The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Somewhat OT: Movie wedding touches

My boyfriend and I are going to be married (heh, it's not "official" until he gets the chance to propose in a way he deems fitting, though everyone already knows, his ex-wife, who is a friend of ours, has given her blessing, location's picked out...), and I made a suggestion I thought he might laugh at. See, I suggested getting the Narsil letter opener to cut the cake with, and he rebutted that idea with getting the full sword to cut it with! How bad-*** would it be to be at a wedding and see someone pull out a 53" sword (or course it wouldn't be sharp for safety reasons, but will still cut cake) to start cutting cake? We are looking at this one (I know it's Anduril): http://www.noblecollection.com/catal...N2579&catid=17

We are also talking about using these goblets:
http://www.noblecollection.com/catal...N2635&catid=17

I'm going to design my wedding gown to have Elvish touches.

Back when he was still in Santa Barbara and I was in San Jose (a few hundred miles apart, I wanted him to have something from me he could keep with him, so I gave him my Nenya:
http://www.noblecollection.com/catal...N9174&catid=17

It was loose on my middle finger, but fit his ring finger perfectly. Now that we live together, it touches me that he still wears it, despite it being a feminine design. It clicked in a few nights ago that that's similar to Arwen giving Aragorn the Evenstar.

We aren't going to go with an actual theme of LotR, just to plant in some touches as a way to honor our geekiness. LotR has made an especially big impact on my life, and helped set us on the path to meet. So it seem fitting.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh dear. My first thought is that it would be rather silly to pull out a sword to cut the cake. I think a letter opener would be much better. The goblets look nice.

That is cool about the ring.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araréiel View Post
My boyfriend and I are going to be married (heh, it's not "official" until he gets the chance to propose in a way he deems fitting, though everyone already knows, his ex-wife, who is a friend of ours, has given her blessing, location's picked out...), and I made a suggestion I thought he might laugh at. See, I suggested getting the Narsil letter opener to cut the cake with, and he rebutted that idea with getting the full sword to cut it with! How bad-*** would it be to be at a wedding and see someone pull out a 53" sword (or course it wouldn't be sharp for safety reasons, but will still cut cake) to start cutting cake? We are looking at this one (I know it's Anduril): http://www.noblecollection.com/catal...N2579&catid=17

That's awesome!!! I hope my girlfriend thinks like you do when it comes to cake cutting and our wedding. Seriously, using a sword to cut the cake would be amazing. I'd do it. The letter opener is a bit boring. Go with the sword! Excellent idea.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Araréiel

We are insanely silly geeks who met on a tech forum in 2006 when Cody was still married. We were friends until last year. He and his ex split, and, eight months later, we ended up together. His ex is a good friend of ours.

Pulling our a sword would be a wonderfully over-the-top touch totally fitting for us.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Congratulations on getting married! Might I also suggest wedding costumes similar to those used in the coronation/wedding scene in ROTK? And for both your sakes, I hope this marriage will last for life.

Last edited by zxcvbn; 02-21-2008 at 04:49 AM.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
Araréiel

Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
Congratulations on getting married! Might I also suggest wedding costumes similar to those used in the coronation/wedding scene in ROTK? And for both your sakes, I hope this marriage will last for life.

Thanks! Hehe, we're still waiting to make it official though! it kind of is, our family and friends know we're getting married, but he wants to do the whole ring thing. I don't care, but he does.

We've got the stuff one one of the extra disks from RotK playing right now and it just past the costume section. It's be far easier to weave elements of Arwen's Coronation gown into my own wedding gown (I design) than elements of any of Aragorn's costumes into what Cody will wear. Possibly some wonderfully textured fabric could be turned into a vest, but that may be more Elven than ranger. There's plently of time, and next on my sewing agenda is reproducing Aragorn's Strider costume with the gray tunic from FotR versus the burgindy worn later. This repro will be in leathers wit correct stitching. My half will be Arwen's gray Chase outfit when she takes Frodo to Rivendell, in suede.

I LOVE the long, Elven style sleeves, and will probably wear the Evenstar.

The thing is we are both so seriously like this that no one will thing it out of place for us to incorporate things like this.

I've never before been able to see myself with one person when I'm 80. Not until Cody. My heart tells me this will last. Then again, if two people can't say that they truly believe that going into a marriage, should they really be doing it at all?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The sword! The sword!

Using a letter opener would look rubbish unless you were having a 7" Victoria sponge from Tesco However, be warned, repro swords are blunt (and heavy). I've got a full sized sword and a druid's sickle and both wouldn't be capable of cutting jam. You may end up ruining the fancy icing on an expensive wedding cake. You could get one sharpened just enough though? Or buy a real blade - my dad had a Napoleonic one complete with nicks where it probably cut some unfortunate Frenchmen down in the field.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Definitely the sword. And we all want to see pictures of this wedding, don't we, Downers?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Here's a great LotR quote for the wedding ceremony:
Quote:
'The Ring! The Ring! Put on the Ring!'
And yes, pictures are absolutely necessary!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
MaultheStoor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Heh, my boyfried and I are thinking of the same thing for our wedding. It's going to be a Wiccan wedding, so we thought we might as well go ahead and do the whole Elf theme.

See? You made him mad.
MaultheStoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
The sword! The sword!

Using a letter opener would look rubbish unless you were having a 7" Victoria sponge from Tesco However, be warned, repro swords are blunt (and heavy). I've got a full sized sword and a druid's sickle and both wouldn't be capable of cutting jam. You may end up ruining the fancy icing on an expensive wedding cake. You could get one sharpened just enough though? Or buy a real blade - my dad had a Napoleonic one complete with nicks where it probably cut some unfortunate Frenchmen down in the field.
It shouldn't be hard to get a sharpened version of any sword. It might however depend on the magazinge or company you buy from.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Congrats!

You should have the ring carrier person (Can't remember what the are called now) wear your rings around his neck, that is what I want to do for my wedding... If my future husband lets me anyway... (even though I still have five years to even think about getting married, considering that I'm only in middle school and don't have a boyfriend)
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Congrats!

You should have the ring carrier person (Can't remember what the are called now) wear your rings around his neck, that is what I want to do for my wedding... If my future husband lets me anyway... (even though I still have five years to even think about getting married, considering that I'm only in middle school and don't have a boyfriend)
Ring bearer?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
One thing though– better look up the laws on weapons in your area.