Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye The Fall of Greenwood the Great RPG

Arien’s post

Prolog

The greatest forest in Middle Earth stood fair and tall. The breeze gently rustled her delicate leaves that draped down from her mighty trees. And all was silent, still. The sun bathed her in its never ending light, caressing the rolling midnight canopy. And below on the floor she hid away secrets of beauty, And all was calm, good. Years past in an instance and she never waxed nor waned, but held her grace.

Many people past dwelt within her, but none so as the Elves. And within her northern realm they lived. It was filled with immense wonder, for it was crafted in the image of the diminished realm of Menegeroth- once the most beautiful place upon Middle Earth. And all was peaceful, alluring. Time still fleeted past and she lost nothing but remained.

But one day a shadow of evil entered the south. Twisted forms marred her trees and killed her animals. And she wept. Then he came…….And from that day forth her beauty was no more. Slowly his evil spread and reached the Elves. And they in turn closed their doors to the world. And from then on she was Mirkwood.

This is the story of how the evil was found, some died and some lived but he was too strong. The fought but with their failure the doors of their hall were closed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You do know that it is growing. Less and less peoples enter here and trade has fallen…..”

Ceros leaned against one of the great trees and breathed into the blackened night. It had been nearly a year now and he had noticed the changes in the forest. A year since the rumours started. A year since a shadow fell like a shroud of misery. No longer did the birds sing their songs of wonder in the south, and no longer did the beasts roam the pleasurable clearings, but lay hid amidst the newly formed darkness. Others had noticed the change too, felt it in the air, the ground, the water. But they were too afraid to speak up, troubled of being accused of being paranoid. For in this world things of shadow would always be. But this was no paranoia, no it was real and Greenwood no longer held herself as she once did.

“Yes I do know…” replied a voice in the night, “But what to do?” Orodhin stepped forward into the light of their small fire, so Ceros could see him. “But what to do?”

“At least try to fight it!” breathed Ceros deeply. He loved Greenwood with a deep passion and hated it that nothing was being done to counter the threat. The invisible threat as some had grown to call it.

The two were on guard duty tonight, protecting the southern road from any intruders, or unwanted guests. Everyone knew there was no real point in guarding it for no one had come from the south for over a year now, and they weren’t going to start now. Plus the rumour of the shadow had put off guards from patrolling these areas, and Cersos and Orodhin were two of the few who would do it. An eerie silence hung thick in the air, and nothing but the two Elves were there.

“We don’t even know what we are up against, how could we fight it?” Orodhin replied staring up into the canopy, “There are rumours,” he sighed, “Rumours of a great evil!”

“I have heard them too…….” Ceros looked down the Elven path, “that is why we have to do something….now…bu…”

“Shh,” Orodhin drew his sword and fell back into the darkness. Ceros had heard it to and silently stepped backwards into shadow. The noise was clear and crisp in the silence, the crackling of leaves underfoot was amplified in the stillness. As the thing drew closer Ceros tightened his grip, but as two figures drew into the fire light his heart jumped.

“Talas, Ranude!” cried Orodhin stepping out from his veil of darkness, Ceros too revealed himself.

“We have come to relieve you, but you are lucky someone came, many were reluctant to…”

“Thank you, goodnight ,” Ceros said and he and Orodhin made their way back to the Halls and left the other two to guard the halls.

Blessed by the Valar were the lives of Ceros and Orodhin, for neither Talas nor Renude were ever seen again, this is what drew the meeting together and this is where our journey starts.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Four months later a meeting was called:

To all the Elves of this Realm, the time has come to call into question the Shadow . . .

When Ceros had first heard the notice he had snorted, as if this was just another gathering to deal with rogue spiders or unwanted trespassers. But as the Council grew closer, realization hit him. This was serious, the heads of the guards were attending, along with scholars and Thranduil was to be present. Maybe this was actually going to do something. And about time too. There had been more disappearances of late and Ceros could never stop thinking that he and Orodhin might have carried the same fate as Talas and Renude. They had lost some of their best fighters too. Just vanishing into the night, no trace left. But al least no something was going to be done.

Ceros made his way to the meeting alone. He had just finished guarding duty, being posted at the west entrance. Luckily escaping duty on the South gate. No one wanted to guard their anymore. No, not since the shadow had got much thicker. As he walked down the Elven path he past the great trees, birds sang their songs, which were once so full of pleasure, but now alas they were filled with misery and woe. The sunlight glinted through the tree tops, and whispers of their Elven dwellers could be heard echoing throughout. Ceros was now nearing the Halls, there were beautiful trees lining the way to the Halls, and around it flowed a dark, strong, swift river and over it was the bridge. The bridge then lead to the mighty doors, which were now swung wide open. Two guards were placed either side of the large gaping hole in the mass of rock. Slowly nodding towards the guards her carried on inside the Hall. The walls were carved with amazing shapes and pictures, breath taking they were but Ceros had no time to stop and stare he was already late. Deep he went into the ground, following the endless, dim corridors but he finally reached it.

He made his way to the main atrium where the meeting was being held. Slowly he slipped into the room. There were fifty or so chairs in a large circle. At the head sat Thranduil, upon his fair head he wore a crown of woodland flowers, for it was spring again. But somehow it did not feel so. He wore rich green robes embroidered with golden stitches, and he sat upon his wooden throne. The rest of the circle was comprised of various Elves, some scholars, others guards and some Elves of high stature. The atrium, was a circular room with a high ceiling and broad walls. Large pillars were carved from the living rock and were decorated in spring flowers of many colours. The room was lit with many glowing candles and sweet perfume burned, filling Ceros' mind with the smell of Spring. Slowly he took his seat beside Orodhin, Thranduil rose.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Ceros leaned against the cedar chair, his arms crossed and his legs stretched out in front of him. With content he listened to Thranduil.

“…..they have been missing for four months. Two good archers and able fighters, missing in their own homes? No, the thought is absurd! We must now face this growing threat from the south, speak up those that will for we must do something now…… "

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-11-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Maikafanawen's post

She didn’t want it. It was drab and strident which wouldn’t help her dance at all. But the Elf was smiling and he looked sincere. Ihwesta extended her hand, accepting the pair of bell-adorned anklets from Ghiorden.

“Ah, thanks, Ghio, thanks a lot. They’re very—well you’re very thoughtful.” She smiled up at him tucking the anklets into one of the deep pockets in her skirt. Ghiorden was very kind, and Ihwesta had enjoyed his company a lot, though he was two thousand years her senior, while she was learning to arch, but lately he was growing into a bit of a nuisance, and she couldn’t piece it together.

“Are you dancing soon?” he asked eagerly.

“I have no events scheduled requiring entertainment from me as of now. I’m taking a break, but when I practice I-I’ll wear them.” She forced a slight smile, her mind buzzing for some excuse to get away.

The day had been long and hot. Ihwesta was forced now to take extra caution as she journeyed further from the palace walls, which meant going slow and studying carefully her surroundings. One of her brown hide shoes was ripping down the back and she lacked the tools to mend it now, and doubted returning home soon with Ghiorden drilling her with pointless conversation. When she thought all hope of repairing her shoe and getting to the Council on time, she was rescued.

“Ihwestaieleva,” said a voice behind her. The Elf turned to see Reynion coming her way, probably on his way to the Council. “They are expecting us. If you’ll excuse us Ghiorden.” The older Elf nodded, disappointment slightly lining his face.

“See you later then, Ihwesta.” He bowed and retreated gracefully down the hall again. The she-Elf slumped her shoulders and confided in the guard Elf.
“I feel so nasty. But, there’s something peculiar about him and I don’t trust him at all.” Reynion stopped and tossed a glance over his shoulder then looked down at the she-Elf beside him.

“Yes, he is eerie, I’ll give you that.” Ihwesta absently rubbed at the button on the side of her tunic.

“I know he wants to work with Minyahiniwen at the shop but, well, she’s picky about her work and only Orodhîn knows how to fletch or polish just the way she wants it. I wonder how long he’ll be at it.” They entered the Council hall where Elves were already seated, waiting for Thranduil to address their purpose for gathering.

The king spoke of the disappearances of the Elves in recent weeks and of the growing shadow that seemed to weave its way through the ancient trees taking the merry forest creatures and beautiful shrubbery with it. Then he called for action, action that would discover the perilous enigma that was soon to envelope the entity of the Woodland Elves’ home. Bravest among them was Ceros. He was first to speak.

“Friends of old, I know what must be done. A company of nine shall patrol to the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm. I propose that—”

“Hold a moment! This is dangerous!” protested Ainemetion, a dark eyed elf close to Ihwesta. “It is madness to explore something we know so little about. No one who has met this peril has lived. It is insanity to risk the lives of yet more people.” His brow furrowed in disturbance as he glanced around the room for support. Another came to his aide.

“I agree with Ainemetion,” offered Delorfath. “No one would take up with you, Ceros, except the foolhardy and novice blinded with a false sense of honor towards the realm.” Ihwesta shook her head and stood also, asking permission to speak. Thranduil nodded and she began,

“I disagree with both of you and will follow Ceros. I do not mean to sing my own praises, but I am a decent tracker and if this power is not supernatural, the best among us could stand against it, I am sure.” Ainemetion and Delorfath shook their heads, retaking their seats. A few moments of silent echoed silently in the air. Ihwesta was one of the youngest there and felt awkward searching the gatherings’ faces for replies. Then, another spoke up, agreeing to take up with Ceros.

“I may be how you say ‘blinded with honor’, but to me that is a credit in itself,” stated Reynion. “And I am neither foolhardy nor is my reasoning for reverence false. You have everything I can offer,” he said, bowing low to Thranduil and then looking towards Ceros. “I will go.”

“Have you no concern for your safety, Reynion?” another interrogated. “You, Ihwesta, your mother needs you in her shop? Yes?” Yeorgil leaned forward in his seat, honest trepidation for the young she-Elf impressed lightly on his face. Orodhîn spoke but did not stand.

“I help Minyahiniwen in the bowyer shop. Ihwesta is free to do as she chooses.” Yeorgil scowled slightly.

“We need skilled warriors,” Ceros pointed out. “Our troupe will not be complete without many of you. Ainemetion, please reconsider.” The first to depress the idea stared down the Elf who stood by Thranduil before standing slowly.

“I shall go. Delorfath?” He stood beside his friend.

“I still am not convinced. But I wish you good luck my friend,” he answered. Ainemetion nodded. After what was a short time to Elves, though truly two plus hours, a company of nine was ready to do the king’s bidding.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tinuviel of Denton's post

Reynion strode down the halls of Thranduil, lost in thought. He heard voices ahead of him and almost turned around to take another route. He thought he recognized one of the voices as one of the Elves he’d grown up with. Ghiorden, he thought. Oh, and the elvenmaid was one of Ghiorden’s old archery students, the one with the incredibly long name. She seemed to be uncomfortable. So of course he had to step in and “rescue” her.

“Ihwestaieleva. They are expecting us. If you’ll excuse us, Ghiorden.” To himself he added, and I hope he takes the hint. I don’t really want to explain the situation if indeed I’m understanding it correctly.

The other Elf nodded, disappointment slightly lining his face. “See you later then, Ihwesta.”

Ihwesta slumped her shoulders as Ghiorden drooped away. “I feel so . But there’s something peculiar about him and I don’t trust him at all.”

Reynion stopped, a little embarrassed at being confided in by a comparatively young elf, and a maid to boot. “Yes, he is eerie, I’ll give you that,” he agreed for lack of anything better to say.

“I know he wants to work with Minyahiniwen at the shop but, well, she’s picky about her work and only Orodhîn knows how to fletch or polish just the way she wants it. I wonder how long he’ll be at it.”

Reynion was saved from having to answer that by their arrival at the Council doors. Once inside, he slipped away from Ihwesta and stood in the shadow of one of the pillar-trees. The tidings were worse than he had realized. A spider or two was one thing, but accomplished scouts and trackers just disappearing? That didn’t make sense. Suddenly he was very glad that he’d returned to this area, even if it did bring him into closer quarters with his father than he would have liked.

As the arguing escalated, he decided to go, especially when two young elvenmaids volunteered. It wasn’t that he disparaged their skills, mind, he just didn’t think it right for them to be among so few. Besides, [Elves #4 & 5] were not among his favorite people. It would be nice to be in the right for once with them.

“I may be how you say ‘blinded with honor’, but to me that is a credit in itself,” Reynion stated blandly. “And I am neither foolhardy nor is my reasoning for reverence false. You have everything I can offer,” he said, bowing low to Thranduil and then looking towards Ceros. “I will go.”

Well, now I’m in for it, he silently laughed at himself. Well, one thing about this mission. His sword and knives would be much more practical than his sword.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Kates Frodo Temp's post

The tall, well-built Elf named Ainemetion was just returning from a solitary walk in the wood. It was so beautiful in springtime, he could hardly keep away! Everything was so fresh, so alive!
When he reached home, Ainemetion was puzzled to see his father at the door to greet him.

“Council,” he growled. “You should go.”

“Oh, yes! Go!” His mother, Evien, rejoined.

“Alright. I’ll see you when I get back.” The door slammed shut.

Ainemetion slipped quietly into the Council hall, hoping he had not disturbed the other, far older Elves. He took an empty seat and settled in, preparing to hear what he knew would be a lengthy and intriguing conversation. He expected the council was concerned with the strange disappearance of several of the best Elf warriors. Ainemetion listened as a respected Elf named Ceros began to speak.

“Friends of old, I know what must be done. A company of nine shall patrol to the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm. I propose that--

Ainemetion sat silently for a moment, staring at the intrepid Ceros. Did he really believe anyone would accompany him? Even if they did, what made the hotheaded Elf think they would come back? Ainemetion was the last one to reject a plan to protect his beloved home, but this was insane! He could not keep silent.

“Hold a moment! This is dangerous!” protested Ainemetion, leaping to his feet. “It is madness to explore something we know so little about. No one who has met this peril has lived. It is insanity to risk the lives of yet more people.” His brow furrowed in disturbance as he glanced around the room for support. Another came to his aid.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Everdawn’s post

Once again Arië had wandered off into the wood, against many of the Elves wishes. Two had gone missing in the previous months, and the Elves still had no idea why. She walked barefooted through the woods until she came to a stream. The water was not deep, but the brook was a harbour for all kinds of small fish. Arië ran her hands through the water. Several deer had come from the surrounding woodlands at the sound of Arië’s voice raised in Elfish song. “I though it would be that you would not come.” She spoke to one of the deer who laid down beside her. “Tell me Aras, have you seen them, the guards that have gone?” she asked it.

“That deer can tell you nothing.” It was the voice of another Elf guard Noneil, he had a desperate look on his face. “Mae govannen” she said as he helped her up. “You mother sent me, to find you. Mellon, you should not go away like that now these days bring danger!” there was look of concern on his face. “Come, back to the halls we shall go.” Arië sighed, “You doubt me so, It is not wise.” She shook her head. “However, Noniel, If you think that I am unsafe why do you come alone?” He stopped, a look of surprise on his face. “Well, I did not think.” He said plainly. “I don’t think that my safety is at all threatened by this part of the woods.” He said.

“Precisely my point.” Replied Arië. Noniel looked as if he could not speak. “Do not let it trouble you my friend. Now, why did my mother really send you?” she asked taking a sideways glance at him while they walked. “The King has called a meeting, Ceros is also attending as he has something to say.” Arië interjected, “about the missing ones?”
“That is what I am thinking; I think he wants to send a search party. In which case I will not go.” Arië spun around. “OH! But you must! We must!” Noniel frowned, “We?”

“Yes, I will go, you forget yours Elf, I am a very skilled tracker Mellon, better than many guards. Not to make mys Elf better offcourse, but I could be a real asset.” Nonile began walking again. “You may discuss that when you hear what the King has to say, or after you discuss it with your parents. Who of course will not allow you to go.” This annoyed Arië, “You may not tell me what I can do, Noniel, You are far too protective of me, I can look after myself, better than you could. Now, lets not fight, I do not wish to find an enemy in you old friend.”

They crossed the bridge from the river and proceeded to the Elf King’s hall. Most of the inhabitants were there, including her mother Sendalien Arië, who was called Arië also by the Elves, and her father Menorë. “I have told you, daughter. Never to go out there, now these days bring peril.” He said solemnly. “She only wants to be closer to Ea, hervenn” spoke the elder Arië.
The king spoke.

“Ceros take me. You know as well as I no one here can track as well.” Ceros nodded, “Yes, you have a point young one. But for a woman to be out in the dangers of the woods, I am not so sure.” The king nodded. “I know what I am doing, you yours Elf Ceros have said on numerous occasions that I have been able to sense things before the others. And what if it could help you, I can fight, these guards have taught me from a young age!”

“Very much correct Arië. You are quite in touch with everything also aren’t you.” He stood thinking for a minute. I will speak for you, for I have much confidence in you, come you will, that is if Menorë and of course the King have no objections.” She glanced at her father. Who stood tall in thought. “I will allow her, if you shall speak for her Ceros. Even I know you would be foolish not to accept an offer form Arië the younger.” Said the king. Menorë frowned. The older Arië at his side, “If it is you wish King Thranduil, My daughter will go, and all blessing will follow her.” Arië breathed a huge sigh of relief. “Ah! It is done!”
Old 07-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Nerindel's post

Taurëwen walk slowly back from her watch of the eastern borders, after her brothers disappearance four months ago she had ask the king's permission to join the watch in her brother stead, With a saddened heart he had granted her request. "The Song of the Greenwood is lost, but it shall ever remain in our hearts" he had told her sympathetically. He had been right after that day she had not had the heart to sing and even now she could not find her voice.

As she walked she suddenly felt a cold shiver run up her spine, she looked up to see the path that ran to the south gate, how she got here she could not fathom, her feet had merely brought her here. She pulled at her green and gold tunic nervously and took a few steps towards the gate, but as she did a short gust of spring wind blew and the trees shook their new leaves in warning. Shivering again, she heeded their warning and did not venture into the thick darkness that lay about the gate, instead she quickly turned and made her way hurriedly to the council halls.

As she neared the Halls she reached out her hand to touch one of the great beech trees that lined the way to the Halls, her heart gladdened that the shadow had not reaches these magnificent trees, she glanced back, the shadow could not be seen from here but it was still heavy on her heart as she crossed the bridge and passed through the great doors of the Woodland halls. Deeper and deeper she went until at last she reached the main atrium.

The meeting had already begun, so she slipped quietly into an empty seat at the back of the circle. She breathed deeply taking in the sweet smells of the wild spring flowers and sweet perfumes that filled the room.

"Friends of old, I know what must be done. A company of nine shall patrol the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm."

These were the first words she heard as she had blocked out the others concerning the missing elves to prevent her grief from resurfacing. She did not need to look up to know the voice was that of Ceros the commander of Thranduil's army, She could feel her cheeks flush with anger as she listened to [Elf #4] and [Elf #5] speak of the dangers, off course it would be dangerous, but it would be more perilous to sit here and wait for the darkness to engulf us she thought heatedly, but as she was about to rise and air her protest another spoke.

"I disagree with both of you and will follow Ceros. I do not mean to sing my own praises, but I am a decent tracker and if this power is not supernatural, the best among us could stand against it, I am sure."

As she looked up she saw Ihwestaaieleva, Minyahiniwen the bowyers daughter, she drew strength from the younger woman's words and managed to calm herself, then another Elf rose and spoke his piece offering to go with Ceros. The other two were obviously still not convinced and spoke openly, she lowered her head as Orodhîn rose in the defence of his sister.

Taurëwen had harboured secret feelings for the male trainee bowyer before her brothers disappearance, Orodhîn and Ceros had been the last ones to see her brother and they had both been unable to tell her anything of Talas's disappearance. She had been unable to look the young man in the face the last time she had been in his mothers shop, she had practically bolted from the shop when he handed her the silver arrow heads he had made for her.

She continued to listen as Ceros convinced the other Elves to join him, Then she watched as the King consented to let Arië the younger join the company, A wise decision she thought for she knew of the young elf was more attuned to the nature of the woodlands than even she.

Seeing now her opportunity to speak she grasped it "I too will go" she called determinedly "Nooooo" she heard as all eyes locked with hers, she suddenly felt uncomfortable. The cry was her mothers and her father was now walking towards her, he placed his gentle hands on her shoulder and looked at her askingly, "Please understand that I must father " she whispered, " I have to know what this darkness is and from whence it has come ere it consumes me, it already eats at my heart by the taking my beloved brother and by the corruption of beasts and trees of our southern borders" she saw Arië nodding her agreement with her assessment of the border. Her Ithildin nodded then turned to the King and Ceros,

"If you permit it my lord, my daughter shall go with Ceros and the others. She will been of great asset as her healing skills are unsurpassed and she is quite capable in combat."

"You have no need to convince us we know full well the ladies skills " the king assured him "You have my blessing"

Ithildin embraced his daughter then went to reassure and comfort his wife.
Taurëwen took her place silently with the others and awaited the kings bidding.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Eruwen's post

Many years passed by after the disappearance of Eruwen's mother, Artue. Long the shadow had passed into their forest, and it was drawing even closer to the Silven Elves of Greenwood the Great. As always around the later part of the day, Eruwen rode through the deep wood closer towards Thranduil's palace and then on towards the South gate to greet her brother before she returned home again. Soon a break came in the forest as Eruwen rode into sight of the palace. She gazed up at the towering peaks before her as a soft wind began to blow. The bright sun shone through the tops of the trees down onto the land below her causing a shadow to be cast down on her, and it also caused the wind to become strangely cool.

As she passed by the palace, she began to notice many Elves, many she knew, slip behind the walls of Thranduil's dwelling. Curiously, she kept riding passed when suddenly she saw her brother about to enter the palace as well. Eruwen quickly dismounted from her grey steed, Mírie, and ran over to where he stood.

"Nárello!" Eruwen yelled catching his attention. Nárello froze and turned to meet his sister with a discouraged look on his face.

"Eruwen, go home," he said forcing her away. "You don't need to be here."

Eruwen looked at him strangely, but then she spoke again as she realized what was happening.
"You told me the council wasn't until tomorrow," she said. "Why did you lie to me?"

"Because I don't want you to come, now go home!"

"No!" Eruwen yelled causing many Elves to turn towards them. Seeing she caused a sudden crowd around, she lowered her voice again and continued.
"She was my mother too, Nárello." she said. "I deserve to avenge her disappearance as much as you do."

"But I don't want you to disappear as well," Nárello replied. "It's too dangerous."

"Well what about you? Don't you think I wouldn't want you to go either?"

"And I probably won't. Thranduil is sending only the most skillful of the Elves on the mission."

"Well then, I shall go," Eruwen said starting to walk towards where she saw the other Elves enter, but she was stopped by her brother. She looked up into his piercing, green eyes and saw the fear he held. "I'll be alright," she said finally, but it didn't seem to help.

Ignoring Nárello's wishes, Eruwen quickly made her way down to where the council was being held. Many Elves were seated already as Thranduil rose to speak. He spoke of many of the disappearances in the forest and of the shadow which was drawing close in the land. Soon a well-known Elf, Ceros, stood and spoke.

"Friends of old, I know what must be done." Ceros stated. "A company of nine shall patrol to the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm. I propose that—"

His words were soon cut off by an Elf at the side which protested his idea. Many other Elves spoke up and both protested and agreed to going with the company. Soon many Elves already agreed to go, and, without much reguard to anyone, Eruwen stood suddenly.

"I will go as well," she said raising her voice above the crowd.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Elentari Greenleaf's post

Airelómë sat in a tree, a breeze blowing through the leaves causing them to make a sweet rustling noise. He sighed. Things were getting so bad now in Greenwood that seeing elves out in the forest was a rare sight. Airelómë neatly re-did his plaits, which he had taken out, to stop his dark golden hair blowing across his face. He looked to his right and nearly fell out of the tree in shock.

"Seré," exclaimed Airelómë. "You climb these trees too swiftly and silently. What is it?" He added, seeing the expression on his friend's face.

"A meeting has been arranged. Ceros intends to stop this evil growing before it destoys us. It will be held soon, in a few minutes I think. I thought I ought to tell you."

"Thank you Seré," shouted Airelómë as he climbed down the tree. He ran though the forest as fast as he could, his feet carrying him more swiftly than they had in a long time.

Airelómë walked down the corridor toward the meeting hall. The growing darkness needed to be stopped, and when something was done he wanted to be part of it. He didn't just want to be, but felt he needed to be part of it. Perhaps it was because his parents were loosing out on work now there was less trade, or perhaps he just wanted an adventrue, but he would help in whatever way he could.

As he entered the hall, he realised he was late, as per usual, and quietly sat at the back. Ceros, an elf Airelómë had seen and heard of but never spoken to, began talking and Airelómë listened intently, suprised when several elves interupted. When he heard that the company was to only be of nine elves, Airelómë knew he must join. He rose at the end of Ceros's speach and said what he had to say, though he had heard elves say it would be dangerous.

"Ceros," he began. "I am Airelómë Firith, and I will help you. But where will the quest lead us? Where do you think the darkness arises from?"

Ceros explained to everyone that their journey would take them to the southern parts of Greenwood and back again. He also said that both male and female elves were needed for each is skilled in their own way. Missing elves were mentioned, which Airelómë had heard before, but he had not heard which elves until now. Though he was not familiar with the names, they were elves all the same and needed to be found. Airelómë would not let the thought that they could be dead enter his mind.

"I too will join the company," Airelómë said after seven or eight others had.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Eladain Moruviel's post

"Oh Mother, must I come?" said the young Gilbereth with an irritated tone "Those Council meetings are so long and boring ,I'd much rather be out with showing off my new spring clothes" "Yes you must come!" His mother shouted back at him from the other room "All the important nobles are coming, how would it look if you, the son of one of the King's advisers, didn't show up?" "Alright" he sighed" " I'll come if I must" And so, a little while later they both set out for the Council hall.

When they arrived, most of the other elves were already seated. They were hunters, trackers, and nobles for the most part. Also seated there, were some soldiers and some members of the King's guard, distinguishable by their green and gold uniforms. He and his mother found his father and took seats next to him. A few moments later the King started to speak, but Gilbereth wasn't paying attention, he was thinking about his brother, he had been doing that a lot lately "It's been what? A year since he had gone missing" he thought to himself.

The next thing he knew an older Elf by the name of Ceros was saying “Friends of old, I know what must be done. A company of nine shall patrol to the depths of the wood to unveil this mystery that consumes our realm...."what's going on he whispered to his mother "Good heavens child!" she whispered angrily "haven't you been paying attention?" "Well..um...no" he replied,s omewhat embarrassed "The King has been talking about the shadow that has come to our beloved forest. He says that we must send someone to find out what it is"

Just then an elf [Elf #4, brief description] jumped out of his chair and shouted Hold a moment! This is dangerous! It is madness to explore something we know so little about. No one who has met this peril has lived. It is insanity to risk the lives of yet more people.”

As Gilbereth watched another elf[Elf #5, brief description] stood up and nodding his head in agreement with [elf #4] said “No one would take up with you, Ceros, except the foolhardy and novice blinded with a false sense of honor towards the realm.”

Then, to Gilbereth's surprise a young female elf stood up and said "I disagree with both of you and will follow Ceros. I do not mean to sing my own praises, but I am a decent tracker and if this power is not supernatural, the best among us could stand against it, I am sure.” Elves [#4] and [#5} retook their seats. And a few moments of silent echoed silently in the air. Then, another spoke up, agreeing to take up with Ceros.

“I may be how you say ‘blinded with honor’, but to me that is a credit in itself,” stated [Elf #3]. “And I am neither foolhardy nor is my reasoning for reverence false. You have everything I can offer,” he said, bowing low to Thranduil and then looking towards Ceros. “I will go.”

And so it went on for hours , some agreeing with Ceros, and some disagreeing, but in the end it was decided that 9 elves should go into the woods and search out this shadow.8 elves went forward, each in there turn, but one more was still needed. "Well" Gilbereth though to himself "Here is a way to show my parents that I am responsible, and maybe even find my brother while I'm at it. they need one more elf, why shouldn't it be me" And so, to his parent's shock, he stood up and asked the king if he could accompany the other Elves on there journey saying "You all knew my brother, he was captain of the guard, and well liked by all. you also know that he disappeared early last year. I wish to go along with the company, and see if mayhap I can find him, or at least something that could tell us what happened to him" His parents tried to convince him not to go, but he was determined and so there efforts were fruitless. And so, finally, the King accepted him as the 9th member of the company.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Game is now open for play. Have Fun!

Remember to remove your signatures from EVERY game post (your SAVES - too, please).

Will remove this once everyone has posted again on the Game.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:35 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Arië was quietly content and stood beside her family, with a small grin on her face. Her mother Arië, the elder turned to her. Arië kept her head bowed. "Are you happy?" her mother asked her, no tone of worry upon her voice.

"Not happy, relieved." she said raising her head. Menorë, her father had his back to her, then turned around. For a while he looked upon his daughter, before a small grin spread on his face. "I can not begin to say to you daughter, you will be in danger. Eru help the enemy if they capture you." he touched her cheek. "However, i am proud of you."

"Thankyou father" she said humbly and walked away from her parents. She looked upon her companions, and she was not the youngest. There was Ainemetion, among others. And Gilbereth. Arië couldnt help but smirk. Unfortunatly for Arië he saw this.

"What?" he asked her. Arië still beamed at him. "I think it is strange that you, Gilbereth, who never comes to the King's meetings, has appeared at this one and agreed to go into the depths of Greenwood in search of an unknown enemy." she was trying to keep face. "...you may tear your clothes." to this she laughed. Gilbereth frowned. "You are just a child Arië!" she rested a hand on his arm, still smirking, "come now, you know i adore you, i adore everyone. Lets us two find Ceros. I am anxious to learn of when we might leave.

Ihwesta was standing to the side of Ceros, she smiled and nodded to Arië. "Are you ready old friend?" she asked, and now Arië had lost her smile.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-12-2003, 10:37 AM   #12
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Reynion stood at the door of his family’s home, debating whether to knock or just to enter. He probably would have stood there for a very long time if his mother had not chosen that moment to open the door.

“Reyn! How wonderful to see you again. You really ought to come home more often,” she scolded merrily, her grey eyes sparkling.

He smiled a little. “Is Father here?”

His mother nodded. “But he won’t want to see you. You know that.”

“Mother, I’m going with the scouting party, to see if we can discover what’s happened to the scouts who have disappeared. I want to see if I can make it up to Father before I go.”

Lashella frowned, but ushered him inside. She left him in the entryway as she went to get Eldarion, shaking her head at her son’s folly.

“So, have you decided to give up your nonsense?” was Eldarion’s only greeting. He was at least a head taller than his son, and Reyn had to look up at him, which had always seemed to the son as quite an unfair disadvantage. Eldarion had years and height on his son, which made it rather difficult to argue with him.

“No. I came to tell you goodbye.”

His father frowned. “Goodbye? You bid me farewell a long time ago when you left my roof for the forest. If that’s all, I bid you farewell and I don’t want to see you darken my doorway again if you can’t think of anything better to say to me.”

Reynion smiled, curling his lip a little. “Then you won’t wish to hear that I’m going towards the area where the scouts have disappeared. Good day, sir.” He turned on his heel, and strode out.

Well, that went well, he thought, a grimace on his face. I might as well have saved myself the trouble.

Reynion hefted his light pack to his shoulders and joined the other elves who were going on this journey. The others were all ready and he was the last one to arrive. He greeted them, then took a place some distance away from the others, wondering if he’d have done better to stay in the woods. Too many people, and all of them would expect him to be polite. Oh, well. What was done could not be undone, and this mission proved to be interesting at least.

He smiled at the other elves a little self-consciously. He was beginning to wonder if joining this expedition might not have been so smart after all. It had not escaped his notice that most of the others were very much younger than he. Half his age at best, and at worst—well, he wondered that some of these elves had even been allowed to the council, much less on the mission.

He stood alone, slightly separated from the rest of the group, and watched. It seemed that the youngest elves thought of this almost as a game. They were laughing and joking with each other as if they had already gone, discovered the missing elves, and triumphed over whatever had taken them. Reyn was not so confident. The spiders were growing more numerous and strange noises had pervaded his sleep until he’d come back to the area around Thranduil’s halls. It seemed almost certain to him that some of them would suffer the same fate as the missing scouts.

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 07-12-2003, 12:27 PM   #13
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

After she agreed to going with the company, Eruwen looked directly back towards her brother who was standing near the back. Nárello had no expression on his face, nor did he look up at his sister. Eruwen turned back around to face the company in dismay. She knew she might have been foolish for agreeing so quickly, but it was just something she had to do. Eventually she worked up the courage to walk back and face her brother as well. As her slow pace soon brought her at his position, she lowered her head.

"I know you’re mad at me," Eruwen said quietly. She heard Nárello take a deep breath, but then he looked up into her eyes.

"Eruwen, you are my sister," he replied. "I cannot be mad at you for doing this. If anything, I should be proud...for you have great courage to agree to go out there."

"Then why are you acting so ill towards me?" Eruwen asked.

"I just don’t want what happened to our mother to happen to you," answered Nárello.

"And it won’t. I’ll be careful...like always."

Nárello looked at her in disbelief. "Yes, that is what I am afraid of," he said with a slight laugh in his voice and took another deep breath. "But I guess if you must go, then I cannot stop you."

Eruwen smiled shyly in gratitude and hugged her brother before he left. "Tell father goodbye for me," she said. "I won’t be returning home before we leave."

Nárello nodded and replied, "Take care of yourself. I’ll be watching for your return every day."

As a friend of hers called her from behind, Eruwen bid farewell to her brother. She gave him another short hug and then Nárello turned to leave. Eruwen walked over and began to talk with her friend, Callo, who was a close neighbor to her.

"So you’re going as well are you?" Callo said confronting his longtime friend. "Aren’t you scared?"

"No...well," Eruwen replied uneasily. "I don’t know. Whatever’s out there is of course frightening, but I think I won’t have to worry about being scared. I’ve faces many fears in my lifetime."

"Yes, but you knew what all of those were," said Callo. "How will you do against the unknown?"

"Just fine," the She-Elf said. "Besides, it’s not like I’m going alone."

"Of course," Callo said turning towards Ceros in the front of the room. "You have Ceros, the brave with you…why should you be afraid?"

"He’s not the only one going, Callo. There are many others as well. Although, it is an advantage."

The two Elves laughed as they continued conversing for much longer.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:15 PM   #14
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Taurëwen sat quietly in a seat at the front of the great hall, it was now all but empty. She watched her companions while they said their good byes to loved ones and friends. Her own father had taken her distraught mother from the atrium shortly after she had volunteered to join Ceros and the others. Taurëwen knew she would see her parents before she left, for she would have to pack and gather herb's from the halls of healing.

She watched as a tall dark haired elf, who addressed himself as Reynion excused himself, saying that he would return shortly. Ceros had nodded his Assent saying "we must discuss, what plans need to be made." Reynion nodded and left hastily.

Taurëwen recognised this elf from her wanderings in the greenwood, she had come apon him a few times, often near the borders of their realm. But anytime she got close the male elf seemed to disappeared. She often suspected that the elf had a flet somewhere among the great trees, although she never looked for it, instead respecting the elf's obvious need for solitude.

As her sharp green eyes scanned her companions she realised just how young some of them really were. Ceros, herself and Reynion seemed to be the oldest among them, not that it mattered much to her for she was sure they were all skilled, each in their own way. Her mother always reminded her to never judge a person by their age or appearance, "it's what's inside that counts" she would tell her and Taurëwen had always found that to be good advice.

Taurëwen's eye's then caught Ainemetion's, she smiled gently as she realised that the young elf was also regarding the company. This elf she knew also, his mother, Evien worked in the halls of healing as many of the elves with healing skills did. Evien always spoke affectionately of her son, but Taurëwen always sensed that Evien was a little disappointed that her son had neither her or her husbands skills. Ainemetion was another who liked the peace and seclusion of the Greenwood, she would often see the young elf sat in rapt contemplation. She shifted her gaze so as not to make him feel uncomfortable

Her gaze fell on another young elf, this one she did not know, she watched as the young she-elf's long brown hair danced around her shoulders as she laughed with an older male elf that she did recognise, Nárello had visited her mothers halls quite a few times, admittingly he was usually bring others who were not so lucky or skilled as he. The young elven woman turned her head slightly and Taurëwen could see the resemblance these two were obviously siblings. Taurëwen turned away from them, she suddenly had the feeling that she was intruding by watching them enjoy each others company, much like she and her brother used to do.

As she turned she saw Arië and Gilbereth making their way towards Ceros and Ihwestaieleva, As she looked on Ceros, the memories of the day he came to their home, to deliver the sad news of her brothers disappearance, came flooding back to her. She remembered her mothers distress and her father concern, but most of all she remembered her harsh questioning of the older elf , who was her bothers superior. At the time she refused to believe that her brother would have simply gone missing, without trace. She even accused Ceros of not looking hard enough for the missing guards.

She lowered her head in embarrassment, but just then she felt a gently hand on her arm, "Are you, ok" asked another male elf that she did not recognise. "erm...eh...yes, I'm fine thanks" she replied. "My name is Airelóme" he smiled warmly "I think Ceros, wishes us to join him." As she slowly looked up she saw that Ceros was indeed beckoning them over. Blushing again she followed Airelóme over to were the others waited, and stood patiently to listen to what Ceros had to say.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #15
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Eye

As the meeting ended Thranduil rose and came towards Ceros. Ceros bowed at his king and greeted him with kindly words.

“My Lord, I thank you for letting us search for this shadow..” Ceros smiled at him extremely grateful for what his king had allowed him to do.

“Ceros, I have every confidence that you and this company,” he looked over to the 8 other Elves, “…will find this shadow and prevail against it.”

Ceros did not know quite what Thranduil meant by prevail but he was not going to question him. “Thank you again, I have one more question though…”

“Oh! And what may that be?”

“If we could take supplies from the halls?”

“Of course, I would not have you leave without any!” And so Ceros bowed one more time and Thranduil left the atrium.

Now the others started to gather around him, he wanted to speak with Orodhin but he had already left on business. He would catch his mother and father when at home, so now it was for the planning.

Ceros beckoned the last two remaining Elves over to where the party stood. At last maybe they could find out what this threat was and maybe persuade more of the Elves to put some sort of defence up against it. Firstly he asked them to follow him into a smaller chamber, just of the large room. When they had all filed into the respectably smaller of the two rooms Ceros shut the door. He asked if they would be seated around the rounded table that stood in the centre of the room. The room, as well as being small, was also dimly lit, but for a small fire place and a few torches on the wall. Along one wall of the room was a sizeable bookcase filled with maps and books of lore. As the others made themselves comfortable Ceros selected a thin maroon book from the top shelf and brought it to rest on the table.

“Thank you for all volunteering to come with me, this journey is a perilous one. A few of us have already felt the sting of this danger,” his eyes flashed around the circle looking with sorrow upon those who had lost someone: Ainemetion, Gilbereth, Taurëwen and Eruwen. He then took his seat. “ We will set out at midnight, so this evening we have time to prepare supplies.” The others nodded to him. “I trust you all have valuble skills that you carry with you, and hopefully we will be able to make good use of them.” Ceros looked around, the other stared at him and he felt a little intimidated by them, but he shook it off and continued.

He opened up the book and lay a large dusty map onto the table for them all to see. “We will be travelling south as that is where the threat seems to be emerging from.” He pointed out their route out on the map and then closed it. “Tonight we will meet outside these halls, just across the river. And once again thank you for coming, at least some of us care.” He muttered the latter quieter, but it looked as though only Ihwesta as she gave him a confused look. “We have been granted to use the supplies from the halls so take what you can, but stay light…carry only essentials.”

The others departed and left quickly bidding Ceros farewell. He stayed until it was just him left and waited for a while, studying the maps he had brought out, hoping that he would not be responsible for the loss of any lives. Just as Ihwesta was leaving she turned to Ceros.

“Ceros, they do care….they are just scared, I will see you at midnight.”

“ Ihwesta say farewell to Orodhin for me, I fear I will not see my dear friend for sometime now and it is unlikely I will be able to see him tonight, it is a shame he was unable to come. But….but I am grateful that you have.” he smiled and she gave a slight nod and left the room. He stayed there for a while toying with one of his knives. After a hour or so, when the fire was dying he left the room, he hurried quickly out of the halls and across the river that surrounded it. He was making his way to his parents home. As he came through the door his mother and father went about their ordinary affairs in the home. He bid the fare well, and they told him how proud they were of him. Ceros beamed with pride inside, for he always liked to please his parents no matter how childlike it seemed. Then he returned to his own home, packing only the fundamentals: Water, food, herbs, extra arrows and a old bound book. As he picked the book up he pondered whether to take it, but after a moment or so he threw it into the bag. Now he was ready. So he left his home and went to the meeting place, his heart exited but restless.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Ihwesta returned to her home that was just behind her mother and brother’s shop to get the few things she’d need. Minyahiniwen was already ahead of her filling new arrows into her quiver and Orodhîn had made himself useful by sharpening her two long-knives.

"Do not take Lintequesse," her mother called after her. "She will be our ransom until you come home."

Ihwesta took down her backpack from the hook beside the fireplace, monotonously placing into it the necessities she would require: flint, whetstone, lembas, and a small leather bound canteen to hang at her side.

Orodhîn entered bearing before him Ihwesta’s two long-knives now sharpened and ready for their sheaths.

“Thank you,” she said quietly as the blades disappeared into their pockets. The she-elf looked up at her brother. His face was expressionless and Ihwesta couldn’t know what he was thinking.

“Mother’s not angry,” he said. “She wants you to wait for Rildëoreion to return before you set out.”

“He is not home yet?” she pondered. “I wonder why.”

“You saw him at the meeting, sister. When you stood he made no movement of concern or dissent. He does not think anything of your decision. Nor does Minyahiniwen.” Averting his eyes from his sister’s questioning gaze, Orodhîn poured a glass of shimmering draught from the frail decanter on the table by the far wall. He held it for a moment in his hands before sipping it.

“You want to go Orodhîn. I know this. Minyahiniwen knows too I should think. One should know where one is needed and what one’s strengths are. You showed that you do at the council. Your strengths are in bowing and arrow-smithery. Mine aren’t. My talents are not as diverse as yours, Orodhîn, please remember. There is little I can give to the realm. All I have is sense: weather and tracking. The journey before me calls for such skills and so I give them freely. You understand.” Ihwesta walked to where her brother stood and hesitantly laid a hand on his shoulder. “You are stronger than I Orodhîn and our parents are proud.” She moved before him so that he had no choice but to look at her. “I am proud as well.” He smiled.

“Sister, may the star guide your path to your destiny, and may it fulfill all your dreams.” He leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the forehead. “I am proud of you.”

A tear had found its way into Ihwesta’s eye and ran down the length of her smooth cheek. Her brother turned then and left the room that had been her chamber since birth.

“Goodbye Orodhîn,” she whispered. “Goodbye.”

She packed little for she needed little and by the time her father returned home she was ready to go.

“Daughter,” Rildëoreion began. “I have no words of satisfaction or vigilance to share with you, please understand. The decision you have made is your own.” Ihwesta nodded understandingly and looked down as he withdrew something from his pack. It was a book bound with red leather and encircled with a braided strip of darker crimson embroidery floss to keep it shut. On its cover was stenciled a rose of many seasoned petals: Ihwesta’s favorite flower. It contained pages of blank space for sketching and here and there were written bits from tales of old elven history. In a long thin pocket on the inside of the cover was a piece of charcoal encased in wood so that it would not break or smear onto the hands while in use.

“I want pictures and descriptions of everything you see while you’re out there. If I’m to keep up with the history of our people, I need illustrations!” Ihwesta smiled inwardly, she should have expected this.

“Thank you father.” She kissed him on the cheek and hugged her mother goodbye.

“How long will you be gone do you believe?” queried Minyahiniwen. The elf maiden shook her head.

“I do not know. Not long.” She glanced quickly at her parents and older brother. “Oh yes, Orodhîn. Ceros sends his own fond farewells.”

“Return them for me please. And I wish him safely traveled.” Nodding, Ihwesta fastened her cloak of midnight blue over her shoulders and hoisted her bag onto her back. Not able to think of anything left to say she opened the door. The evening breeze entered the foyer, bringing to life the flames that danced on their wicks in their fat candles. The fire in the fireplace snapped and a shower of sparks disappeared into the air.

“Namarie,” she said softly. The door closed behind her closing away the comforts of her home. She walked slowly down the narrow path on her way across the river to where Ceros had determined they’d meet. As her feet carried her silently over the bridge, she caught a glimpse of the star-studded sky. How many times would the stars pass by before she returned home again?

[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 07-16-2003, 01:25 AM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Arië was the first ready that night. The moon was high and the stars bright. Though she did not admire them, this elf was far to wrapped up in her thoughts. The same thing came in and out of her mind constantly. A Shadow... of what?. It was the now ever present fear that haunted her days and nights.

Arië had seen how the other elves had refused to come and find this threat. And Ceros has done so much for them, for all of us. it was an emotion that Arië did not care for, she was gentler than that, and never was it she who would doubt an elf of her own kind.

She was packed lightly, as Creos had instructed, with her bow and daggers and small sachel which hung around her body. And she was no longer in a dress but a deep green tunic and light boots.

There would be some that thought that Arië the younger was not fit for exploring the depths of Mirkwood for an unseen enemy, she was not of that character. This thought amused her, Well, i am full of surprises.and waited for the others.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-16-2003, 10:55 AM   #18
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Eruwen left Callo to himself as the company was called for a quick meeting. Being advised to pack lightly and meet at midnight across the river that ran near Thranduil's halls. After the meeting was over, Eruwen walked outside onto the street once again. Mírie was still standing in the place she had left her steed, and Eruwen was glad to see her again. As Eruwen looked through her belongings that were tied to her horse securely, she saw that indeed she already had her bow and arrows already with her. She pulled a small dagger from another pouch and stuck it in a sheath secretly hidden within her boot.

As she also took her cloak from atop Mírie’s saddle and placed it around her own shoulders, Eruwen remembered one item that she had left at home...her grandfather’s flute. She sighed as she remembered her words to her brother about not going home again.

But I don’t want to have to say goodbye, she thought as she lent slightly again her steed. The flute is outside anyway. Perhaps I can just sneak by, grab it, and return here without anyone knowing. Oh, but if my father sees me, he will try everything in his power to get me to stay. But I must retrieve it. I cannot go without it.

Silently Eruwen quickly mounted Mírie and headed back for home. She raised the hood of her mantle as she approached the house so that possibly if she was to be seen, they would mistaken her as just another Elf and not stop her. She rode around in the forest nearby the house until she was closest to where she thought she had left the flute. As she alighted her steed as carefully as she could, she began to quietly walk over towards a tree that stood just feet from the bench her flute was lying on. Just when she was about to come out from hiding behind the tree and grab the flute, he father appeared. He stormed out of the house as if in some sort of rage, and made his way over to the bench Eruwen’s flute was upon.

Eruwen quickly hid once again behind the tree hoping to not be seen, but a faint sound caused her to become a little more inattentive. Her eyes widened as she realized the faint noise was her father’s own tears. Suddenly she heard him cry out aloud.

"Oh, Eru, what is happening!" he yelled now looking towards the sky. "My whole family is falling apart! Please protect my sweet daughter until she returns. Please let her return to me!"

Eruwen almost began to cry as she stood and listened to his words, but she remembered that she did want to go with the company, so she remained silent.

"And look," her father began again. "She has left her grandfather’s flute as well. Oh this is not well, for she goes nowhere without it."

Suddenly Eruwen began to hear the music of the flute. She turned her head slightly around the tree to see her father playing as tears were still streaming down his face. She sighed and slowly walked out from behind the tree.

"And to retrieve it is why I am here," she said softly as her father looked up at her in amazement. "I...I wasn’t going to come back before I set out with the company, but...I did need my flute. For, as you said, I can go nowhere without it."

Her father smiled merrily as he handed the flute to his daughter. Eruwen placed it around her belt where it could be hidden behind her cloak, and looked up at her father.

"I’m not going to stop you," he said to her surprise. "I know how much you want to do this, and I will let you go."

Eruwen muttered a faint "thank you" as she gave her father a short hug.

"Don’t worry, father," she said. "I will return. I promise you."

Saying these last few words, Eruwen ran off towards Mírie and mounted her steed. She waved goodbye to her father and her brother who now was outside the house and rode off. The ride back to Thranduil’s halls was short for she rode now at an extremely quick pace. Her heart raced rapidly as she thought of the dangers that soon await her and the rest of the company. Still having much time before they actually set out, Eruwen came upon the river and waited with another Elf who was already there. Soon they would indeed be setting out.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #19
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Taurëwen walked silently from the main Atrium to the Halls of Healing, Small gems in the intricately carved walls twinkled in the flickering light of the torches that lined the walls, as she passed, till finally she came to the large wooden doors of the halls, she smiled at the familiar sight of the woodland creatures that made up the carvings on the large green doors. She ran her hands across a carving of a majestic stag, before clutching the silver ringed handles and pulling the doors open.

The circular room was filled with the smells of fresh herb's and wild flowers, Incense and sweet perfumes burned to give the room a relaxed and calming effect, the walls were lined with shelves that held everything from Pestles and mortars to drying herb's and bottles of freshly prepared tinctures. There were three smaller wooden doors in this room the first was always opened and lead to the room of recovery a fairly spacious room that housed six beds, but could easily accommodate more if the need arose. At that time the room only housed two patients, A young lad who had unfortunately fallen from a tree while playing, and broken his leg, the other was a scout who had, had a rather nasty encounter with a black spider. It had taken many of them to counter the poison that coursed though his veins, he was very lucky to be alive. As she peeked in she saw that they both slept soundly.

The second door was the Lore room, the shelves in this room were lined with books and parchments describing every ailment and how best to treat them, as she near the door she could hear the busy scratching of quill on parchment, apprentice healers spent most of their time in this room, "Tarfolgin" her mothers voice whispered from behind her, "Does he ever rest" she grinned turning to face her mother. Her red were still puffy and red but she was no longer crying. "I remember you spending nearly as much time, if not more in that very same room during your apprentice years." she said smiling apon the grown woman who was her youngest child.

Taurëwen notice the Green woven satchel that her mother clutched in her hands. Nieninque seeing her daughters puzzled look, held it out to her, saying "It contains everything that you may need." Taurëwen carefully opened the flap of the satchel and looked inside, her mother had painstakingly selected every herb, root and Elixir she thought her daughter would require on her journey, Taurëwen was just about to close the bag when she saw a small leather bound bottle, "What's this?" she said frowning slightly, "Poison for your arrows" her mother answered innocently, "No! I will not us this" she cried thrusting the bottle into her mothers hands, "We have both seen how this works, slowly kill it's victim from the inside, No, I will not see any creature even my enemies die in this horrible way." her mothers eyes now beamed with pride, she had been worried that her daughter sought revenge for her brothers disappearance and feared that all her daughters kind and gently qualities would be lost to that emotion, but she was wrong and she was glad. she pulled her daughter into a tight embrace, whispering "Come join us for supper?"

"But I ...." Taurëwen started to answer but her mother put up a gentle hand to stop her, "Your Father has seen to your gear, now come Supper is ready. Taurëwen had a wonderful supper with her parents, her father telling her what to expect in the woods beyond the borders, even though he know full well she had been beyond the borders many times. her mother all through supper reminded her how to treat arrow wounds and sword wounds, spider bites and spider poisons all of which she knew off by heart, but she was happy to let her parents fuss over her, she knew it was their way to hide the worry they felt.

When supper was over she excused herself and went to the room that they kept for her, though she rarely used it. There on her bed was her pack and as her mother had said, it was already packed, she opened it to make sure everything was there, Lembas, dried fruits and nuts, a pair of beech grey leggings and two spare tunics, spare arrowheads and feathers, several water skins, as healer she needed more for cleaning wounds, rope and a few other things her father thought necessary. once satisfied she closed it and went to get her cloak, it was double lined one side was silvery grey and the other was forest green, she decided she would wear the silvery grey side as the first part of their journey would undoubtedly take them through the great silver beech trees that ringed their home.

She slipped the satchel her mother gave her over her left shoulder, so the bag part sat comfortably by her right hip, her sword she already wore on her left side and her long knife sat securely in the right side of her belt, she strapped on her quiver and clasped on her cloak, throwing the left side over her back so her quiver remained uncovered. She then threw on her light pack and grabbed her bow.

Her Parents were waiting for her, they said warm farewells then Taurëwen made her way silently along the passageways to the great door and across the bridge to the designated meeting place, where the other three female elves already waited.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:12 PM   #20
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Eladain Moruviel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That were to be part of the fellowship. There was Ceros standing next to Ihwesta "how strange they looked standing together" He thought to Himself Ceros being so tall, and Ihwesta, though not short was still far shorter than Ceros. They would both be part of the fellowship, for which Gilbereth was glad, because Ceros was a mighty warrior, and Ihwesta was probably the best tracker in Mirkwood.

Also coming along would be Taurëwen, she knew something of herb lore from what He had heard, and that would be useful if any of them were to become ill or injured. "I’m sure we won’t need her though" Gilbereth told Himself "we’ll just go in, find out what’s causing all this trouble, find the missing elves, and be back in a couple of weeks". But He knew He was just fooling Himself, this would be a dangerous quest and He knew it, but alas, it must be done.

Then there was that lad Ainemetion, the King shouldn’t have to let someone so young come along but that was the King’s business and not His. But perhaps he would prove useful, and after all, some of the others might not agree with the King’s decision to let Him come along.

While He was thus occupied, going over all the names of his fellow companions, He noticed out of the corner of his eye that Arië was smirking at him. He turned to look at her and asked rather irritably "what?" But Arië till beamed at him. " She always seems to be beaming" He said to Himself, but then she replied "I think it is strange that you, Gilbereth, who never comes to the King's meetings, has appeared at this one and agreed to go into the depths of Greenwood in search of an unknown enemy." He could tell she was trying to keep face. "...You may tear your clothes." She then said, and to this she laughed.

"You are just a child Arië!" Cried Gilbereth, but she rested a hand on his arm, still smirking, and said "come now, you know I adore you, I adore everyone. Let’s us two find Ceros. I am anxious to learn of when we might leave."

So the two went off to where Ceros and Ihwesta were standing, and as soon as the others came Ceros invited them all into a small room off th the side where they discussed the about the mission. Ceros confirmed Gilbereth’s worst fears, this would be very dangerous, and there would be many hardships, but hopefully it would only last 4 or 5 weeks, and they would have enough information to counter whatever evil dwelled in the south.

After the meeting Gilbereth went home to get packed.Having never been on such a journey, He wasn't quite sure what he should bring. He wanted to bring all of his new spring clothing (it would be a shame to let them go to waist) but He wasn't sure if he could carry all of them" and besides that, they might get ripped or dirty". He told Himself.

Just then his mother came in with a large package, inside were a forest green tunic, some dark brown leggings, Boots of the same color, a belt, and a black cloak to top it all. His mother laughed as she gave them to him saying "I thought you might need these, you aren't exactly dressed for going through the forest." she also handed him a small brown backpack in which to put the few things he was going to take with him.

After some time He was finally ready, not being fond of long farewells, He silently kissed His mother goodbye, clasped His father's outstretched hand, and headed for the door. He strapped on His sword dagger and buckler, threw his backpack over His broad shoulders, and went out the door. He didn't stop walking until he reached the bridge where the others were waiting.

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #21
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Reynion packed lightly, knowing that elaborate clothing would be wasted in the forest and would be only a burden. Three sets of leggings, three tunics, all in his signature black, lembas, with dried fruit to supplement it. He didn’t think they’d be gone that long, but lembas for every meal every day did get tiresome. He carried a small leather bota at his waist, with a larger one hanging at his back, both full of water. He brought a cloak, also black, that could double as a blanket. That was all.

Well, he also brought his weapons. He wore his quiver strapped to the side of his pack, and had his bow slung across his shoulders. His short knives were strapped along the inside of his forearms, and his longknives were slid inside his boots. He hesitated a moment when he came to his sword, but he attached its sheath to his belt. He braided his long black hair in one long braid down the center of his back to keep it out of his way. He was ready.

He took one last look at the room he’d lived in since he’d left his flet in the forest. Almost, it had become a home to him, more than anyplace else here in the safety of the northern parts of Greenwood. Then he straightened, and strode resolutely out of the chamber. Perhaps he’d never see it again.

When he reached the meeting place, it seemed that, this time at least, he was not the last to arrive. He smiled a little at the elves who were already there. Some of them he only recognized from the council at which they’d volunteered. A few he could remember seeing in the forest. None did he call friend. Though, as he had no friends, that was unsurprising.

The young elf—Gilbereth was it?—appeared to be new to woodswork. The young elvenmaid, Arië, had been teasing him when they first met to decide when and where to meet before starting off about his clothes getting torn. From that, Reyn thought that Gilbereth might be something of a clotheshorse, which thought was enough to make him laugh and forget his father’s oh-so-warm farewell. The idea of trudging through brush and bracken in the sort of things most elves wore to court functions was highly amusing, though Reyn wouldn’t say that to Gilbereth. Well, not at the moment. He might use it later if Gilbereth complained about camping in the rough woods.

Another elvenmaid—Taurëwen, he thought her name was—looked much more prepared and comfortable. She was one he remembered seeing in the forest, though he took pains to avoid her as much as he avoided anyone else. She was one of the few in the group who looked old enough to go outside alone. The rest looked like they should still be home with their mothers to him. It would be interesting to see what she did when the young elves started making mistakes.

Last, he considered Ceros and Ihwesta. She was standing very close to him; was there attraction there, or was it only his imagination working overtime? Probably the latter. Living alone did do some strange things to one’s mind. Still, Ceros didn’t seem like the type to do any flirting on a trip this serious anyway, even if there was attraction. He’d heard that Ihwesta was a great tracker. Reyn hoped that the rumors were true, as his skills lay more in the hunting of beasts, things that couldn’t think and plan against you. What they would be up against probably could. And Ceros. He was very focused on this mission. Reyn rather thought that he would finish this if it killed him.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #22
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

When all had gathered, packed and ready for their odyssey, Ceros called them to him. He had no more words, elves were a race of little dialogue, and they started off. He didn’t call for the trackers to the front so Ihwesta walked beside him as she would her own brother. She wished Orodhîn had come but knew he could not have.

“You think of your brother now Ihwesta?” asked Ceros in his deep soothing voice. Ihwesta relaxed.

“Yes, but the nostalgia will wear. It will build character yes?” Ceros smiled and they walked on, mostly in silence.

By the time a sliver of pale sunlight broke through the canopy of the forest, they had been walking eight hours. It was finally dawn and the elves continued until they reached a place where one of the disappearances had occurred. Ihwesta and Arië were immediately sent ahead with words of caution. They stayed in the shadows where they moved like wraiths, completely silent.

Their ears pricked up at every slight movement and rustle in trees ahead and behind. Then, the sound of a great beast moving quickly along the forest floor reached their ears. They made eye contact the minute they were sure it wasn’t their anxious imagination.

“Let’s go back,” mouthed Ihwesta. Her idea came just in time, for not a minute after the two elves had returned to their party did a large monster thought to be no more than legend, entered the clearing where they had just stood.

They told Ceros and the group of what they had heard. They came to suppose that it was no more than an old wolf, alienated from its pack, and probably wounded. They headed onwards, unknowingly veering further west from the path of a dangerous creature.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:53 PM   #23
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

After all the Elves had arrived at the bridge, they set out into the night, all of them wrapped in there own private thoughts. Gilbereth couldn’t even begin to guess what each one was thinking, nor did he care to try, for he had his own thoughts to occupy his mind. There was his brother, he had been missing for months, Gilbereth wondered what had happened to him, had he been injured, or was he still alive? If he was alive where was he now? These thoughts and many others ran through his mind, and he was startled when the sun broke through the trees.

They had been traveling for eight or so hours, but He hadn’t noticed the time slipping by. After a short time they came to the place where one of the Elves had disappeared, Ceros called them to a halt and sent the trackers out. After what seemed like ages, though it was really only a short time, Ihwesta and Arië returned. They reported hearing something in the forest close by, but said that it was most likely just a wolf or some other large animal.

While Ihwesta and Arië were gone, Gilbereth welcomed the short rest. Though he hadn’t noticed it before, he now realized that he was rather tired, and so he sat down with his back to a tree and rested for a short while. Most Elves don’t tire as easily as He, Gilbereth realized, but then again, he wasn’t used to traveling great distances, rarely traveling farther than the King’s halls.

When the Elves received the news from the scouts there was a low murmur, “suppose this thing turns out to be more than just a large animal.” Gilbereth thought to himself “Suppose there are more than one of them, and they catch up with us.” Gilbereth wasn’t sure if he would be ready for a fight, but he told himself that if one came, he wouldn’t back down from it. “Maintain your honor, and you gain other’s respect” his father had once told him. Well, he wasn’t about to show himself a coward, he would rather die.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #24
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

As Ainemetion carried his few belongings with him wherever he went, he saw no need for delay. Carefully, he checked the items off a mental list. His treasured knives, meticulously sharpened and cleaned, hung crossed behind his back; at his waist, he carried a length of rope, a small knife he used for whittling, and a small pouch containing a pair of flints. When sure all was in order, he waited impatiently for the rest of the company. Now that the decision was made, he longed to be off.

There were no tender farewells for Ainemetion. To be sure, his parents heard of his departure, and prayed for their son’s safety, but it was his own life. He had chosen his path, and it seemed the choice was now to lead away from his home. Evien stood in the doorway of her dwelling, to watch her son set out with the rest. It was only natural that a mother should do such a thing. Ashamed of her lack of emotion, Evien turned away.

Ainemetion was nowhere more at ease than in the wood. He resisted the urge to whistle merrily as he might have done under different circumstances. Instead, he thought over the company itself. There had been time enough to study them.

Ceros seemed a fine leader, someone who could be trusted to make right decisions. This was the type of person Ainemetion could serve with unquestioning obedience, and to serve a just master in a just cause was all that he desired from life. He was ashamed of having formed opinions of him too early.

The Elf called Gilbereth was not at all to Ainemetion’s liking. He saw a haughty bearing, a self-absorbed nature, and harshly critical eye. Such a person was nearly impossible for Ainemtion to tolerate. Yet, here he was, and no way out, nor did Ainemetion want any. He knew it was only a matter of time before he clashed with this one.

One Elf, Taurëwen, that was her name, had made an outstandingly favorable impression. She seemed quiet, and thoughtful. Also, he could tell that when she looked at something, or someone, it was not simply because that was where her gaze happened to settle. She had watched him a while, he knew; he wondered anxiously if she was pleased with what she saw.

Ainemetion had an immense respect for everyone in the company, apart from Gilbereth, and their approval was of great importance to him. To please others was once again his highest aim. He found himself angry that the old feelings could be so easily rekindled. Ainemetion had wished to be rid of them forever, and was distressed by his own fickleness. While he was alone, he could live for himself, pretending that no one else mattered. Now he was once again a slave to others, or at least that was how he chose to view it. Still, he hoped against hope that he had at last found individuals worthy of his devotion.

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Old 07-22-2003, 03:52 AM   #25
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Three days had passed since they had set of, and two had gone since they had left the southern gate. Ceros’ eyes glanced towards every noise his delicate ears sensed. His feet lightly padded the ground next to Ihwesta. Arië brought up the rear, her keen tracking skills picking up any thing Ihwesta may have missed or dismissed. Now they continued to walk along the uneven and broken Elven path, it had not be tended to in many years and the things that now infested Greenwood had without a doubt damaged the path. Ihwesta, who was ahead of the company halted, the rest followed suit.

She beckoned for Arië and Ceros to come forward. She bent down and traced her hand lightly over the footsteps that were imprinted on the ground. Ceros could see they were made by heavy iron, metal of some sort but the foot print could not be made by Dawaves, they would not even travel her, they had no reason to. The other two had obviously thought the same thing to but dismissed the idea as quickly as Ceros had. This was the first sign of the enemy.

“I believe we have found a sign of the enemy,” Ceros sighed, “ Arië, Ihwesta what do you make of the prints. We are agreed they are not Dwarves?” The two of them nodded, but did not replied to what or who the prints belonged to. In the back of his mind Ceros had an idea of what the prints belonged to, but did not want to say. The company continued onwards silently. Ceros thought about those who had joined him.

Ihwesta he knew fairly well, she was his best friends younger sister and he had known her for some time. She had always shown compassion towards Ceros’ ideas and always believed in them. Arië was a surprise to Ceros, she was younger than he had whished to be, but she was still respected and most of all willing to accompany him. He respected herself even more for this, as there had been many more skilled Elves than her at the council who had turned the plea down. But she had accepted.

Taurëwen, Ceros had seen around the realm but never really met her. He knew she was and expert in herb lore and he was grateful for her accompaniment. He had heard from others she too was as serious as he about the threat that Greenwood faced. Gilbereth, was another matter. Ceros, although gratified that he had chosen to come was not sure that his motives were entirely for their Greenwood. But still they needed every elf they could get. Ainemetion was quiet and Ceros was unable to gather much information about him. But in his eyes Ceros saw something, a strength, something willing to prove itself. Hopefully this would be a good asset.

Eruwen was also a younger elf than Ceros would have liked to accompany him on the journey, but she was high spirited and Ceros had now gained new reverence for her. Reynion Ceros did not know too well, he was not very social with others, but maybe this would not be a problem. Lastly Airelómë, Ceros knew well, he was lively and Ceros liked him. He was glad to have him as a part of the company as he was trustful and honest.

Now the company continued on at a slow pace, soon they would stop and make a fire. Get rested then continue.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:07 AM   #26
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Taurëwen felt right at home walking through the forest, she spoke little instead content to listen to what the others had to say. They were now two days away from the safety of their elven realm. Taurëwen recalled the cold shiver that had ran down her back as they passed under the eaves of the two large silver barked trees that stood either side of the south gate. She had always thought of them as silent sentries, that protected the gate from unwanted intruders. But as they had passed under them it seemed to Taurëwen that their bark was now a dark grey and that their branches now banged on the gates trying to break them down. She shivered again and shook the thought from her mind.

Other thoughts quickly replaced them, the wolf that Ihwesta and Arië had spoke of for one bothered her, she was quite attuned to sensing the pains of others be it elf or beast, it is what made her such a good healer. Hearing the trackers words she had stretched out her innate senses to find the beast, she had sensed nothing. Having no idea how far the two elven women had scouted ahead, she concluded that the wolf was either not injured and been frightened off by the elves presence or that the poor thing had died of it's wounds. the latter had saddened her.

But as they continued their journey, questions crept into her mind, one in particular plagued her. If the beast was injured why had Ihwesta and Arië found no trace of this? tracks? traces of blood? Something? she thought. She in no way doubted either elf's abilities, but something just didn't seem right to her. As she thought these things the company came to a stop, As she looked forwards she could she Ihwesta beckoning Ceros and Arië forwards. She watched intently as Ihwesta bent down and traced her hands across the ground.

"I believe we have found a sign of the enemy," she heard Ceros sigh, as she and the others drew closer. Taurëwen regarded Ceros for a moment, Had he secretly hoped, that he was wrong? if this was the case she could understand, no one would wish such things to be true. Or did their leader see something else that worried him, she sifted her gaze from the elf to the foot print the three had been examining, it was nothing she had ever seen before, her tracking skills were limited to the animals of the forest and her fellow elves, who's tracks were light on the ground and only close inspection would reveal them, but this print was course and marked the ground clearly, but still she could not guest as to what would make such a heavy print.

Ceros moved them on and they continued at a slow pace, Taurëwen now held her bow in her hand, she had thought that the print did not seem all that old and she wished to be prepared if they should come across it's owner. Her elven ears listened to the sounds of the woods listening for something new or unfamiliar. Shortly before dusk Ceros again stopped the company, they had left the broken path and found a small clearing, it is there that they set up camp. Taurëwen began gathering fire wood, hoping beyond hope that she would not be asked to hunt, for she could see that some of the elves were growing tired of Lembas and dried fruits.

As she fleeted silently in and out of the trees searching for fallen branches and dead wood, she sensed another followed her doing the same, she smiled that the thought of not being alone, she normally preferred to be alone, but the wood seemed less friendly here, and although it saddened her greatly, she was gratified that another was with her. She turned her head slightly to see which elf aided her in her task...
Old 07-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #27
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Reyn smiled a little when Taurëwen glanced back at him. He’d seen her leaving the camp, and had followed because the woods hereabouts seemed…malevolent. The trees were darker, the light was less than usual. The entire area seemed that it did not welcome the elves’ presence. Though he gathered wood with one hand, he kept the other ready to snatc.h a knife out of his sleeve at any time. Things just did not seem right here, but what had made it this way, he could not tell.

As he’d passed, he’d taken a look at the print that the others had mentioned, and had wondered what would make such a harsh mark in the earth. It was so deep. Whatever had made that print did not care for the forest. He supposed it could be a man, but what man could have made it into Greenwood without being spotted by the sentries? It just didn’t make sense. Not any sense at all.

He reached out and took a largish branch—and stopped short. This branch wasn’t ordinary dea.dfall. It had been hewed from the living tree only a few short hours ago. There was nothing wrong with this branch as far as he could tell, it had no holes where there shouldn’t be any, nor did it look to be infested with bugs. Now, it was one thing to cut dying branches off to allow the tree to live longer, or for wood when there wasn’t enough dea.dfall, but to cut a thriving branch off the tree for no purpose at all? That was just wrong. He stood up quietly and looked up at the tree above his head. There was the cut where the branch he held had been and the area around it was scored with even more marks. It really looked as though someone had just chopped up the tree to vent their frustration. He didn’t want to think that it might be for some other reason, nor what could be capable of such an act.

He looked around again and saw that this tree was not alone in its pain. Several others had been marred in a similar manner. Reyn clenched his fist. Who or whatever had done this would have to pay for these trees. And it was no longer any wonder that the forest seemed to resent their presence, with a violation such as this upon them. It just made him so angry…

“Taurëwen. Look at this,” he whispered, gesturing for her to come over and see. Her expression mirrored his shock and outrage when she saw what had happened to the trees. She looked at him in dismay.

“What could do such a thing?” she murmured, not really expecting an answer.

“I don’t know.”
Old 07-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #28
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

They set in to camp in the early evening when only the fading red rays of the setting sun shone through the most open parts of the canopy. Taurëwen and Reynion had gone off for brushwood so that the elves might cook something to eat other than the dried fruits and nuts they’d been eating these past few days.

The job of hunting had been assigned to Ihwesta and Arië who took it up gladly. Their days of walking had taken its toll on the two trackers and they decided to make a game out of their little task. Making their way absent from the others, Ihwesta unhooked the quiver from her belt and chose from it three black arrows. These she held in her hand, leaving the others where they were on the ground at the base of the black poplar. Arië did likewise.

Their bows over their shoulder, the two laid out the rules.

“Right,” said Ihwesta looking around. “Ye can go no further than two hundred yards in either direction. Ye may only use the three arrows chosen and must hit the target so that it dies instantly or else it won’t count.”

“Of course, if that does happen, we’ll still take it back to cook we won’t leave it,” insisted Arië thinking of their animal-tender friend.

“Naturally,” agreed Ihwesta humourously. “Alright on my mark we’ll go. Be back here with your catch and whoever gets here first with three animals wins, unless ye loose all your arrows then come back anyhow. Got it?” Ihwesta looked towards her friend in gaming. Arië nodded readily.

“Go!” The two women raced off in opposite directions, bows at the ready with the first arrow notched in place. Within ten seconds of the start one of Ihwesta’s black shafts had whispered through the air and found its mark in a large hare, sitting at the base of a mature beech. The she-elf leapt over the gorsebush separating her from her catch and quickly put the game into her bag that hung around her neck and under her left arm, resuming her hunt immediately.

Not fifty yards away, Arië was having her own success, the forelimb of her first catch hanging slightly out of her bag. It was then that the stag came into view. His neck was bent down as he lapped water from a cool running stream. Thrilled that she had found him first, Arië aimed at the deer. Before she could loose the arrow, the stag’s ears pricked and its head shot up in alarm. Swift as the shaft notched in her bow, he darted away through the trees into the shadows, first Arië thought to go after him but as she moved into the clearing, Ihwesta joined her.

“You saw him too!” exclaimed Arië.

“Shush,” Ihwesta said, staring at the place where the stag had disappeared. Suddenly Arië’s senses also picked up the presence of a second, larger creature moving through the forest, just beyond the clearing’s edge. The two crouched down and moved quickly back into the shadows, waiting for the creature to show itself. The rustling of undergrowth grew louder and nearer. When it seemed like the beast was just out of eyeshot, it retreated again and vanished.

“What do you think it was?” asked Arië, peering into the darkness after it.

“I haven’t a clue. But it wasn’t a wolf like we thought.” The other tracker agreed, adjusting her rabbit’s leg so that it was emerged entirely. “Did ye have much luck?” queried Ihwesta, trying to get a peek inside her opponent’s bag. Arië quickly shut it, an enigmatic smile on her face.

“You’ll find out when you return to the clearing to see me standing there first!” and with that the two parted again, taking up their game. In another ten minutes, Arië returned to the clearing to see Ihwesta there first, two decent sized conies laid out on the ground before her. The youngest let a slight elvish curse escape her lips before revealing her own catch: three small rabbits.

“Smaller game is harder to pursue!” Arië argued.

“Sorry mate,” said Ihwesta, unmistakable satisfaction written on her face. “It looks like you’re going to be cooking dinner to-night!” In a much lighter mood than they had been in when they started out, the two elves made their way back to camp where Arië talked Eruwen into cooking their catch.

“Do you think we should tell Ceros about the stag?” asked Ihwesta as she savoured the brilliant stew concocted by Eruwen. Arië glanced towards their leader and shook her head.

“No. I don’t think it anything serious. The deer might have sensed one of us.” Doubting the probability, Ihwesta finished her light supper and took out a sheaf of parchment on which she drew a portrait of the stag they had seen. It was a magnificent creature, and Ihwesta was almost glad neither had caught it. Although, thought the elder as she drew, It would have been a pleasant feeling to see the look on Arië’s face when it had dropped dead from Ihwesta’s shaft right before her eyes! Smiling to herself, she finished the drawing as the fire dwindled and others began to settle themselves down comfortably to enjoy their first break.

“Well done on the catch,” said Airelómë as he walked by where Ihwesta and Arië were seated. “It was just what we needed.” He winked before moving on to join Ceros and Ainemetion. Ihwesta’s gaze lingered on the trio before resuming her portrait. It was relaxing to sit here by the fading firelight with her sketchbook, listening to the scattered conversations of her companions.

“I hear it again,” said Arië suddenly, looking up from her musings. “That’s the third time Ihwesta, let’s go find out for sure.” Airelómë saw them stir in concern and stepped in. The two trackers told Ainemetion, Ceros and Airelómë of their thrice encounter with the sounds of the same sort moving through the dense forest.

“I’ll go check it out,” vouched Airelómë. “The two of ye have been out hunting already and it’s time for ye to enjoy our break.” Before either could agree, not that they would have, he was off, bow in hand, in pursuit of the mysterious creature.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #29
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Reyn loosened his knife in its sheath, even if it wouldn’t be likely that the creature who’d marred the trees thus would return. Still, there was the sounds that the scouts had heard, and the prints in the mud. He wanted to be prepared, just in case.

Reynion and Taurëwen returned to the camp, both bearing armloads of wood for the fire, Reyn also bearing a branch that had been hacked off a tree while it was still thriving. The branch itself had been bearing well, until it was so cruelly severed. The trees that had been marred thus had the same sort of feel to them as had the footprint earlier. A wrongness to them.

Reyn crossed to Ceros and tapped him on the shoulder. When he turned around, Reyn whispered, “I hate to interrupt, but there’s something I think that you should see.” He drew Ceros aside and showed him the marks of an axe on the branch. “There were several more that were cut, or rather, hacked, in such a manner, and the trees were defaced as well. I don’t like this, Ceros. I don’t like this at all. I had thought that Greenwood would be safe from this sort of thing for a very long time. And now, it looks like that time is over.”

He left the other elf standing there with the branch, and took up a place in the shadows beyond the fire, where his black clothing mad his face appear to be floating in midair. He watched Airelómë go into the bushes and wondered if it was related to the sounds that had been noted twice or thrice by Ihwesta and Arië. He hoped that the elf would come to no harm. Airelómë was one of the elves he found to be woodswise and would probably be useful in a tight spot.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 07-24-2003, 04:13 AM   #30
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Ceros watched as Airelómë made he way of into the forest. He did not think that someone should go with him, he was an able fighter and he would no doubt comprehend the thing that Ihwesta and Arië had heard now three of four times. As he watched he felt as tap on his shoulder, he turned around and was greeted by Reynion. He was holding a branch up to him.

“I hate to interrupt, but there’s something I think that you should see.” He drew Ceros aside and showed him the marks of an axe on the branch. “There were several more that were cut, or rather, hacked, in such a manner, and the trees were defaced as well. I don’t like this, Ceros. I don’t like this at all. I had thought that Greenwood would be safe from this sort of thing for a very long time. And now, it looks like that time is over.” Ceros took the branch from him and Reynion withdrew back into a shadow. Ceros examined it of several minuets, tracing a hand over the marks. The cuts were made by axes he could see that clearly enough, but who the axes belonged to he was not skilled enough to say.

“Ihwesta! Arië!” he summoned them over to his side. He showed them the branch and told them of his thoughts.

“Well you are right, these are axe marks…” said Arië taking the branch from Ceros.

“But they are too uneven to be crafted by our kind or even the Dwarves, maybe even men…” Ihwesta now too traced her hand across the branch.

“If it is none of them……what is it?” sighed Ceros, “ It can not be hobbits they would not dare venture this far, and surely the animals and birds do not make these weapons!” The three stood exasperated with the guessing. “We will leave this until tomorrow morn, now let us rest and eat.” The three dispersed around the small cap which was now formed. Ceros sat himself down upon an arrangement of large boulders, her leaned against them and looked up into the sky. Night had fallen now and the stars danced in the night sky. And so he softly sang a song her had composed, it was quiet so none of the others could hear

One tone is mute within the starry singing,
The unison fulfilled, complete before;
One chord within the music sounds no more,
And from the stir of flames forever winging
The pinions of our sister, motionless
In pits of indefinable duress,
Are fallen beyond all recovery
By exultation of the flying dance,
Or rhythms holding as with sleep or trance
The maze of stars that only death may free-—
Flung through the void's expanse.

When he had finished he continued to gaze up into the sky. It had been some time now and he had heard no sign of Airelómë’s return. He lifted his head and looked around the camp, no he had not returned.

He called out, “Airelómë, has he returned yet?” He was greeted by the shaking of heads.

“We have seen or heard no sign of him,” whispered Eruwen who was close by. Ceros worried, Airelómë was an able elf, he could not have got lost, or attacked.

“We must find him!” he called out again.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:57 AM   #31
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Arië felt a slight tinge of being older when she was with the others. Ihwesta who had taught her a great deal of the tracking skills she knew had beckoned her to scout. Arië felt emmence honour in this and put it to her best to find what danger lay ahead.

Several times the young elf had felt movings in the forest ahead, but time again they were disappointed. Ihwesta and Arië were in charge of hunting, while this was not her usual pastime Arië accepted, at the same time a pressure was put apon her shoulders. We must eat...she told her self. The game that Ihwesta had made up was close to genius, and occupied her mind from what she was doing.

Biearyn Arië had already managed to catch two rabbits before she came upon a stag by the edge of a brook, and Arië was taken aback. Almost hypnotised by the creature, she edged foward fitting an arrow to her bowstring, she aimed for it, unaware Ihwesta was watching her. What a noble creature, but i cant, it is an animal of grace, i would be shunned for it.

It was lucky for Arië that the stag took that moment to run, Ihwesta came out of the shadows. It was not long until a presence was felt by the two. It felt to Arië that dread was upon her.

Ihwesta had won the hunt, and it was Arië who was supposed to do the cooking, but as cunning as The younger was, she persuasivly talked Eruwen into doing the job for her. "Thanyou Eruwen!" she said over and over.

The camp was an excellent opportunity for Arië ot get the interaction with elves from her own land which she had never met before, for many did not spend as much time near to the elf king as her family. Ceros was one of these, but to the exception that she had known him for rather a long time. Ihwesta was a good friend to Arië, she always had been, her brother as well as herself had been good to her over the years, teaching her things about the woods which her father would not.

Eruwen amused her, she was a good soul and had been very good company. Animention, on the other hand was more practical, and had a great love for his weapons, he was one of whom you could tell was an excellent stratigest. Taurëwen was quieter, like herself, though Arië was by far the most gentle of the company.

It was at dinner that Ihwesta had told Arië to sit by her, and she did gladly. Gilbereth however did not seem to be getting along as well with the others and was slightly isolated. "You arent used to this are you Gilbereth? out in the wood." she said standing watching the fire. "If it makes you feel any better, i will not jest about your clothes ever again." she laughed, but noticed Gilbereth did so half heartedly. "Give them time they will come around, we are all different here." she stopped and turned around to face him. "Let me tell you something, I almost caught the most magnificant stag today...." and told him tales of Ihwesta and her hunt of the day, of which some of the other elves turned to listen. "Natrually, Ihwesta, thought that she saw it first." she flicked her eyes to her direction where Ihwesta just smiled. "It was all you Younger!" she laughed.

"No, we saw it at the same time." admitted Arië before pulling up short. It was there again, that feeling, Ihwesta and Arië then told Ceros and the others of their comings. It was Airelómë who offered to go to see what it was. For a long time Arië's pale eyes lingered on the part of the woods where he went, a fear struck newly into her heart.

Time had passed and he had not returned. "Where do we begin to look then Ceros?" she asked, painfully aware that their friend could well have fallen victim of the threat.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #32
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Taurëwen was still disturbed by the needless damage inflicted on the tree's. On their return to camp they passed Airelóme going into the woods, He winked jovially at her as he passed, but the determination in his eyes told her that something worried him and this added to her own concerns.

Once back at the camp Taurëwen let Reynion go to Ceros with their discovery. Soon the smell of Eurwen's stew filled the camp, Taurëwen moved a little off from the camp, the thought of the rabbits that had died so that they could eat saddened her, but she knew it was a necessary part of the circle of life.

She sat under a large beech and ate some lembas and dried berries, She watched as conversations erupted among the gathered company, she had not seen Reynion leave but she knew he would not be far. Her thoughts kept returning to the needless hurt the great and once beautiful trees had recieved, no wonder they are turning dark and resentful she thought bitterly to herself. But who or what would do such a thing, the question kept repeating itself in her mind and still she had no answer. Her head started to ache as the question she could not answer haunted her, "I will find out" she whispered determinedly, as she balled her fists.

Her sudden rage startled her so she took out a few calming herb's and leaned back against the tree to take some rest, before Ceros moved them out again, without realising she had rubbed the herb's together in the palm of her hand, she looked down at the pulped herb's in her hand, she gave it a tentative sniff then shook her head "Taurëwen what are your hands thinking what use will a sleeping mix be to us" she laughed under her breath. She picked up a fairly large leaf that had fallen from the beech she sat under and wrapped the pulped herb's in it and put it carefully in her satchel. she then wiped her hand on her skirts the green stain was hidden in the greens of her skirt.

"Airelómë, has he returned yet?" Ceros's words startled her and she looked around the camp then back to the forest where she had last seen him, no he had not passed her! she shook her head, as did the others.

She felt a great foreboding, Airelóme seemed to her to be quite competent and he had seemed swift on his feet, she could not believe that he would lose his way, so that left only one other explanation in her mind, he had found something and could not return! There was off course the fact that he may be dead, but just now Taurëwen was not ready to accept that fate had befallen her companion.

She sprang to her feet pulling her bow from her back and faced in the direction that she had last seen the lively elf.

"We must find him!" she heard Ceros call, it was just then that she realised that she had heard nothing from the woods for some time, no scurrying of animals on the forest floor no night birds, even the trees were silent, "I don't like this" she whispered aloud to herself, "Neither do I" said another. She didn't look up, she recognised the voice as Reynion's.Instead she kept her piercing green eyes trained on the darkness of the woods.

"Where do we begin to look then Ceros?" she heard Arië ask, but before Ceros could answer she voiced her own concerns "Ceros, I think we should stay in groups, no-one should be on their own" as she spoke she did not take her watch off the forest, she was concerned that if they split up, the darkness would take them one by one. Her worry clearly carried on her soft but firm words.

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #33
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Reynion firmly agreed with Taurëwen on that point. Airelome had been alone, and now Airelome was gone. Gilbereth didn’t seem to be listening though. As the others planned, the young elf stepped away from the fire as though to look on for the missing elf on his own. He moved to intercept.

“Did you not hear her, child? She is more woodswise than you are and you would do well to listen to your elders,” he admonished quietly. This was not a time for anyone to play the hero at the possible cost of another life. Yes, another life, for Reyn had no doubt that they had seen the last of a good elf when Airelome disappeared. He did not trust this quiet. Not at all.

The younger elf seemed uninterested in either Taurëwen’s or Reyn’s warnings, and tried to shove past. Reyn took him by the shoulders and gestured sharply out at the others. “Look, child, those elves are smart enough to stay together. If you go out there alone, you will be out of all our hair, and I very much doubt that any of us would miss you. I don’t care what you have to prove by coming out here, getting yourself killed won’t do it.”

He let go and walked away from Reyn, towards Taurëwen. He leaned toward her and whispered in her ear, “I don’t think we’ll find him, but why don’t we check around those trees? The ones that were…attacked.”

She nodded, and told Ceros where they were going. No use in causing another search, after all. They started away, praying that somehow, Airelome would come back and make all this fuss unnecessary. Reyn saw Gilbereth standing alone and regretted his harsh words. They were supposed to be on the same side, and Gilbereth couldn’t make himself older by wishing, now could he?

“Gilbereth, come with us. Maybe you can help,” he invited, half-surprised that he was inviting this foppish, and foolish, youngster along.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:50 PM   #34
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ihwesta gathered her things together and had Arië help secure her quiver to her back after discarding it for their hunting game.

“Do you think he might have been Taken?” whispered the Younger anxiously. Ihwesta paused, it hadn’t crossed her mind and now she began to worry. “I mean, with the branch Reynion brought back—” Ihwesta laughed, cutting her off.

“That was orc work that was, and I’m sure Ceros knows it!” Crossing her pack’s strap over her left shoulder she pulled up the edges of the boots she had traded for her usual flat shoes and waited for Ceros to give the go-ahead. She retied her hair tightly into a long brunette ponytail adorned with feathers, and beads.

“Ceros, I think we should stay in groups, no-one should be on their own” said Taurëwen as she kept her gaze on the forest. Ihwesta agreed silently fleeting a glance at the she-elf. Her words were fine but Ihwesta felt liking taking orders from Ceros or no one for the time being. She had only met these elves before their trek and it wasn’t like her to give them the benefit of the doubt.

At that time Ihwesta looked towards Gilbereth who was looking at the woods dubiously changing his spot of attention haphazardly. He didn’t look like there was anything to fear at the moment until a shadow moved just under his gaze. Surprised he shook his head. When the shadow came and went a second time he moved forward and was, at that time, intercepted by Reynion who assumed he was going off on his own.

“Did you not hear her, child? She is more woodswise than you are and you would do well to listen to your elders,” he admonished quietly. Gilbereth, thinking his words a jest, tried a second time to move past him. Ihwesta set down her bow, narrowing her eyes as she saw the scene unfold.

“Look, child,” he continued seriously. “Those elves are smart enough to stay together. If you go out there alone, you will be out of all our hair, and I very much doubt that any of us would miss you. I don’t care what you have to prove by coming out here, getting yourself killed won’t do it.” That was enough and Ihwesta moved forward, shaking off Arië who tried to stop here.

“I’ll fancy that,” she said coldly. Reynion turned catching the irritated glint in her dark blue eyes. “He saw a shadow, I saw it at as well. It is unlike the elves of Mirkwood to be so unfeeling with their own.” Reynion, eyes peering at her uncertainly began to speak. Ihwesta interrupted. “You’ll do well,” she began firmly. “To keep your ‘woodwise’ opinions to yourself.”

“He’s a fop,” Reynion said in undertones so that Gilbereth might not hear. “If you think there’s hope in him, you teach him.” Ihwesta’s firm countenance faltered but her voice carried on.

“I will,” she said evenly. Then catching Gilbereth’s eye and beckoning him to join Arië and herself, stalked away from the seething Reynion.

Ihwesta, still put off by Reynion’s rude behavior towards Gilbereth be he fop or no, stood rigid as she peered into the woods.

“Alright Ihwesta, Arië,” said Ceros. “Ye two shall go ahead twenty or so yards. We’ll follow.” With that the two trackers, Ihwesta filtering her mood, moved off into the forest to hunt for the now four hour missing Airelómë.

‘Which way?’ mouthed Arië. Ihwesta crouched down so that her chin touched the soil.

‘This way,’ she answered, taking up her bow and shooting through the trees again. She shot too fast and came face to face with an orc. Unsheathing her long-knife she slashed through his throat before he could even register what had happened. Pulling his body then into a thicket so that his friends might not come upon him, she moved back to where Arië stood silent, surprised at the sudden encounter.

‘I knew it!’ Ihwesta cursed faintly, looking back the way their companions were soon to follow. At that moment a great crashing sound erupted in the forest and a monster, the size of a table appeared in the clearing just behind them, separating the trackers from the group. The two she-elves’ eyes widened in shock and they dove into the clearing trying to get around the creature they had now identified as a mutant spider.

“Ceros!” whispered Ihwesta frantically as she came upon them. “The Spawn of Ungoliant! Of Shelob! The legends are true indeed!” The elf’s expression slackened. The she-elf understood his feelings and knew that she’d laugh if someone had told her such a thing. “Look! I do not jest!” Grabbing him by the wrist she towed him near enough where he could get a decent view of the spider who had a small orc in it’s jowls. Ceros didn’t freeze but instead jolted into action giving distinct orders to the group who fanned out, surrounding the monster.

Ihwesta and Arië ran ahead, scouting for orcs and, as dreadful as it seemed to them, other spiders. What if they travel in multitudes? thought Ihwesta recklessly. What are our odds? Reaching back into her memory of education in the palace she remembered at least how the legendary heroes killed them. At that moment a distressed shout came from behind and the two turned to see Airelómë running towards them.

“Spiders!” he screamed. Baffled by the elf’s hysteria, both Arië and Ihwesta tried to restrain him. “Let me go!” he yelled threateningly. When they refused, Airelómë hit Ihwesta hard across the face. Shocked, she loosed her grip and the elf tore from Arië’s arms.

“He’s gone mad!” said Arië in terrified awe. “Come on Ihw—ooh—are you alright?” she said, seeing the welt across her face. The she-elf nodded firmly. “Well come on! We’ve got to do something!” Following Arië after their crazed companion, Ihwesta kept searching for more spiders as they pursued. “There!” shouted Arië. Airelómë had just disappeared from view behind a large aspen. As soon as he was out of sight a strangled scream came from where he stood and the two saw blood spray from behind the trunk. The trackers leapt into the tree and saw the hideous sight below them. A spider, bigger than the one in the clearing had pounced upon their elf friend and was now making a meal out of him, oblivious to those in the tree above.

Arië was first to realize his ignorance and lowered herself bravely so that she was just above him. Notching two arrows she shot him evenly in each of his largest eyes, the fluid pouring into his many others. Ihwesta, in her fury, took that chance to leap upon the ground, rolling under it so that her knives might plunge up into its belly releasing the putrid ingredients within. She moved just before they spilt out of the dying animal, and quickly wiped the poison from her blades before re-sheathing them.

“They do travel in packs,” said Arië somberly, leaping down from her place.

“We have to hurry!” said Ihwesta.

“But Aireló—” began the Younger. Ihwesta paused then turned, shaking her head slowly.

“We can’t touch him Arië. It’s safest. I’m sorry.” Ihwesta felt a pang of guilt. It were as though she was heartless to let a companion rot under the carcass of the enemy. But the poison in the once legend beasts was nefarious. Ihwesta wouldn’t risk it. Consenting reluctantly, Arië followed, tears forming in her eyes.

The two met up with Ceros and the rest.

“What happened?!” demanded their leader, his face taking in the bleeding welt across Ihwesta’s face and the dirt and blood upon both their clothes.

“Airelómë’s dead,” she said hoarsely. “Spider’s work.” She would leave out the part about his craziness for when Ceros and she were alone. It was the wrong time to share such information with the rest of her group. The fellowship, minus one of their friends hung their heads, tears dropping from the eyes of the females.

“Where is he?” asked Ceros. “Where is his body?”

“Underneath the spider’s that hath killed him. The poison runs through his useless blood Ceros. It would be unwise to touch him. We cannot bury him.” Then the tears came. Ihwesta wept for her harshness, the death of Airelómë, not being able to give him a proper burial, and even for losing her temper with Reynion. Suppose he had been killed! She wept on as Ceros comforted her, taking on the role of her brother.

The woods around them had been cleared of orcs, frightened by the spider’s appearance. The company was alone to mourn the first death among them. And the last swore Ihwesta. So help me Eru!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #35
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Eye

After eating his meal in silence, Gilbereth went off to alone to one side of the camp. He preferred to be alone for now, at least until he got to know the others better. After a while he unsheathed his sword and began cleaning it, the long narrow blade gleaming in the sunlight. He meticulously sharpened, and polished its shining surface, and when He was satisfied, returned it to its sheath.

A few moments later Arie came over to talk to Him "You arent used to this are you Gilbereth? Out in the wood." she said standing watching the fire. "If it makes you feel any better, i will not jest about your clothes ever again." she laughed, but Gilbereth only did so half heartedly. "Give them time they will come around, we are all different here." she stopped and turned around to face him. "Let me tell you something, I almost caught the most magnificant stag today...." and told him tales of Ihwesta and her hunt of the day, of which some of the other elves turned to listen. "Natrually, Ihwesta, thought that she saw it first." she flicked her eyes to her direction where Ihwesta just smiled. "It was all you Younger!" she laughed.
"No, we saw it at the same time." admitted Arië. Gilbereth enjoyed the company of Arie, it was good to talk to another person, something he had hardly done since they started on this trek.

Gilbereth’s thoughts turned to Airelome, he had been gone for some time, had something happened to him He wondered. Just then He heard Ceros say "Airelómë, has he returned yet?" They all shook there heads "Where do we begin to look then Ceros?" He heard Arië ask, but before Ceros could answer Taurewen
replied "Ceros, I think we should stay in groups, no-one should be on their own". “This was sound advice” He thought, “My only problem will be finding someone willing to let me go with them.

Just then Gilbereth thought He saw something moving in the woods,Surprised He shook his head.
He couldn’t be sure he had seen anything, but no, there it was again, a shadow. He moved out of the firelight to get a better view when He was intercepted my Reynion. “Did you not hear her, child? She is more woodswise than you are and you would do well to listen to your elders,” Reynion admonished quietly. Gilbereth, thinking his words a jest, tried a second time to move past him. “Look, child,” he continued seriously. “Those elves are smart enough to stay together. If you go out there alone, you will be out of all our hair, and I very much doubt that any of us would miss you. I don’t care what you have to prove by coming out here, getting yourself killed won’t do it.”

Just the Ihwesta came up to them and said “I’ll fancy that,” she said coldly. Reynion turned catching the irritated glint in her dark blue eyes. “He saw a shadow, I saw it at as well. It is unlike the elves of Mirkwood to be so unfeeling with their own.” Reynion, eyes peering at her uncertainly began to speak. She interrupted. “You’ll do well,” she began firmly. “To keep your ‘woodwise’ opinions to yourself.”

Ihwwesta motioned For Gilbereth to follow her and Aire “thank-you” He breathed so that only Ihwesta could hear as they went off. They shot through the trees at a breakneck speed, and then ran face to face with an orc.Unsheathing her long-knife Ihwesta slashed through his throat before he could even register what had happened. They then pulled his body into a thicket so that his friends might not come upon him.

At that moment a great crashing sound erupted in the forest, and a monster, the size of a table appeared in the clearing just behind them, separating the trackers from the group. The two she-elves’ eyes widened in shock and they dove into the clearing trying to get around the creature they had now identified as a mutant spider.

“Get behind me!” cried Gilbereth to the she-elves and stepped between them and the monster. He unsheathed His sword and faced the beast, not sure of how to approach it. This was a monster that until now He had thought only a myth, but now here it was standing in front of Him, trying to kill Him even!

When He was sure that the two elves were safe Gilbereth advanced upon the beast, circling slowly to it’s right. Then the beast lunged at Him, this caught Him off guard He hardly had time to jump back, but he was lucky, for it had a small orc in it’s jaws and was unable to bite him. He continued to circle it, staying just out of reach of the creature, not knowing what else to do. By this time it had dropped the orc, and was clicking it’s jaws angrily.

Then an idea struck Him, he circled around once more, feinted for the spider’s belly, and then quickly slashed the creature’s eyes in two deft strokes. Unable to see, it charged about madly through the clearing.At this time Ceros came to his aid, and together they were able to quickly slay the creature."You came just in time" Gilbereth panted when the creature lay dead "For that I thank you"

They joined up with the others a little while later, and found out about Airelome’s death, this saddened Gilbereth greatly, but He was also grateful that no others had been killed. They all headed back towards camp, and when they got there Gilbereth collapsed at the base of a great tree and rested.

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 07-25-2003, 12:10 AM   #36
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Reyn wiped his forehead with the back of his hand, thinking back over the words that had passed between himself, Gilbereth, and Ihwesta. Unfeeling? Aye, I suppose I sounded it at that. I didn’t mean to. Maybe if I cut out my tongue it wouldn’t get me into so much trouble, he thought wryly. It seemed that whenever he said something that wasn’t meant to be sarcastic or cruel, it came out that way through habit, which he’d originally developed as a defense against the verbal barbs of his father. Now, it was just a habitual mode of speech, one which he had not had occasion to break until, well, until now.

He looked around at the others in their fellowship. Gilbereth was probably still mad at him, he supposed, not that he blamed him. Reyn’s tongue had earned him more enemies, or at least made him some ‘unfriends’ if they weren’t precisely enemies, than had his temper, though that was considerable. He tried to think of a way to make up with the younger elf, but couldn’t think of any way to approach him without appearing to look down on him, which after all would make the whole point of approaching him moot. This was not going to be easy.

He thought back on the attack in which they’d lost Airelome. It was horrible, dying that way, without even a decent burial. That was after all why he’d left his flet to begin with, though now, being alone in his flet was looking more and more attractive, spiders or no spiders. N.asty things. It made him furious to think of them climbing all over the platform he’d built with such care, but that was probably what they were doing, if they were in that area. Even, he shuddered, nesting in it, for it was just the sort of thing a house-spider would like, if the house-spider just happened to be larger than a horse, anyway.

Something else about that attack bothered him. It seemed too coincidental that the spiders should be there, just when the elves found signs of orcs. And indeed, hadn’t there been orcs among the foes? He couldn’t quite remember, having been rather busy at the time. He did recall seeing more than one two-legged corpse, though the elves had only lost Airelome. Orcs then. Well, that was one more reason to make up with Gilbereth. It would be very bad to be fighting at each others backs and be angry with each other. That sort of thing had led to more defeats than the enemies. At least, so said Reynion’s father.

Dash it all, thought Reyn. I keep coming back to the need to make up with that fop, and I can’t for the life of me imagine how. I suppose I’ll have to do something nice for him, but what can I do for him out here in the forest? I can’t exactly buy him a new outfit. Well, surely someone had a spare bow, and Gilbereth hadn’t one, not that Reyn had seen anyway. And surely…hello, what was this?

“—and he’d managed to blind the thing until I arrived and helped him with it. Clever way to use a rapier—”

So, Gilbereth had used his sword on a spider, unless there was some other male elf with a rapier about. Well, that took a great deal of bravery, if it wasn’t very sensible. Though what else Gilbereth could do without a bow or throwing knives, neither of which did Gilbereth have, as far as Reyn could tell, was rather a short list; throw rocks, and…throw rocks, and he could…throw rocks. Too short a list.

So, tomorrow he’d offer to teach Gilbereth the bow. Now, he could really rest, though perhaps not sleep.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:01 AM   #37
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

“Ceros, I think we should stay in groups, no-one should be on their own” said Taurëwen. A very good idea thought The Younger to herself.

Arië could not begin to believe what she was hearing. Reyn, she thought to be of decent nature, but so was Glibereth. Being young was no so much of a binding, Arië too knew how that felt. People thought you naïve at times, her father showed her that often. Her mother had always come around for her, and for that she was thankful.

Still, being young was no excuse for Reyn to put Gilbereth down, he had other assets as well, for instance, in court he dressed better than any of the other elves by far, and (she supposed) was good with his sword, or Ceros would not let him come along.

It was Ihwesta who stood up for him, and in good time to. Ihwesta was always like that, taking some under her wing, she had done so with Arië, and taught her most she knew about tracking. Glibereth was to join Ihwesta and herself.

A way along the woods, Ihwesta crouched low to the ground. Arië stood with her bow by her side. Ihwesta was still crouched low before shooting up and culling an orc. I had not heard that coming. thought the elf wide eyed.

But she had heard something else. A giant spider emerged from the undergrowth. Arië edged back from the emerging figure. It was the orcs the spiders were after. And after Ceros gave the order to seek out, Arië followed Ihwesta and set herself beside a large tree, seeing two orcs runing away about thirty yards in front of the spiders she aimed two arrows at them, and they fell dead to the ground not a second later.

It was then brought to her attention that, Airelómë was coming towards them. Arië had no idea of where Glibereth was, but she supopsed he was allright as he had afterall been told to follow them. Both tracker elves tried in vein to subdue him, but ot no use, he hit Ihwesta across the face who subsiquently fell to the ground. Arië was caught in surprise, it was not knew to the elves that Arië was not as strong as the others, Arië was only so strong, and it was no use in trying to detain Airelómë with his superior strength, and he found it rather easy to tear from her grasp.

“He’s gone mad!” said Arië in terrified awe. “Come on Ihw—ooh—are you alright?” she said, seeing the welt across her face. That was going to leave a mark for a while. Ihwesta nodded and Arië was off in search of him again. What came next was no sight that Arië wished to see again, though she doubted it greatly that she would be granted her wish.

Arië had perched herself into a tree above him in time to see him killed. She had fitted two arrows to her bowstring. Foul creatures! how dare they set foot into our wood.the anger drove her. She shot the spider, arterial spray from their elf friends body reached her tunic, and Ihwesta had gone in under. She could not see what Ihwesta was up to.

“They do travel in packs,” said Arië somberly, leaping down from her place. It was a thought that had played on her mind also. “We have to hurry!” said Ihwesta.
“But Aireló—” began the Younger. Ihwesta paused then turned, shaking her head slowly.
“We can’t touch him Arië. It’s safest. I’m sorry.” Arië couldnt believe this either. But try as she might, she too knew that touching him was dangerous. Together they tried to find their companions, tears welling in Arië's eyes.

Telling Ceros was the worst part, it felt to Arië at least that she had failed him in some way, and she did not wish to loose the respect of Ceros. The company made their way back to camp, and Arië sat alone shivering, not from any cold but from the shock of seeing an elf die. An immortal who will never see the lands...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #38
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Ceros sheathed his knives as Gilbereth thanked him for the help he had given him. Ceros nodded but was too shocked at what they had discovered to reply. Instead he circled the now dead spider, looking at it with disgust. As he drew near to its head, its eyes glowered at him, and two long white fangs protruded from its foul mouth. A black substance leaked from its side, and from its mouth, probably poison of some sort. As he knelt down to inspect it he felt Gilbereth’s hand touch his shoulder.

“We should be getting back, see if they have found Airelómë.” Ceros agreed and Gilbereth followed as he lead the way. They meet up with the rest of the company at camp, but his eyes did not meet a happy sight. The others were covered with blood, like he and Gilbereth and Ihwesta had received a welt on her face.

“What happened?!” he demanded. His eyes fixed upon the bleeding mark upon Ihwesta’s face.

“Airelómë’s dead,” she said hoarsely. “Spider’s work.”

“Where is he?” asked Ceros. “Where is his body?”

“Underneath the spider’s that hath killed him. The poison runs through his useless blood Ceros. It would be unwise to touch him. We cannot bury him.” Ceros’ heart wept for Airelómë for he had been a good, brave elf and now he was even denied a decent burial. Ihwesta now wept, and he did not blame her. He could see the sadness in her and Arië’s eyes. And so he comforted her . So as he sat with her by the fire side her thought of what had happened, it had been what? Four days into their trip and already and elf had died at the hands of an enemy that his people were denying existed only a few moths ago. Although this was a sad occasion, Ceros felt that he had been proved right, there was something out there and some how he knew that this was no the worst of it.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:22 AM   #39
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Taurëwen had went with Reynion to search by the injured tree's as he walked past her she looked on him trying to figure from whence His harsh words to Gilbereth had come, but she said nothing and followed him silently. She kept her bow readied as did Reynion , and took in their surrounding as they went. just before the clearing both elves stopped , Reynion signalled for her to fall into the shadows, by now she to could here the wild screams and shouts coming from ahead, "Orcs" she hissed under her breath , She levelled her bow ready to shoot the foul creatures when they came within range. 'of course' she scolded herself 'It was they, that defiled the trees, how could I forget what my brother and father had told me of these abominations.'

Four orcs rushed through the trees, Taurëwen immediately let loose her arrow and quickly in one fluid motion pulled a fresh arrow from her quiver, nocked it and fired, Her first shot had taken down the first orc and her second shot the third through a gap in the shoulder of its black armour, at the same time as another arrow Rynion's, it struck the creature through the throat. It made a gurgling sound as it fell clutching at the green flights of the arrow in its neck, Rynion had already dispensed of the second and The both renocked their bow's, but before they could fire the ground shook unsteadying them for a second then the monstrous eight legged beast crash through the trees and grabbed the screaming orc in its great maws.

Taurëwen's green eyes widened at the sight before her and her bow hand faltered slightly, "It's Eyes" she heard Reynion scream at her. She immediately levelled her bow and fired at the creatures many eyes, the creature she had though only legend, made a loud hissing sound and headed straight for her, she kept her nerve, firing arrow after arrow that the spiders massive head, trusting that Reynion had a plan. "Reynion!" she cried throwing down her bow and drawing her sword, the creature was now to close for her bow to be effective, "Reynion!" she called again anxiously. The spider could on longer see her clearly but her cry had alerted it to her position and as it raised its front legs and opened its great maw, Taurëwen feared that this would be her end.

"Now! Move!" she heard Reynion cry as he rushed under the great beast and pushed his sword into its soft underbelly, Reynion rolled out of the way just in time as the creature fell, Taurëwen then with all the might she could muster drove her sword through the things huge head and with what Taurëwen could only described as a death wrenching scream the creature finally died.

"do not touch it" she warned as she saw Reynion approach the dead monster, "If the legends are true then its great bulbous sac holds its poison" Reynion then held out his sword and examined the sticky black/green fluid that adhered to it, he screwed up his face in disgust and wiped his sword clean on a dead orcs body.

After making sure there was no other enemies about they made their way silently back to camp, they arrived back just afore Ceros and Gilbereth, at the sight of Gilbereth she looked to Reynion, the guarded elf to looked in Gilbereths direction and something in his grey eyes told he that he regretted his harsh words, though she though him to proud to admit it. 'pride the bane of all' she chuckled to herself.

"What happened!" she heard Ceros's voice cut above the others, as she turned she too saw the welt on the trackers face, she instantly searched her pack for the right mixture that would take down the swelling and stop the bleeding, as she mixed the components in her pestle, she listened to Ceros and Ihwesta's words.

Tears streamed down her face as she learnt of the fate of Airelóme but she kept to her task, 'had this been my brothers fate also', she thought sadly to herself. With the mixture now ready she wiped the tears from her eyes and walked slowly to were Ihwesta sat, nodding to Ceros and Arie as she passed, "Here" she said softly examining with welt closer, "This will help with the swelling" she continued. "It is fine" the young bowers daughter answered defiantly turning her head her still tear-filled eyes sad and mournful almost broke Taurewens heart, " please" she urged softly, slowly the younger elf turned her head and let Taurëwen administer her remedy.

Ihwesta flinched slightly as she cleaned the wound with salted water, then relaxed when she gently added the cooling mixture, the mixture was sweet smelling and smooth and left but a green tinge to where it was applied, "It should not scar" she said thoughtfully, even though she knew the elf woman would have guessed as much. She picked up her things and made to leave the younger elf to her grieve, when she felt an hand on her arm. "Thank you" Ihwesta said wiping the tears from her dark blue eyes, Taurëwen nodded, realising that she thank her not for the healing but for not asking more of Airelomes death, the young bowers daughter knew that Taurëwen as a healer would likely know of the effects of the spiders poisons.

Taurëwen then went about the company checking that no one else was hurt, she was relieved to see that only Ihwesta was hurt and that was but a minor injury. after packing away her things she gathered some fallen branches to whittle into shafts to replenish her spent arrows, staying within the confines of the camp, keeping her own advice. She then sat by the fire between Ainemetion and Gilbereth and silently whittled the Branches into straight shafts.

It wasn't long before she felt someone beside her watching her work, she inclined her head and found herself looking straight into the soft blue-gray eyes of Gilbereth, he tensed slightly at her gaze, she smiled and he relaxed instantly. "Would you like to try?" she asked indicating the knife and the half whittled shaft in her hands, his eye's widened in mild surprise, "I don't think ...." he began, "Nonsense, it's easy" she interrupted pleasantly as she pressed the knife and branch into his hands.
The deer handled knife sat comfortably in his right hand, but he looked nervously at the half whittled branch in his left, awaiting her instruction. "Follow the grain and let the wood be your guide," she whispered softly as she put one hand round his and the handle of the knife and used the other to help him steady the branch , she closed her eyes and lovingly ran the blade down the length of the branch, in one fluid stroke, again and again she repeated the strokes slowly turning the branch in their hands. "see!" she smiled opening her eyes and looking down at the straight shaft that sat in their hands. She then lifted one of the silver arrow heads and showed him how to bind it to the shaft.

He watched intently as she showed him how to cut the feathers into flights and how to attach them to the other end of the shaft, he then handed her back her knife and took out a narrow bladed dagger of his own, He picked up a fresh branch and began to whittle it down for himself.

Taurëwen watched Gilbereth work the wood in his hands, the young noble seemed to take a great pride in his work, She nodded her approval as he held a finished arrow in his hand, as Gilbereth picked up another branch, she thought about the fact that he had no bow, it was then that she remembered the large branch that she and Reynion had brought to Ceros.

As she looked around the camp she saw the branch at Eurwen's feet she walked over and smiled at the elven woman, as she gently picked up the branch and took it back to her seat, the large branch would make an average sized bow, crude though it would be. Her hands worked lovingly carving the bow shape, as she worked she thought of those who had been lost to the growing shadows. Without realising it she had carved the image of the trees that had been damaged into either end of the bow, majestic and proud as they were before their marring. she then searched in her pack for the spare bow strings she carried.

After stringing the bow she picked up an arrow and nocked it to make sure they would fit, it felt comfortable in her hands almost as if the wood itself approved of her work. The bow was only waist high, but sturdy and durable. She turned back to Gilbereth and looked at him trying to find something unique to him to add to the bow, her eyes fell across the crest on his buckler, she delicately carved the hand bearing a branch, then underneath it she carved the sword bearing the delicate elven script " Do not draw me without reason, do not sheath me without honour." This carving sat just below the tree at the top end of the bow and at the bottom she carved the Elven runes of friendship and protection and also the elven words *"Nailya pilind rip linta'ar anwa." then down the length of the bow she carved the leaf pattern that she had seen on his court finery, the few times she had ventured to the courts of their realm.

Once finished she took out a small pouch of green powder and mixed it with a little water , she then dipped her knife point into the green liquid and traced the tip around the intricate carvings. The design on the bow now stood out a vibrant green against the slivery grey of the wood. She wiped the knife clean on her green skirts and slipped it back into its sheath.

She smiled approvingly as she turned back to Gilbereth, the young elven noble had managed to whittle and fletch fifteen arrows for himself, some of them could have been better, but this was his first attempt she reminded herself. "Is this enough" he asked uncertainly, "Yes, I think so" she smiled. She noticed Gilbereth staring at the bow in her hands, "Do you like it" she asked holding it out for him to examine, "It is wonderful " he replied taking it from her, and examining the design, his eyes widened as they fell on the crest at the top end of the bow, "this is the crest of my house!" he exclaimed.

"Only fitting for a bow belonging to one of that house" she chuckled lightly.

"for me!" he exclaimed, His thanks shining on his elven face.

"It is crude by elven standards and I do not have any wax with which to add as a protective finish," she replied frowning slightly.

"Do not frown my lady, I can only but hope that I can learn to use it with as much skill as the hand that made it" he smiled genuinely.

"for that you will require the aid of another for my bow is used only to stop those who would think to destroy or mar our woodland realm," she told him, not at all abashed at her words.

"I understand and would not trouble you further, Ihwesta has offered to teach me" he replied.
"yes, I think the bowers daughter would make an excellent teacher," she smiled back at him, "she may even have wax with which to finish the bow and maybe even something with which to make a quiver for your arrows." she told him.

Taurëwen and Gilbereth talked together for sometime, he told her tales from the courts and she spoke of the simple pleasures of the woods surrounding their home, others joining the conversation when they had something to add or to object.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-26-2003, 09:29 PM   #40
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ihwesta avoided the rest as they sat around the fire that night, taking time to recover from the unexpected attack by creatures they hadn’t even believed to exist. She had reluctantly let Taurëwen tend to the welt on the left side of her face that was healing visibly. Only Arië knew the cause of the welt. None other had asked, probably assuming it had come from a spider’s leg in the beast’s rough defense.

Ihwesta looked around for the other tracker and was surprised to see her sitting beside her, watching earnestly.

“Are you going to be alright Ihwesta?” she asked sincerely. Ihwesta tried to offer a comforting smile but succeeded only in making her welt sear with pain. Arië didn’t try to help. Ihwesta’s strong nature wouldn’t allow it so she didn’t have a go. Instead she shifted her gaze into the fire as it cracked its last log, the embers glowing against the charred wood.

“How about you?”

“I’m alright. Airelómë didn’t slap me—” she began grimly but Ihwesta laid a hand on her shoulder.

“I hate to wonder what made him,” she stammered “crazy, but I can only think... Should we—”

“No!” Arië half-shouted turning the heads of the nearest elves. “No,” she repeated quietly. “Not yet. Don’t even breathe a word to anyone else. I think it is best for Airelómë’s spirit it’s kept between the two of us.” Ihwesta consented and leaned back against the spruce she rested besides willing her mind to go blank and relax. It was then she felt a tap on her shoulder. Opening her eyes she turned her head enough to see whom it was: Reynion.

“Hello,” he said timidly. Ihwesta smiled inwardly, determined to keep her wound still. She sat back against the tree again, closed her eyes and didn’t speak. “Look here, I didn’t want our harsh words back there to be the last between us. It would appear as though this journey is taking some unpleasant and unexpected turns.” Ihwesta agreed privately as he continued. “Well, this might help to calm your nerves from the welt.” Her eyes opened completely and looked insensitively at the herb in his outstretched hand.

“What would I do with—” she stopped as his other hand produced a small pipe. She grabbed both and held them in her fists that she covered with the flap of her bag so that the others might not see. “Where did you get that!” she whispered excitedly speaking of the pipe.

It was common knowledge that reputable elves didn’t smoke the pipes of men. Reynion didn’t tell her how he came into possession of such an object but leased them to her as long as she promised to return them without the others knowing of them.

"Um, just one more little thing, Ihwesta," Reynion added. "I don't want to be enemies with anyone in our group and, well, I know that you said that you'd teach Gilbereth, but I want to try to make it up to him for talking down to him. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to offer to teach him and give him the chance to refuse before you try." Ihwesta looked up at the elf and gave a half-smile so that her face wouldn’t hurt too bad; it still stung a little.

“You have a good heart Reynion. Let’s hope you have good luck too!” Now in better spirits, Ihwesta moved into the shadows where the firelight didn’t reach and sat with her pipe, letting the essence of the herb sedate her cluttered mind. Thankfully, the herb gave off no detectable smell so she would be able to sit unnoticed for a while in peace.

When it was finished, she emerged from her seat and joined the rest of the elves who had gathered closely together and were engaged in light conversation: something that proved they were becoming close.

“Where were you Ihwesta?” asked Arië harmlessly.

“Just off,” she replied. The matter was not pursued. Then Ceros’ eyes brightened and he looked towards his friend’s younger sister.

“Dance for us,” he said softly. The tracker started to protest but then decided she was in a good enough mood. Ihwesta removed her boots so that she was bare foot and over her tight forest-pants, she donned the only skirt she had brought. Finally she let her hair down and looked the part of any elven dancer. The only difference was the calm expression upon her face where as the common dancers would be categorically sultry and beautiful. Ihwesta was exceptionally attractive but it was not her renowned quality.

The reason the noble elves of the palace had chosen her entertainment over that of the more stunning maidens was because her movements were reputable and her ballads were edifying. The parties where she was employed were always attended by the elves of highest stature. She did her father much credit as she was often told. No one would guess her alter ego was a tenacious tracker who had just indulged in the tranquilizing pleasures of their opposite race.

From within her pack she withdrew a diminutive harp of elegant make. Along the sides were emblazoned designs that could not be found in any book or tapestry but designs that described the magic of music that would come forth from the strings whence plucked by the daintiest of fingers.

As the dance began so did the music.

The swirl of her skirt revealed the golden threads embedded in the folds of her uniform. Shadows that one would have guessed would darken her dance helped to uncover the mysterious elements that gave the performer’s silhouette a glowing condition. The music seemed to manipulate the sounds of the night and even the strengthening wind added to the song…

There was once a time for laughing
When the clouds came down to play
And at night the comets stopped awhile
Now they just zoom on their way

Where ponies grazed in fields of green
And silver fish would swim upstream
Oh yes the painted creatures of the earth
Entered that circle on their day of birth
Without a warning promise
They are all around us!

And the dance is danced
While the song is sung
Do you even remember
When it was begun

As the skirt of flora swirls
And the harp of fauna plays
Sit back awhile to think upon
The merriest of days...

I see the memories of Time
As it filters through my fingers
I wish it’d stop and talk awhile
In my parlor would it linger

The nests of the birds reside
In the tallest trees outside
While the homes of mice and mole
Are in an underground hole

Nothing’s changing yet
Don’t you dare forget

And the dance is danced
While the song is sung
Do you even remember
When it was begun

As the skirt of flora swirls
And the harp of fauna plays
Sit back awhile to think upon
The merriest of days...

“And as the last notes of the last chord is strummed,” whispered Ihwesta, dancing fluidly, releasing the power her music seemed to have over the earth. “The breeze settles back into its nook and the forest creatures nestled back into their crannies, ready for night’s diamond studded velvet blanket to tuck them in now that its lullaby was through.”

When the dance had ended at last, Ihwesta’s eyes had been looking towards the ground. Now as she lifted her chin so that the dying embers of the fire shone upon her tranquil face, those who would have been looking for them would see the tear paths from the corners of her eyes down her cheek. The tears were not mournful but relaxing. Would it were that the elf would be given shelter in her own home tonight, one would see her sitting upon the sill of her classic arched window, playing the song again upon her harp as if the stars themselves had asked to hear it one last time.

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]