The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sir Saruman

I am sure all fans of Christopher Lee will be happy to know he has been awarded a knighthood in today's Queen's Birthday Honours - and not before time.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
HURRAH! *toasts Sir Lee with appropriate beverage*
Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A fine actor, to be sure. His abilty to give an air of menace to a character named 'Count Dooku' alone merits the honour.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Can you name any other LOTR actors who have been, or may
be in the future, knighted? Omg, what if PJ's one!
Tell me you have to be a Uk citizen.

And being a skate boarding elf is an instant disqualification. Right? Right?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Sir Gandalf and Sir Bilbo

Both Ians, McKellen and Holm, have been knighted. And yes, I'm quite sure that being British is a prerequisite.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
What about being a member of the commonwealth?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaL sHaDoW View Post
What about being a member of the commonwealth?
I think it depends...

I can't speak to the situation across the Commonwealth, but that ceased to be much of an option for Canadians some time in the last fifty years or so, possibly dating to about when we *cough cough* patriated the Constitution.

Regardless, I'm delighted to hear that the recipient is now Sir Christopher Lee. He most certainly deserves it.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Both Ians, McKellen and Holm, have been knighted. And yes, I'm quite sure that being British is a prerequisite.
No it isn't - citizens of commonwealth countries receive Knighthoods and Damehoods if their own governments permit them (New Zealand has recently rescinded its rules preventing this so theoretically Peter Jackson could be knighted). Non-british or Commonwealth citizens may receive what is commonly called an "honorary knighthood" - for example Bill Gates, Placido Domingo, Rudi Giuliani, Presidents Reagan, Bush Senior and Mitterand, Chancellor Kohl, Bob Geldof. The holders may use the apropriate initials for their order after their name (eg KBE) but are not dubed and may not call themself Sir /Dame X. An exception is Tony O'Reilly who holds dual British Irish nationality and who has permission from the Irish Government and those foreign citizens who subsequently take out British Nationality (eg the late JP Getty and Yehudi Menuhin).

Unless you are an politician of international Statesman level you usually have to do a serious amount of good work for charity - being very sucessful at music or computers is not enough! The only foreign film director to be given a knighthood is Spielberg...

Of course other countries have order of chivalry - it isn't exclusively British. I worked for someone who was a knight of a Maltese catholic order of chivalry.

It is rather early to say with much confidence which of the other LOTR actors might be honoured. Most are still rather young and some actors decline honours on political or other principal. If this is not the case then I imagine Sean Bean might well be a possibility. Cate Blanchett in my opinion is certainly of the calibre of our current crop of bedamed actresses but as an Australian republican she might well refuse.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Congratulations to Sir Christopher on his well deserved honor.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
He's certainly come a long way from playing Frankenstein's monster in those old Hammer films.