/or international referendums)
Dark Elves Revolting Against Noldorin Gratuitous Engagements
-- An Anarcho-syndicalist Commune of Rivendell
Old 04-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #1663
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Dear Morthoron,

I think you'll find we were referring to Rivendel, which is located four miles in the sky and is built out of solid plutonium. It is there that a moth has, indeed, taken over. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Yours,

Some guy who lives in the bins outside The Downer's printing press...

Now, seeing as Wednesday's Phantom and Alien came a little late, I'll post this one up extra early. Hope you enjoy it!
The end draws ever nearer. The truth about The Fish Man is made slightly clearer. But the mysteries are far from all revealed!

Keep up with this story HERE! It's fun!

Later today I'll be sending out the first challenges for anyone who has signed up for the 'fan comics' bit coming up after Volume 2 ends. So, sign up for that if you want to get involved!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #1664
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I never thought that the Fish Man would think that. That's like Hookbill the Goomba putting up pictures of David Tennant on his wall... That just doesn't happen!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #1665
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Haha, the season one picture of Phantom was a nice touch.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #1666
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Haha, the season one picture of Phantom was a nice touch.
Yay! I was wondering if anyone would notice that.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #1667
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Whoa, I have certainly missed a bunch! Looks like this will be fun with catching up!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #1668
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

With just five weeks before I take a break, danger is really hotting up on the Downs!

Special thanks to Aganzir for the second story.

With Lommy off fighting in the battle, Death appeares, but he needs help. Alien's help?

Look out for the Comic Archive!

We're just two weeks away from the climactic conclusion to Volume 2! It's exciting, it's weird and has at least one more explosion. That can't be bad. Or can it?
Don't forget, after Volume 2 ends we'll have a three-part special adventure for that crime fighting duo Phanston and Ailsbry, followed by some special challenge comics from Oddwen, TheGreatElvenWarrior and Aganzir (any one else want to sign up for that?) and THEN we'll have the prologue to volume three. The week after that, it'll be time to batten down the hatches, take a strong drink and get ready for the most insane adventures The Phantom and Alien have seen yet!

Or something...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-20-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #1669
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Aha! I knew that there would be pictures! Though I didn't know that the whole honey experiment was why Lommy went.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #1670
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Aha! I knew that there would be pictures! Though I didn't know that the whole honey experiment was why Lommy went.
Oh, but that's an old pic.

Hookbill and Aganzir, you're both crazy.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #1671
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hookbill and Aganzir, you're both crazy.
Quite As if we haven't known that already anyway...

Hey, but Hookbill, I see you became as impulsive with the articles again

And btw, who is Grurt Molatchol? That sounds like Fungoltch & Schmurt's father. (What, they have a common father? *gasp* Actually, well, why not. And who knows what's under that hood.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #1672
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And btw, who is Grurt Molatchol? That sounds like Fungoltch & Schmurt's father. (What, they have a common father? *gasp* Actually, well, why not. And who knows what's under that hood.)
It's just a name I made up off the top of my head. But, why not? Fungotch and Schmurt need parental guidance.
Which reminds me, we've just finished an episode where ALIEN'S FATHER is revealed. And it just gets weirder from there. Considering who his mother is...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #1673
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
It's just a name I made up off the top of my head. But, why not? Fungotch and Schmurt need parental guidance.
Which reminds me, we've just finished an episode where ALIEN'S FATHER is revealed. And it just gets weirder from there. Considering who his mother is...
Wow! Cool! Well, I did not like his mother that much, but perhaps the father is going to be far cooler!

Oh, and Hookbill, I've been planning to tell you that for some time already, but somehow never managed to do so - I wonder if that's a sign of something. A few times, I've been "replaying" Phantom&Alien dialogues from the videos with my brother when we were walking somewhere, or such (Lommy had actually witnessed one, so that's what reminded me of telling you). Or, we have been "singing" the background music to Fungoltch&Schmurt video.

"Is it just me... or are adverts getting... weirder..." "How did you get a TV?"

(Okay, and now we had to re-watch it. Twice. )

Oh, and btw, we were wondering which language did you use when recording the Fungoltch&Schmurt video (as it obviously isn't English). We came to these conclusions: Obviously, it's some language recorded backwards. At one point, I came up with a theory that perhaps it's actually this Fungoltish language (the one used in the comics), but just played backwards. To that, my brother reacted, saying that possibly it's Fungoltish that has been recorded backwards and then played backwards.

Moldutch? Gimifril!!! ( <= Yea, I want a t-shirt saying that! Wow, now that would be cool!)
Old 04-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #1674
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Oh, Legate, you do make me laugh. Let's just say that the episode where we see Alien's father is called "Happy" Families. I should also point out that Alien's mother is given a much broader character in Volume 3, so maybe you'll learn to like her. Or hate here more. Who knows.

I hope you quote The Whimsical Adventures of Sir Phantom and his associate, Mister Alan. "Well, no harm done" "Quite."
Yes, that background music in Fungoltch & Schmurt gets in my head ALL THE TIME. you can thank my brother for that particular masterpiece.

The language is German, played backwards. Fans of a certain 80's German electro pop band may recognise the words. But still, I'm always happy to maintain that the title of that cartoon, Fungotch and Schmurt Save Christmas, was entirely justified...

I agree. I have often thought about making a P&A related T-Shirt or two for myself, but I never seem to have the time / money.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #1675
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I hope you quote The Whimsical Adventures of Sir Phantom and his associate, Mister Alan. "Well, no harm done" "Quite."
Not much yet, but it's certainly quoteworthy

We mainly like Alien's voice, because it's all too funny!

Quote:
Yes, that background music in Fungoltch & Schmurt gets in my head ALL THE TIME. you can thank my brother for that particular masterpiece.
You can thank him for me...

Quote:
The language is German, played backwards. Fans of a certain 80's German electro pop band may recognise the words. But still, I'm always happy to maintain that the title of that cartoon, Fungotch and Schmurt Save Christmas, was entirely justified...
Yes, I remembered you said once what it is, but that did not prevent us from speculating

Quote:
I agree. I have often thought about making a P&A related T-Shirt or two for myself, but I never seem to have the time / money.
Hmm, well, if you ever start mass-making fan-stuff, just tell.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #1676
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, it's Wednesday, we're just seven episodes away from the finale. And things are really hotting up for The Phantom and Alien!
The Downs is on the brink of total destruction. Death has a plan, but can The Phantom deal with his work partner?

Catch up on the story here!

What's going to happen? What on earth could Death be planning? Can YOU guess?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #1677
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Well Hooketybill, you've certainly done it now. I saw that and just had to make this.

I hope you're happy, because I immediately dove into your archives and made twelve more. Like this one!

The rest of them can be viewed at the Barrowdowns LJ community, for the low low price of 9.99.

Please don't club the seals.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #1678
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, just for you, here's two exclusive Volume Three icons!

You may have noticed I've yet to release any pictures of Volume 3 Phantom. Odd that, isn't it. ;D
Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #1679
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Dear urbanhobbitssociety,

My only response to your letter comes in the form of a paraphrase of Monty Python. Like so;
Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam, eggs, Scam, Scam, Scam, bacon, Scam, Scam, Scam and Scam.

Yours,

The Ghost of The Editor.

And now, for you real Downers out there, here's your Firday dosage of Phalian.

The Archive is here! In case you've missed an episode or two...
Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #1680
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Wow, after reading the P&A before this last one I noticed for the first time that Phantom has green hands! That gives some validity to the theory that they have the same father.