The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2002, 02:11 AM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting Poems and Songs

Though many quotes from the book were used in the FOTR movie, no poems or songs were really mentioned. But now it is said that there will be some poems and songs in the extended version.

From what I've heard, Aragorn will sing the song about Beren and Luthien.

Also, I am happy to say that it is confirmed that Sam will say his poem about Gandalf's rockets. This one:
Quote:
The finest rockets ever seen:
they burst in stars of blue and green
or after thunder golden showers
came falling like a rain of flowers.
Hmmm. That makes me think. Perhaps Frodo will also recite his lament for Gandalf.

Does anyone know of any other songs or poems that will be in the extended version? Also, do you think that there will be any included in the upcoming TTT and ROTK movies?

Personally, I hope PJ will at least include Sam's poem about the ophilaunts. It's my fav poem!

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 03:20 AM   #2
Alatàriell

Sting

I dont know about there being more songs/poems in TTT and ROTK, but I hope there will be more of them. I feel that the films lose something from the books by not including some of the songs and poetry, but apparently there will be another song in the extended DVD, so I'm looking forward to that!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
darkrose

Sting

I have to say, I was quite upset when they didn't include the song Frodo merrily sings at Bree, the "cow jumps over the moon" song, in the FOTR film. Oh well, my brother said it would've been "too British" for American audiences, as Tom Bombadil would have, too.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:25 AM   #4
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Doh! What do you mean, too British? I am not British and I loved that song. But I agree that Americans don't exactly go for more ' subtle' forms of entertainment <BR> <BR> And did they think that making Frodo trip like a fool over Pip's foot was any better, or 'funnier' or whatever? I thought it was plain dumb.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:26 AM   #5
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I agree with you there, Evisse the Blue. I did not really approve of the way Frodo abruptly toppled backwards and then magically caught the ring on his finger in the movie. I would have much preferred seeing Frodo leap and skip on the table, singing...<P>But...picture an American audience gawking at the incredibly British song and dance. I'm American too, and I have to say, although I would've enjoyed it, most of the people I know who hadn't read the books probably would've been baffled and skeptical. <P>To me, taking into consideration the way they did the movie thus far before Bree, having Frodo perform his song would have been out of place and out of the question.<P>But hey, to each his own.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:31 AM   #6
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The ability to appreciate "subtle" forms of entertainment is certainly not the sole prerogative of the British, or any other Europeans. Why do Americans sell themselves short by thinking themselves all dumb, uneducated, unsophisticated, carnal slobs, capable of only gawking? Robert Frost is no modern American icon, but neither is Tennyson a modern British icon. True, American culture prefers Aristotle over Sophocles, Cicero over Virgil, and Tennessee Williams over William Shakespeare, but this doesn't make American culture backwards or incapable of grasping the subtle. Dumb, uneducated, unsophisticated, carnal slobs exist everywhere, not just in America. If Jackson dumbed down LotR, he dumbed it down for everyone, not just Americans.<P>I think Jackson didn’t use the poetry because it didn’t fit with his vision or artistic style. Looking at Peter Jackson's past work, his main repertoire was the good old B horror flick (excepting one, and maybe The Frighteners), and B horror flicks aren't known for their artistic portrayal of quality poetry or song. Anyway, I think the movie was better for it, for obvious editorial reasons, and, because I (personal opinion here) really don’t care that much for Tolkien’s poetry. Not that I have anything against poetry, or am incapable of grasping the "subtle". In fact, aside from a few bad examples of alliteration (that was probably intentional, anyway), its not bad poetry. However, its hardly on the same level as a Gerald Manly Hopkins!<P>But you are right! To each their own!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must agree that PJ probably was going for more action and less frivolity. It sells better in the long run. <BR>I surely will enjoy listening to Viggo sing/chant at the campfire before Weathertop.<BR> <BR>Frankly, it's not that Americans sell themselves short. It's that most young people concern themselves with whether or not Mummy or Daddy is going to take them to the mall to buy them those $150 dollar sneakers! Looking good in the eyes of their peers tends to drag a child down the IQ ladder. I myself spent most of my days in school trying to live down the fact that everyone thought I was an "egghead". It wasn't good for social status to be "too smart". Being discovered reading poetry outside the classroom instantly marks you. <BR>I wish that children would be taught that reading is not just for school; and that learning is the higher form of elevating one's status - not dressing for it.<P>If more adults would pay attention to home educating their children this surely would not happen. And don't tell me, "I have no time to educate my children, that's the school's job!" My parents both worked and had only 1 hour a night to devote to me and my brothers. They did so by reading to us every night before bed. When we got old enough, we read to each other. Rather simple, yes? <BR>I hope that each of us will do our part in teaching the next generation the values of reading. Grab them while they're young, before they're tainted! <p>[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-17-2002, 01:39 PM   #8
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just my two cents worth... I was really looking forward to hearing Elijah Wood and Sean Astin sing their characters' poems "The Man in the Moon stayed up too Late" and "The Stone Troll". I sing these and others to my own children. As far as Frodo tripping in Bree, it fits as whole in the movie because he was tripping everywhere!
Old 09-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #9
Aradaewen
Haunting Spirit

Aradaewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aradaewen Send a message via AIM to Aradaewen
Sting

Are we allowed to post our own LotR poems here? <P><I>Four hobbits and a wizard<BR>With a quest to destroy the Ring<BR>Stopped at Bree to stay the night<BR>and met up with a King.<BR>They went to Elrond's Rivendell<BR>and picked up three more friends<BR>going east unto Mordor<BR>E'er there their journey ends.<BR>Under the Mines of Moria<BR>Dwarf and goblin wars<BR>Battling fiercely with the orcs<BR>Down through the darkened floors.<BR>Gandalf gone over the bridge<BR>Fellowship carries on, and<BR>Found the fair site of Lothlorien<BR>Before the new day's dawn.<BR>From there they go down Anduin<BR>the Uruk-Hai arrive<BR>More fighting and more bloodshed<BR>Boromir does not survive.<BR>As Lord Boromir lays dying<BR>Pip and Merry are dragged away<BR>There is more unto this story, <BR>But it'll wait for another day.<BR></I><P>I just came up with this now, and I don't think it's that shabby. If I had put the whole triligy in there, I would end up with page 2 all to myself. What do you think? All feedback welcome.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:24 PM   #10
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's one of mine:<P>(OK ok, two of mine)...<P><B>The Battle of Helm's Deep</B><P>Over fields far and wide<BR>We must ride! We must ride!<BR>For the fortress of Helm's Deep<BR>We must keep! We must keep!<P>Though a fierce foe may come<BR>Sounding drum! Sounding drum!<BR>Let the horns of Helm's Deep ring<BR>We will sing! We will sing!<P>Ever this will be our song,<BR>Though the battle rages long,<BR>Theoden King rides once again<BR>Mustering his valiant men!<P>Onward ride now, Rohirrim!<BR>Though the day is growing dim<BR>We must fight long ere the end,<BR>For Rohan we must now defend!<P>Over coomb and dike they come<BR>Never, though, shall we succumb.<BR>We will fight till our last breath.<BR>To the death! To the death!<P>Ever come they, on and on<BR>Hoards of Saruman's evil spawn,<BR>Blasting at the gate with fire<BR>Devilry from Orthanc's spire.<P>Now let the Horn of Helm resound<BR>Though the enemy may surround<BR>We'll ride forth, though they are strong,<BR>At least we may be worth a song.<P>Look! For now the break of day<BR>Reveals in the valley lay<BR>A mighty forest tall and fierce<BR>The hearts of foes it does pierce<P>And hither comes the Rider-White<BR>Tall and terrible in his might.<BR>With Glamdring gleaming in his hand<BR>And a host at his command.<P>Before us now the foes do flee<BR>Between the mighty King the tree.<BR>In their fear long they did wail<BR>And none alive escaped that vale.<P>Now onward! Onward let us ride!<BR>Gandalf, the White Rider, cried.<BR>And from that valley rode again<BR>The host of Rohan's valiant men.<P>________________________________<P><B>Balla d of the Elves</B><P>No fairer words were ever spoke<BR>Than of immortal Elven folk<BR>Who shone forth bright eternal light<BR>When under stars they first awoke<P>They walked in forest and in glen<BR>And woke, what sleeping once had been<BR>Remembered long in poem and song<BR>They set down tales with magic pen<P>The stars shone bright above the trees<BR>And carried on the western breeze<BR>In days of yore, when Valinor<BR>Was not yet set beyond the seas<P>With evil ever was their fight<BR>But Sauron tricked them in his might<BR>They forged three rings to heal all things<BR>He forged the One to douse their light<P>So elves and men who would not yield<BR>Marched forth upon the battle field<BR>And cut the band from off his hand<BR>And for a time the land was healed<P>But ever evil grew concealed<BR>Until again, pow'r it did wield<BR>And one last dream lay not in scheme<BR>But folly would be their last shield<P>Hobbits, dwarf, elf, and men<BR>Put forth on quest to once again<BR>Evil defeat, and death to cheat<BR>To destroy Isildur's Bane<P>The sound of tiny Hobbit feet<BR>Into Mordor, doom to greet<BR>Threw in Mt. Doom, the firey tomb<BR>of that One Ring, Sauron's defeat<P>Now evil finally is banned<BR>And healing brought back to the land<BR>But the three rings of Elven Kings<BR>Fade, that which was made by their band<P>Many Elven ships then bore<BR>Them overseas to Valinor,<BR>To dwell with kin, never again<BR>To cross the sea to mortal's shore<P>But some remained, did not depart<BR>For ever here will dwell their heart<BR>For in our veins, their blood remains<BR>And strength to men they still impart
Old 09-19-2002, 03:59 PM   #11
Aradaewen
Haunting Spirit

Aradaewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aradaewen Send a message via AIM to Aradaewen
Sting

*sighs and wipes away tears* They're very, very, VERY cool! Are you a professional poet? The second one about the elves *sniff* almost made me cry. I like them a lot. Good job!