The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2003, 12:04 AM   #1
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien Just Imagine...

Has anyone ever wondered beyond a daydream what our world would be like today if it were more like Middle Earth or even Arda as a whole?

As a people in general, I think that we get too caught up in all of the grey areas concerning life. But what if evil had a face to it, like Sauron, or knowing who the bad people were was as easy as looking at a (not so) friendly neighborhood orc?

You could have the choice of smoking and drinking your days away in the Shire (not that I necessarily condone that stuff, but you know, to each their own [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) or ride to Gondor or Rohan to protet the world in the name of Eru. Where's my Arwen or Luthien here in our world?

To me it sounds ideal at the moment. But could it also be incredibly horrid?

I'm not insinuating that Tolkien's worlds were totally black and white either, but you have to admit that they do seem easier to swallow than our own is at the moment.

You guys here seem to be some of the most insightful people I have 'communicated' with. What do you think?
Old 03-30-2003, 02:07 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
Has anyone ever wondered beyond a daydream what our world would be like today if it were more like Middle Earth or even Arda as a whole?
I don't really daydream about that, instead, I daydream about what it would be like if I were in Middle-earth. Sometimes I get a DUI [dreaming under the influence (not driving)]. I'll have a dream that I'm in Middle-earth and either it's a serious dream or it's all wierd and mixed up but funny...

Well, I don't know of anyone who daydreams of our world like ME. I really don't like to think about the world too much. Somethings either infuriate me or sicken me, and some things are just so depressing. But, for some reason, I can't mix ME with our world, in my mind. I can make analogies and find other realations, but just sticking them together doesn't work for me. Is it like that for anyone else, or am I just an oddball?

Quote:
You guys here seem to be some of the most insightful people I have 'communicated' with.
I agree with that. I think it's because it's so diverse here. I don't know what I'd do without this site...

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my gosh, there are days when I want to go to Rivendell or the Shire, or fight alongside the elves and King Elessar, so bad that its almost painful. I think Tolkien presented a very important message in his writing: that no matter how bad things get, no matter how twisted and convuluted the world seems, compassion, valor, chivalry and love can, and eventually will, always prevail!

Sorry if that was too mushy for you, but I think its worth remembering [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Oh my gosh, there are days when I want to go to Rivendell or the Shire, or fight alongside the elves and King Elessar, so bad that its almost painful.
You too, huh? It really does hurt so much. More because i live in a town and i just want to cry when i see how tacky and degraded the world around me is (no offence to anyone, im only referring to my area).
I tend to live in a dream world most of my life, whatever im doing, whether its Lotr or simply a better version of our own world.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I tend to live in a dream world most of my life
Me too! Sometimes when either the world around me gets too boring or it's too much to take I slip into Middle Earth and imagine what it would be like there. Sometimes it does hurt though, because you can't ever visit there for real, and the people, or elves or dwarves or hobbits or whatever, are only in your head and you can't meet wonderful creatures like that.
* Sigh* pity...
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Right about now I feel like slipping into a cozy hobbit hole and fall asleep knowing that the only things I'll have to worry about tomorrow is exactly how many breakfasts I'll be eating and whether or not I should nap in between.

If only life were that simple...