The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Purple Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Did u notice that Legolas's eye colour changes in the movie!

Did u notice that in the movie, and the promo pics, that Legolas aka Orlando Bloom's eye colour changes from brown 2 blue in different parts. U would have thought that PJ was more of a perfectionist, he gets most other things right, or is this a secret Elven power i am not aware of yet?
Old 12-28-2002, 11:14 AM   #2
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dūm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Yeah, in the part where Legolas is saying that the people in Helm's Deep are going to die, his eyes look brown! Still, I'm not sure what exactly was going on there. So I don't know if it was an accident.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:22 AM   #3
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Yeah! I noticed that too. I'm sure it was a mistake...mayhaps.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:16 PM   #4
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
The Eye

This has been noticed on several occasions.<BR>It happened in Movie #1 as well. Maybe it is supposed to highlight the enigma behind elves or something like that...Welcome to the 'Downs!
Old 12-28-2002, 12:43 PM   #5
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed that I just posted about that on another board you know, I also noticed that his eyes seem to look more like their natural brown in the darker scenes - maybe those blue contacts don't work in the dark?? I don't know much about contacts though....
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:02 PM   #6
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My thinking is that his eyes change color when he's mad in TTT. When he's telling Aragorn that there is no hope or something (sorry I just woke up) before Helm's Deep, they're brown. When he's normal, they're blue. I'd hope a film maker as fabulous as PJ wouldn't let something like that slip!
Old 12-28-2002, 01:54 PM   #7
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think they changed his eye colouring, I think it has to do more with lighting. People with light eyes look like they have dark eyes when in a dark place.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:01 PM   #8
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah i noticed that! in one part when they show his eyes up close, theyre blue but i swear in the fellowship they were brown! i think its a conspiracy....LOL
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

My sister (who is a big Orlando Bloom fan)noticed this first in the Council of Elrond scene. According to her Orlando Bloom has brown eyes in real life and had to wear colored contacts during the entire filming of the movies, also accoring to her, sometimes when you look at the contacts from different angles you can see his natural eye color because you are not looking at the contact straght on.<P>I know this sounds confusing, but it kind of makes sense if you think about it
Old 12-31-2002, 12:40 AM   #10
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, both my friends and I saw this. Quite annoying, really. Yes Orlando does really have very dark brown eyes, and I was surprised at what a beautiful blue they mangage to make them in the movie. There is really no excuse. As a film-maker, I doubt that it was angles or lighting. And if it was, time to fire a couple of people. Even so, the editor (and the script sup) should have noticed. With their budget, quicky CG effects could have been used. There would be no reason for them to do this purposly. There are plenty of great ways invented to get emotions through to the audience without making yourself look stupid. Now, if this were the only mistake...
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:44 AM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

This whole eye-color question keeps popping up, also with Elijah Wood. The answer, or at least a very significan tpart of it, is in the Extended Version DVD set in the third or fourth DVD. THey show the scene being edited from daytime color to nighttime color. <P>Ayone who has ever messed around on a photoeditor on a computer has some experience with this-- you change the brightness, the intensity and the contrast, using the mouse or by entering numbers. Or, you can go directly to the UNIX method and edit Red, Green, and Blue. Either way, you make the entire scene darker or lighter. You can see them doing this on the S. E. DVD, in one of the special-effects clips. Hence, day turns to night, and Elijah Wood's eyes come out looking... Different! Bluish-purple, or greeny-blue, or midnight-blue, or ... some other wild color. Observers accuse him of wearing colored contact lenses, or having his eyes "digitally enhanced"; and he vehemently denies it (listen to the Actor's commentary) because as far as he knows, he's innocent of all wrongdoing! His contacts are **clear**, and he doesn't pay anybody to make his eyes look like something they're not.<P>The fact is, the Whole Scene WAS digitally enhanced. I'm betting that the actors' eyes are just a by-product. That's what happens when you turn afternoon into midnight, or noon into twilight.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:17 PM   #12
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah! I could kick myself! Of course that must be what happened. I knew they 'color corrected' the movies digitally, but I didn't think about it. Still, have they heard of CG? Hmm, looking at the blue screen and CG scenes in TTT, I'm almost glad they didn't try to fix the eyes. lol
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:53 PM   #13
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes I noticed it. I'm sure that it was quite posible for it to be a slip, it seems a bit wierd to do that on purpose, but whatever.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Thanks, for all the suggestions guys, i just watched it again (after being stood up how evil is that) and i watched really closely it was only in helms deep that his eyes were brown, it took 6 months to film and at night under a rain machine, maybe he got annoyed with the conditions, and couldn't be bothered to put them in, just a thought! bye
Old 01-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #15
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My fanatic friend actually looked that up! I am pretty sure (it said on numerous sites) that PJ was so caught up with making the film, he didnt notice it, and that orlando didnt like the contacts. Also, notice that his eyes are brown in dome of the more intense scenes. PJ probably had a lot more to think about than eye colors.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #16
gilraėn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraėn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed this too, and found this on another forum, I have yet to find the particular part in the book but it may or may not be true....... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Actually it's not a mistake. If you read Tolkein, at that part of the story where his eye change color, Tolkein wrote that the Legolas looked like the life had drained from his eyes. They changed the contacts to reflect this"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-03-2003, 08:28 PM   #17
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you mark12_30 for explaining the computer aspects... Orlando has dark brown eyes and wore blue contacts. As a result of lighting and camera angles, sometimes his dark eyes show through the light blue contact lenses.<P>May I ask why it matters?
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:37 AM   #18
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Nieninque, it matters because i am petty,and it struck me as weird. His eyes do change colour in FotR aswell!! i have finaly got the extended version, yay, and am watching it now, when the fellowship are on the rocky outcrop taking a rest, and Boromir is teaching the Hobbits Sword fighting, Legolas looks out and sees the crows coming, (if you can) pause it and look at his eyes, there are definately brown!! i am so petty! its just struck me, nevermind
Old 01-04-2003, 10:50 AM   #19
Rosegirl8745

Silmaril

I never noticed that his eyes changed colors. I agree with what some of these ppl are saying. Perhaps it was meant to reflect that part of the book or the lights make them appear different. OR they could just change colors on their own...mine do that: one day they'll be blue, the next day: green.<BR>Whatever it is, I still like LoTR and Legolas Now that I know his eyes change colors, I kinda think it's pretty cool! Don't y'all? Elves are mystical, and changing eyes seem mystical. It flows with his character
Old 01-04-2003, 11:47 AM   #20
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

As long as we're talking about the mistakes<BR>Peter Jackson did, did you notice that Gollum<BR>has too many teeth ?, Gollum has at least 7<BR>teeth in the movie, in the Hobbit he says<BR>as an answer to one of Bilbo's riddles:<BR>"teeth !, teeth, precios, but we has only six"
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:50 PM   #21
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*ponders* Hmmmm... I did not notice that. I have to see it again!
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:44 AM   #22
*anuion*

Eye

Well,<P>I heard it some times now, but did not bother to go see it. I don't want to see it. <P>NO......Legolas is perfectly displayed.....No go away you evil critic's..............the dark fire will not afail you.... go away....................MONKEYS!!!!!<P>Hm okay time for my medicine.<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
Old 01-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #23
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wouldn't say Legolas only has brown eyes when he's mad, as in the scene when Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli meet Éomer and the Rohirrim, there's a close-up shot of Legolas and he's definitely got really pale blue eyes...but they are contacts 'cause Orlando's eyes are deffo brown.<P>Also, whoever said eyes look different colours in different light is right...I always thought Viggo had really dark blue eyes 'cause in a lot of the publicity shots there's a shadow over his face so his eyes look darker, but in the movie when he's listening for the Uruks' footsteps they are really light blue.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #24
Eressiė Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressiė Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressiė Ailin
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> May I ask why it matters? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It matters because you are living in a world that revolves around Orlando Bloom, and you are constsantly surrounded by leggyboppers.<P>AAAHHHHHHHH!!!! LEGGYBOPPERS!!!! SOO.... EVIL!!!!
Eressiė Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:17 PM   #25
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed Legolas' eyes appeared darker in many scenes of FoTR as well. I think it had more to do with lighting.<P>H.C.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:34 AM   #26
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> May I ask why it matters? <BR>--------------------------------------------<BR>It matters because you are living in a world that revolves around Orlando Bloom, and you are constsantly surrounded by leggyboppers.<P>AAAHHHHHHHH!!!! LEGGYBOPPERS!!!! SOO.... EVIL!!!!<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Too right we are living in a world that revolves around Orlando Bloom!!!! <BR>No, I am not a Leggybopper. Gawd, what an awful name for the poor blighters. <P>Can no one answer that bit about Tolkien saying that the life drained from his eyes? Life draining from the eyes...interesting...haven't heard that one before...<BR>His eye colour is the most amazing brown in real life. Ahem....<BR>What I meant to say was...isn't it interesting how many people have picked up on it???????
Old 10-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #27
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I remember someone in another thread explaining how difficult it is to have blue contacts over dark brown eyes (Bloom's normal eye colour). He or she explained how their peripheral vision is severly reduced. In scenes where Bloom is interacting with other actors, they tend to go with a contact that doesn't restrict his vision as much but comes out a less intense blue, but in close-ups they go back to the vision restricting bright blue contacts.<P>I know nothing about coloured contacts, but this explanation seems to fit with the types of shots in which you may notice Legolas' eyes being darker.<P>H.C.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #28
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hye speaking of eye colors changing, Arwen's do it to. She is wearing blue contact lenses. I can't see how P.J. missed that because in the FOTR DVD special features disc, he even mentions how the eyes were such an important detail.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:10 PM   #29
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Here is what I think since I have dark brown eyes like Orli. When a person with really dark eyes puts in lighter color contacts, in some light (especially dim light)their eyes will still look brown. You most likely noticed that Orli's eyes were blue in the sun and kind of brown in the shade unless there was light effects like in the forest. :Sigh: That is why I will never get colored contacts because they are a waste of time for me especally when I don't need them in the first place.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:12 AM   #30
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though his real eyecolor is brown, I like blue better. He looks awesome with blue eyes.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:58 AM   #31
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On the "lighting" side, I must add something I observed when watching the Extended Fellowship of the Ring many times, but have not seen fit to mention before now. The scenes at Rivendell appear to have been shot with an amber filter. This has the effect of "browning" not only Orli's, but everyone's eyes. Elijah's eyes are a sort of clear light amber in these scenes, and I attribute it to the amber filter. Of course, it could be a digital coloring effect; I just like to call it a "filter," having used one in photography many times.<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. I know the effect of which you speak, <B>Silmiel</B>, since I have sort of hazel/brown eyes and own blue contacts because I like the way they look. They leave a ring along the inner part of the iris near the pupil that is still the natural color, and you can see it close up.
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:00 PM   #32
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I forgot about filters Lyta for I took a photography class as well. I thought Frodo's eyes looked a little hazel in some of the Rivendel scenes.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #33
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, whoever said eyes look different colours in different light is right...I always thought Viggo had really dark blue eyes 'cause in a lot of the publicity shots there's a shadow over his face so his eyes look darker, but in the movie when he's listening for the Uruks' footsteps they are really light blue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sometimes it makes a difference what colour hair you have. Viggo wears a dark brown wig in the movies, so that may play a part in making his blue eyes stand out more than they would without it. Certain things can make eye colour stand out, like wearing orange eyeshadow and black eyeliner, for instance, can make blue eyes look brighter.<P>Just thought I'd chip in!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #34
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, in the commentary if the TTT EE, PJ said that Legolas' eye color changed in one scene, because he cut his eye, and couldn't wear contacts for a few days.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #35
Letty
Animated Skeleton

Letty has just left Hobbiton.
Absolutely!!!
Letty is offline   Reply With Quote