The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
PJ political statements?

I don't know if I was the only one who noticed this but PJ changed the Entmoot scene from a go to war decision to a have to have a personal reason for the Ents to go to war. I thought this was a selfish thing for him and his writers to do because they changed a very important scene in the books that wouldn't have made the movie any longer, to something that fit their political views. What's your opinion?
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Well, I wouldn't like to speculate because I don't know Jackson's political views. What are they? And are you sure they are relevant?

I did think the Ents' actions were quite strange.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Could just be simple dumbing down? It seems to me that most "popular" films are very wary of assuming any intelligence at all on the part of the viewer. Thus Legolas (who admittedly doesn't get a huge amount of dialogue in the books) becomes "Captain Obvious".

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
Well, in the Extended Edition dvds he had talked about his anti-war views such as thinking World War 2 was the only war worth fighting for and that LOTR was anti-war. It was anti-war because he made it that way!
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I don't think this change was due to any political views.
I guess Jackson just wanted to increase the role of Merry and Pippin, which is noble, especially because the two only served for comedic purposes until then. But at what cost. The changes make Treabeard look exceedingly stupid and the logic of the plot is lying in pieces. It was also about dumbing down, again. The influence that Merry and Pippin have on the Ents in the book seemingly isn't obvious enough.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

If I understand aright, the idea is that the Ents believed war to be generally wrong, but that the War of the Ring was worth fighting?

If that is the case then it makes the Ents look pretty dim (not something I disagree with, movie-wise). They apparently do not understand the gravity of the War of the Ring until.....what exactly? Treebeard sees some dead trees?

I don't get it, I don't get it...
Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger
Well, in the Extended Edition dvds he had talked about his anti-war views such as thinking World War 2 was the only war worth fighting for and that LOTR was anti-war. It was anti-war because he made it that way!
Well, like quite a few actors/celebs PJ seems to be a bit of a pacifist but I wouldn't call him anti-war. If I remember right he was simply being careful about promoting war with Sam's "That there's some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for!" statement. He used World War 2 as an example of a war that really had to be fought to compare it to the War of the Ring. I don't think he "thought that World War 2 was the only war worth fighting," it's just the one that there'd probably be the least debate about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
If I understand aright, the idea is that the Ents believed war to be generally wrong, but that the War of the Ring was worth fighting?

If that is the case then it makes the Ents look pretty dim (not something I disagree with, movie-wise). They apparently do not understand the gravity of the War of the Ring until.....what exactly? Treebeard sees some dead trees?

I don't get it, I don't get it...
That's pretty much what I understood, and I've got to wonder the same thing - what changed their mind? Seeing some dead trees? Does that mean the Ents (& everyone) shouldn't care about wars unless they're actually involved in it? Like you, Eomer, I'm not quite sure that I get this scene or the reasoning behind it at least.

But I don't agree that PJ was trying to push any of his own views here.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote