The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #801
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Another sign...

...when some sort of street band (rap? It's not even rap, it's some sort of... what's that? Whatever it is, it's terrible) starts to play in front of your house and you go to the window and shout: "Shut up! I can't hear the Downs!"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #802
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Haha! Legate, that sure is a sign that your are indeed addicted to the Downs. Your hearing has developed to hearing the Wight of the Downs' voice pretty quickly. I, at the moment, am practising smelling the Downs.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #803
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
You almost think you're not going to enjoy the mayday (no school) since you know you can't be around in the 'downs on its birthday...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 AM   #804
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you should be doing an essay, you spend two or three hours going through old threads in Mirth.

Why won't this essay do itself?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #805
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
You almost think you're not going to enjoy the mayday (no school) since you know you can't be around in the 'downs on its birthday...
This is just an excuse...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #806
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When you should be either writing up the information needed to gain an accreditation or revising and instead you spend your time reading through old werewolf threads, remembering the good old days when you actually had time to take part in them!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #807
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You check User CP three times as often as new posts to your threads. C'mon guys, am I the only one without a life?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #808
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
You check User CP three times as often as new posts to your threads. C'mon guys, am I the only one without a life?
Alright, so I do that, too.

--

You know other user's habits - what times they get on, how many times a day, and what threads they post on at what times of day...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #809
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Alright, so I do that, too.

--

You know other user's habits - what times they get on, how many times a day, and what threads they post on at what times of day...
Out of nosyness (I am famed for it) which Downers habits do you know?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #810
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
You log on at 7am, during class, at lunchtime, after school and before you go to bed, only to find there are only like four new posts because you live in Australia. This happens too darn often!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #811
Volo

When you start writing "night" and "day" with capital letters outside WW games.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #812
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
When you start writing "night" and "day" with capital letters outside WW games.
Yup! I have to proofread my work these days just in case I've accidentally done it in an essay. And my PMs are always full of such mistakes.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM   #813
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Too bad, Volo and Kath, I do that too...

Another similar sign is that when someone or somethign says "right, left" I instantly think of Ritun and Lefun.... (This even happened yesterday when I wanted to listen to music on my mp3-player and I saw the letters L and R on the earplugs!)
Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #814
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Another sign, when you are downloading something and there's written "Choose the download: for PC/for Mac"... (do I have to continue? )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #815
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
"Choose the download: for PC/for Mac"... (do I have to continue? )
Um...while I had the same thought...it's understandable in my case.
You're just a lost cause!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #816
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Um...while I had the same thought...it's understandable in my case.
You're just a lost cause!
Well, I actually thought it should be you to post it here... but since it just happened to me now, I had to mention it (and to explain, I'm not that lost - the main point was that on the page, there was black background and in the case of the downloadable links the letters were shiny yellow and underlined - it was obvious!)
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #817
Volo

When bored during class you fill your notebook with names of Downers in different fonts. Especially Rune, because we had one lesson of Danish during a Swedish lesson.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #818
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When you realise that the Finnish national poet is called Runeberg and are amused by it the whole morning...

Old 05-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #819
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I am glad that I am in the thoughts of the Finnish Downers. . . At least I hope it is a good thing.

btw I ran into two guys from the Finnish airforce the other day and one of them saw it as his finest task to inform me about the winter war, anyways they claimed they did not know you, but I don't belive them!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #820
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Palantir-Green

Nope lmp, I seem to be doing that far too often as well...
Every 5 minutes or so I feel the need to make sure that I haven't got any new reputation, and I still see the same messages...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #821
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
You know that, very deep in your decayed but actively beating heart, you're still addicted to the Downs when you continue howling at the Full Moon for the sake of tradition.

Or maybe that's a sign of how much you miss playing Werewolf.

Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #822
Volo

There was a picture of Gandhi as the Superman in the newspaper, now I'll always see Gil-Galad as Gandhi...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #823
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

You know you are addicted to BD when you see a Greek sentence transcribed into latin font and seeing the words: einai he kath... the picture of Mulder&Scully pops up in your head.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #824
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
You know you are addicted to BD when you see a Greek sentence transcribed into latin font and seeing the words: einai he kath... the picture of Mulder&Scully pops up in your head.
Good to know I'm so wedged in your subconscious!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #825
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs are when you should read the exams of your students and you hang around the BD the whole evening and even start a LiveJournal -stuff just to avoid the papers...

I mean this is pathetic.

Or is it a sign of not wishing to do your work?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #826
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I have to ask, Nogrod. . .when you where in Turky, did you go online just to check The Downs?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #827
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

When you start to consider yourself more intelligent, stronger at writing and generally better than your (poor mis-deluded, boring) peers because of the older, wittier more eloquent 'Downers you converse with.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #828
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You know you are addicted to the BD when:

-You are writing your opinions about the Harry Potter character Luna Lovegood, and misspell her name as Lhuna (I'm sure fellow LJers are quite aware of my mistake... )

-You (once again) are reading Harry Potter and when you see the mention of a text called Advanced Rune Translation, you think to yourself, "Hmm...I could use one of those..."

-Everytime you drive by a store called Jay's Pawn Shop, you can't help but think of tgwbs

-You explain to your manager of the movie theatre you work at the entire Hobbit film situation and rumours you've heard, all based on what you've read in the BD movie forum..
Old 07-18-2007, 03:50 AM   #829
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm... A pawn shop, eh? Cursed homophones!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #830
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I love you, Brinn!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #831
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I am not addicted to the Barrow Downs. I know when enough is enough. No one can ever say I don't know when to stop. I can quit anytime I want to. Like now. See? I stopped. I told you. It's easy. I merely make a mental note and quit. It's just like when I quit smoking cigarettes. Wait...there's a pack and an ashtray on my desk. Hmmm...isn't that strange?

*The Dark Elf taps his fingers nervously*

Yes...stopped. Completely.

*The Dark Elf breaks into a sweat*

No problem. No problem at all. Never was a problem.

*The Dark Elf faints*
Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #832
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post

-You (once again) are reading Harry Potter and when you see the mention of a text called Advanced Rune Translation, you think to yourself, "Hmm...I could use one of those..."

I always think of our own Rune, one Son of Bjarne! Not only when reading Harry Potter, either!

How does a guy come by such a cool name?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #833
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

When you make it, over Google, your homepage!

I'm sure this will come back to bite me somehow...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #834
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Top ten (false) signs you're addicted to WW

Me: *does dry runs for ww-game*
Little sister: "WHAT are you doing? Playing ww alone with cards? Hanni, that is quite serious. It seems someone's quite addicted to werewolf, oh god."

But I swear it was just for the sake of my game that will take place sometime relatively soon in future!

(Yet one can maybe draw one's own conclusions from the fact that I had to do at least seven dry-runs and lived them like a real ww-game: "Nooooooo! The seer can't be killed now!" "How wicked!" "Why can't you villagers lynch a wolf?" "Hahaha, wolves killed the cobbler!" "Quite stupid of you, ranger, to protect a wolf...")
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #835
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I was taking a bus to my friend's summer place and on the way I saw a sign which said

LOMMILA
GLOMS

Evidently there is a place in Finland that is called Lommila (-la or -lä is a very common ending for a name of a place) and its Swedish name is Gloms. This, of course, doesn't mean an addicton, but instantly thinking of the name "Lommy" when seeing this probably does...
Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #836
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I was taking a bus to my friend's summer place and on the way I saw a sign which said

LOMMILA
GLOMS

Evidently there is a place in Finland that is called Lommila (-la or -lä is a very common ending for a name of a place) and its Swedish name is Gloms. This, of course, doesn't mean an addicton, but instantly thinking of the name "Lommy" when seeing this probably does...
Well, I don't think there is anything surprising on thinking of the name "Lommy" when seeing that... unless for a Finlander it should on first sight signify something else... but if I saw something like that, I think that's clear...

Wait... it is a sign of addiction... (Terrible. The worst sign of addiction is if you think - or convince yourself to think - that something is NOT a sign of addiction.)

And Gloms, well, I don't know how about you, but when I saw it here I thought immediately of Gollum... is THAT a sign?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #837
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, I don't think there is anything surprising on thinking of the name "Lommy" when seeing that... unless for a Finlander it should on first sight signify something else... but if I saw something like that, I think that's clear...
As far as I know, lommi or anything close to it doesn't mean anything in Finnish.

Quote:
Wait... it is a sign of addiction... (Terrible. The worst sign of addiction is if you think - or convince yourself to think - that something is NOT a sign of addiction.)
Haha, just see the post above the Lommila-post...

Quote:
And Gloms, well, I don't know how about you, but when I saw it here I thought immediately of Gollum... is THAT a sign?
Well, it definitely sounds Gollum-ish or goblin-like... Hopefully that is not supposed to be some sort of description of my character or nature....
Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #838
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you get slightly peeved when a client reference code is B088 because you know that it should be the Laconic Loreman.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #839
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra Greenleaf View Post
wow- 100% on brinniel's and about 80% on manardariel's!

on the other hand a lot of you are much worse (or better!) and i'm not sure if i'm happy or not. i'm kind of used to being known as a lotr freak, and here i'm nothing! not even a ghost prince!

here's probably a unique one:
#you look through your desktop calender and write a quote matching the picture in your diary everyday!#

#you lie in bed at night planning scenarios/future posts for RPGs or trying to get the tricky quiz question#

#the day before your mock exams start you sit in front of your computer with a growing realisation that, yes, you really ARE addicted to the BD!#

#you know that the day before your actual exam you will still be checking whats going on, even though you know you need the grades to get to uni. why can't they do lotr studies, thats what i want to know?#

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
MY GOSH! YOURE LIKE ME! ...and people call me an LOTR freak.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #840
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

When your English homework is to write a letter to the editor, the place you go to check how it is done is The Barrow-Downs Newspaper -thread...