The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
Sting conflict extended edition vs. cinema version!

as someone wrote on the wish list "Merry and Pippin to be noticeably taller than Frodo and Sam"<P>How many of us noticed that all four Hobbits are the same height? <P>It took me a few seconds to realize that this is because of the Ent Draught only being featured in the extended edition.. I therefore believe their height will differ again in the EE. Anyone's else opinion?
Old 12-20-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I too wished to see the difference. However, because not everyone has seen the extended versions, if the difference were too noticeable, it might be a bit too confusing. Maybe Peter Jackson will shift things around in the extended edition, but I don't think he'll break too many hearts if he doesn't.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I saw ROTK on Thursday, and TTT EE on Friday. As soon as I saw that the ent-draughts were included, it was easy to cast my mind back to the shots at the coronation with all four hobbits the same height.<P>Bad call to leave the ent-draughts in. If PJ wanted more time in Fangorn, why couldn't we meet Quickbeam?! At least then, not all the ents would be painfully boring and slow to listen to.<P>I guess the filmmakers will have to say that "The magic wears off after one movie" or something stupid like that!
Old 12-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I disagree I thought the ent draught was a good scene that should have been left in. Quickbeam as cool as he is would have been much harder to bring in seeing that he is so hasty compared to the other ents. Non readers would have got the impression that ents come in a variety of temperments and so forth whereas as readers know that only quickbeam was different in his hastiness. I think it would not have been as easy to bring him in as to have the much needed comic relief of Merry and Pippin and what happened with them.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Good point. I think the RotK-EE will have M&P taller than F&S. <P>And, personally, I am looking forward to the series of postage stamps that the USPS will issue for The Lord of the Rings movies. They have taken to allowing the public to vote on which version of certain figures are enshrined on stamps. For instance, the young, thin Elvis or the old, fat Elvis?<P>So I hope to get a chance to vote for the Extended Edition tall, green, and growing Merry and Pippin!