The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #81
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
you know, I love the stories. I really really REALLY love reading them.

But I also love the world. I read halfway through the Silmarillion but it got time to return it to the library so i couldn't finish it. Gotta borrow it again. I want to watch the movies. I really really do...... and I spend a lot of time on LOTR websites.....learning about interesting stuff......

and the language is kinda cool. It's interesting seeing what the names and stuff mean.

Namárië!

me too....i always wish for more info......same with the Bible. There's a lot of what-if's in LOTR.....

shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #82
sylvan leaf

Leaf once in both camps. . .

When I first read LoTR, I belonged more in the 'story' camp, and finished reading the book without any interest in the appendices. I began reading them, but did not finish.

A couple years later after my second read, I was enthralled with the appedices. I had watched the movies, and re-read the LoTR for comparision; I wanted more than the book itself or the movies offered. The appendices slightly quenced my thirst, but it was the Simillarion that satisfied me. I had crossed over to the 'world' camp.

Now, I feel more strong towards the world, and only slightly less toward the story.

~Jaime
Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #83
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I read the Hobbit for the story, but the world of pipeweed-smoking Hobbits who loved good food appealed to me, and so when I read Lord of the Rings the first time, I was suck into the world, with the story being the catylist that brought it to me.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #84
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting thread! I would say I am a lover of both, since when I started reading Lord of the Rings, I loved it for the story, but eventually, after reading The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and other works I fell in love with the world as well. It never ceases to fascinate me. I am much of a nature lover, so naturally Tolkien's idealistic world appeals to me
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #85
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm both, like Galadriel. At first I was hooked up by the story, but after I reread LOTR a few times I fell in love with the world, and that inspired me to read other Tolkien works.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #86
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I'm both, like Galadriel. At first I was hooked up by the story, but after I reread LOTR a few times I fell in love with the world, and that inspired me to read other Tolkien works.
Same here, it's like someone mentioned earlier on in the thread, you can't really love the world without having first read the story.

I find the storyline to be entertaining and I NEVER get tired of reading it. That being said, I'm also an explorer type of person; love to travel to different locations and learn everything there is to know or do everything there is to know. So reading of something different with so many places; it's my version of heaven.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #87
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMellrynxMaidenx View Post
So reading of something different with so many places; it's my version of heaven.
How the same for me! I practically live inside books. All my thoughts are with books. In my last life I was a character of a book, and I hope to be so in the next life. My favourite books are those that happen sometime in the past, and I don't care if it's five decades or 5 centuries ago. When I read a book I get into that world and stay there until I start another one.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #88
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
I practically live inside books... In my last life I was a character of a book... When I read a book I get into that world and stay there until I start another one.
With that kind of mindset you'd tremendously enjoy Jasper Fforde's 'Thursday Next' books! That kind of tale allows for a "both" answer to the question of this thread...

We now return to your scheduled Tolkien discussion.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #89
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
How the same for me! I practically live inside books. All my thoughts are with books. In my last life I was a character of a book, and I hope to be so in the next life. My favourite books are those that happen sometime in the past, and I don't care if it's five decades or 5 centuries ago. When I read a book I get into that world and stay there until I start another one.
Really? *astonished* I live in a book even after I've finished reading it My mom thinks I 'have something wrong with me' because I'd rather live with my books than live with a (future) husband
Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #90
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

well, I could say the same for myself, but I just can't live in 2 books at the same moment. I live in a book until I start reading another. Most of the time I return to living in LOTR, though, no matter how many different books I read.
I literally leave this world when I read. You won't be able to get my attention unless you shout in my ear.

At least now I know I'm not the only one who lives in books, twin sister !
Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #91
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Really? *astonished* I live in a book even after I've finished reading it My mom thinks I 'have something wrong with me' because I'd rather live with my books than live with a (future) husband
Bwahaha, that's how my dad is! I have to buy J.R.R Tolkien's works again, sadly my first set was lost during the many times we moved, and it's all I talk about wanting for Christmas! Dad says I need to get out and be like other girls and settle down. I retorted with, "Well, if the men in THIS world was like some of the men-moreso, elves (the looks wouldn't hurt, but that's wishful thinking, right? kidding, I don't go for looks).- from Tolkien's world I just MIGHT get out there and find someone, but until then I'm quite content with having my many fictional boyfriends.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #92
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Honestly, if real people were like... well, at LEAST humans from LOTR, it would be so much more interesting to live. Some elves, dwarves, hobbits, and even draggons, orcs, and trolls wouldn't do any bad either. And really any other character you can think of. Even if only the humans existed for real, it would be so much better!
PS: I mean real for everyone, not just Tolkiennutters like me .