The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting Middle-earth's First Annual Invention Convention

Welcome to Middle-earth's First Annual Invention Convention!

Elves, dwarves, hobbits, men, or any other creatures from Middle-earth, here is the chance to create an invention of your own and display to the public!

Here are the rules:

1. The characters must be from Tolkien's work and not from your own.
2. Stay in character. Pick a character and keep with it. Each character may only be used once.
3. Try to be creative. Make up an invention that you think a particular character of Tolkien would create and find useful. Please do not use any modern technology.
4. Be competitive. Let your character brag and show off their invention.
5. Have fun! The point of this is to find out who will become Middle-earth's version of Thomas Edison.

After a time, I will call it time for voting on who has the most creative invention.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:22 PM   #2
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Aragorn: I'd like to show you my invention. When you're wondering around in the wild, you can't carry a lot with you. You've got to consolidate. That's why I invented the swork. It's like a spork, only instead of a fork and spoon, it's a fork and sword.

Then after that, I figured, why not add some more features. And that's how I came up with the Ranger Survival Sword. Contained in compartments all over the hilt and crosstree are tools such as flint (for starting fires), forks and knives (for eating of course), tweezers (for those nasty orc darts), hair conditioner (for you elves out there), a magic ring (with a certificate of authenticity), and much more!!!

This sword is a must have for anyone undertaking long journeys and quests, and it's also a must have for sword collectors. I guarantee this sword will change the way you wonder in the wild!!
Old 01-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

SAM: Non stick frying pans/ pans in general!!! And bug reppelant - would Gollum count as a bug? He does annoy Sam like one.
Freezable beer mug. Keeps his beer nice and cold when you put in the fridge - and there's aother one! A nice fridge to keep all of his food nice. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:11 AM   #4
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Sting

**SAM blushes. She didn't read the rule properly.** Okay ignore that. sorry **Blushes redder** Okay. Come and see this amazing, this brilliant Mud in a Box. A brilliant prezzent!!!! Just head down to Lothlorien to get hold of one!!!
(It's not very good is it)
Old 01-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aw man, why'd you have to throw in the "no modern technology" clause? I was gonna have Pippin invent the first beer (or ale) hat!
(Best said with Irish accent) "You see, your pints of ale go here, one on either side of the helmet, and these hoses lead from the top of them down to your mouth. If you suck on the end of the hose, you can immediately take a refreshing draught of ale without having to lift a finger. Who's the fool now?!"
Okay, that was bad, but couldn't you just see Pippin wearing one of those stupid things?
Old 01-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Scottish accent, you mean....

Wel, I can't do Pippin...but I have not the inclination to do anyone else at the moment. *sigh* (Loved the swork, there, lord of dor-lomin). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Thumbs up

Ghost of Denethor: Well, in these busy days, being dead is no picnic in the field, I tell you. Especially if you are trying to lead your life normally and come to terms with your new-found luminosity. But then some smart-alec goes and lets light enter the room. Now, that's all very well, but it renders any spectral being invisible. I have come across this problem so many times, that I thought one day, Eureka! (only Greece isn't even formed yet, so you see I am well ahead of my time). An ordinary club, you see, but [ed: a quote from a great film comes into mind at this point: "Legkim dvizheniem ruki, bruki prevrascayutsya...prevraschayutsya bruki...v ellegantniye shorti!"] with an easy hand movement it is magically transformed into a...
Club with an opening for the last shards of Ungoliant's shadow! The shadow was kindly donated by an..ahem..friend. Absolutely guaranteed to fill any room and make one absolutely visible!

***NEW!!!*** I made this for my darrrling sons. It may look like an ordinary glove, but there is a secret extendo-arm to grab rings of power which even the best Gondorian hands cannot reach. Available in two sizes: small and xxl. Colours: Forest Green and Foliage Green.

Well, that was my attempt. So far the swork wins, I think.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]
Old 01-09-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehehe! I like that last bit!
Old 01-09-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

*Gimli holds up an ordinary saddle, but smaller with a strange leather strap hanging off it.

Gimli: Presenting the all new saddle for dwarves! Not only is it made to make a dwarf's bottom side especially comfortable, but it also features this. *holds up leather strap* A seatbelt! Strap yourself in and buckle, *demonstrates* and you'll never have to worry about falling off a horse again (as from experience, I know it can be quite painful). Oh, and did I mention the Dwarven runes that are engraved onto the saddle? A special addition I added to make my invention look more appealing. *smiles proudly*

(ooc: For all you who are wondering about the no modern technology rule, what I specifically meant was no electronics of any sort. You may use something that's already been invented in our world as long as it seems believable to exist in Middle-earth. Though, I would rather have you create something of your own as it will give you a better shot at the creativity award. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])