The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Song for the End Credits of AUJ Movie

The Song of the Lonely Mountain

Thought I'd post my comments here, because they are literally "gushing" and "swooning" over this song on TheOneRing.net. I would have to get argumentative, and you know I am too polite for such abrasive commentary.

But I didn't care for it, personally. No sir. Underwhelmed would be an understatement. The Maori chants do not mesh well with the dwarvish character I have come to know from the books; in fact, aboriginal chanting seems out of place in a high culture like the Naugrim (after all, we know the poetic meter and musical instrumentation of the dwarves directly from The Hobbit).

I also think the reedy nature of Neil Finn's voice does not project as inherently doughty and dwarvish - he looks and sounds more like a hobbit. It recalls for me any of the failed Chris DeBurgh or Al Stewart epic songs of the 70s and 80s. "A Spaceman Came Traveling" or "Don't Pay the Ferryman" anyone?

I could have chosen ten to twenty other performers who could have composed a better song. I was rather moved by the performances of Enya and Annie Lennox in the previous movies. Not so here.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hard to imagine, I know, that I am agreeing with you, Morth but I have to say I am similarly underwhelmed.

I suppose the movie is supposed to be about an 'obbit, but this is too ethereal to suit my sense of the dwarves.

Maybe we'll have to hear it after the entire soundtrack?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I too am not impressed. Just how much was Howard Shore involved in this arrangement, I wonder? It's way too busy to be memorable. The original version of this melody which we heard in the first teaser/trailer was definitely more Dwarvish and compelling. After the good credit songs LotR had, I find this one not at all attractive to me. I liked even Gollum's song at the end of TTT better!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yeah, I was also a little disappointed when I heard it. Like, Estelyn, I much preferred the Dwarvish version of the song. It just feels more grounded and earthy, whereas this is a bit 'light' (I'm not sure exactly how to describe what I mean, but it definitely doesn't suit the Dwarves and their rock and metal worlld.

Of course, it is called The Hobbit, and I can sort of imagine it as Bilbo's echo of the original Dwarf song and the whole adventure, and then it doesn't seem too out of place. So, while I'm not that keen on it now, I suppose it just depends on its context, both musically and in relation to the film, so I can't really judge it fairly at present.

On another note, if you haven't already, you can also listen to this track called Radagast the Brown.

edit: So, I've just listened to the credits song a few more times. It still lacks the magnificence of those in the LOTR films, but it has grown on me a bit.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
But I didn't care for it, personally. No sir. Underwhelmed would be an understatement. The Maori chants do not mesh well with the dwarvish character I have come to know from the books; in fact, aboriginal chanting seems out of place in a high culture like the Naugrim (after all, we know the poetic meter and musical instrumentation of the dwarves directly from The Hobbit).
Agreed about the chanting. That brings to mind more of a Ghân-buri-Ghân feel for me.

Quote:
I also think the reedy nature of Neil Finn's voice does not project as inherently doughty and dwarvish - he looks and sounds more like a hobbit. It recalls for me any of the failed Chris DeBurgh or Al Stewart epic songs of the 70s and 80s. "A Spaceman Came Traveling" or "Don't Pay the Ferryman" anyone?
Don't be knocking Al Stewart, now, Morth. I'll bombard your PM Box with "Old Admirals".
Finn's voice almost makes me think of a slicker, modern version of this. Not really the sort of comparison they'd be going for, I'm thinking.

Quote:
I could have chosen ten to twenty other performers who could have composed a better song. I was rather moved by the performances of Enya and Annie Lennox in the previous movies. Not so here.
Enya has always to me complemented LOTR, even before PJ used her stuff in LOTR. I'm not sure how she would have done for what's supposed to be a simpler, more earthy story though.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am currently listening to the complete soundtrack recording here. The link does not allow jumping or choosing, so it's something to play through from beginning to end.

There's no denying that Howard Shore is the composer! The beginning is very much connected to LotR themes - I assume we'll be seeing Frodo there. The dwarves' theme that we've heard in "Far under the misty mountains" shows up in variations - I do like that melody.

Have you already pinpointed favourite pieces?

edit - Ah, I just now am hearing the Rivendell theme from LotR!

edit: Concerning the final song - I just read the list of composers and it does not include Howard Shore. I am relieved. Quite frankly, a song that needs five (count'em - 5!) composers can't be good!

'nother edit - I've also heard the Lothlorien theme, presumably for Galadriel's appearance. And the orcs/wargs have music that sounds very similar to what we heard in LotR, especially at Orthanc. I suppose it's natural to emphasize the connection of this "prequel", as Jackson is using the story. I do hope there's not too much repetition though.

I am amused that there is a piece called "Brass Buttons"!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 11-13-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: heard more
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Any of the songs from the books? "That's What Mr. Baggins hates" and the "15 Birds in Five Fir Trees" songs, for example?
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've already heard "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates", so that's apparently in the movie. It's fun! I'll have to listen more closely to the soundtrack for more...
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The whole soundtrack has now been uploaded to You Tube (which means that if you've got a YT Downloader extension for your browser you can also download it - not that I'm recommending anyone do that..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dPXpSliHc

It also provides links to individual tracks if you click 'More'
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
this is actually more something you'd hear at the end of "How to Train Your Dragon"
not the classical, encompassing, nuanced songs from "Lord of the Rings". This song is fine and enjoyable on its own, but it doesn't hold a candle to anything from the previous musical attempts in LOTR.

I know the argument will always come in when someone says "but it's a lighthearted adventure!" for the most part, yes it is; but the world is still the same. Things established in previous films need to be preserved to maintain continuity and that rustic ancient-sounding tone LOTR did so well.

The song feels like it was made - unfortunately - more to be hip with the kids of today and feels like it's trying to get to the charts, rather than keeping with that ancient musical flavor the LOTR films gave us. I'm also disappointed that there is no unique song made for the credits like each LOTR song had. "May It Be" had no relation to the score or themes in the actual film; same with "Gollum's Song". "Into The West" felt appropriate because it ushered an ending and made a musical conclusion using a motif from the score.
This one simply feels like: "we need a song at the credits because reasons." "Okay!"

as for "That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates". I heard the song as well! The only thing I see very confusing - and I vented this to a friend just a week ago, much to her annoyance - was that there is accompanying background score. No song in LOTR ever had that (Pippin's and Aragorn's song in "King" is justified since it was an emotional moment that the score had to back up with a heightened impression), and to keep to that realism, rather than trying to be goofy and happy, it would have been better to have kept it score-less. Therefore it would have felt more natural, real, and impromptu since I can imagine they made up the lyrics on the spot. Plus, the dwarves would seem more charming without the help of the artificial-emotion-boosters of the orchestra and would have made Bilbo seem far more annoyed.

Last edited by LordPhillock; 11-25-2012 at 01:54 AM.
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Here's JRRT singing 'Chip the Bottles' for those who haven't heard it before http://soundcloud.com/harperaudio/j-...inging-extract Sure I've heard the tune before - hope there's no infringement involved
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I found a wonderful version of "Far over the misty mountains cold", fantastically sung by a small choir in Germany: YouTube. Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm in total dissent with this thread!

I only heard this at the end of the film yesterday due to my hibernation from spoilery things. I loved it! I only actually liked one of the theme songs from the LotR films, and that was Gollum's Song by Emiliana Torrini. I still listen to that a lot now. However I found the Enya one wholly bland. But Into The West was a huge disappointment for an Annie Lennox fan and the best way I can describe it is that I always find it slightly embarrassing.

I thought it was fantastic to hear a completely different voice perform this song at the end of the film and showed what a great tune it is, for it to be just as good performed in a different way. Neil Finn has a lovely voice anyway - he strains to reach his notes which always gives a yearning quality (listen to Weather With You to get the same impression). It was a fabulous suprise to hear him singing the end theme.

The clanging irons for percussion remind me a bit of Lykke Li's I Follow Rivers and the Haka is great.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have to agree with the majority here - the end title song was just horrible and cheesy. It wasn't 1% Dwarvish! The overall country-feel was just too much (it got better in the point where Greenie claimed it starts to sound like Blind Guardian but then it was already too much ingredients tossed in). I think all the LotR end title songs were way better.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now, what exactly should Dwarvish music sound like?

Quote:
'Now for some music!' said Thorin. 'Bring out the instruments!'

Kili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles; Dori, Nori and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats; Bombur produced a drum from the hall; Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets that they had left among the walking-sticks. Dwalin and Balin said; Excuse me, I left mine in the porch! Just bring mine in with you! said Thorin. They came back with viols as big as themselves, and with Thorin's harp wrapped in a green cloth. It was a beautiful golden harp, and when Thorin Struck it the music began all at once, so sudden and sweet that Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-hole under The Hill.

The dark came into the room from the little window that opened in the side of the Hill; the firelight flickered -it was April- and still they played on, while the shadow of Gandalf's beard wagged against the wall.

The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as they played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes.
Thorin plays 'sweet' music on his harp. So I think Dwarvish music must sometimes be wistful and light.