The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
Bain The Brave

Sting What do you do for ROTK?

ROTK is out in two Weeks. Yeah that's right two weeks! This is what I've been waiting for all year, And it's finally here! We LOTR geeks have been doing just about anything to celebrate. What do you do? I have a scrolling screensave roll across my monitor that say "Fifteen days until Return of the King." And I change it every day to fourteen thirteen etc. just as one of my things. Thanks. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I painted my toenails to say 'Frodo Lives'. When there are six more days (because that is the number of cheap plastic one rings I have (from the game)) I will be putting all of them on a chain and wearing it, then I will take one off every day.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Hey, kewl idea, Elennar! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm just listening to the soundtrack at every available moment... I think I'll paint "Frodo lives" on my nails too though; that's a great idea! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've painted 'I love Denethor' just about everywhere I can on my walls, notebooks, ceiling, hands, etc. I'm not doing much else... apart from spending an hour each day routinely going into each shop and ogling at the various Lotr merchandise. And it really is a routine. I'm practically in a trance, taking exactly the same path through the store, my head turning at the exact same moments...

Oh and I'm stocking up on newspapers. They're bringing out the Rotk freebies right now~ posters, magazine guides, etc. I buy 3 or 4 of each issue. Costs me a fortune, but it's worth it.

I like the toenail idea! I might join in.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I am getting a blond wig and going sword fighting with my friends in a field. I just hope no scared neighbourhood residents call the police!
Old 12-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #6
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Me? Well this week I have maths coursework to finish, am watching the EEs with my friend and am going to the Clothes Show Live...
Next week I have my panto on at the rink...
So I'm busy!!! Can't say the time is going by any quicker though...even though I still don't have enough time, and this blasted coursework is in for tomorrow...

EDIT: Just noticed Eomer's post...so is that Legolas you're dressing up as, Eomer, or Eomer? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 6:02 PM December 03, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]

EDIT 2: Hmm, it says 6:02pm...I wish! No it isn't, it's 10:45pm!!! I'm never going to be able to get this finished... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ 6:04 PM December 03, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 12-03-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

People like my toenail idea! YAY!

I didn't mention that on Dec. 17 I am wearing my elven dress to school.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:47 AM   #8
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I haven't been on here in a while!! Anyways,
I'm in the middle of making an elven dress right now, and last month I went into a local bookstore, got a piece of paper, wrote 'Frodo Lives!!' on it, and put it on top of the stack of Harry Potter books! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
That was fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 11:59 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

As Eomer, naturally. I seriously recommend sword fighting. It's great fun! Especially if you do it in the woods because then you can pretend that there are Ents with you.

You need an imagination of course! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 11:59 AM   #10
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I am getting a blond wig and going sword fighting with my friends in a field. I just hope no scared neighbourhood residents call the police!
I suppose it depends on what you're using for swords! The day after Halloween, I donned my entire Frodo outfit and went on my Walk to Rivendell route, passing some really confused country children, who were revving up their mini four-wheelers and shouting for some reason...

Swordfighting sounds good! I prefer a staff, though, and I carry a fighting jo (4 ft. staff) as a walking stick, just in case some lunatic decides he's going to try to kidnap me. If he gets through that, there's my folding knife, or even a blinding splash from my water bottle...plenty of limestone around too...heh heh! Can you tell I'm always on the lookout for things to use as defensive weapons? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Believe it or not, you can use a styrofoam cup or a credit card as a weapon, but I think this post has gone far enough off topic for now!

Back on track, I have had no time to think straight, much less costume myself, so its Frodo Baggins again for ROTK, if I can bear the bare feet in mid December! Still wearing my One Ring (my own, not that silly movie version!) around my neck on a chain. May put it back in its proper place when I reach Rivendell...haven't decided yet!

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. I desperately want to make a Gondorian armor T-shirt (black tee with silver seven stars, seven stones and one white tree on the front. Has anyone tried this successfully? Was thinking of using fabric paint.)

Edit:
Quote:
You need an imagination of course!
Not around here, Eomer! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Some of the trees around here look as if they could get up and walk about at any moment!

[ 1:03 PM December 04, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM   #11
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm getting a RotK advert and puttig it on a noticeboard at school.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:05 PM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
I'm wearing my new hobbit outfit on the 17th as well. The weird looks are just so much fun!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
If he gets through that, there's my folding knife, or even a blinding splash from my water bottle
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
kehe!
Old 12-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #14
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

Quote:
P.S. I desperately want to make a Gondorian armor T-shirt (black tee with silver seven stars, seven stones and one white tree on the front. Has anyone tried this successfully? Was thinking of using fabric paint.)
Lyta, I think I'm going to try that! But do you remembenr if the stars, stones, and tree come in any specific order? I think that would make an awesome t-shirt to begin with.

I'm not really doing anything crazy to celebrate the coming of ROTK . . . I'm just turning out with the rest of my school to watch the movie on the 19th, which is when school gets out. Last year my friends and I had an LOTR fest, when we tried to sit down and watch the EE version of FOTR and TTT straight through. We couldn't do it, though, because everyone had to go home eventually. Maybe we'll try again over Christmas break [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The furthest I got with the White Tree was painting it onto a shoebox. So I have experience with drawing the tree itself... but I haven't got round to making outfits. I was hoping to have a black dress with the tree on the front made by the 17th. Might still attempt it.
I think fabric paint sounds okay.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:47 PM   #16
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I have a scrolling screensave roll across my monitor that say "Fifteen days until Return of the King." And I change it every day to fourteen thirteen etc. just as one of my things.
So do I! I also have this little calendar thing on my computer that pops up and reminds me how many days are left (as if I didn't have it memorized already [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) I also write Aragorn's speech from the trailer on the back of my hand or
Quote:
There can be no triumph
without loss,
no victory
without suffering,
no freedom
without sacrifice
Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wearing my new hobbit outfit on the 17th as well. The weird looks are just so much fun!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'm going to wear my white Éowyn dress, and my little brother's going in his Frodo costume. 'Twill be quite fun! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #17
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'm going to be wearing my Easterling-spy costume to school that day. I'm even going to be giving myself one blind eye, with a fake scar slashed across it, and a really light blue contact, to make it look blind. It's going to be sooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:14 PM   #18
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is now a RotK poster on the top of my form rooms noticeboard. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Everybody knows it was me...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #19
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I painted my toenails to say 'Frodo Lives'.
Ha! Love it! Only I think I'll be putting it on my fingernails instead of my toenails. In fact, as soon as I get home from work - I'll start on it!

I'm listening to the soundtrack at every moment I can and bugging the heck out of all my friends.

I suppose I could wear my Eowyn costume to school... but I'm more of a "Don't draw attention to myself" kind of person. I think I may be putting on my fake One Rings though (checkers comes with tons of them!).

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:24 PM   #20
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For the 17th, I'm thinking of wearing the shirt I wore for Halloween, when I was dressed as an Elf.

Ah, yes! At the library yesterday, I saw a girl with a yellow sticky-note on her sweatshirt that said "13 days" (until "RotK" that is). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I love the toenail idea, Elennar! I might try it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit: And of course I'm listening to the soundtrack... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:26 PM December 05, 2003: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #21
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

some of these ideas are relly awsome!
I am not gonna be able to go to premire night, because I have finals that week.
also I have no friends who are obsessed with lotr! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] but i am draging my friends to the movies on friday anyway!
I want to make a shirt with frodo lives or aragorns speach from the tralier if I have time and will paint my tonails with frodo lives but not at school beacause i am a very shy person, know one would get it and Its agaisnt the uniform!
mabye I wall hand out lotr adverts and put them all over the school!
and I love the Idea of putting frodo lives on the hp books [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
my dream was to go dress up to the premire but again finals and my lack of lotr fan friends has made this dream impossible [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:06 PM   #22
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well what I am doing for ROTK right now is just preparing. I am currently trying to get my mother to finish my Eowyn gown (it is currently lacking a sleeve, and it needs to be hemmed) that I am planning to wear to the midnight showing and to a convention next week. I am also trying to find out how many people we know are actually comeing with us in our group (we currently have 7). I can't wait though, it is going to be such a fun night, but I do have to go to school the next day [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 03:32 PM   #23
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I have to finish my elven dress...

We have journals in my English class that we write in twice a week. At the top of each entry I have a RotK countdown [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Of course I already informed my teacher that I'm LotR obsessive [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] She has a cat named Smaug, but I don't think she's really much of a fan...
Old 12-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #24
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

At my work we have to dress up in a Christmas theme, but as it will be the week of Return of the King, I am clearly going to dress as an Elf.

Though I wanted to dress up for Hallowe'en but didn't know where to start. So in the end I didn't have a costume at all. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 08:55 PM   #25
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dűm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I am not doing much, just counting down the days on my calender. On the 17th I am going to wear my Legolas shirt to school and I might paint "Frodo Lives" on my toenail (Its a very good idea!) and I am definatly seeing it on the 17th with a 2 of my closest LOTR friends.
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:30 AM   #26
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ive painted a series of singlets with fabric paint with such logos as "Frodo Lives" "Gollum Rocks" "Legsie for Pres." "Grieve Haldir" "Sauron Sux" and my favourite (being the Éomer fangirl i am) "My Lord Éomer" that makes 6 in total. I wear them to work and ive been getting many compliments. I work at Supré right, so ive been bugging the manager to order Frodo Lives baby tee's. Have not been successful yet, but trying.

Oh yeah, ive also got a tape of every time LOTR has been on TV. The down side is it gets released Boxing Day in Australia. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:42 AM   #27
Firneldiel Of The Goldenwood

Shield

::
sadly, I am lacking in the "obsessive-LOTR-friends" department also, so I cannot say I am going to get a big group together. But I Will Make sure to wear my "frodo lives" T-shirt. ( i love the gondor sevenstars and the white tree idea for a T-shirt!!! sheer brilliance!!) I might wear my elf ears to school the 17.

GET EXCITED ROTK COMES OUT IN 10 DAYS!!! 8)
Old 12-07-2003, 09:23 AM   #28
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only thing I'm doing to prepare is re-reading the book, and checking by my friend's mum every time possible to see how her cloak-making is going. And also I behave in a generally hysterical way most of the time, especially when someone accidently mentions something that makes me think of RotK.
Quote:
I'm wearing my new hobbit outfit on the 17th as well. The weird looks are just so much fun!
What I love about my school is that I won't get any wierd looks when I do that exact same thing. I probably won't even be the only one [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #29
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think I must be living in some kind of vortex. Is there no one around me who is obsessed, or even *likes* the Lord of the Rings? No friends, no school people, no relatives, no one. No one to join me in the painting of my nails, the making of my white tree T-shirt, the watching of the extended DVD's? No? Looks like I'm on my own then...

*But seriously, loving the white tree idea!*
Old 12-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #30
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The furthest I got with the White Tree was painting it onto a shoebox. So I have experience with drawing the tree itself... but I haven't got round to making outfits.
Wow, Meela! You've gotten farther than me; this was a fancy in my little overworked brain, and I haven't yet even gotten to draw it out! I wish you luck on the black dress with the Gondorian emblem on it! (What I really want is Pippin's entire Gondorian armor outfit, but there's no way I'll have time to do that before the 17th!) I've still got to find a way to turn my husband into Boromir. We've got some arrows; thinking about sticking them into a thick overshirt and one through his head like Steve Martin... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. I found this on eBay:
White Tree of Gondor T-Shirt but the design is smaller than I would do mine ideally. This seller has other LOTR shirts and even one for "Dumbledore's Army!" Creative!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:53 AM December 07, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #31
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

I just finished painting my toenails with "Frodo Lives" on them. It was a great idea! I cant believe only 10 more days!!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:54 PM   #32
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I plan to have a big white banner that say "BILL THE PONY LIVES!" but thats just me.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:16 PM   #33
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Quote:
I plan to have a big white banner that say "BILL THE PONY LIVES!" but thats just me.
That is a really good idea lol
Old 12-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #34
Theoric Windcaller
Haunting Spirit

Theoric Windcaller has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's see... I am just going to sit back, get my homework done. Play my WWII video games and uh... wait for 11:45 P.M. to roll by to go to the movies. 8)
Old 12-08-2003, 07:47 PM   #35
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Sting

Quote:
I think I must be living in some kind of vortex. Is there no one around me who is obsessed, or even *likes* the Lord of the Rings? No friends, no school people, no relatives, no one. No one to join me in the painting of my nails, the making of my white tree T-shirt, the watching of the extended DVD's? No? Looks like I'm on my own then...
I feel your pain, I have no one to bond over the books or movies with. If I dressed up as an Elf in school I would just get a lot of blank stares and mostly be publicly embarassed... I'm dragging my one friend who loves me enough to go to the movie with me on the 17th... it's such a sad story eh?
Old 12-09-2003, 05:31 PM   #36
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Thankfully, most of my friends are really into the movies, and just a little into the books, so I still have company to take to the movies. Or perhaps they're just extremely patient people. That could explain why they put up with my constant jabber about the nuances of the relationship between Fëanor and Aragorn to my other LotR-obsessed friend.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:20 PM   #37
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

8 days!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #38
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wish I had an elven dress. Well, I'm just going to make due with a long sweater thing. It kinda of looks elvish. If I had a dress my cousin and uncle, whom I'm going with (if I can bring up my pre calc grade)would probably kill me. At least they would refuse to sit with me.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #39
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Less than a week left!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I am now preparing by watching every clip and feature of RotK that I can find. Check out the Support Group for RotK thread in "The Movies", particularly the 9th page, for some good links to movie clips!

Abedithon le,

Aranel, the Obvious Pippin Fancier
Old 12-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #40
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dűm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I too have been watching every video clip I can. I am also listening to The Steward of Gondor repeatedly for some odd reason. And to contain my excitement, I have been fiddling around with my replica of Sting, and pricking my finger on somewhat accident...