The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #41
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
There's a place that I know of, called Ent Town. (hmmm. Maybe I can find the lost entwives there..... )
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #42
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
In the spirit of reviving an old thread...

I found this while in Bruges, Belgium:

The restaurant was listed in my travel book, so of course I had to find it. Sadly, the owners were away on holiday and it was closed.

Apparently there was a pub called Bistro Tolkien nearby, but somehow I missed that...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #43
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
In the 60's when my mother was a hippie she co-owned a coffee shop called Middle Earth. It was this counter-culture place against the Viatnam war and of course, a place to dicuss LOTR among equals in a time before the internet and the barrow-downs.

Also, when I was in Hawaii this Christmas I saw in the guide book a place called Middle Earth Books, I was so excited. But when I got there it turned out that it had been put out of busness due to a new Borders Books, a big chain of book stores we have in the states, I don't know whether you have them in Europe.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #44
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
I found this while in Bruges, Belgium:

The restaurant was listed in my travel book, so of course I had to find it. Sadly, the owners were away on holiday and it was closed.

Apparently there was a pub called Bistro Tolkien nearby, but somehow I missed that...
That image!!! That's from Brian Froud and Alan Lee's Fairies!
So appropriate, Lee wise.

Sorry, can't help an Alan Lee sighting.

That is sad to hear they were out, it looks like it would be a load of fun, for both the name and the image.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 AM   #45
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In Finland...

We have Kontu (the Shire).
An observatory called Metsähovi (Woodhall).
And a grocery store Keskimaa (Middle-earth).

Also, Örkkitie (Orc Road) and Melkonkuja (Melko's Lane)...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #46
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Not sure what the problem is, in Prague we have a part - it used to be a village, but it's been a part of the city for some time - that's called Hůrka (Bree). I'm going around often, resp. riding around often with metro. Another parts of Prague are Přední Kopanina and Zadní Kopanina, which are not exactly Michel Delving and Little Delving, but rather "Near Delving" and "Far Delving", but anyway, one can't help himself when seeing that. Of course there are many hills named Větrov (Weathertop) throughout the country...

And the thing that really shook me, there is a valley a short walk from my home, and there's a hill in a forest (further from the city). When I was small, I called it Dol Guldur. Now, about half a year after I joined the Downs, I discovered that in fact it's named Holý Vrch... which practically means Amon Lanc
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #47
Alonna
Animated Skeleton

Alonna has just left Hobbiton.
There's furniture store near where I live called Lothlorien. I also once saw a real estate agency that was called Ithilien Homes.
Alonna is offline   Reply With Quote