The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
Fyara
Pile O'Bones

Fyara has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Fyara Send a message via AIM to Fyara
Sting Elvish- How many people can speak or are learning to speak elvish?

Personally i just started to speak and write it but i will eventually get the hang of it. Once i do get the hang of it oh boy will i ever have fun talking to people.

Elen sila lumenn omentilmo
Old 10-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will learn eventually, although I'm more interested in the other languages. I saw a book today that teaches you elvish, so I may invest in that and get started.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

I found a book that teaches Elvish, which I have been looking for FOREVER, but it was $16 and I only had $10 on me at the time. I'm sure it will be gone the next time I go back to the bookstore.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm learning Elvish as well. Sindarin, to be more specific.

What's the title of the book you guys saw? I'll have to keep an eye out for it... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Where do you learn it? And the rumor I've heard is that there is the current version, which is the movie and such, and then there's the real Tolkien version.

I'd be interested in picking up a few real phrases, too, but I'd rather concentrate on Spanish for my real language to learn. Adios! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm learning three Middle Earth languages at once...Quenya, Sindarin, Black Speech/Orkish.

This is the site I use the most.

ardalambion.com
Old 10-24-2003, 08:45 AM   #7
lady evenstar
Pile O'Bones

lady evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm learning to speak Quenya and Sindarin. I know how to write in Tengwar off by heart. I know the whole alphabet. I also did see a book in Borders on all 14 languages but it was $16 so I couldn't get it. I was mad.
lady evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:56 AM   #8
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I'm working with Quenya lessons from Ardalambion. When I downloaded them I looked some of the exercises and I didn't believe that I could ever say something like :"the woman is watching the greatest ship" in Quenya. The feeling is so amazing when you actually can!
Old 10-24-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I think some of you may be referring to Ruth Noel's paperback book which is $16 and says it is a guide to all 14 of Tolkien's languages.

I don't speak elvish and am not trying to learn, but I have heard many folk say that this book is not reliable. You are better off going to the Ardalmabion web site. So if you haven't bought it, I would hold off.

sharon
Old 10-24-2003, 11:08 AM   #10
Fyara
Pile O'Bones

Fyara has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Fyara Send a message via AIM to Fyara
Sting

kool i gotta order me one of those:P
Old 10-24-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Quote:
I'd be interested in picking up a few real phrases, too, but I'd rather concentrate on Spanish for my real language to learn. Adios!
Same here. I really need to work on my Spanish more, so I can't really devote too much time to learning Elvish, but I would love to learn a little bit. Would ardalambion be the best place to learn? I know some of the Elvish from the movies, and a few other words, but not much. And where do y'all find books to teach you? Where would I look for those at?
Arwen
Old 10-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #12
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I want to learn the language but i can never seem to get round to it. Hopefully i will start soon though.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm taking lessons at Council of Elrond They're really fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] They even have homework, hand-corrected by the people who run the site. *huggles site* I highly reccomend it.

I've heard that Ardalambion is a very good site, but I haven't been there myself, as of yet.

I've also heard that Ruth Noel's book isn't a good one... Apparently he makes up a lot of things, and some stuff is totallly *not* Tolkien's Elvish...
Old 10-25-2003, 10:02 AM   #14
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too would recommend the Ardalambion site. It deals with things that are pure Tolkien, which in my opinion is quite important if you actually want to learn the languages of Middle Earth. Elvish isn't a complete language, there are many words that doesn't exist in Quenya or Sindarin, and by using Ardalambion you might not get to say anything you want too, but atleast you'll be saying it correct [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Laivine ]
Old 10-25-2003, 11:51 AM   #15
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Couldn't possibly agree more Laivine [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Ardalambion is most reliable, Helge (the guy who made it) really knows what he's talking about. I'm halfway through his Quenya course, and though I'm not very good at it, I'm learning.
As to the question 'How many people can speak or are learning to speak elvish?' the only answer I can think of is; more people than you'd think! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #16
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm also using the lessons atCouncil of Erond site, they have put together a good workbook.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #17
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

I am also trying to learn Sindarin, and agree that Ardalambion is one of, if not the best site around. Council of Elrond also has a list of resources, here are a couple that I have checked out:
http://www.elvish.org/gwaith
http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sindar/

The original language for these sites is not English, just to warn people.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:06 AM   #18
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I started learning Quenya at the Ardalambion website, but I found it a bit long-winded and there was a lot of sifting-through required before getting down to the actual lesson. However I will say that there is a very good Quenya-English dictionary attached to the course (although it doesn't include all the words that appear in the course itself).

I might try Council of Elrond at some point because I really want to learn Elvish...but Ardalambion is good, it's just a question of time. Personally I like my languages in small bite-sized chunks, rather than three-course meals as it were.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 AM   #19
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

As far as I can tell from my own personal experiences, the Noel book is nice for a brief introduction to the languages that Tolkien created, but as far as getting past what the different phrases in the Sil, the Tril, and the Guy in the Hill mean (the Silmarillion, the Lord of the Rings, and the Hobbit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]), it appears that Noel has never even glanced at the published Etymologies of Tolkien's works. For Sindarin, use the Council of Elrond and Ardalambion as a backup. For Quenya, there's no beating Ardalambion. As for the other languages, there's not too muchthat's been done as far as tutorials that I have seen. Don't get me wrong, though - the Noel book is a good buy and a decent read to get oneself started.
~Scott.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:23 AM   #20
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Ring

Quote:
Would ardalambion be the best place to learn?
I wuld without doubt say Adalambion!

CoE (Council of Elrond) has only 'shorthened' the lessons from Ardalambion. So, I think that Ardalambion is more 'advanced'. I'm trying to learn Quenya, and I use both of the sites..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have to say taht CoE have woorkbooks that are pretty good. IN that way you'll do lessons and you 'monitor' will correct you on your mistakes. I've learned a lot from those...Well, at least I think so. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 11:48 PM   #21
Galenondowen
Newly Deceased

Galenondowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Galenondowen
Sting

I always try to learn Elvish! And I did stumble into Ardalambion, I'm really glad for that. ^_^ So I tried learning Sindarin first, as my friend recommended, since it's easier... But I wasn't good at gramma, and as soon as I saw the long page of pure text... I felt dizzy... Well, I have high hope in the Quenya course though... But I've been really busy with my upcoming public exam, and I just can't find any time for that... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] For other Useful languages, I only know Chinese and English... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Shall I strike or shall I fall? What will be my destiny? Must I go on in despare? May I turn back with tired heart? I would not forget the pain, When my wings were torn away. Though this is the fate I have, It never is the life I chose. I hate lingering in this world, Yet here I am, And will be so.
Galenondowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #22
Whynethelyn

Sting

Quel amrun. Amin esse Whynethelyn. (but you all can call me Whyn or Whyneth)

I'm learning Quenya from this really cool website. It's free and all you have to do is download the lessons. They are easy to understand and they give you a quiz at the end of each lesson. There are 20 lessons in all. It takes a long time, but they teach you all kinds of things including: where to place stress marks, pronunciation, how to take apart and decode words, and a lot more. I've just finished lesson 1 and it was really great. The website is here...
Quenya Course
Old 10-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #23
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'v tried to learn elvish but I'm having a hard time finding a good source. I have a running list of good and bad sights (more bad than good). Every time I go on a sight to find more info I find out it's bad. I have a book about all the languages but have heard it's unreliable. Also,I can't seem to find time. Plus I'm allready studying German. My advice is to really be carefull about what you find on the net. Many sights are not genuine Tolkien.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #24
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Whyn, thanks for putting up the link! It looks good!

Elusive Spirit, does your sig say, 'But why is the Rum gone?' in German? I'm just guessing, and wondered if it meant that.
Arwen

EDIT: YAY!!!! I've made 500 posts!!!!!!!

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen1858 ]
Old 10-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #25
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i am learning from ardalambion and i really like it. i am on about lesson 6 i htink. i learnt more grammar from those 6 lessons than from 13 years of english, french, german and latin lessons [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #26
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I wouldn't really recommend Ruth Noel's book because of a few discrepancies in her Quenya grammar. I know that normally such a slight should be overlooked, but I would much rather trust the Ardalambion site, where I completed all the lessons. Of course, that was a few months ago, so now I forgot everything and have to go back and do them all over again.

As to the discrepancies in Noel's book, they have to do with the aorist tense and the past tense in Quenya. Ardalambion uses the most recently published information about Tolkien's languages, and Helge updates his lessons as often as he gets new information on Quenya.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:23 AM   #27
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd love to learn Sindarin, and I do know a few phrases here and there, but I am studying A Level German and GCSE Spanish at school, and I really need to concentrate on then. I only started Spanish in September, but I am so rubbish it's untrue. And I just took a look at the Ardalambion website, and that block of text made me feel a bit apprehensive. I think I'll stick to learning simple phrases at the moment. Maybe I'll learn properly when I have more time on my hands...

Changing the subject slightly, there are some websites out there that you should watch out for if you want to learn 'real' elvish. Some are listed on the councilofelrond.com as ones that teach 'incorrect elvish'. I believe www.grey-company.org is one. Take a look at the list here.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 11-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #28
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Elizabeth Elindel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ruth Noel's book is OK, if you want something short to glance at. It's not that big, nor is it enough to keep you busy for some time. :-) In my guess... that's what I thought. I'm learning - or I was. I'm starting up again, I think. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #29
Mantauriel
Newly Deceased

Mantauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Fluent Elvish speaker here! Mae Governen to all! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Elladan and Elrohir stared at Rumil, Haldir, and Orophin before them. Legolas had a blank stare to all. "See the creature? Ready to kill us?" Figwit sighed and Aragorn pointed to the object Legolas was reffering to.

"That's a rock."
Mantauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:28 PM   #30
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I can't speak a bit of elvish here, but I do congradulate anyone who can. I am terrible at learning languages so I don't think I'll ever give it a try.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:48 AM   #31
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hi! I'm a learning/learned Quenya speaker, although my Sindarin leaves much to be desired. I can act very knowledgable, though, around uneducated ones

Quetal Quenya?
Quetan Quenya!
Inyë Tar-Eldar!
Atarinya na Finrod, ar amilinya na Amarië i Vanyar, Valinorello, mi Oiolossë! Namarië.

Yours, if you want to [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
->(I just said it above)

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #32
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only elvish I know are the words and phrases in the movies, that I have memorized.

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: ArathorofBarahir ]
Old 11-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #33
Lotessa
Pile O'Bones

Lotessa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I must confess that I do use the Grey Company Elvish, which I hear isn't true to Tolkien, but it's fun to learn. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lotessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #34
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been using councilofelrond.com's Sindarin course. It works quite well, and it's nice to get a personal response on your exercises. Also, they have a very nice Useful Phrases section. It can be found here. It's very entertaining to tell your enemies to go kiss an orc in Sindarin, and then watch them stare at you in confusion.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #35
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Just wondering, is there anything wrong with the Sindarin grammar in the Ruth Noel book? That is what I am studying now.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #36
Neneithel

Sting

The Ruth Noel book is very out of date and a lot of assumptions about grammar she used in it have been proven false by Tolkien's notes. Council of Elrond at http://www.councilofelrond.com/ is the best place to learn Sindarin.

Neneithel
Old 11-14-2003, 11:39 AM   #37
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Um, I can write it(more than one kind too), but I cannot speak it yet.
My friend is supposed to teach me how to speak it.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:06 PM   #38
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I'm learning Sindarin, using Ardalambion, Fellowship of the Wordsmiths, and the indicies of the Silm and UT. Council of Elrond is a very good site for getting started.

But whatever you do, DON'T USE GREY-COMPANY ELVISH!!! It is completely inaccurate, and to be avoided at all costs.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-14-2003, 03:09 PM   #39
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

if you can speak some german, www.sindarin.de is supposed to be quite good. i am studying GCSE german and i could understand it. i nthe end i decided not to study it so as not to confuse it with my Quenya...

...and the fact that i seem to find the phrase Herzlich Wilkommen inexplicably funny, ao i just sat there giggling for about 10 minutes.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:20 PM   #40
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can write in both Sindarian and Quenyan Tengwar and I'm learning how to speak Quenyan from various websites and books. http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf is a great site (i have no idea what the url is about but its called Ardalambion and it's really thorough) u can download courses from there and stuff. Oh yeah, i think u should get ur friends learning too, otherwise it will be very boring just talking to yourself or other ppl u don't know... oh i shouldn't be saying that in a forum... jk.