The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting What would you do if you were Aragorn after Gandalf had fallen?

Sorry if it dosen't really look like a good thing. But im new(not really to ME but to the forums) anyway what would you do if you were Aragorn after Gandalf had fallen? Where would you take the rest of the fellowship? I would have taken them not to the Argonath or stop at Amon Hen. I would take them straight to Rohan. Thus, preventing the death of Boromir, the capture of Merry and Pippin and the breaking of the fellowship [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . What would you do i'd like to know.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I doubt I would have followed your course of action. As has been said, taking them to Rohan would take them to close to Saruman and Isengard, and strategically it would make no sense with regards to Frodo and the Ring. There would be no point for Frodo to be in Rohan, as it would be too dangerous for him to assist in the battle of Helm's Deep and also since they were unsure at that point if Rohan remained faithful to Gondor. If I were Aragorn, I would lead them exactly as they went: to Lothlorien, the obvious next choice, and then down the Anduin, making good speed towards both of their possible destinations (Minas Tirith and Mordor) and allowing much-needed thinking time. I don't know if I would have had the power to trust Frodo and Sam going alone to Mordor, but certainly it would be better than having them wait idle somewhere else.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

I wasnt really going to stay in Rohan I would just pass through and go to Fangorn. Th ents werent dangerous at least I dont think they were(hope im not getting to movieish havent read any of the books for a long time)(cept Silmarillion) and then if Gandalf would have been reincarnated by then im lucky otherwise Frodo would still be safe.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I probably would have gone to Lothlorien since it was quite close to Moria after Gandalf fell. Then I would have gone down the Anduin to Amon Hen, thus the breaking of the Fellowship. I think that it was inevitable that it would break, and it was better that it did sooner than later.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yes, I would agree that Aragorn made the best choice given the circumstances. His first priority had to be to protect the ring. Lothlorien was the safest place to be. That would give him time to think and use the council of the elves.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:03 PM   #6
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Aragorn wanted to go straight to Rohan, then they wouldn't have needed to pass through Moria in the first place. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I would have taken the company to Lorien, where much-needed rest would be received, as well as insight from the Lady Galadriel.
It would have been too hard on the group (especally the Hobbits) if there had been no grieving, no rest, and no "cheerer up" after loosing Gandalf. And besides, without passing Lorien, then they wouldn't have had received the very important gifts of the Lady: the phial, the elven-brooches (which helped to track Merry and Pippin), Sam's rope, the elven cloaks (which were very useful for concealment), and Sam's little box of dirt that helped in the restoration of the Shire in the end. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2003, 03:29 AM   #7
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

..I would have muttered comething ot the effect of "bugger..." turned and saw the hoard of orcs and yelled to the others. "OK kids, Gandy's carked it, orf yers go, now on your way! We dont want to become Orc dinner now do we?" And then I owuld have gone to Lorien...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:08 AM   #8
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
I would have muttered comething ot the effect of "bugger..."
That's just what I was thinking as I scrolled down this list. Like in Blackadder.

But seriously, I think Aragorn made the best descision he could have. After all, everything turned out relatiley all right. And anyway 'even the smallest person (or thing, or action) can change the course of the future'. So if Boromir had lived, for instance, there may have been a completely different outcome altogether.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:22 AM   #9
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
So if Boromir had lived, for instance, there may have been a completely different outcome altogether.
Yess indeed! Do the Wave!!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #10
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Boromir did 'do the wave'. His boat ended up in the Sea, after all.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I would have gotten depressed beaten up a some stone walls. This would inflick injury to my person and then my hads would get infected. I would then cry for moths at a time, and probably lead all to folly. That is how I handle things.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:27 PM   #12
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

The only reasonable course of action would be for Aragorn to go to Lothlorien as he had. His destination inherent was to reach Mordor/Minas Tirith. There's no sense in going to Rohan. For one, it's the wrong way (away from Mordor). Two, it would bring the company closer to Saruman (I wouldn't want to be near him if I didn't have to be). And three, Aragorn had no knowledge that there was any bit of turmoil going on in Rohan. Aragorn found out about Rohan's situation from Eomer, when he arrived in Rohan. And in that exchange Aragorn says that it has been a while since he had ridden within Rohan, so he wouldn't have known of their situation first hand either.
The only other possible direction I can think of would be to go east to try and get in through the back door of Mordor on it's northeastern side. And while he might be able to muster help from Legolas' mates from the woodland realm, the trek east is more perilous than that down the Anduin.

~Scott
Old 01-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

i would do exactly as he did, theres only death awaiting the fool who jumps after someone down endless depths
Old 01-04-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Ring

I'd say Aragorn took the right course. The Breaking of the Fellowship was kind of necessary, as the point was that eventually all of them would succumb to the lure of the Ring.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:12 PM   #15
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

Aragorn should've gone to Erebor, then travel to the Anduin, the sail down it to Osgiliath and then to Mordor! Just kidding! He made the right choice, plus he got to see Galadriel one last time!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:14 AM   #16
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Gee, I don't think Aragorn made the wrong choice by leading the party to Lothlorien, and afterwards down the Anduin, afterall, that was what they were sent to do anyway.

In fact, after Moria, there is absolutely no way back, since they were already being pursued by the orcs that sought redress for the death of their beloved captain. Lothlorien would be not just a logical step in their path, but a necessary one.
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Pipe Minas Tirith

After Gandalf had fallen hmm. Well definately going to Lothlorien was a good idea then Amon Hen.

At Amon hen. If Boromir hadn't of died and the hobbits hadn't of been captured the definate route probably would of been Minas Tirith. Legolas and Gimli voted for Minas Tirith, of course Boromir would of said Minas Tirith, and with Merry and Pippin(more then merry) liking Boromir they I would guess would say Minas Tirith.

Thing is, if we had gone to Minas Tirith, who would of gone and aided Rohan to bring 6,000 Rohirrim? For clearly if it wasn't for Aragorn Rohan wouldn't of survived. Theoden was a noble king but didn't do much at Helm's Deep it was Aragorn and Eomer who did most of the leading, Theoden's glory came at Pelennor.

If it wasn't for Aragorn (even if Helm's Deep was a successful win) who would of gotten Theoden to travel to Minas Tirith? Now, Theoden wasn't such a bastard like he was in ROTK "oh Gondor didn't help us so why should we help them." He wasn't like that, he understood why Gondor couldn't help but who would of told him, you know theres more deeds to be done you need to go to Minas Tirith. Because, by the time Hirgon would of gotten to Theoden it might of been to late.

There's all sorts of scenarios I kind of lost myself back there, so excuse me if it gets confusing
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:13 AM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Dark-Eye Perky Ent

Going to Erebor or going to lothlorien?

Hmm, Erebor wouldn't of been a bad idea it was the strongest city in all Middle-Earth at this time. It was said not even Sauron's forces could get into Erebor. So it had to of been stronger then even the great cities of Minas Tirith or Caras Galadhon.

But without going to Lothlorien they would of missed out all of the wisdom and council of Galadriel. Galadriel is the wisest elf and until the Istari arrived she was the most powerful person on Middle Earth.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:37 AM   #19
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Was not Tom Bombadil more powerful than Galadriel and also there before her?
Old 03-18-2004, 08:02 AM   #20
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
You've got it! But after passing through Moria, do you suppose Aragorn would lead the party back through the Dark Chasm (and hence knock at the doors of the orcs who are moaning their beloved captain) and return to Rivendell, and from there go back to find Ol' Tom Bombadil?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:20 AM   #21
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
I wasn't saying go back and find him as he is not powerful enough out of the forest. I would have took them to Lothlorien like Aragorn did.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think aragorn did everything right after Gandalf fell, he was both wise and brave and did his best to protect the fellowship. Go aragorn!