The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Question A question regarding Elves...

In the Trilogy, Legolas demonstrates on mulitple ocasions that Elves are at the lease "light of foot" and at best, weightless. My question is, which are they? Or is there an aspect I'm missing all together?

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Elves are definitely not "weightless" (at least not in the sense that first comes to my mind), otherwise they would be able to jump as high as they wanted or even fly. Elves are however, the most graceful and agile sentient beings upon middle earth. They aren't "weightless," they just more or less have super-hero, mojo-esque moves.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it's probably an exaggeration, but I would definately go with light of foot because Legolas can walk on snow without leaving much of a footprint. I'd give you the exact quote but I gotta finish a report...
Old 12-01-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always get weight and mass confused, but I would think the terms weightless and massless could be used interchangeably here. Weightless would also imply to me, an inability to use a bow. How could you apply force to pull the bowstring without mass? Similarly, there would be no mass to leverage a sword.

But does that mean light-footed is the only alternative?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:50 AM   #5
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I think all they meant by light of foot is that he had the ability to walk quietly and softly, without disturbing the ground beneath him. All elves have this ability, being naturally athletic and graceful.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Castamir
Pile O'Bones

Castamir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course the Elves were "light of foot". Look when the Fellowship are climbing Carhadras. Legolas id able to walk on top of the snow without leaving footprints.
Castamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:39 PM   #7
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Not to be overly nitpicky, but it never says in the books elves can walk on snow. Yes, it describes that Legolas, as other elves, was agile enough to run on snow, but that is different than walking. Walking up Caradhras I am sure he had to shove through the drifts like everyone else.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:28 AM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Elves are so "in tune" with Nature, that when Nature is involved, they can do pretty much anything. For example, the much-contested issue of walking on snow. In the book, Legolas says that when you need to walk/travel through snow, you need an Elf. I think that pretty much takes care of the discussion.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

While we're on the subject of Elves and their relationship to the physical world, I would like to know about the way Elves age. I know that it is slow, but I have questions. What about children? How long is an elvish youth? Does time work differently? Are they born and then age and grow as a human would? Do they spring forth full blown? I would hate to think that their teen years lasted for centuries. All those challenges and raging hormones. Then again, maybe Elves don't get zits and pre-date jitters. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Frodo Baggins- watch out!! There is a Sméagol on this forum. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just kidding...
Quote:
Not to be overly nitpicky, but it never says in the books elves can walk on snow.
I won't concede that point without the quote from the book, but...
Quote:
Yes, it describes that Legolas, as other elves, was agile enough to run on snow, but that is different than walking. Walking up Caradhras I am sure he had to shove through the drifts like everyone else.
Well, being nitpicky myself, how can one "run on snow" without being able to "run on drifts" of snow? All a snowdrift is is unlevel snow.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #11
Eol Telemnar
Haunting Spirit

Location: At my house, on my computer (where else would I be?
Eol Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

They are light on foot. They can fall. being wheightless, they would float, or rise, or fly or something, not walk. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 01:36 AM   #12
Mungo of Bracegirdle
Pile O'Bones

Mungo of Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now, we are entering into my realm of study. But I don't think that JRRT was going to write up Laws of Physics of Ea. Something tells me that that wasn't his realm of study. If the Elves were weightless, this would imply that they had no mass. No mass means no matter. No matter means they weren't made of several organic compounds. Now we have a real problem. There are several problems. Just one example, without organic compounds, they would not be able to smell the difference between spearmint and pumpernickle bread. I'm not going to get into the specific stereochemistry or biochemistry that is involved here, just because it wouldn't be appropriate for this forum. But the fact that Elves can smell, means they have organic compounds. Organic compounds implies matter. Matter implies mass. Mass implies weight. So my answer is yes Elves have weight and when JRRT says they are lightfooted, well, he means just that! Hope you have enjoyed your lesson in chemistry and physics today!

Cheers,
Mungo
Yet the lies that Melkor...sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and connot be destroyed, and ever and annon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit unto the latest days.
Mungo of Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:21 AM   #13
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Look at a human anatomy book and you know _what_ compounds Elves are made from [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote