The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Admin Thread for Werewolf XLVIII: When Virtual Becomes Reality

Welcome to the 48th edition of Werewolf!

For the past several weeks there have been technical difficulties on the Barrow Downs. There have been obscene amounts of spamming and popular Downers have been receiving anonymous negative reps for no apparent reason. During different times of the day, sometimes hours at a time, the Downs is inaccessible to many and when the server isn’t Down, the smileys are…and suddenly once invisible ‘secret moderator forums’ become accessible to all. The BW has recently received complaints by several Downers that someone has been hacking into their accounts and making inappropriate posts. Now with all the mods’ accounts blocked and the BW unable to fix these technical difficulties himself, he has decided it is time to seek the source of the problem.

The Roles:

After our DWII epic, this game will be a fairly simple one.

3 hackers/werewolves
3 moderators/gifteds (seer, ranger, and hunter)
1 spammer/cobbler
And of course the rest are ordos

The Rules:

-The game will start with a Night phase.

-There will be absolutely no hints in the narrations!

-There will be no double lynches. In the case of a tie, the lynch will be randomized.

-No retractions are allowed.

-Those who do not vote two Days in a row will be modfired.

-Only the werewolves may talk at Night.

-Once you’re dead, you’re dead. That means no discussing the game, inside or outside the Barrow Downs.

-The ranger can protect someone more than once, but not two Nights in a row. He/she may protect him/herself once the entire game.

-The hunter will be a logical hunter.

-The deadline is now at 11pm GMT.

The Characters:

For your occupation (or whatever you want to call it), you may choose to be whatever stereotypical (or untypical) type of forum member you like. For example, you may choose to be the rabid fangirl, the purist…whatever. As long as it doesn’t interfere with the game roles (so you can’t be a spammer).

(Another idea: I originally had an idea for players to play each other as their character roles. I thought it’d be really fun…however, I found that there would be too many problems that could come up. For one, it may get too confusing and secondly, I worry that someone may get offended. Plus, it may make it more difficult for any possible newbies that may come along. But if anyone thinks otherwise and feels strongly for this idea…then please share your opinion. After all, it’s up to you players on what you want.)

Other notes:

I haven’t decided on a deadline yet, but my preferred time span is something around 9pm-12am GMT. If need be, could go even earlier.

I know it’s the summer holidays and all…and since we just finished a huge game, some of you may want a short break. I wasn’t in a rush to get this thread up because I know a lot of people are unavailable this weekend and possibly next week due to midsummer or whatever. And for me, it is the following weekend (27-30) that I will be busy. That means I won’t be starting the game any sooner than July 1. That gives a little less than two weeks for people to sign up. If we have enough players we will start on July 1, but would like a decent size village (15+) if possible, so if the sign ups are slow-going I can wait longer. American players- I know a lot of people go out of town for the 4th of July weekend…I will be around but if there are enough of you who aren’t, then we can work around that.

One more thing: At the time being, I am unemployed with all the time in the world on my hands. But I am hunting for a job and in the case that I do get one, I will most likely need a co-mod. It is not an issue I have to worry about right now, but it is something that I as well as anyone who may be interested should take into consideration.

-----------------------------------------

Players:

Nilpaurion Felagund~Ainulindalë Addict
Kitanna~the self-righteous know-it-all
Aganzir~non-anonymous neg-repper
Shastanis Althreduin~chatspeak translator
Nerwen~rabid fangirl
Boromir88~the one upper
Kath~artiste
Rikae~the person who tries to fake knowledge of the books and fails miserably
Durelin~Unreliable RPG Addict
Eomer of the Rohirrim~easily-offended trendy
Nogrod~the wanna-be moderator
The Elf-Warrior~nitpicker
satansaloser2005~a fan of everything but Tolkien
THE Ka~Artful Dodger
Eönwë~conspiracy theorist
The Sixth Wizard~grammar Nazi
Formendacil~Tolkien Canonist
Mithalwen~therapist
McCaber~does it 4 teh lulz

Last edited by Brinniel; 07-03-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe I feel so special! *squee*

As for an in-character trait, can I be Mr. Underhill?

I can't? Well, then, I shall be a troll who cant spell rite (subject to change, though).

Sehr interessant concept, vzv, Brinn.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Sign me up. I died far too quickly last time. As far as stereotypical forum member....mmm I'll have to think about it.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ooh, I wanna play!

Though I hope the game will be over (at least from my part) by 22nd of July, since after that I'll be away for some three weeks.

I'll think of an occupation later.

Last edited by Aganzir; 06-19-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
I’m still deciding whether the hunted should be killed regardless if they’re a wolf or not…let me know your thoughts on this
I think this should depend on the size of the village (or, err, meeting). With a 15+ village the hunted could be killed regardless of their role, but if there are fewer players, the hunter could only be able to kill wolves.

And as for occupation... Does anonymous neg-repper interfere with the roles?

edit: Oh yes, and the deadline suggestions are fine with me, though the earlier the better, since I noticed DW affected my sleep rhythm rather badly. And do you mean the latest possible deadline is 12 am GMT or GST?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'd like to play, as a chatspeak translator. Dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Though I hope the game will be over (at least from my part) by 22nd of June, since after that I'll be away for some three weeks.
Of June or July? Because you know, the 22nd of June is three days from now.

Quote:
And as for occupation... Does anonymous neg-repper interfere with the roles?
Hmm...I'm afraid so. Neg-repping is a job for the nasty wolves.

Quote:
And do you mean the latest possible deadline is 12 am GMT or GST?
GMT. It's much easier to calculate the time difference by looking at the bottom of the BD page, which goes by GMT (I'm in GMT -6).
Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Of June or July? Because you know, the 22nd of June is three days from now.
July. I'll go edit it.

Quote:
Hmm...I'm afraid so. Neg-repping is a job for the nasty wolves.
Could I be the non-anonymous neg-repper, then?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Count me in.

I'll be a rabid fangirl. Not that we seem to have any on this forum.

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-19-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Love the times.

9-12 GMT is 16-19 local, which means I might get to participate in DAY-end madness.

Oh, I've had a change of mind, I'd rather stick to one of my semi-real forum personae: Ainulindalë Addict.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

So, I've seen this type of forum member on many forums about the web, the self-righteous know-it-all, I chose such an annoying member as my occupation.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Sign me up

Edit: Make me the "one better" person, I always have to top everyone else.

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-19-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Could I be the non-anonymous neg-repper, then?
Well sure then....since I know you can't ever pass up the opportunity to be mischievous.

Quote:
I'll be a rabid fangirl. Not that we seem to have any on this forum.
Not so much anymore, but back in the day when the movies first came out we had our fair share of 'LegolasLuvers' and 'Frodosgirls.' I used to make a lot of jokes about rabid fangirls in old Mirth threads.

On my way to update the list...
Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This looks good...

Probably shouldn't play but..... avoids this weekend and next when I have stuff on ..

Could I be pencilled in? Probably as the person Boromir has to go one better than

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ooh I'll play! I'll need something non-physical to do during Death Week. Don't know about a role though, I'll have a think.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh, make me the spammer, please, please, pleeez....

I'll be the person who tries to fake knowledge of the books and fails miserably (sorry I can't say that more concisely).

"But in 'Thingymabobs of M-E' (book 3, page 3436), Tolkein says that dragons were not created by Moregoth, but by the flower fairies."
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Gah! Not only was I thinking for a Downs-themed concept for the next WW I mod - I'll see what you write in this game and rethink my ideas - but I have no chance of playing in this game as my camp starts on the 6th of July. Sorry... and have fun!

PS: Even if I don't join the game, may I still neg-rep people anonymously?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #18
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Even if I don't join the game, may I still neg-rep people anonymously?
Only if I get to neg-rep you first!

Sorry you can't join the game. And I'm curious to see how your WW concept shapes out (hopefully you won't have to rethink it too much).
Old 06-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #19
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Count me in, please! As for a role...Unreliable RPG Addict?

We definitely need a crazy Tolkien purist...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Could I be pencilled in? Probably as the person Boromir has to go one better than
Well I'm penned in, so beat that.

I say make it a normal hunter (meaning kill whoever the hunter chooses) that's what makes the role challenging and fun.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

White Tree Ooh.

Mummy Mith and Boro, how glad to have a chance to play with you again.

That the Music of the Ainur should ordain this, blessed be Eru!

Unless they're of the Second Children, who have freedom beyond the Music. . .

Then Ilúvatar himself has intervened in the Music, to make it thus. Blessed still be Eru!

Ooh, a sampler of your IC posting, how . . . annoying.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #22
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
As for a role...Unreliable RPG Addict?
Oh good, I was hoping someone would choose an RPG role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
I say make it a normal hunter (meaning kill whoever the hunter chooses) that's what makes the role challenging and fun.
I do agree that a normal hunter would probably be better...but as Aganzir said, I think it'll end up depending on the size of the village. If the number of players is small, then I'd rather not have the hunter take an extra innocent with him. Though if sign-ups continue at this pace, then we won't have to worry about that.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #23
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I don't don't know if time will allow, but sign me up (with a big question mark, just in case) as a conspiracy theorist.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #24
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
We definitely need a crazy Tolkien purist...
If anyone can bug Form into joining - which would probably be impossible given his busy summer...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Logic please

I would have a hunter that if lynched takes their choice down regardless but if is the wolf kill choice only kills if their choice is a wolf. I think it was Roa who pointed out that it was illogical for a dying hunter to take out a non-wolf at night, however a lynched hunter might take any of the village down with them.

As for my role I was tempted to be one of the people who take it a bit too seriously and don't like references to anything that suggests it isn't real..but it seems my boy Nilp is half way there..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 AM   #26
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Can I play? I'd like to be the easily-offended trendy. The movies were killer, come on!? Look at those awards!?!?!? I just don't get why you geeks have to be so mean to me!?!? Idiots!!! By the way, what's a Balrog???
Old 06-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #27
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

White Tree

It seems that fate has compelled me to make an error in my computation:

9pm-12am GMT is 5-8am local . . .

I do hope the Ainur have sung it to be the latter, so I can do DAY-end stuff before going off to school.

Oh, and mae govannen, cousin Eomer. I see that the Music has decreed our playing together once more.

With him either as a wolf or a short-lived ordo?

Hush, Adam. It is not for us to discern what Eru wills, merely to play our part in his Theme.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'll be definitively in.

I'll come up with a role tomorrow.

Nice idea!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #29
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Dark-Eye

I'll be a nitpicker.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #30
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I thought about being a chatspeak-fangurl type person, but then realised that the stress of having to deliberately spell things wrong might just send me to an early grave. Then I thought about doing the opposite, being the spelling/grammar etc. nut, but all of you write far too well for that.

So yeah, I'm still stuck.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #31
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
But you forget... some of us are playing fangurls...

ZMOG! LEGGY IZ SO HAWT!1111!!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #32
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But you forget... some of us are playing fangurls...

Translation:

Oh, my goodness. Legolas is quite attractive.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #33
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

OMG Shasta I GET it...........Im not stupid!?!?!

I think this could be one of the funnier Day One's.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #34
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

thnx shasta!!!111!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #35
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
*headdesk*

Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #36
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I would have a hunter that if lynched takes their choice down regardless but if is the wolf kill choice only kills if their choice is a wolf. I think it was Roa who pointed out that it was illogical for a dying hunter to take out a non-wolf at night, however a lynched hunter might take any of the village down with them.
Oh yes I agree about the lynching stuff.

What do you think of Rikae's post?
(x) I disapprove
Don't you know anything about Tolkien eh? -Agan

What do you think of Eomer of the Rohirrim's post?
(x) I disapprove
The movies suck. You're stupid. -Agan

What do you think of Nerwen's post?
(x) I disapprove
Legolas is disgusting. -Agan
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #37
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
What do you think of Nerwen's post?
(x) I disapprove
Legolas is disgusting. -Agan
O RLY?????
Old 06-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #38
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
We are clearly in need of a moderator on this thread...

So let me be the pathetic mod who wants to be nice to all and may get carried away but still wishes to perform his duties.

(And just to make it clear: no there's no inspiring example of that here in the 'Downs but it is more than easy to imagine one - a nerd who's gained a few years of age and is still fanatic of his subject the forum is about, and loves the stature of a mod as something he has accomplished in his life, but when he would have to act he's more than unable to do it...)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'd so much want to play. Especially as Boro and Mith seem to be playing - it has been too long since I played with them. But there's a problem, and it's that I won't be able to play in the next two weeks. I could play if the game started on the 7th or on the 8th, or later (that would be even better), but there seems to be little chance of that... But if/as I'm unable to play, I will probably read through your struggle later...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #40
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
everything she's said so far....

You. Are. Awesome. *died of laughter at the last few posts*

*cough* Shasta won't stop bothering me to join. *cough*
*more cough* If the deadline is 12AM GMT, I can, and may be tempted to, even though I'll go nuts. *more cough*
*coughier, which isn't even a word* I'm a terrible person. Addict? No not me. Never. *coughiest, then shuts up*

*shifty eyes, backs away*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote