The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM   #841
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Cobbler:
Quote:
His job sucks so bad, he wants to die. The cobbler is on the werewolves team, but is not a werewolf! He doesnt know who the werewolves are, they dont know who he is. The game does not end in a situation where #(werewolves+ cobbler) >= #villagers. The cobbler looks like a villager to the seer. The cobbler is very interesting in that he actually doesnt mind being lynched in many cases, to protect a werewolf from dying. He can also create situations late in the game where he can form a voting block with the remaining werewolf and then block any lunchings from occurring. You can even have cases where the werewolf is trying to convince the cobbler that he is in fact a wolf, or that someone might fake being a cobbler to rat out who the wolf is, so they can then say they arent really a cobbler and lynch them!
Obviously, the cobbler is a strong addition to the werewolf team. I think its a great role for situations where having one more werewolf would be too strong, but without it the werewolves are screwed.
Sort of an odd role, but could be interesting.

Quote:
Will day and night segments remain 24 hours long each?
Yes.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #842
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Jobs...

This sort of slid out of priority in WW VI; not very many of us listed a role. But I'd like to see that happen again, so let me know about your position in the village, with your sign-up if you haven't already.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #843
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Are we going back to Middle Earth? As in, a small village of Elves somewhere near Tol-in-Gaurhoth, with the werewolves as servants of Sauron? That would be great.

Um... I'd like to be a... *thinks.* Oh, why not, I'll be the traditional village blacksmith.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #844
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Does the town need an official executioner?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #845
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think I'd like to play again, please (I'm assuming the game be finished by July 28th).
My thoughts on the Shirriffs - what if they were only allowed to reveal themselves (if they chose) after/if the other one dies?

This cobbler role: you are going to have to explain it to me very quietly and carefully, I'm a bit baffled.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #846
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'd like to sign up again please. Since I've died on the first night twice now I'm hoping I might last a little longer if I try again! However, if anyone new wants to join and there's not enough space I'll happily give them mine.

As far as a role goes I'd quite like to be the undertaker.

On the Shirrifs thing, once one is dead is it not a little redundant to say that you are one since they're only effective when both are alive. And since the other can't now back up the claim no one will know whether you're telling the truth?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #847
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I would also like to play in a Werewolf game at some point, as I haven't done so before and find the idea to be quite interesting. I'm okay with whatever role is assigned.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 PM   #848
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
(I'm assuming the game be finished by July 28th).
Lalaith - the game won't actually be starting until the 24th; I don't see it finishing until the 1st or 2nd week in August.
Quote:
My thoughts on the Shirriffs - what if they were only allowed to reveal themselves (if they chose) after/if the other one dies?
I like this idea. I think I may go with it. {Edit: Kath - one theory is that if they aren't really who they claim to be, the real other Shirriff will speak up. Also, it is helpful to the villagers to have a known innocent.}

As near as I can tell, the cobbler's job is to convince the villagers that he is a wolf - sort of the opposite of a wolf: a wolf wants to convince everyone s/he is innocent; a cobbler wants to convince everyone that they're a wolf (it's up to the potential cobbler to decide how, though... I won't try to outline potential cobbler strategy, but thinking about it is pretty interesting). That is, they want to die in place of a wolf. If you're a cobbler, you want to die, but you don't want to die in place of an innocent. They're on the wolves' side without being a wolf or even knowing who the wolves are. Does this make sense?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #849
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The cobbler role is simply to help the wolves as long as he/she can. That could mean getting lycned in place of a wolf. Casting doubt on innocents. Tying up votes so there are double lynching of innocnets. etc... It's a much deeper and more difficult role than most that we have used up to this point but with enough people could prove to be entertaining.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #850
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Small problem: I'll be out of town on the 26th and 27th. If that will be a huge problem, I'll pull out now. If it's forgivable, than I'd like to be the village's pathological liar.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #851
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Considered me signed up for WWVII, please.

I also hope to be prodding someone into trying this game out who I think would enjoy it greatly...perhaps too much....
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #852
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

It seems I'll be away during the last weekend in July, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a Werewolf game if it starts the 24th.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #853
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Absenses

Here's the way I see it.

Using Fea as an example, I don't think she'll mind. If she's out of town the 26th and 27th, she will miss the end of a Day, all of a Night, and most of a Day. Both of the Days, she would be able to get in a vote. If she were a werewolf, the other wolves would just have to do without her for a night. If she were some other gifted villager (seer, ranger, hunter) she would have to let me know ahead of time what her choice would be.

So... missing two days (RL) is plausible. Not encouraged, but plausible. Any more than two is pushing it too much, so, Menel, if you're gone for the weekend I guess it depends on whether it's Friday-Sunday or Sat-Sun. If it's just Saturday and Sunday, your situation would be the same as Fea's. The Days and voting are the important parts - if you are able to at least post and preferably vote every Day, you should be fine.

So we have:

Dancing Spawn
Durelin
Eomer
Feanor - Pathological liar
Kath - Undertaker
Lalaith
LMP
Menel
Mormegil - Official executioner
TGWBS - Blacksmith
Old 07-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #854
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll be a stuffy old scholar. Not too far off of RL.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #855
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would love to play again (or possibly mod in the future), but time is a major problem for me. I'll check around and see if it'd be possible for me to play or not.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #856
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I should like to sign up once more. And I'd like to be...the Village Tourist. A Fudgie. A visitor to the sights, and all that.

(Thank goodness, the Cherry Festival is over!)

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #857
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Count me in, Firefoot.

I shall be a wandering gypsy type who has stopped in the village for a bit.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 PM   #858
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand The 24th?

I'm . . . definitely in.

I'm replaying the role I didn't have the chance to play on WWVI--suspicious wolf-breeder.

And, bro:
Quote:
Edit to add: Holby, you are my antithesis: you always have some groovy role as opposed to the resident Ordinary Villager Extraordinaire. (Eomer)
That makes two of us. I, or my alter-egos, have never played a non-ordinary villager yet.

Of course, I hope the cover I've been building up during 4 and 6 would work once I become a Werewolf.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #859
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Count me in!

I'll still be the Village Lhunatic. I'll forever be the Village Lhunatic, I guess.

Eomer, I dare you to stay alive for more than three Days.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #860
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boo!
I'm almost certainly going to be computerless in the wilderness between July 28th-August 1st but please count me in for WWVIII. (Oddwen's?)

Oh, and Kath, with regard to my Shirriff point, I figured it would work more or less as the phantom/Saurreg thing did in WW IV. When the remaining Shirriff revealed himself, we knew he was telling the truth because if he were an imposter then the real Shirriff would presumably contradict him...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #861
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Dancing Spawn
Durelin
Encai - Wandering gypsy
Eomer
Kath - Undertaker
Lhuna - Lhunatic
LMP - Stuffy old scholar
Menel
Nilp - Suspicious wolf breeder
Oddwen - Tourist
Oromin - Musician
Saurreg
TGWBS - Blacksmith

Sorry you're unable to play, Lalaith. There are twelve players so far - I'd like to see at least 3-4 more.

*A Note to All Involved* - Please make sure that if you can't post more than a couple times a Day, make it something of worth. It is frustrating to other players who are trying to put together evidence when you don't. Anyway, the game is more fun and interesting when everyone takes a serious part. Obviously this applies to some of you more than others...

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-19-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #862
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Edit to add: Holby, you are my antithesis: you always have some groovy role as opposed to the resident Ordinary Villager Extraordinaire.
I'm feeling the connection!!

HEY!! We've had the cobbler in the last 2 games!! Nilp, I mean Adam, no wait Nilp!!

I must decline in joining this game. I have a 2 game-in-a-row limit, I need a bigger break for my head and then I get all ansty to do it again!!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #863
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
I'm in.

Been away for the last few days. Missed all the excitement...

LMP & TGWBS - Your coordinated move to reveal yourselves as sherriffs was the linchpoint of the game. A masterful stroke that proved to be the drop of water that made the cup runneth over. Good play. Well done. Bravo!

Firefoot - Very astute. You posted just enough every round so that neither one of us lycans ever suspected you. Good job.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #864
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Count me in, so long as this won't go past the 2nd week or so of August. (I'll be visiting my Grandma and she doesn't have a computer.) I'll try to post more often in this game, since I'll be done with a summer class I'm taking on the 28th, which should free up my time some more.

I think I'll be the village musician. I sing and play the violin and pennywhistle and a bit of the mandolin, so the role seems to fit me.

When you said that DAY and NIGHT periods end at 7:30 Central, I assume you mean pm? 7:30 in the morning would be a wee bit early, especially for summer ...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #865
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Hm, change of plans. Having just found out what my August schedule looks like, phases will not be ending at 7:30 (AM) - I wouldn't have time to write the deaths. So I'm thinking that 12 noon Central (1:00 Eastern) will work better. It also means that American players won't have to get up terribly early...

The players list in my last post is updated.

I'd like to see two more people sign up for a total of 17 - this would make the gifted/ungifted villager ratio equal with the full count of role types (Seer, Hunter, Guardian, Shirriffs, Cobbler, Cursed Villager).

If you don't give me a position in the village for yourself, I will be assigning jobs - they will probably be rather obscure/eccentric/strange (in other words, something that will likely give you an interesting death... )
Old 07-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #866
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Firefoot, sounds great to me. I really hope that we get a couple more players. I would like to see Kuruharan again.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #867
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Actually, it turns out that I will probably be gone Fri-Sat-Sun, though that does mean I will probably be able to post on Friday before leaving and Sunday after getting back. Don't know if that's enough, though.

Oh, if I am in the game I would like to be the creepy guy on the outskirts of town.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 07-19-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #868
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You're having the Cobbler and the Cursed, Footsie? But then again, the Sherriffs are so strong maybe they can negate those two. *shrug*

Last edited by Oddwen; 07-19-2005 at 08:58 PM. Reason: adding an entire sentence
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #869
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
I will be the village shepherd whose sheep are missing in recent times.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #870
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Menel, Nilp, and Oddie? This should be an interesting game.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 PM   #871
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hey, the NMS guys!

Let's take over the game, and turn into one giant movie script.

Then we parody it in another thread.

Then let's forget to post for a long time until someone realises we're actually doing a parody.

Then we post again.

Then I throw a dagger or seven hundred at Menel.

Drinks all around!!!

Uh, right.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:50 AM   #872
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

After Werewolf VI was finished it was brought to the players' attention that another player has deleted some of his posts in the game. It is now proposed that there be a rule against deleting posts, for obvious reasons that they, and the players' analysis of them, dictate the direction of the game. Modifying posts, adding and removing contents, is also being questioned. What say you, new Moddess Goddess?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:30 AM   #873
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

A pathological liar? Fea is getting voted off first day. Just a prediction...

I'll be a dancer. You see, our King Felagund (who has recently relocated from Tol Sirion), well, they say he's getting a bit dottled in the head, if you'll follow me. Not what he used to be. I blame that Gorthaur; nasty piece of work that he is. Anyway, he offers me great sums of money just to dance around the village. Not that I keep it all, of course, I give most of it to the local school.

So I get called the generous dancer.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #874
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I dunno 'Mer, I'm up against you.

Besides I very rarely lie in RL (I'm more likely to dodge questions subtley than lie outright), so I've got to get my mind games all out of my system here, where they are appreciated and I don't feel bad about messing with people. Hence my new role as pathological liar. That way, when I lie outright to gauge reactions, I have a better excuse than "i felt like it." I can say "Hey, just living up to the role."
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #875
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
It is now proposed that there be a rule against deleting posts, for obvious reasons that they, and the players' analysis of them, dictate the direction of the game. Modifying posts, adding and removing contents, is also being questioned. What say you, new Moddess Goddess?
No deleting posts. I'm not going to ban you from editing your posts, but you're not supposed to be drastically changing them - and after so much time you shouldn't be editing your posts anyway. For example, Lhuna shouldn't go back and change something she wrote two days ago. But editing is sometimes extremely useful, like when creating a list, sometimes you miss an item or two on that list.
Quote:
You're having the Cobbler and the Cursed, Footsie?
Provided that there are enough players. Right now we don't have enough players to have both.

Menel - I'm going to go ahead and let you play.

Dancing Spawn
Durelin
Encai - Wandering gypsy
Eomer - Generous dancer
Kath - Undertaker
Lhuna - Lhunatic
LMP - Stuffy old scholar
Menel - Creepy guy
Nilp - Suspicious wolf breeder
Oddwen - Tourist
Oromin - Musician
Saurreg - Shepherd
TGWBS - Blacksmith

I tell you, I would not want to raise kids in this village, even without the wolves... wolf breeder, liar, lunatic, creepy guy, executioner...
Old 07-20-2005, 07:49 AM   #876
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

But I'm such an honorable liar... it's only for the greater good...

But Footie, your kids would get such a firm grasp on the beauty and frailty of life, and they would appreciate it all the more. Now isn't that worth all of the mortal peril?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #877
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I just asked about how long I'll be gone, and it seems I will leave Friday but not be back until noon on Monday, which is even longer than I had originally thought. It is possible that I may be able to post while I'm gone Saturday and Sunday, but don't count on it.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 07-20-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #878
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Menel, I don't think that will work. You'd probably be missing two full DAYS, which I think would get frustrating for some of the other players. I'd like to have you play but I don't think it would be fair to the other players.

And I hate to be turning away players when I'm trying to get more.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #879
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would like to be the Village dead-header of flowers, if I may.

And maybe with a selective memory.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #880
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tell you what, instead of "stuffy old scholar", make me the "local stuffy old astrologer".

Without Menel, that kind of drops us down a tad.

And now for a crazy idea:

If you really want the numbers up, maybe you'd be willing to mess around with a really obfuscatingly complicating situation, and have some of us play multiple characters. I'm sure I could be persuaded to have Falco Boffin be the resident Hobbit while my astrologer could be some guy named Elempí of Umbar. Of course, this idea could create way more problems than it solves, so maybe you might just want to forget it.

Edit: Of course, if Elempí is a werewolf and Falco Boffin is a seer, it could raise interesting problems now, couldn't it?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote