The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2003, 10:15 AM   #81
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, I have alot of 'favourite' characters...among the most prominent are:
Sam- his good humour, folksy charm, loyalty, and courage is endearing and inspiring.
Tom Bombadil- I can't explain other than to say that I like him because he's Tom Bombadil and an incredibly interesting character
Merry and Pippin- I love the way they really come into their own and find their niches in the story.
That's all for now...
Peace

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 05-12-2003, 11:16 AM   #82
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OK, this is quite a starightforward question! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ummmm...Many of the characters in LOTR are to my liking but I love Sam (he's really sweet) Legolas and his shampoo jokes and Galadriel (I love her mysteriousness!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #83
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually I think I have already written this somewhere but since I could not find where I could repeat meself and write t6hat my favorite characters are Merry and Pippin for I like charecters with charecter . Sounds stupid doesn't it ? But really they have a sence of humor and they are not overcomed by the war that's upon them .
Eowyn's ok too . A lad with an attitude [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And actually hobbits rule ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #84
EvennStarr8
Pile O'Bones

EvennStarr8 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite are Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit and Gollum from the books and the movies.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]but i love them all!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:21 AM   #85
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favorite characters are Pippin, Faramir and Boromir.

I like Faramir and Boromir because, to my eyes, they are rather sad characters. When Boromir died I was very upset. He was not a bad man, I really liked his character (*so* not dull!) Faramir has gone through so many hardships, his brother, father and mother dying, but then he gets Eowyn so he has a rather more happy ending. I think the story of Boromir is quite tragic.

And I like Pippin because he is light hearted and can extract humor from any situation. I don't think he's stupid at all, he is actually pretty intelligent. A little foolish some times, but it's just because he's young. Not stupid though.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #86
earendil04

Tolkien

I really like Glorfindel and ARAGORN I think it was unfair to give Arwen such a big part of the story [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #87
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love Sam. He embodies all the hobbits best qualities. He isn't stagnant, but learns and grows throughout the story. The Sam who hid in the bushes listening under Frodos window could never have become mayor of Hobbiton without his growth experiences through his quest with Frodo.

I also love Cirdan the shipbuilder. He was willing to surrender his ring of power to Gandalf. He remains in Middle Earth when all the other elves are leaving, faithful to what he believes even when it isn't following the crowd.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #88
Phoenix
Pile O'Bones

Phoenix has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Phoenix
Sting

My favorite male character is Legolas Greenleaf, female character Arwen Undomiel. I do, however, wish that they had more lines in the films even if they didn't in the books.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:46 AM   #89
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

You mean I have to choose between them?? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Well, I'll try...
[*]Sam: I would go through now and give you a 5-paragraph-long reason why, but by the looks of it, plenty of you know where I'm coming from on this one so why bother?
[*]Boromir: His character is amazingly complex. I love reading over his parts in the books for hours, just trying to understand what's going through his mind.
[*]Denethor: I think he's hillarious. So dramatic, so pessimistic, so sure everyone's going to die. You just have too take a comical look at Denethor at least once while reading the books. I mean, look at his dialogue!
Quote:
"Go now, and die in what ways seems best to you." (RotK, The Siege of Gondor)
And saying that to a young hobbit no less! That's just gold right there, man. True, it's terribly tragic what happened to him, but it's still strangly amusing to hear him talk.
[*]Théoden: I personally think he's one of the best examples of kingliness in the whole book. He's just so strong and compassionate, with only the best for his people in mind. His story is very touching.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:53 PM   #90
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Wow, it's great seeing so many Samwise fans. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sam is my all-time favorite literary character. He's like the quinessential hobbit - sensible, funny, and a lover of the garden. And brave... I was blown away when I read Shelob's Lair. To some, the idea of one little hobbit running at a giant spider would seem laughable, but it doesn't come off that way at all when you actually read it. And The Tower of Cirith Ungol almost had me in tears... his unwavering loyalty to his master and friend, and that hope that he always seems to possess makes me believe he's the kind of person we should all strive to be like.

Also, Sam's the perfect case of not judging a book by its cover. It's hard to imagine a hobbit gardener (who occasionally comes off as a bit dim) somewhere in the depths of Mordor, at times the only hope for Frodo, the main protagonast of the story. He's a lot smarter than he seems at first, and a whole lot braver. He's also a bit of a poet, which is probably one of the reasons why I love him so much... I'm a sucker for poets. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't think much of that made any sense, but I find it difficult to put in words how I feel about characters and stories that I really love. So to sum up - Sam's great. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I also really love Faramir. Noble, wise, a real gentleman, in my opinion. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I had such admiration for him in TTT, and when I read The Steward and the King, I fell in love with him right along with Éowyn.

Speaking of Éowyn, she's another one of my favorite characters. Cold, beautiful, and sad... to me, she's one of those characters who you can't help but feel for, and who you hope everything works out for. Plus she's got one of my favorite lines: "But no living man am I!" Her and Merry's battle with the Nazgûl King was one of the most powerful parts of the books for me.

And people will probably think I'm weird for saying this, but I just love Bill the pony for some reason. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Théoden: I personally think he's one of the best examples of kingliness in the whole book. He's just so strong and compassionate, with only the best for his people in mind. His story is very touching.
Wonderfully put. Théoden is an amazing character, for all of the reasons you stated. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #91
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

<----Beren.

He kinda lived his life along the lines of "all you need is love." I can relate to that very well.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:37 PM   #92
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Favorite Characters:

* Sam: his loyalty, devotion and love towards Frodo makes him one of the best characters.

* Eowyn: her personality is unique.

* Faramir: the difference between his character and Boromir's is amazing, so why did I choose Faramir? Because Faramir is wise and yet unwise, and I don't like Boromir's arrogance.

* Bilbo: no explanation needed her.

* Tom Bombadil: no explanation needed either, though I think I like Goldberry even better.

From the Silmarillion I don't, have to read it once more I guess [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Gandalf is also a good character, The White and the Grey, for he makes the statement: 'do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for the are subtle and quick to anger', quite real.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:08 AM   #93
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From LOTR - Aragorn, Gandalf and Gollum
From The Hobbit - Bilbo and Balin
From Silmarillion - Beren, Fingolfin, Turin and Maedhros.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #94
Sea Tiger
Newly Deceased

Sea Tiger has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

LotR- Eowyn
Gollum ( he's funny and admit it he's cute!)
Sam
Aragorn
I would tell you who I like in the Silmarilion
(spelling?) but I haven't read it yet [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Sorry.
Love the site [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #95
Fedaeglin
Pile O'Bones

Fedaeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I like all of the elves, because they are AWESOME. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I also like the rest of the fellowship-- Gandalf is so cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 09:10 AM   #96
Little_My*
Pile O'Bones

Little_My* has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum is my sweetheart..I think hes so sweet, but at the same time not.
"Do extra-terrestrial beings exist? - the Nobel Prize winning Italian physicist, Enrico Fermi, was once asked by his disciples in California. Of course, Fermi answered - they are already here among us, they are called Hungarians..."
Little_My* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:14 PM   #97
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

Legolas and Aragorn are by far my favorite.

I mean... how can you get any cooler? (In both books and movies.) But than again... I love the Elves, and I consider the Hobbits and Dwarves for the most part highly annoying. (Pippin is pretty funny though.) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ah, well... you won't tell me anything that I haven't already heard from my little sister about how cool the Hobbits are...

-Elrowen

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:50 PM   #98
Chris

Sting

My fav charater was Sam. Next, Merry and Pippin, then Frodo. Out of all of them, though, Merry was the hottest.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:19 PM   #99
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

I think my favorite charater would have to be Gandalf. Because, I do love wizards I even play one when I role play! A few others are Eowyn, Frodo, Strider, and Galadriel. But Gandalf is my top most favorite! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:29 AM   #100
Faramir the Ranger

Silmaril

Hey there comrades the best character is ME FARAMIR
Old 08-08-2003, 10:16 AM   #101
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My favoeite charactor is Legolas I love his fighting skills
Old 08-08-2003, 11:42 AM   #102
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Ghostblade has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Melcore hands down. He was so cool in the books, plus the other gods were afraid of his power so of course he is cool!!!