Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #2921
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay.

I still don't know when I'll post. I've been busy since school started.

-- Foley
Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #2922
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'll try to write something tomorrow. This looks interesting!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #2923
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hmm I'm really pitiful with RPGs, am I not? *insert self-pity and annoyance at self*

Anyway, I've caught up and told myself from now on to check Scarburg whenever I check the 'downs at all (disincluding the times when I just check a ww thread ) so I won't have huge masses of posts unread discouraging me from checking what's happening and posting.

I have promised LMP to write today but I have to think a bit before doing that. If I fail, please don't think of me too badly, I will post tomorrow (it's almost 2am here now but before you freak out I have to tell you I've gone to sleep outrageously late lately so this is not too bad for me yet).

And Wulfric and Wilheard... oh dear, I don't want to know what's kept them quiet all this time if they've indeed been along on the trip to Faramund's house.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #2924
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And Wulfric and Wilheard... oh dear, I don't want to know what's kept them quiet all this time if they've indeed been along on the trip to Faramund's house.
I'm not sure I want to know what they will do! (meaning: go ahead Lommy!)

Just a few words of explanation about my last post - and the short one coming after this is done.

Lord Athanar is a veteran soldier o the war and a leader to the bone. From that kind of family and that kind of experience.

He's not looking forwards to Faramund really trying to attack them, but he takes measures - in every situation.

So he wishes to move out from the small room to the larger hall with multiple exits nearby and closer to his men to do the reading & questioning of that guy who was kicked out from the Hall. Also thus relieving some pressure from Faramund to make any hasty choices as if they were sitting in the private dining room basically closing him to his private quarters for the time.

He wishes a few men to protect him - not too many to make it obvious there's real tension as that could provoke reactions from the other side. And he will stay on the stairs outside until his men and Stedfast arrives with the "documents".

Also him asking Thornden to tell Coen to be alert will basically mean that Coen will pick some of his men immediately to drop whatever they were doing and start looking around (not patrolling openly around but kind of hanging around actively looking for anything that looks suspicious) - and then he'd tell the rest that even if they were allowed to continue eating & such they should be on their guard.

Anyone willing to play Stedfast or should I take him in with my next post?

lmp: are you willing to play Friduhelm, and/or the wronged peasant? Or someone else?

Also, I'll make a short post adding to my earlier one. Anyone willing to have a one to one discussion with some other player should pick it (not Thornden or Coen though); maybe one of Athanar's boys could be one of them - or then just anyone two, or we could just send two un-named guys there no one writes for? Just a chance to make a dialogue to any writers - and to make Athanar a seasoned tactician... (check at the map to see what I mean...)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #2925
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
lmp: are you willing to play Friduhelm, and/or the wronged peasant? Or someone else?
No prob. Friduhelm is the dad. The wronged peasant is Wiglaf. Okay, as needed.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #2926
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah...I'm a little tied up now so I don't know if I'll be able to post. So go ahead without me. I'll stick in something whenever I can.

Lommy, I look forward to seeing you around more. I think WW distracts a lot of RPers, really.

-- Foley
Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #2927
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I just read Nogrod's second post - in case I don't get to write anything, assume that Thornden has no quesitons.

-- Foley
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #2928
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Foley, I think I just distract myself in general.

And sorry for not keeping my promise about the posting schedules. It really wasn't (mostly) my own fault - like I explained LMP on Facebook both times when I tried to get on the 'downs yesterday it was down (both times for several hours).

Anyway, that shall be fixed as soon as I've had some food and tea: I shall write for Modtryth and if I get enthusiastic, also for Wulfric and/or Wilheard.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #2929
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Lhuna - I've posted, see if you want any changes and I'll have the done no problem. Also, we should keep in mind Garmund might pop up soonish to tell Falco has come back, if I remember correctly.

Shall write for Wulf&Will as soon as I come up something funny and fitting enough.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #2930
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So Faramund has found a way to justify himself. Doesn't mean he's not a grasping, greedy, overbearing landlord. But he thinks he has the law on his side. Should be interesting.....
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #2931
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Shoudl be interesting, indeed. What are you trying to do? Start a Rohanian civil war?

I think Faramund is something of a moron, and so does Thornden, but Thornden is fairly good at concealing his feelings, I think...

-- Foley
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #2932
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Shoudl be interesting, indeed. What are you trying to do? Start a Rohanian civil war?
No, I'm just carrying through on what the character feels like.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #2933
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well... huhh-uh.

Quite a nice spotting though lmp, as I think it was exactly Thornden who insisted on Faramund being thrown out from the hall. So Faramund would not have too warm feelings on Thornden...

(If you didn't know that lmp, you might wish to add some "inner thoughts" from Faramund behind those words where he is like he doesn't recognize Thornden )

Btw, do we have a shared understanding regarding the relative strenghts of the two groups of men? My gut feeling would be that lord Athanar would lead more men that Faramund has (there are the men of the older Mead Hall + lord Athanar's own men), but as we have been describing Faramund as a wealthy man he might have more men one would foresee. But what do you others think?

We should probably also check if there are any numbers mentioned anywhere earlier.

I mean, that will affect a lot how lord Athanar will react to the new developements - which he will soon no doubt find out about. If he has the upper hand comfortably he will probably be tough and threaten with force, at least first; but if not, he's not going to let any of his men get killed because of a young hothead he can handle later with king Eomer's help... The one thing all the war vets learn from their experiences is that no one should be risked if it's not absolutely necessary - and even if Faramund might feel this to be a thing of his honour and pride (and conceiling his crimes) and something he'd be ready to sacrifice his men for, to lord Athanat it is nothing personal; only one more little thing on the agenda that should be dealt with... in time if not now.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #2934
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

My thought is that Athanar has roughly 36 men on horse, Faramund about 24. The advantage in numbers Athanar has is not entirely erased by the advantage Faramund has of being on defense.

I'm wrestling with how low Faramund would go: does he take the high road and give Athanar's men an out by allowing them to take their horses and leave, or does he take the low road and capture the horses and try to gain the upper hand by force? The latter would put him (even in his own mind) clearly on the wrong side of the law, which would ruin his self-justification, so I'm thinking he won't go there. High road it is.

I added a few thoughts to the last post for Faramund, having to do with his memory of being thrown out. Thanks for the tip, Nogrod!

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-06-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #2935
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
My thought is that Athanar has roughly 36 men on horse, Faramund about 24. The advantage in numbers Athanar has is not entirely erased by the advantage Faramund has of being on defense.
To me that sounds like a reasonable count. Although I must say that Athanar will not be on offence... He's too seasoned and wise for that.

Quote:
I'm wrestling with how low Faramund would go: does he take the high road and give Athanar's men an out by allowing them to take their horses and leave, or does he take the low road and capture the horses and try to gain the upper hand by force? The latter would put him (even in his own mind) clearly on the wrong side of the law, which would ruin his self-justification, so I'm thinking he won't go there. High road it is.
Also looking at the numbers of the men, the fact that lord Athanar is actually a commander who has led men in the great war, the fact that many of lord Athanar's men have served in major units of eorlinga (not to talk of the infallible original Mead Hallers ), it would be a decent decision on behalf of Faramund not to try his luck the low road...

What about Stedford? Have you any strong feelings about him lmp? I see you write him sneaking past Faramund so I take it he's going to give the ledger to Athanar. But after that?

I think we could make him this dramatic hero who does what is right even if the consequences might be costly to him?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #2936
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Stedford? Well, there was a wall between them so they didn't know they were passing each other. Hero? I suppose. Anybody who wants to write him, feel free. He's a good man who doesn't want the limelight, just wants to do his best and wants justice and mercy to dealt out in balanced measure.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #2937
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

So anyone willing to pick Stedford is now free to take him. He has been addressed with quite a hard question...

On another thought, I was thinking that what if Friduhelm actually senses things are not right and will force himself up from his bed and come to the place of action?

That could be a dramatic scene to write indeed.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #2938
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
There are 36 men from Scarburg? I've been imagining a lot fewer than that (10-15)... apparently Leof really does need some help in the stables.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #2939
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
There are 36 men from Scarburg? I've been imagining a lot fewer than that (10-15)...
I'd say the count is a bit over from what I thought, but the ratio (Mead Hall men vs. Faramund's men) feels like a correct one.

I think there was something like 15 men-at-arms in Eodwine's Mead Hall, and if Athanar brought more or less as many, that would make it thirty. Which I find a reasonable count.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #2940
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I guess I didn't realize there were that many men in Eodwine's court, since they're almost all NPC's and no one ever mentioned them that I'm aware of.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #2941
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

hmmm..... I actually thought it would be 24 for Faramund - but 20's okay.

As for Friduhelm, I'm going to have to put some thought into that.

Maybe I'll take a peek at Stedford, too, unless someone else wants to first. I'll wait a bit....

..... hmm.... actually I know exactly how Stedford should reply. I'd like to, if everybody's okay with that...?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #2942
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi, did you know that Thornden addresed what's-his-name once more? Just wanted to let you know, in case you'd missed it.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #2943
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

lmp: if you think it's 24, then it is 24. I'm okay with it.

What is your impression of the number of soldiers Eodwine had back in the days? I've had an impression lord Athanar would have something like around 15 men with him (not more than 20 anyway, preferably less than that). Any decent sum total we could come up with would be cool for me.

Also, if you have an idea for Stedford, just go for it. I think he's not anyone's character yet and you have written the most for him thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
apparently Leof really does need some help in the stables.
He apparently does...

Although I'm not sure if they are on any stables as such. I think there was a post somewhere there where it was said they were behind the stables outside (or then I'm wrong) - anyway it would actually be quite lavish if lord Faramund who has something like 20+ men & their horses would have stables for over fifty just in case someone dropped in with so many men...

But that's a minor detail.

So everyone, just go for it! We do have an interesting situation here in our hands...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #2944
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Posted again!

Nog, let me know if I'm contradicting stuff either of us has written earlier. I keep forgetting. Also, if anything looks wrong, tell me in that case too.

Still have to come up with something for the two walking catastrophes...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #2945
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nog, let me know if I'm contradicting stuff either of us has written earlier. I keep forgetting. Also, if anything looks wrong, tell me in that case too.
It looks pretty good to me. So no problem there.

About the two walking catastrophes... well, just don't make them kill anyone.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #2946
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of acquainting themselves with local serving girls...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #2947
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of acquainting themselves with local serving girls...
That's a lot better idea... although I don't think there is much time for it anymore at the moment - well you can write on it in retrospect for sure (I'm actually quite keen to hear that story ).
Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #2948
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
That's a lot better idea... although I don't think there is much time for it anymore at the moment - well you can write on it in retrospect for sure (I'm actually quite keen to hear that story ).
Yup. I thought they'd have disappeared somewhere when they found out they are not invited to the negotiations and they'd be coming back now hearing all the noise. I will post today or tomorrow, depends on my inspiration and the clock.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #2949
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I so want Thornden and these two morons to have a run-in together and let Thornden whallop the daylights out of their miserable hides. But I am kind of prone to thinking that would be out of character for him. *sigh*

I love your characters, Lommy.

-- Foley
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #2950
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm coming up with at least 12, at most 15 under Eodwine.

I'll check out your latest post, Foley. These instant email notices are just a wee bit dicey, apparently....

It would appear Stedford has been just waiting to be asked such a question, considering how many words he spent on it! :P

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #2951
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
He apparently does...

Although I'm not sure if they are on any stables as such. I think there was a post somewhere there where it was said they were behind the stables outside (or then I'm wrong) - anyway it would actually be quite lavish if lord Faramund who has something like 20+ men & their horses would have stables for over fifty just in case someone dropped in with so many men...

But that's a minor detail.
I meant the stables back at Scarburg, more than currently at Faramund's. Because now there are probably on the order of 40-50 horses at Scarburg all told... Folwren and I discussed this some a while back and we decided to just keep Javan helping out.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #2952
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I meant the stables back at Scarburg, more than currently at Faramund's.
Sorry, my bad reading...

lmp: let me know if I made it too easy on my last post? I understand if you wish to make it harder, but then again we'll never proceed unless things start happening - and I think we need some goodies for the later parts of this game as well...

Any editing on behalf of Stedford will be made as soon as you voice them...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #2953
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice post, Noggie! I get a kick out of how you call him Stedfast every once in a while (toward the end of your post). It is in his character.

No changes needed to Stedford's words and thoughts and actions. Nicely done. Athanar's appeal to Stedford is pitched perfectly. I'd give you props but I have to spread 'em around...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #2954
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Nogrod - Athanar sent somebody to have Leof and the horses come to him "here" where Athanar is, but I'm not very clear on where that is anymore. My understanding of Faramund's hall's layout is something like a large hall front and center (where all the Scarburg soldiers were), which is attached to Faramund's quarters - unless this has a back door, comings and goings would be noticeable from out in front where Leof is. Off to one side then is the paddock and the stables, where Faramund and his men now are. And then there's a cabin somewhere where Friduhelm is... and somewhere there's a wall.

That's the way I'm picturing it, but I don't know if that's consistent with other people's views. I guess could you correct my mental picture if it needs it, and then explain to me where Athanar is so I can write a post for Leof?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #2955
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've been picturing that Athanar and Stedford met in the hall where Faramund holds court. I could be wrong.

I've also been picturing that Faramund's place has the hall in front, and facing the Hall from the road, the stables are to the right, and the cabin of Friduhelm is beyond the stables along with other outbuildings; the paddock is behind both stables and Faramund's hall. At least, that's been my picture.

It might seem strange for the cabin and outbuildings to be beyond the stables; maybe they could be on the OTHER side of the hall from the stables, and a little behind?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #2956
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Sooooo...

How are things looking on the home front?

I'm asking because Wynflaed is finally itching at my fingertips (and she's normally a patient character) after I unceremoniously withdrew her to prevent further awkward among the old-timers. I have my own ideas of what she might have been doing (and she assumed that Athanar took their sons with him on the expedition), and could probably manage a solo post, but I'd much rather interact with some other writers.

Any takers?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #2957
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, I can tell you where my characters are. Saeryn is still in the kitchen talking with Falco, as are several of the others still at Scarburg.

Javan is somewhere between the stables and the smithy with old Raban and Harreld.

I say, bring Wynflaed back into the action, if you want. She can come into the kitchen on any pretense you give her, I imagine. Possibly she is looking for Lilige?

-- Foley
Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #2958
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Thanks, Foley. I'll probably bring her back in later tonight, when I have time to drum up a post. I just get a little concerned as I'm afraid Wynflaed's effect on the "old guard" is stifling conversation (which is why I took her out earlier).

I'm also curious as to Scarburg's housing arrangements for guests like Falco. I'm assuming he'll just put up in the barracks?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #2959
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Scyld is still wandering around too. I haven't posted anything for him because I'm honestly not sure where or how he fits into the picture anymore. I've sort of been thinking about just writing him out of the Hall... but maybe I ought to put a little more effort into it than that.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #2960
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Scyld is still wandering around too. I haven't posted anything for him because I'm honestly not sure where or how he fits into the picture anymore. I've sort of been thinking about just writing him out of the Hall... but maybe I ought to put a little more effort into it than that.
Noooooooooo!!!!!!

Don't do that! Scyld is just too good a character! Think of something, anything! Puleeeeeze!

(feeling a little sheepish after all that, but still.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne
I'm also curious as to Scarburg's housing arrangements for guests like Falco. I'm assuming he'll just put up in the barracks?
I'd say so.