The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #5081
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Oh great Googly-Moogly, it's actually happening! Go Noggins!

I'm in, of course. I don't remember actually playing in a game with a dead thread (which is to say I probably have, but it's been too long), so that would be cool.

Also, I'm totally for a CoH plague setting, if only because it opens up all kinds of possibilities for banter about killing Lalaith (Túrin's sister, not the Downer; athough possibly that too, it depends).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I totally don't have time for this, so I'm in if you'll have me.
I see you've caught the spirit.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #5082
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
We really are back a decade aren't we? And it's so lovely to be with you all again! I would love to join the game. Basic rules would be perfect as it's been such a long time and I'd be happy with a tongue-in-cheek plague setting.

Dead Thread sounds interesting but agreed - not sure how it would work if roles are revealed upon lynching ...
Old 04-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #5083
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I see you've caught the spirit.
What? He's caught it? He's caught the spirit? Get away from me. 2 meter distance. Don't you dare step closer. And put a mask on!

Depending on when the game will happen, I might only be able to play for half a week at a time. But with a dead thread that might not be too bad, assuming I live bright and die young.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:22 AM   #5084
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Whyyyyy did this happen just when I was about to start working again??? (Yeah I know, odd timing, but there it is.)

But what the Angamandi, sign me up. Has a dead thread game been played before? My last game was 9 years ago.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #5085
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Still in the same boat: uncertain ability to play at work, early bedtime, grass-cutting season again...but how could I refuse?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #5086
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think I can manage to play. It's been so long, I'll probably just make wild accusations and die Day 1, but you know what? I'm ok with that.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #5087
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
I think I can manage to play. It's been so long, I'll probably just make wild accusations and die Day 1, but you know what? I'm ok with that.
Hey, that's my mode of operation!
Old 04-30-2020, 07:12 AM   #5088
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Let the race to be lynched first begin!
Old 04-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #5089
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
If you're looking at a Halls of Waiting thread, does that imply that roles & alignment aren't revealed on death? I don't even remember how the Downs usually does that, but being outed as a wolf could make interacting in the Halls kind of depressing. On the other hand, reveal-less deaths could make being in the village rather frustrating.
Good point to raise.

As far as I am concerned, I'd 100% advocate for revealing the roles upon death, no complicated nonsense with sending true revelations from the dead thread and so on.

It might make dead Wolves somewhat isolated from the community, but I remember many having fun with this (see various phantom-esque existences just trolling to no end). I mean, nothing prevents a dead Wolf from participating in the Dead discussion - whether anyone is going to pay attention to them is a different thing. Unless someone created a "sub-plot" for the Dead thread (but it should be something that would not interfere with the Living too much, or ideally not at all).

In the absolutely worst case, a Wolf will end up lynched on Day 1, then ostracised by fellow dead, and will be bored for the rest of the game. But that is the worst-case scenario for one person, as opposed to everyone else. I think it's worth it.

Of course, if we can think of any way to make it better, I'm open for it, but let's not contrive too complicated schemes.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #5090
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
It might make dead Wolves somewhat isolated from the community, but I remember many having fun with this (see various phantom-esque existences just trolling to no end). I mean, nothing prevents a dead Wolf from participating in the Dead discussion - whether anyone is going to pay attention to them is a different thing. Unless someone created a "sub-plot" for the Dead thread (but it should be something that would not interfere with the Living too much, or ideally not at all).
And I suppose there's also the fact that a dead Wolf still doesn't have to tell the truth about who their remaining packmates are... okay, as I'm sure you're relieve to hear () I'm convinced on that point.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #5091
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
And I suppose there's also the fact that a dead Wolf still doesn't have to tell the truth about who their remaining packmates are... okay, as I'm sure you're relieve to hear () I'm convinced on that point.

hS
Now I wanna be the first dead wolf, to troll people about my packmates.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #5092
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm in on plotting the game (have been re-reading The CoH) and will open a discussion thread for it in a moment. Let's continue the discussion of the rules there.

I think I have quite a quite a nice solution to both problems brought forth here, aka. revealing the roles vs. keeping the "dead thread" interesting and how to make the DT simple & balanced in view of the dynamics of the whole game.

I'll post my initial ideas shortly in the game discussion thread.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #5093
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Um.....Could I play too? I am, like, super stoked for CoH theme...

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #5094
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Um.....Could I play too? I am, like, super stoked for CoH theme...
Of course. Welcome!

I'll add you to the player list in the discussion thread.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #5095
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Let's play Werewolf again?

I know some people (myself included) have been joking lately, that with the global situation being what it is, a game of Werewolf could be in place. We discussed this with Thinlomien and A Little Green just a moment ago and decided that I'd go and make an actual suggestion of it here. So why not play a game for a looong time?

If there would be willing players to play a game, there would be a couple of things we'd need to consider.

Modding: Most people surely crave for playing rather than modding now. I could mod the game unless there is someone who would really want to do that. In case there are many people wishing to mod a game, let's see if we have those old modding-lists somewhere, and then see who of the willing are highest on that list.

Game-mechanics: My initial idea was, that this would call for a really basic "old school" game, but then I managed to think it twice. The problem with the basic game is, that if you get lynched on the first day, which happens to someone anyway, the game is over. I think that after this long pause in Werewolf it would be much more fun if everyone could play a bit longer than that.

Therefore I'd suggest some form of a "Dead-thread"-game, where playing in the dead-thread would be meaningful and interesting (aka. the dead would have some power on the events - but not too much, of course). We should discuss the details together. I'd not suggest a Dueling Wizards -game or any such over-complex one though. A simple game, but one where the dead could also play and try to actually influence the outcome.

Theme: Would it be distasteful / out of question to put the game into the world of "The Children of Húrin" where plague ravaged the village? Well, that's just one idea. And if someone else mods the game, they sure are free to come up with whatever they like.

So, what say you? Shall we play?
If there is a dead-thread and you can accept that my participation will be limited to the hours around midnight CET, then I am game.

Quote:
I am sure I will unwittingly join this race.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #5096
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Just to elaborate.

I will aim to participate as much as possible, but weekdays where I am at the office all day and with the kid at night will be limited to a late login.

When I work from home, or weekends/bank holidays I imagine I will be more active.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #5097
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nice to have you in Rune!
Old 05-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #5098
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I've avoided playing for awhile since it always seems real life rips me away too soon in games (which is not fair to the rest), but given that I've been locked down under quarantine with no end in sight, I'd like to ask if there is room for one more?

Fair warning, It's been a long time since I've played, but I think I can manage to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure I'd be joining you quickly enough if my past play is anything to judge by...

Last edited by THE Ka; 05-01-2020 at 07:02 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #5099
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Organization of thoughts

Out of general curiosity, how do you guys keep track of what goes on in a game?

Do you use any sort of tools for keeping track or organizing your thoughts?

I am normally very bad at remembering what has transpired, and scrolling/reading through the thread is incredible time consuming. I have been toying with the idea of using a spreadsheet of sorts, but I cannot wrap my head around a good way of setting this up.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #5100
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Out of general curiosity, how do you guys keep track of what goes on in a game?

Do you use any sort of tools for keeping track or organizing your thoughts?

I am normally very bad at remembering what has transpired, and scrolling/reading through the thread is incredible time consuming. I have been toying with the idea of using a spreadsheet of sorts, but I cannot wrap my head around a good way of setting this up.
Yes it does get to be pretty difficult to keep track of all the posts, especially in larger games. Reading everything is daunting.

I, for the most part, just keep track of who voted for who, in what order and write down the post number they voted as a reference. If something stood out unusual/odd scrolling through a thread of a bunch of posts is time consuming and frustrating. The best tool for me is on the main forum page, click replies to bring a window of how many posts each person made in the thread. And I click on their number if I wanted to read through and find the replies from a specific person. I use that a lot when playing in a game.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #5101
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Maybe the one after the CoH one could be FoG-themed?

(I call dibs on More-leg)

Old 05-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #5102
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Yes it does get to be pretty difficult to keep track of all the posts, especially in larger games. Reading everything is daunting.
That's why I've pretty much given up on trying to post detailed analyses, especially in villages as large as in this game (it's not a village anymore, it's a city!). I may notice all that stuff (well, some of it), but by the time I've written it all out with all the pertinent quotes the game has moved on already.

Quote:
I have been toying with the idea of using a spreadsheet of sorts, but I cannot wrap my head around a good way of setting this up.
You want to talk to phantom about that, I've been told he's the master of systematic werewolvery.
Me, I just keep a record of the voting tally and jot down things that stand out - possible wolf tells if I'm innocent, things I can use against innocents if I'm a wolf, but not a lot of either. Mostly I sort of wing it - I mean, it's a game, not a doctoral thesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
Maybe the one after the CoH one could be FoG-themed?
If there's another game in the foreseeable future that would actually be an interesting setting, if it hasn't been done yet. I mean, Maeglin is kind of the archetypal cobbler, right?
Old 05-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #5103
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

3.900 posts and counting

Quote:
You want to talk to phantom about that, I've been told he's the master of systematic werewolvery.
Me, I just keep a record of the voting tally and jot down things that stand out - possible wolf tells if I'm innocent, things I can use against innocents if I'm a wolf, but not a lot of either. Mostly I sort of wing it - I mean, it's a game, not a doctoral thesis.
I have seen his binders. I am not sure I am quite ready to the advanced class just yet.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 05-03-2020 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Post number 3.900!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #5104
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

There is also a gimmick, if you will, used on another site, where people can select their own character before the game begins. I wonder if that idea could be introduced in FoG game.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #5105
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I have seen his binders. I am not sure I am quite ready to the advanced class just yet.
I remember him showing them to us as well while visiting his place almost ten years ago (well actually quite exactly, it was the end of June 2010!). Yes. I agree. That's the pro-level.

I used to pick up quotes with a post number to a Word-file while reading the thread through. With the help of impressions and quotes that stood up it was easier to have a hang of whom to suspect or whom to trust (or whose "slips" or unhappy wordings to use if a wolf).

But yes, with a big village (or a city!) it's quite challenging to have a clear view of what's going on.

Legate has reminded people, quite correctly, in the Discussion Thread of this game we have now, that with a lot of wolves there is a bigger probability that one of them gets lynched early and the innocents might find a track from there - but it is also true, that in a chaotic / big village those who know with whom to co-operate are having the upper hand.

Looking forwards to some interesting gaming...
Old 05-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #5106
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
There is also a gimmick, if you will, used on another site, where people can select their own character before the game begins. I wonder if that idea could be introduced in FoG game.
We used to do something like that, pick characters or professions before the game (like, some person was the village carpenter, someone else the herbalist or blacksmith or what have you). These are mostly used in early game banter, but it tends to be frowned upon if you post too much in character, as it's easy for wolves to hide behind that. This is not an RPG, and it's important to distinguish between the character you choose and the role you're assigned by the mod.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #5107
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hheeyyy guys,
I've been pointed to this thread, so I just wanted to make it known that I want to play in the next game! If it happens soon - hopefully not in two years! And in August the last two classes of my Bachelor's degree start so hopefully before then too! If there's anything that I can do to help the next game happen, let me know!

edit: I also just realized that I've been invisible for years - since my last game!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 05-19-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #5108
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I would play another game too, assuming that there's gonna be a little breather in between (I think sometime in June would be possible?) and that it's likely gonna be a bit smaller village (I think some people may have been a little exhausted ). I also wanted to say that I can't sadly participate as much next time as I'm going back to work on June 2nd but given my post count last game, maybe it's not entirely a bad thing...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #5109
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I would love to play again! I have my thesis proposal on June 12th, so I might be a little distracted for a day or two around then, but a Werewolf game to keep me from stressing too much about the proposal sounds really great, haha!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #5110
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
So, as one of those who didn't play a perfect game (in other words, not Brinn or Loslote), I'm kicking myself for hunches ignored and wild theories followed and anxious to get out there again and redeem my good werewolfing name.

Put me on the list for the next one, please! Or, if no one wants to mod, I'd be willing to step up and host a classic game (I love the experimental ones, but they also need a foil). However, I'm really itching to play again, so I'd prefer if someone else modded the next & I could join the mod queue.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #5111
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I might wish to play in one too someday. Not necessarily the next week, but in June or July, yes.

Being a mod is lots of fun and hilarious - and can be thrilling as well - but there is one thing lacking: having your own neck in the noose.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #5112
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I’m good for another game around June or so. I’ll think about modding it if needed. It would be more of a classic game though and I’d have to think of a theme.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #5113
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd be up for another game in a month or two. Although after last game, I'll probably get killed off by Day 2.

A classic game is always good, though I must admit I really like the appeal of the dead/quarantine thread. It allows those who die early in the game to still participate in some form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Now I wanna be the first dead wolf, to troll people about my packmates.
Just saw this. Was cobbler close enough?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #5114
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Just saw this. Was cobbler close enough?
This is my first time as cobbler, and I do admit wholeheartedly that it's my faviurite role to play. Maybe it's just that I end up unintentionally cobbling regardless of my role. Being a QT cobbler is different from being a wolf though, cause you don't know where to troll. It was a mix of steering the QT to doubt themselves and messing around for the heck of it (like pranking the GT). I think it was less fun in the sense that there was less scheming involved, but more relaxed because I could kick back and enjoy myself without the responsibity of knowing in which direction to steer.

On this topic, I second Rikae's proposal that if this concept is used in future games (and some variant of it should be, it's a great idea to balance dead player participation), the cobbler's role should not be revealed in death, as that allows more scheming to happen on both threads. Or alternatively, when the cobbler dies, they might be able to communicate with dead wolves by PM. From the cobbler perspective, that would make you a more active and involved player as opposed to an accidental chaos sideliner (once dead).
Old 05-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #5115
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

If there aren't any objections I'll throw my hat in there and say I'll mod the summer game.

I've been kicking around some ideas with some of you already and would like further input. Seeing as it sounds like June-July will be a good period for everyone, if there aren't any objections I'll get a planning thread started over the weekend. This way I can get more input on the ideas I've been kicking around and there would be no rush to start super soon.

There will be a dead thread. That I'm already sure of. Maybe where the dead do something slightly different than Nog's game. Also a possibility of the dead wolves to have a different purpose.

My main goal is to decide to go with a game with the traditional roles or to have slightly tweaked experimental roles to fit a theme. As fun as experimental roles and games can be, I don't want to forget the ordinary villager POV in games. Over half the players will be villagers and even though I was a wolf in Nogrod's game, I think it's safe to say ordinary villagers enjoyed it as well? As to be expected there were times the villagers were wrong or manipulated, but not a single wolf voted for Huey and that in itself is quite an achievement!

So, over the weekend I can put up a planning thread with everything I've been kicking around to try. Whether you're able to participate or not I'd like a discussion on how the balance would be, and perhaps more importantly if you'd enjoy those roles and gameplay as an ordinary villager as well.

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-22-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #5116
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure I'd be joining you quickly enough if my past play is anything to judge by...
Has anyone declared Kitanna the winner of this race yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
So, over the weekend I can put up a planning thread with everything I've been kicking around to try. Whether you're able to participate or not I'd like a discussion on how the balance would be, and perhaps more importantly if you'd enjoy those roles and gameplay as an ordinary villager as well.
Dead thread? Yes. Small village? Preferably. Short posts? Pretty please.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #5117
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Its nice seeing so many old friends again

Alas, I'm not in a position to be able to play now, but it is wonderful to see werewolf picking up on the Downs.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #5118
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Pipe

Moving discussion of "when's the next game" to a thread non-participants of the last game are more likely to find it...

A consensus on the other thread seemed to be "a bit of a break, then in July."

So: sign-ups over the next 2-3 weeks with a game start somewhere around Sunday, July 5th in the evening for a Night 1 going into Monday the 6th sound good? Any Americans with Fourth of July plans should be emerging from them, then.

As to the ongoing discussion of modding: put me on the list of those willing to do it--and I do have the Ghost idea to play with... Do we have anyone who goes beyond WILLING into the realm of WANTS TO (i.e. right now?)
Old 06-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #5119
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Not right now, but I'm still mulling over the idea of a tweet-style game with limits to post length & amount which Rune suggested in the game before the last.

Somebody (I think G55?) came up with the idea that posts could only be so long as to fit into the box where you type them (apparently it's a fixed size across all platforms), and that would be a nice first step - but how keep people from just breaking their walls of text into smaller chunks?

I'm toying with the idea to have DL not at a fixed time but as a moving wall cutting off the Day when a given number of pages is reached - like, the first post/vote on the next page would still count (because you don't know in advance when the page is flipped), but all thereafter wouldn't until next Day.
__________________________________________________ ____________
^this line marks what would be the maximal post length

It probably would be hell to mod (probably only doable with a co-mod, preferably in another time zone, so that one could keep an eye on the thread at all times and call DL) and quite a departure from our usual WW routines, but could be interesting I think (also would encourage early voting!)

What do y'all think?
Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #5120
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
What do y'all think?
I shall keep my post within the proscribed length as a test case.

I like both ideas, but my instincts say to keep them to separate games! Or you'll end up with a sextuple-posting wordsmith single-handedly ending Day 1 while analysing Form's suspicious Anti-Day-One tirade.

I definitely think some sort of length cap would make for an interesting game. I would incline, in addition to POST length (and I agree that using "the box" is a good yardstick for that) there should also be POST volume. Say... five posts per day? I don't know--that's picking a very arbitrary number, but I have no idea without putting a great deal more thought into it than a Sunday afternoon warrants what would be a "fair" number.