The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is your pick to direct "The Hobbit"
Sam Raimi (Spider-Man) 1 5.00%
Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) 4 20.00%
Peter Weir (Master and Commander) 3 15.00%
Andrew Adamson (Chronicles of Narnia) 0 0%
Get Peter Jackson anyway, by hook or crook! 5 25.00%
Tim Burton 5 25.00%
Someone else 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Who should direct "The Hobbit"?

For the moment, Peter Jackson is slated to be one of the executive producers, as his schedule is already too full to direct The Hobbit. So who would be your choice for the Director's chair? Defend your position!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Galendor has just left Hobbiton.
I'm hoping for Guillermo del Toro.

I liked the look and feel of Pan's Labyrinth, serious and dark. I would like to see what he would do with The Hobbit.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Is this a serious thread? I mean, are we supposed to argument reasonably and make rational suggestions or say anything that would make an interesting film (like nominate a dead director or anything like that)?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm afraid my vote was from limited information, as I have only watched movies from three of the directors meantioned. But Peter Weir did an excellent job with Master and Commander, and he did the character in his movie very well, and pretty near the book characters. I'm afraid I don't care for the director of Narnia, but it didn't help my opinion that I almost know the Narnia books by memory. And Jackson? I have given some complaints on other threads, and don't think I will do so here. But any way it goes, I still believe I will be seeing it.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yes, this is a serious thread. And if you don't like one of the choices above, please feel free to suggest a different director (please, keep it to realistic possibilities).
Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm not going to vote just yet, but I think I would love to see Tim Burton's Hobbit. (It was discussed on some thred some time ago, but I've totally forgotten where and am too lazy to find it right now.) Of those you listed, I'd prefer Guillermo del Toro. I'd rather let someone else than Jackson have his/her chance on M-E, Adamson would possibly be too simple and childish, Raimi too action-ish and Weir too dry. Pan's Labyrinth was a very intriguing movie and it would be more than appropriate if similar intense magic would be found in The Hobbit. Ooh, just imagine del Toro's Mirkwood...! All in all, I think it should be someone with vision who could approach the world of the book innovatively, not just someone who'd cut half of it away and do the rest exactly as was said in the book (or worse, simplify it) and Middle-Earth should definitely not look like a faerie candyworld.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Just for grins, I have added Tim Burton to the poll. Anyone who wishes to switch their vote let me know.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
My first choice would be Jackson. If its not broke don't fix it. If that is not in the cards I would like to see Spielberg get the nod, at least on the first one - HOBBIT.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Why doesn't the poll include 'Nobody?'

But of those listed I'd go with Weir. Among others, perhaps Bruce Beresford.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Del Toro, if Pan's Labarynth is anything to go by, is far, far too dark for The Hobbit.

What about Rob Reiner, in Princess Bride mode? That wouldn't be bad at all, if a little of the archness were removed.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Why doesn't the poll include 'Nobody?'
I would imagine because the thread title is WHO SHOULD DIRECT THE HOBBIT?
It is not the Purist desire WHY NOBODY SHOULD MAKE THE HOBBIT.

I think that is clear.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
Del Toro, if Pan's Labarynth is anything to go by, is far, far too dark for The Hobbit.
Yeah, I see your point. But since it is suspected that The Hobbit movie will be darker than the book, I think I'd prefer to see what Guillermo del Toro's style and substance could do for it as opposed to how we suspect Jackson might approach it.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Of those listed it has to be Peter Weir who has directed some of my favourite films including "Picnic at Hanging Rock" and "Witness". I would just about anyone to Jackson. The Hobbit deserves to be taken on its own terms not as a prequel to a franchise movie - if PJ does it it will be same old same old *yawns* and definitely not a children's film. Hate to think what he would do with 13 dwarves to toss... and even more camp elves.

Ang Lee would be my not on the list choice. Crouching Tiger shows he can do myth and Sense and Sensibility shows he can do "English".

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Of those listed it has to be Peter Weir who has directed some of my favourite films including "Picnic at Hanging Rock" and "Witness". I would just about anyone to Jackson. The Hobbit deserves to be taken on its own terms not as a prequel to a franchise movie - if PJ does it it will be same old same old *yawns* and definitely not a children's film. Hate to think what he would do with 13 dwarves to toss... and even more camp elves.
Peter Weir would be a good choice. At least there have (thankfully?) not been any further statements that The Hobbit will be filmed in 3D...
Old 12-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

I am not at all sure that a 3-D Hobbit would necessarily be a bad thing. I have seen none of the major 3-D flicks of recent times, but I vivdly remember seeing, during a trip to Disney World (Orlando) circa 1995, a full-color 3-D Muppet film presentation which was utterly smashing! It did require special glasses, but not the old-fashioned red/blue ones. I don't know how they achieved the effect, but the effect astounded me at the time -- very convincing indeed. And with 10+ years to improve the effect, I can only imagine that it has gotten better.

Now, don't mistake me for wanting to overuse the effect just because you can -- the Spy Kids 3-D movie was, according to my kids, an excuse to abuse the effect in virtually (no pun intended) every scene. But as an extra measure of realism in a well-made movie, used with restraint, I would endorse such a move entirely. I get giddy imagining a 3-D Smaug in aerial assult against Lake-Town.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Posted by Thenamir:
But as an extra measure of realism in a well-made movie, used with restraint, I would endorse such a move entirely. I get giddy imagining a 3-D Smaug in aerial assult against Lake-Town.
I saw the digital 3D Beowulf, the audience had to wear glasses. The 3D took (me at least) some getting used to, but I must admit it was neat. The visuals in the last 30 minutes containing the dragon attack were pretty spectacular. It was the best looking and realistically-moving dragon I have ever seen in a movie.

Last edited by Galendor; 12-19-2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: messed up the quotes
Galendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #17
jabbernaut

I've heard a lot of people mention Alfonso Cuaron as a consideration...

... but my vote (second to PJ, of course) would be for Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean).

I consider him much like PJ in style, and like PJ he too has a very workable knowledge of effects and uses them to enhance his story, not just effects for their own sake.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Tim Burton, absolutely. I think he has not only a stunning vision of fantasy and myth, but also a lovely twisted sense of humour. I'd love to see what he'd do with the Hobbit. Of the others, well, Guillermo del Toro would be interesting as well.

PJ, on the other hand, would do well to leave the Hobbit for someone else. I'm quite bored of his massive, effect-oriented style of picturing Middle-Earth and I'd love to see another director's vision as well. Besides, I wouldn't like ME becoming known only by PJ's versions.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #19
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would love to have Peter Jackson do the Hobbit, since he was the one who started the Lord of the Rings he should finish it, but if I could pick any other directer it would be Peter Weir. Both he Jackson stay pretty true to the books, that they make into movies.
Jackson and Weir would make an awsome team!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #20
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Given these options it should be Peter Weir (to have a quarantee of a good film) or Tim Burton (to have a quarantee of an interesting and fresh film).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #21
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daily Variety is reporting this today

Quote:
After "Drag Me to Hell," Raimi is expected to go right back up the mountaintop and take the helm of "The Hobbit" films for New Line and MGM now that Peter Jackson has made it clear he won't direct.
Sam Raimi -- is he on anybodys wish list?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #22
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Tim Burton does a good job with turning books into movies. I'm not sure I'd want him directing The Hobbit though. Adamson did a good job with Chronicles of Narnia and he could probably do the same for The Hobbit. PJ would seem the obvious choice, but I'd like to see someone else's vision of Middle-Earth. Taking this seriously, I'm not sure who I'd like to see directing it.

However, I thought about humorous choices, like Stanley Kubrick (yes, yes I realize he's dead). But image Bilbo floating on a barrel down a river of blood. Or Gandalf riding a bomb down right in the middle of the Battle of Five Armies. Not to mention the Goblin King throwing a pony bone into the air, only to have it become an eagle.

Quote:
Daily Variety is reporting this today
Quote:
After "Drag Me to Hell," Raimi is expected to go right back up the mountaintop and take the helm of "The Hobbit" films for New Line and MGM now that Peter Jackson has made it clear he won't direct.
Is that so? Did he direct all three Spider-Man films? Because the first two were good, but that third one was something else.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sceptical of Sam Raimi because his previous example in the fantasy genre was Xena Warrior Princess. I would say that the best person to direct the Hobbit so as to tie it in with the LOTR film trilogy would be Peter Jackson himself. Can't he tell Spielberg to direct the first Tintin film so that he'll be free?

Last edited by zxcvbn; 12-20-2007 at 08:40 PM.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #24
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

There is an unconfirmed report on marketsaw.com that PJ may do exactly that - pass on the first two Tintin films to direct the third, which will leave him barely-adequate time to direct The Hobbit.

And as I voted for Sam Raimi but never defended my vote, I will do so now. First, Sam Raimi has indicated intense interest in the project - it wouldn't be "just another movie" to him, as it was not for PJ. Second, he has simultaneously professed respect for the existing work of Peter Jackson on the LOTR movies, and not keen to make radical changes in the style. Third, while the Spider-Man movies are not Fantasy per se, they do involve filming fantastic elements and making them look real. Raimi's work can be credited with virtually singlehandedly reviving comic-books (ahem, graphic-novels) as viable movie franchises.

So what if his last fantsy work was Xena? His work since then has been sterling, and I think he'd be a great choice.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #25
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Guillermo del Toro is another consideration if Raimi can't commit to The Hobbit. The look and feel of Pan's Labyrinth was really breathtaking. Perhaps del Toro could do the same from The Hobbit.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #26
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Personally, if Sam Raimi can't do the film (and PJ isn't going to rearrange his schedule), I agree that Del Toro would be another excellent choice.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #27
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Guillermo del Toro is another consideration if Raimi can't commit to The Hobbit. The look and feel of Pan's Labyrinth was really breathtaking. Perhaps del Toro could do the same from The Hobbit.
According to the link provided by Kitanna, here's a quote from del Toro about The Hobbit:

“I’ve heard some rumblings, but nothing official. I don’t want to think about it because it’s such an eventuality,” Guillermo del Toro told EW. “It’s the only Tolkien book I read. I tried my best to read the Lord of the Rings, the trilogy. I could not. I could not. They were very dense. And then one day, I bought The Hobbit. I read it and I loved it. So it would be a privilege. But listen, I wish I knew.”

Based on this, I may want to change my vote away from del Toro. Shouldn't being able to read (and appreciate) LOTR be a prerequisite for directing The Hobbit? Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Raimi, Burton, and others haven't even read LOTR either.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #28
sreeja

In my opinion Get Peter Jackson anyway, by hook or crook!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Tim Burton? Goodness gracious me, no! Lots of black make-up, just for the sake of it? Johnny Depp as Bilbo, or more likely Gandalf? And the inevitable created part for ol' Big Hair herself, Helena Bonham-Carter? Gollum, perhaps?

No thanks.

Also, Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth featured completely the wrong mood for the Hobbit, so I wouldn't trust him for this particular fantasy tale.

I'd prefer Kevin Costner, as director and to play the part of Gandalf.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #30
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
If Tim Burton's gonna be the director dont be surprised if Depp would be casted.
Sam Raimi is more like an action film director than a fantasy movie director.

I like the guy who directed the 3rd Harry Potter film and a 3D cartoonish movie would be a good idea since its a children's book. The movie should convey Bilbo's wonderment in seeing everything new in Middle Earth--> seeing Elves and Trolls for the first time.

Its a movie with a bit of humor in it too
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #31
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I think that none of these directors would be bad. I

Del Toro would be a very interesting choice. He has a great sense of the artistic. I am a bit worried about the darkness factor--I wouldn't mind seeing a darker Hobbit, not at all, but Pan's Labyrinth approached the pitch-dark, midnight type of deal, and while it was interesting, it was also painful to watch in a way that I don't think it is necessary for TH to be.

I like Peter Jackson. Just for the sake of contenuity, I want TH's Middle-earth to look and feel like the same Middle-earth of the three LOTR movies.

I also like Adamson's spirit. He seems to at least know how to conduct business in a very heavily effects-laden project, and I really enjoyed his Narnia. I think that he can handle more grown-up fare (Narnia gave me that impression), and I'd be curious to see what he made of Middle-earth.

Peter Weir wouldn't be an awful choice, though I don't know so much about him. I saw Master and Commander, but it really wasn't my type of movie at the time (I'd probably like it better, now), through no fault of his.

Tim Burton is probably not my first choice. His style is too much his own, and I feel like there's always an element of the stylized or unreal (or surreal) about his movies. Not a bad thing--I actually enjoy what I've seen of his work (though I've avoided Charlie and the Chocolate factory like a very special kind of plague)--but not quite right for Middle-earth. His Hobbit, like Del Toro's, would, at the very least, be visually interesting.

Raimi is ...meh. While they were hugely successful, the first two Spiderman movies weren't bad (I didn't bother with the third), but they also weren't great. They struck me as, I don't know, a little too mainstream and uncomplicated, or something. Perhaps that's unfair. I don't know what else I would have been expecting from a summer blockbuster. I think he has a passion for the project, and I like that he'd try to preserve PJ's style of Middle-earth. However, I just don't know if he has the artistry to carry it off.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #32
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

here is the latest on Del Toro from TORN

Quote:
TheOneRing.net reported here at the end of January that Guillermo del Toro was 99 percent sure to direct “The Hobbit”. Since then the Tolkien Estate filed a lawsuit against New Line Cinema (a copy of which can be found here) and the movie studio has been folded up and put in the pocket of its owner Warner Bros. and its bigger parent Time Warner Inc.

After all the speculation and angst, the director of two “Hellboy” films (the second set for a July 11 release) still seems to be the top choice for director and despite the legal uncertainty, the quiet movements by the key players seem to suggest the film will still be made and sooner rather than later. So in this season of waiting, TORn was finally able to contact the fan-friendly director.

“At this stage anything I say is of no consequence for I am not yet signed to do “The Hobbit.” Negotiations advance but are still ongoing,” he said.
The Mexican born director is busy however researching not only the Hobbit but the greater J.R.R. Tolkien library.

“All I can say is that I am diligently going through all Tolkien material related to Middle-earth but only as a way of bridging a gap in my reading. I still respond the strongest to “The Hobbit,” but as an avid reader of Mythology I find a lot of his other writings fascinating. A perfect Cosmology forged from very eclectic sources,” he said.
He described himself as a bibliophile and his study of Tolkien’s mythology fits in with his passion for myth.

“I bought my first book at age 4 and my last one, last week an original pamphlet edition of Calmet’s (Augustine Calmet) dissertation on Ghosts and vampires from the 18th century.”
The director embraces Internet communities and has his own fan site at www.Deltorofilms.com where he participates and corresponds with fans.

“It is my belief that your community will be a joy to be a part of, whether I do “The Hobbit,” or not,” he said.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #33
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdT
A perfect Cosmology forged from very eclectic sources
That's quite a positive observation, bodes well. He's into the mythological/fairie elements rather than the adventure aspect.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #34
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
El Hobbit Del Toro

More from the director on his Hobbit prospects here.

This is like the third mini-interview with Del Toro that I've seen in two weeks on the subject. At this point, I think it's all but a lock that he'll be at the helm. But sharpen your knives, haters! He says he'll be working with some version of Jackson's writing team.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #35
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well it does look like its all starting to come together... although a bit slower than you would otherwise think. Thanks for that update Mr. U.
Del Toro does say its a five year committment. Thats pretty significant.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #36
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
More from the director on his Hobbit prospects here.

This is like the third mini-interview with Del Toro that I've seen in two weeks on the subject. At this point, I think it's all but a lock that he'll be at the helm. But sharpen your knives, haters! He says he'll be working with some version of Jackson's writing team.
It will prove interesting to see if Del Toro's interest in the dark and disturbing aspects of fairy tales is brought out in his direction of TH or if Jackson's lighter fare of thrills and madcap adventure shows.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #37
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
When it was announced that PJ wouldn't direct, I said that if they hired someone like a Del Toro, they'd definitely get films that had the new director's stamp. Del Toro is no hack, and he's not going to spend five years of his life just executing PJ's vision. And to PJ's credit, I don't think he'd expect him to. He could have easily hired more of a "hard-hat" director the way Lucas did for Empire and Jedi. Not to say that Kershner or Marquand are hacks, but clearly Lucas's was the dominant vision there.

I figure there'll be an attempt to maintain a certain continuity between LotR and TH, but I expect that Del Toro will bring a healthy dose of Faerie to his vision.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #38
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

And that would be a good thing. I do not want to see cookie-cutter films. It would be great to have continuity in that the world of Middle-earth is the same visually and in design, the necessary actors are brought back, and the tone and feeling is more or less consistent. But to hire a talent like Del Toro and then not use his talents - that would be a waste of his abilities and a waste of the opportunity.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #39
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Terry Gilliam. Monty Python's Holy Grail, Brazil, Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Jabberwocky, The Fisher King, The Brothers Grimm, Time Bandits, Twelve Monkeys, etc....

Definitely more of an interesting choice for a fantasy than Tim Burton.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #40
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Terry Gilliam huh?

Yeah. I like. I like it a lot.

Gilliam is an intelligent filmmaker and visually gifted as well. Those forest-scenes in The Brothers Grimm were well tasty.