The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Melian & Galadriel... what was their relationship?

Was Melian the one that tought Galadriel the magic she knew?

Which was the power that Melian had when the Doriath event happened? Confusion? Is is the same nature of power as the one Galadriel used to keep Lorien safe?

Did Melian send something to Galadriel when Mithrandir came to M.E.? I read somewhere in these posts that Melian (or someone else) sent a stone, or an artifact, to aid Galadriel in the guarding of Lórien.

So?? Were Galadriel and Luthien students, at the same time, of Melian?
Old 03-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In Answer to your Questions,

Melian married Elu Thigol/Elwe who was the cousin of Olwe, who was the father of Earwen, Who was the wife of Finarfin, father of Galadriel. So she was Melians Husband's, cousin's, Daughter's, Daughter.

The Power that Melian had was the power that to Maia, though they did not all have the same type of power. Melian used it to defent Doriath with the girdle of Melian. Galadriel however used the ring, Nenya, one of the three, to guard Lorien from time and decay and evil.

Something was given to Galadriel by Gandalf/Mithrandir when he came from over the sea according to the unfinished tales. It was the Elessar that was later in turn given to Aragorn. But this was not the source of the power nor was it supposed to have been given by Melian.

whew...Mouthful. I hope this answers your question.
P.S. Galadriel did spend most of the First age in Doriath With Thingol and Melian. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Melian married Elu Thigol/Elwe who was the cousin of Olwe, who was the father of Earwen, Who was the wife of Finarfin, father of Galadriel. So she was Melians Husband's, cousin's, Daughter's, Daughter
Actually Elwe was the brother of Olwe, so Galadriel was Melians, husbands, brother's, daughter's daughter'. Or Melian was Galadriel's Great Aunt.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure so I put down cousin.