The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #561
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hello Pitch! Welcome! Nogs has created such a convivial setting for us here in the Great Hall...have a drink and make yourself comfortable...
Old 05-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #562
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
14 pages of thread? You folks are just as chattery as those outside.
At least we don't have Walls of Text. Well, not many.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #563
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
And yes...I want to know too...who is the Seer? Pitch, what do you think?
Old 05-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #564
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
You didn't see it? It's ++Brinniel.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #565
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Well, as of yesterDay, I obviously thought it was Rune, which is why I didn't want to lynch him. But Boro would have been my alternative candidate before his explanation toDay.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #566
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
You didn't see it? It's ++Brinniel.
I'd like to see your face if she actually was.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #567
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I'd like to see your face if she actually was.
Remind me at the end of the game, I'll spill the beans.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #568
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Boro is reminding me of a game where I was the Seer, pretending to be a cobbler-pretending-to-be-an-ordo-pretending-to-be-the-Seer-pretending-to-be-the-cobbler. The only reason that game worked out at all was because Shasta!Ranger had his psychic abilities on point.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #569
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Boro is reminding me of a game where I was the Seer, pretending to be a cobbler-pretending-to-be-an-ordo-pretending-to-be-the-Seer-pretending-to-be-the-cobbler. The only reason that game worked out at all was because Shasta!Ranger had his psychic abilities on point.
How the yotz did you even remember who you really were, and at which level of pretense you were posting at a given time?
(Also, if you're interested in expanding your expletive vocabulary you should watch Farscape.)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #570
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Blast from the past

Quote:
My best wolf life was the Cottage of Lost Play when I got everyone drunk. :evil:
OMG my first WW game ever and you totally flew under my radar until the last Day (I was long dead by then)!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #571
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchwife View Post
how the yotz did you even remember who you really were, and at which level of pretense you were posting at a given time?

Edit: it's not accepting caps again. Had to fix smiley.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #572
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
OMG my first WW game ever and you totally flew under my radar until the last Day (I was long dead by then)!
I think that was the first time I played with Lal. I got lynched, but my packmates won out.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #573
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Also Lommy, debacle =/= debate!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #574
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Eönwë is really going after Boro right now, and the question is, which one's right there? I kinda agree with Lottie on that Steve looks like he made a slip there. But my brain is so overcombined at this point that I'm very careful.

Whichever the case, I think one of them might go toDay.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #575
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
When I was unquarantined and would see new posts on this thread, I would tell myself you all were earnestly discussing the GT.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #576
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Also Lommy, debacle =/= debate!
I am sitting across the table from her, laughing at this, but I can't communicate this, no preciouss, that would be against the Rules!

So I will just go with laughing.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #577
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Eönwë is really going after Boro right now, and the question is, which one's right there? I kinda agree with Lottie on that Steve looks like he made a slip there. But my brain is so overcombined at this point that I'm very careful.

Whichever the case, I think one of them might go toDay.
I was really starting to worry about Steve yesterDay. If I recall, he did cast a key Huey vote, which is why I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #578
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
When I was unquarantined and would see new posts on this thread, I would tell myself you all were earnestly discussing the GT.
That's exactly what we wanted you to think.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #579
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
!"#¤%&/()(/&%%&

[censored] Boro!!!!

ARE

YOU

FREAKING

KIDDING

ME

Here I have sat like an IDIOT for DAYS thinking you're the seer and tearing my hair every time you made some "stupid slip" or defended me too openly or was "too obvious" like your last post yesterDay

and

I HAVE ALSO PROBABLY MADE MYSELF LOOK LIKE A FOOL bouncing around some fake suspicion of you while putting off actually considering your role "until the seer reveal, whether it's Boro, or if it's someone else I'm gonna look at him extra hard to make up for this" because I thought I'm being very clever "protecting the seer"

?????????????!!!!!!!!!!

I need to lie down. This werewolf game is my biggest fiasco in ages. Next Eönwë can tell me he's innocent and that will be the last nail to my fool's coffin.
This comes across as rather overly dramatic.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #580
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Well, we often did! It was maybe about 50-50. Or at least sometimes. At least as we are concerned, not speaking for Cobbler55 et al.

Quote:
I was really starting to worry about Steve yesterDay. If I recall, he did cast a key Huey vote, which is why I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, though Wolf-on-Wolf voting essentially had to happen at some point in this game, given the amount of Wolves. I guess the next lynched baddie may be important to help us determine what's going on. I kinda hope it to be soon. It could be Steve...
Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #581
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
This comes across as rather overly dramatic.
I think it's pretty dramatic but pretty genuine. Of course it may be a genuine Wolf frustrated at wondering about "Night kill or not to Night kill" for several Nights (although to be fair, Wolves probably should jump on even the possibility of getting a Seer asap).
Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #582
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Next Eönwë can tell me he's innocent and that will be the last nail to my fool's coffin.
I feel for her here.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #583
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Steve's getting in the thick of things now.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #584
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Regardless of whether Boro is telling the truth or not, I think it's likely the QT'ed innocents believed him to be the Seer. We could test that theory with having them follow Boro's vote again today, if we thought it mattered.
What would that really accomplish? And if he doesn't think it matters, why bring it up?
Old 05-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #585
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I mean if Boro is a wolf. Day 1 was between (as far as the wolves knew) 2 innocents.
And how do YOU know that?
Ye-haaah. Or was it bad interpunction? That's literally the one thing that can save him as explanation. If he isn't the Seer (sheesh, Ulmo protect us).

Quote:
What would that really accomplish? And if he doesn't think it matters, why bring it up?
Yeah, curious too. Makes no sense.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #586
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, so Steve explained himself the same way I expected him to. (Basically that the whole thing was under the umbrella of "assuming Boro is a Wolf and made a slip telling us whom he knows to be innocent".)

But unless he comes out as the Seer, I am still confused.

But! There is also truth to the fact that the village is running out of Days. Mislynch twice and it's bad. I'm wondering whether some bold Wolves (Boro-ishly?) might not be counting on that. If someone makes a false Seer claim under these circumstances (especially toMorrow!), it may cost us the Day we don't have. I hope the real Seer recognises this.

Anyway, I may need to go to sleep soon. But I hope those who are around will keep watch over the thread and ideally mull over any really important-looking posts or events.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #587
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lommy's hyperbole has me in stitches. :')
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #588
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand I volunteer to be Lommy's Infirmary Bar counterpart, sans censorship.

WHAT

IN

FREAKING

ARDA AND THE VOID

WHERE IN THE NAME OF ALL THE VALAR IS THIS SEER?????!!!!!???!?!!

Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #589
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
WHAT

IN

FREAKING

ARDA AND THE VOID

WHERE IN THE NAME OF ALL THE VALAR IS THIS SEER?????!!!!!???!?!!

It's Boro, he is just doing this "I am an Ordo who *pretended* to be a Seer" thing to save his bottom.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #590
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Or Brin. One of the Bs.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #591
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Popcorn with your poison, anyone?

Old 05-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #592
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
So, I hate typing on my phone so for now I'll just say: I think Boro is innocent - the way he's playing wouldn't pay off for a wolf - and Eonwe looks like a cornered wolf slipping bits of nightly conversation into the day. Like he thinks he's doomed, fellows are likely distancing from him ... But I'm just watching to see what develops
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #593
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, I sure feel like a fool now.

Trying to untangle this. If Boro is not a wolf, then how did the wolves know he's not the real seer? Did they miss his hints? It's seems like a number of people picked them up, so could a group of three people have been that oblivious? Seems unlikely. There must've been absolutely no doubt to them that Boro was bluffing, because if they had any doubt at all, they would've killed Boro at some point, since it's just not worth the risk for them.

The obvious answer is that Lommy and/or Brinn have to be a wolf, but is there anything else I'm missing? Because if I'm not, then there's a guaranteed wolf among Boro, Lommy, and Brinn. My gut feeling tells me that Lommy is innocent.

And what are we to do with Eonwe? He doesn't make too much sense, but he feels genuine to me. It doesn't give me cornered wolf vibes and some people's suspicions have a scapegoaty feel to me. Am I completely off here?

There are too many living people we haven't heard from yet, Brinniel most of all.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #594
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If Eonwe is a wolf and he's slipping that he knows that Lommy and Brinn are innocent, then Boro is a wolf.

Unless he's lying and he's actually a wolf together with Lommy and/or Brinn.

Am I making sense? I'm not sure whether I'm making sense anymore in this game...
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #595
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I was making a reply and halfway through I changed my mind about everyone.

Going back to reread some stuff (no, Lommy, you're not the only one rereading day 1 at this late date!)

Just - a couple of things that are different about this game:

1. Normally seers need to leave some kind of a trail in case they die. Now, the seer can basically speak from beyond the grave, meaning they're free to submarine completely, misdirect, whatever they need to do to survive.

2. Normally sacrificing two wolves in a wild plot to trap the seer would be foolish, but this pack has, basically, two spare wolves, and the seer is more dangerous than usual as in #1.

So with that in mind, to reread.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #596
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I don't know about you all, but I think anyone who posts massive walls of texts should be invited in here and taught the meaning of brevity.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #597
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Okay, so, I mentioned a couple days ago (for the latecomers, it was #265 in this thread) how Boro was interacting with G55 on day 1.

Okay, maybe I wasn't completely explicit about that because of an annoying insect buzzing in my ear at the time, but yeah. First Boro talks some nonsense prominently featuring the words "in-character" and "unconscious" and "nightmares" (translation: "hey, I'm not the seer but I play one on TV"?) and then mentions waiting for someone to cough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I'm surprised no one's coughed yet? I was waiting for the first person to cough. Not that coughing is a sure sign, if I cough it's my seasonal allergies. I will take an oath if I do cough, I will make sure I'm all clear and cough into my elbow. I was hoping someone would cough right out into the open, but that was too optimistic.
So yeah, you could, if you were a cobbler, read that as "wolftower calling major cobbler". And G55 responded with a fit of very conspicuous coughing.

(Seriously, I an never going to skim over Day 1 banter again)

Then she asks him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler55
Should we test you for viral encephalopathy?
and he replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I might need such a test. Whether we're aware, or in the unconscious, we all remain in-character. Agreed? And what do you glean from my in-character? Am I aware I'm doing it or is it in the unconscious? Leave that thought there for a moment.
Later, he mentions that cobblers are most useful when they sacrifice themselves and G55 instantly starts attacking me in a very attention-grabbing way. So, whatever he actually is, she certainly seemed convinced.

When I read all this a few days ago I interpreted it as a good Boro reeling in the cobbler but you can also read it straightforwardly, as a wolf making contact with a cobbler. And also note that Boro acted disappointed by the QT vote on day 2 ("not what I expected or hoped to see") which makes no sense whatsoever from an innocent Boro.

Not saying I'm convinced he's a wolf, but given the points in my last post I can see how he could be. Also, Eönwë's comment toDay about people who questioned Boro's seerishness getting night killed ... it was a good point. It also felt (like a lot of what Eönwë says, actually) like wolf-logic. I mean, yes, yes, you have to think like a wolf to catch wolves, I know, Mac, but thinking like a wolf is easiest and most natural to, you know, wolves, and a wolf-Eönwë sacrificing Boro as planned could very well point out (a select portion of) actual wolf strategy in the process.

{could even be a sample of genuine wolf strategy without a Boro wolf - if they knew Boro was not the seer because he was blatantly wrong about something. they could still have tried to pick up on seer reactions to him)

Now, voting for either Boro or Eönwë toDay feels way too risky to me at this point. Eönwë was also the counter-wagon to Lhuna, and if anyone is acting like a seer who dreamed wolf-Boro toDay, it would be him. One or both is a wolf, one or both could be the seer, either could be on the chopping block toDay and I don't like it.

Let's vote for Kath. Inzil's revenge!
Old 05-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #598
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

++Brinniel is still an option. It always has been.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:19 AM   #599
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

So many of the Lost Play players are here - it feels like we've put the band back together again!
I went back and skim-read the game - I'd forgotten about that hideous last day with the coin toss - Rikae, Nogs and me...

Anyway, Zil, have you seen Lommy's analysis of you? Do you think it's a fair appraisal and that it is highlighting everything that's relevant? I ask because I went over mine wondering if she was skimming over/omitting anything interesting and I couldn't find much, which to me kind of points to her innocence.
Wolves usually miss stuff out, particularly when the person being analysed isn't around to point out errors/omissions. (She did mess up her appraisal of me when I was still around and I jumped on it)
Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 AM   #600
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
As I might have mentioned yesterday, I don’t think I am capable of imagining a scenario where Eönwë isn’t a wolf.
Rune is my brother from another mother.