User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #641
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elwen had retreated back to her window after no one had replied to her question, to watch the setting of the last stars.

Elwen sighed and glanced around the room, the pub had spang back to life. The stars had all faded and now so must she. Elwen under curled her feet from beneath her and stepped, nimble and silent to the door. She pulled her cloak from the nearby peg and swang it round herself. Elwen pushed her dark hair in to place, running her fingers over the gems burning white and blue against the dark.

"Soronume said I had strength and now I must find it for myself." Elwen whispered half to herself. "But that can not be done here." With one last glance around the room she would not see again for along time. Elwen left the Green Dragon Inn. Walking quickly down the path, Elwen called to her white horse, Rochel. The gentle horse ran swiftly over, delighted to be on a journey again. Elwen swang up onto his back, no reins would the horse bare but Elwen knew he would never let her fall.

"We ride to find adventure and lost hope." Elwen whispered to the horse stroking his flank. "Noro lim Rochel, Noro lim."

Away she flew from the Inn never once looking back.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #642
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio waved to the exiting Elf, wondering if she would ever see her again. So many newcomers coming through the Shire, she mused. ‘I wonder if she’s heading West. With all these Elves that have found the Green Dragon, I hope that Cķrdan has brought a few extra ships for their transport.’

The babies were restless, and she moved into a more comfortable position on her chair. ‘No,’ she said to them, placing her hand protectively over them, ‘we are not bound for Valinor. Your ammė, has chosen another course for herself, and for you.’ They quieted at her thoughts, returning to their baby dreamings.

Rie had graciously offered to wake the guest in the stable, and Pio waved her on, grateful to be sitting with nothing to see to. Her survey of the room took in the figure of a weathered man seated near the other end of the hearth, talking with one of the other guests. Dark haired, green eyed, battle scarred. A sell-sword, she wondered. An Old One by the look of him. He seemed amused at the questions from the two that had approached him. Though now his features hinted at some darker thoughts.

He glanced her way, and she nodded her head to him in acknowledgement. ‘I should go speak with him. Be a good host.’ she thought. The warmth of the fire drove those thoughts from her head. ‘Let him come to me, if he wishes. Secrets are best waited for. Easier than trying to pry them out.’

Calling to a passing server, she took her pouch of Southern Star from off her belt. ‘Take this to that gentleman down there.’ She motioned with her chin. ‘See if he would like a pipeful of the Shire’s finest. Bring him a glass of Dorwinion wine, too. It will ease his troubles, though not banish them.’
Old 01-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #643
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** Notice of New Game Opening *****

Nurumaiel invites you to come to the discussion thread for the opening of her RPG - The Hobbit's Gift!

Read the description of the game, work up a character, and post it on the discussion thread.

Remember: All posts in the Shire must follow The Red Book of Westmarch Rulebook - so please read it if you intend to play in this game.

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #644
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria looked into the man's eyes and suddenly she understood. "I do not know much of mortal need and happiness, now I understand" Umbria Bowed her head.

"you are correct, I do have a gift of perception, whether I would call it a gift, rather than a curse, well, that is another matter" she smiled "there are many troubled men here"

She picked up the papers she had been writing in the elven script for hours and threw them into the fire. "do you have a name?" she asked.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #645
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Laurie shouted to be heard over the raucous baying of the hounds.

"I am come from the Green Dragon; Pio, the innkeeper sent me!"

A light lit in Farmer Maggot's eyes as he recognized the innkeeper's name.
"Down, Wolf! I said back, Fang!" He shouted and a glare from his shrewd eyes made them cease their barking. "Hallo, I'm Farmer Maggot though you seem to already know that. And what might be your name?"

Laurie steadied Nell and dismounted carefully, adjusting the folds of her dress. "My name is Laurie, and I am of Rohan." The lady in white smiled and made a cursy. "Pio sent me to aquire certain provisions for the inn."

"Fine, fine. And how is Pio?" Farmer Maggot began to walk up the lane towards a cozy, brick house, Wolf and Fang skulking behind. Laurie talked as she followed, leading Nell by the reins.
"She is doing very well, I believe. There have been an incredible number of guests at the inn of late, I myself only arrived last night. Pio has been running ragged tendng to them all, which is one of the reasons it has been arranged that I should help out for awhile."

The stout hobbit nodded sagely. "There have been many travelers on the road. And the Rangers have had trouble keeping the wild creatures in check. All this activity, and in the quiet Shire! Who knows what it may all forbode..." His voice trailed off and they walked in silence until they reached the house. Farmer Maggot beckoned to a young boy playing with yet another ferocious-looking dog.
"Come and hold Laurie's horse for her."
Farmer Maggot opened a wooden door set into the foundation of the house and Laurie followed him inside, ducking under the low doorframe.

It was dim and there was an earthy smell. "This is the larder," Maggot grunted. "What kinds of provisions did Pio say she needed?" Laurie listed off several items and the runsack she had taken from the saddle was soon bulging.

They emerged back into the light and Laurie threw the sack over her saddle. "Pio gave me coins to pay you with, or you could come to the Inn for a few meals instead." Farmer Maggot grinned but took the coins. "It has been busy here as well, it may be awhile before I am able to visit the Green Dragon again. It was nice meeting you, Laurie. Send my regards to Pio." Laurie curtsied once more before mounting Nell and thanking the hobbit child who had been holding her horse. She turned and cantered quickly down the lane and onto the road.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #646
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"I do not know much of mortal need and happiness, now I understand"
Do you? The weathered main thought with some bitterness, then quickly pushed the thought from his mind. She had touched a nerve without perhaps knowing it, but it was no fault of hers. Besides, apart from an occasional chat with a Ranger this was the longest conversation he had had in nearly a year. He nodded in agreement to her statement about troubled men and again fell into silence as she picked up several papers and threw them into the fire. He briefly glanced up to notice whom he assumed to be the Innkeeper looking in his direction. Hopefuly she did not regard him as a threat. Who am I kidding? he thought to himself in sudden black mirth as he looked around at the other patrons. She nodded towards him and he gave a rather weak attempt at a smile in return. He accepted the wine & pipeweed from the server who had just approached him with thanks. He typically preferred his own leaf but saw no need to kick an apparent act of kindness in the teeth. The wine was a welcome change however.

After a time the elf lady spoke again.

Quote:
"Do you have a name?"
When he replied it was in his typical manner.

"You may call me Awyrgan"

It was the name he had chosen for himself and the one he gave in the few situations it was required of him. He unconciously brought a hand up to his face, touching the strange scar. In doing so his cloak shifted, revealing a sword. The moment passed & he pulled his garmet back around himself, covering the glint of steel.

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-06-2003, 06:35 PM   #647
Brooke624

Sting

*A small blonde haired and blue eyed Hobbit walks into the town with a small bag next to her. She smiles to you as she places her little bag down.*
"Hello," she say in a solf voice. "I am Rosamunda Whitfoot from Whitfurrows. Thats just down the path a few paces. You can call me Rosa for short Rosamunda is a awful lot to remember."
*She straighten out her blue dress and then looks back to you.*

"As I said before I am new to town. I have read over you town rules (FAQ) and I seem to have a good understanding of who's who and whats what. however, i'm not sure how to work things or a good spot to go. Anyone know of a good hole thats up for sale? I think I might be spending some time here."

*She smiles and waits for an answer.*

Old 01-06-2003, 07:12 PM   #648
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

'Nice to meet you Rosa.I'm Beruthiel of Mirkwood, but you can call me Ruth, my name's quite a mouthful as well. I really can't help you with the hobbit holes, I've only been here one night. I can help you with some tea though, would you like some?' Ruth asked the newcomer. Rosa straigtened out her little blue dress and replied 'Thats alright thanks, lovely to meet you too. If you've only been here a night, what on earth are you doing pouring tea?.' Rosa had a worried look on her face, thinking that all the guests had to do chores at this inn.

'Well, miss Pio, the inn keeper here, asked me too and I owe her a favour since she let me stay here without question.' She said smiling at the young hobbit and easing Rosa's fears a little.

Ruth looked around the inn, an elf had just left and a man with green eyes was sitting hunched on the other side of the room. There was something about him that made Ruth take a second look. He had been through some rough times for sure, his weather stained cloak, muddy boots as well as a notched sword hanging at his side indicated so.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:18 PM   #649
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After Rie had given the plates to Pio and made sure that she was relaxing (she took her responsibility to carry out Nuru's orders quite seriously), she made her way out of the inn, stopping briefly to swipe a piece of toast from the kitchen. She ate it quickly, just to quiet her stomach.

"After this I'll get some breakfast," she promised herself.

The stable was not far off, and it took Rie hardly any time to get there. Finding the sleeping guest was another matter, though--and the fact that Rie felt compelled to look at every horse in the stable didn't help. But finally she found him, curled up in a corner and asleep.

"If it isn't our bard," Rie said softly, kneeling by the sleeping figure. "Sir?"

The man stirred, but seemed reluctant to awake. "Sir, it's ten, and you had asked to be woken in time to prepare for lunch. Would you like some more time to sleep? I could come back later."
Old 01-06-2003, 07:32 PM   #650
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle saw the newcomer,and overheard something about house hunting. She knew a few places that might be empty soon, as well as the stories behind them. She sat down as the newcomer straightened her dress.

"Hello,I'm Belle. There's a place that will be empty soon around Bagshot Row. The couple there,Marigold and Bari Maggot, want to move away from there. They're offering a bargain for the hole, but if you had their neighbors, well, you would too. But it's a very nice hole."

"Let's see. There's also a place on Girdley Island, but thats over on the Brandywine. Poor Crystal,at least I think that's what her name was, they said her son Hob, he's a Brandybuck you know, was playing with candles and set the whole hole on fire! They're selling it now and getting a smaller house.

"If you want a place closer to here though, my friend Rowan said that her cousin Marroc decided to move into his wife's house in Oatbarten. He has a place near here in Frogmorten he's selling, though why he would do that and go that far north for a Boffin, I don't know, but thats your best choice there"

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: excheeto ]

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:09 PM   #651
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Well!" said Nuru, sighing. "Breakfast is almost taken care of. Just one more platter of eggs to make, and then... I'm done! Until lunch, that is. Why am I even working here?" she added with a little groan, though not actually meaning it. There was nothing she'd rather be doing than helping Pio and the other innkeepers out in their busy job.

Just then a small head covered with brown curls appeared at the side of the door. "Is this a kitchen?" said a voice.

"Why, yes, it is," said Nuru, quite surprised.

"Good." A hobbit girl, looking no more than ten years of age, walked into the kitchen and approached Nurumaiel. "I'd like something to eat, please."

"All right," said Nuru, "but what's a young girl like yourself doing at an inn?"

"Is there anything wrong with it?" the girl said, looking defiant.

"That's up to your parents, I suppose," said Nuru. "But if I had a girl of your age I certainly wouldn't let her in an inn that can sometimes be dangerous."

"Well, I haven't any parents," said the hobbit girl. "And I'm not afraid of any danger. What kind of danger do you have here, anyway?"

"To tell you the truth, we don't have that much danger, though one man here came back pretty hurt."

The girl ignored that comment from Nuru and said, "I'd like some breakfast, please."

"First tell me your name," said Nuru in a demanding voice, but her eyes were sparkling.

"I don't need to tell you my name, because you're laughing inside and would give me breakfast anyway, but my name is Donnamira, though most just call me Don."

"Well, Don, here's your breakfast. But stay here in the kitchen. I don't know how safe it is for a girl of your young age in the common room."

"I could go out into the common room if I wanted to, but since you asked me not to I guess you won't." There was a pause, as if the girl was thinking over what she had just said. "Actually, if I had wanted to go to the common room I'd go whether you asked or not. But you seem nice enough so I'll just stay here."

Nuru was rather surprised at how rebellious this child was. A regular little queen, she thought. But what can I expect, her not being raised by anyone? After things quiet down here I'll see if I can get anything more out of her. For some reason I think Rie is going to get along really well with this young girl. It just seems like she's the type of girl Rie'd like... and Rie's the type of person Don would like.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #652
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Umbria looked out a window, thinking about her kinsman who was to meet her in the Green Dragon. She spoke again "It does seem like we are waiting a long time during these passing days".

She looked into the fire where her papers were burning. "it took me 30 hours to write those documents, but in all ends they are not worth reading" She took from her napsack a map and started glazing over it. Suddenly she looked up in realization "Im famished, come to think of it I have not eaten in almost a week, how could that possibly happen?"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-06-2003, 10:01 PM   #653
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Quote:
"It does seem like we are waiting a long time during these passing days."
"My life has been more one of wandering than waiting," Awyrgan remarked. "Yet I know how it is to devote much energy to a task only to have it come to naught."

"You are well travelled yourself I asume?" He inquired.

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #654
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Oh well I see that breakfast is almost over,"said Belladona, " But I'll tell ya what, Let me stay a night tonight at the inn tonight an I'll help you do lunch, dinner and tomorrows breakfast!" Can you do that lass?" She said to Nuru in a small cheery voice. "Oh it looks like we've one got more coming in." Dona smiled at the young hobbit that walked through the door and right up to the bar. She listened to the converstion the youngin had with Nuru. " She reminds me a bit of me when I was a wee lass," Dona whispered to herself. " Nuru Lunch won't be for a while I'll watch over this young spark for ya." She said it low and hushed so as not to make the young hobbit lass feel like she was being mothered. " Just holler for me when you need some help."

Dona walked behind the little one as she picked a table. "Ya mind if I have a seat?"
Dona said to the girl. The girl said nothing.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:22 AM   #655
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio sat back in her chair, her eyes cast down low, gazing, it appeared, into the depths of her mug. From beneath her long dark lashes, her eyes tracked the movements of the scar-faced man. She had watched him as he reached to touch the scar. His cloak had shifted and the glint of his blade caught the light for a brief moment.

The Elf rubbed the back of her neck, wishing that all bladed trouble would pass the Inn on by. Rising to her feet, she went to the back room, behind the bar, and found a small unopened bottle of choice, red wine from the Southern lands. Wiping the dust from the bottle, she opened it and brought it, two extra glasses, and a plate of sliced fruit to the table where he sat talking with Umbria.

‘I have been remiss in my duties as a good host.’ she said, placing the plate of fruit between the two. A clean glass she placed in front of the Elf. ‘Welcome to our peaceful establishment.’ She smiled at both of them. ‘My name is Piosenniel, innkeeper for the while as you can see.’

She poured a glass of wine for the Elf and another for the man. The last glass was for her and she poured only a small amount of the blood red liquid into it, cutting it with water. It was redolent of grapes and plums,wild berries and the darker tastes of the wooded barrels in which it had been made.

Pio drank to the continued good health of the two before her, and sat her glass carefully on the table. Her right hand reached beneath the sleeve of her tunic, and with a soft snick! the double edged knife slid out from the scabbard on her forearm. Daintily hoisting a slice of Winter’s apple on the blade’s sharp point she offered it to the surprised Elf, who declined it.

‘And you, good sir,’ she said offering the piece to him, ‘do you care to try a tasty treat from off my blade?’
Old 01-07-2003, 01:46 AM   #656
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Umbria sat before Piosenniel and Awyrgan. She thanked the innkeeper before answering the traveler

"Well yes, I have traveled all over Middle- earth, My mother is kinswoman to Celeborn of Lorien, my father, a Guard of king Thranduial. I myself was born in Lothlorien. Many years I have been travelling and documenting and passing advice to the Prince of Dol Amroth."

She looked uneasy "This well explains my garb." she gestured to her elaborate and grand elven dress "Not something you would expect a traveller to wear?" she smiled.

"I am waiting here for word from my kinsman on certain matters, but he has been two days late."

Umbria turned to Piosenniel "How does an Elf come to be in the Shire?"

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #657
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Quote:
‘My name is Piosenniel, innkeeper for the while as you can see.’
Awyrgan thanked her for the wine. It was better than his last glass, all the same he was glad she had watered it down. This would be his last for the day before he grew soft and lost the edge that kept him going.

With a deft move the elf drew a well-made knife from her tunic, picked up a piece of apple, and offered it Umbria who appeared a bit startled and declined. Turning to Awygan she offered it to him in turn.

Quote:
‘And you, good sir,’ she said offering the piece to him, ‘do you care to try a tasty treat from off my blade?’
Two can play at that game.

He quietly slid one of his own knives from his boot & then quickly took the apple from the Innkeeper's.

I am no elf but neither am I the slow old man I appear to be he thought, noting with some grim satisfaction he was still swift & keen in his movements. Whether the Innkeeper was surprised or amused was difficult to tell.

"So long as I am not required to eat the blade along with the treat." He then ate the slice off of the blade. Quickly as it had appeared the knife was again hidden. He paused, chewing, as if deep in thought. "It would be a waste of a fine knife."

He saw her instictively place her hand over her stomach and for a time it brought back unpleasent memories and a brief shadow passed over his face. He hoped she did not notice; his troubles were his concern alone and he would not burden others with them.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #658
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Now stirring to wake he heard a voice"Sir its ten O' clock."His eyes now opened.

"Good moring Rie Aw grrah."He said yawning.

"Never sleep in a hey loft.You'll end up smelling like horses."He now said with a smile.

She seemed to chuckel at this greeting.Now helping him up out of the hey.He steadyed himself with here.He streched out and looked up.

"Well now for a shower and some food.That would start things off well."He was still yawning off the sleep.

"Now lets get back to the inn.Oh and thank you for waking me."

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-07-2003, 11:27 AM   #659
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Don glared at Belladona and demanded, "What's your name?"

"Belladona, but most just call me Dona."

"Well, you better not talk to me or hang around me or people will get us mixed up. That's because everybody calls me Don." The girl glared even harder.

Nuru sighed and winked at Dona. Don glared at her and said, "You better not wink because I can see you doing it."

Nuru and Dona exchanged looks, and the Elf wondered when Rie would be coming back. She would definitely know how to handle this rascally hobbit girl.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #660
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

So, it is as I suspected. He is as well armed as I. And as suspicious of others' motives.

She placed her hand on her belly, quieting the movements that had stirred at her thoughts.

Pio sat down, resheathing her blade, and faced the man. 'Let me speak plainly here, Sir. I mean to keep the peace within these walls and the outer courtyard. What other concerns you have are not my business.' She leaned close to him, watching the shadows play across his face. 'I have lived long enough to understand when darkness eats you, the shadowed wraiths of despair and anger creep out at times. And actions done when they appear are oft regretted in a clearer light. You are welcome here, as are any who seek shelter and a safe place before the storms of life drive you on. Just keep yourself in check.'

She smiled at him, for the benefit of the other customers. A cold smile which did not reach her eyes. Pio stood, giving a curt nod to Umbria, and returned to her place by the fire.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:45 PM   #661
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

A Dwarf, looking close to middle aged but retaining youthful strength, ambled along the dusty path. He wore a light brown tunic, a traveler's cap and a grey cloak which partially covered the glint that shone off his mail coat.

Walking at a slow, but steady pace (as is the manner with dwarves), and carrying a hefty single edged axe over his shoulder, the dwarf approached the sign hanging outside a large building. It read: The Green Dragon Inn "This looks like a good place to stop and hae a drink, before I'm on my way," declared the dwarf in his rich baretone voice; to no one in particular (in fact, the yard around him was empty). With that, he proceeded through the door of the inn.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #662
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

She smiles, but eyes show more than words oft tell or so it said. At least she speaks directly, a rare occurance in the life of one as travled as myself

He sighed, and mulled over her words thoughtfully with some respect.

Quote:
...before the storms of life drive you on.
Aye, the storms of life. But my storm is inside me; no external forces or purposes power me forward, I am driven by my own lack of design. She sees this clearer than most. A smile has many meanings or I am a fool. Which I am not.

"Of course, m'lady."

He returned her smile in kind, but his eyes flashed slightly. I keep myself in check as I desire, was the silent reaction in his face.

Yet here I will be as an old man by the fireplace, and let my mind wanter from my body. Then I will depart on my ways for a place where my skills are needed. Much talk is abroad of strange folk these days, and the birds and the trees speak as clearly to me as any man can. Mayhaps I will go to the Rangers, for they understand me better than most and always have use for a tracker or swordsman. They have accepted me in the past.

He sat again in silence like a great dark statue, watching his shadow dance in the flames as dark shadows danced in his heart.

He looked up slightly to notice the door open and a dwarf walked in. Ah, a dwarf. We shall see how the elves keep themselves 'in check.' A fool to carry a weapon openly. He grinned slightly, and then refocused his attention on filling his pipe. Lighting it, he watched the smoke curl above his head and rise towards the ceiling. Smoke rises. A symbol of death. To many times...

Old 01-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #663
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Nell's hooves beat a steady rhythm on the ground as she cantered along. Laurie allowed her to stretch out, lengthening her stride, and quickly eating up the road before them. It was but a short time till a long, thin curl of smoke alerted Laurie that they had arrived at the stone inn. She slowed Nell to a trot and dismounted a short ways from the door.

Laurie led Nell into the stables, took her tack off, and gave her another small sugar cube from the folds of her white dress. She grabbed the bulging runsack and entered into the Green Dragon once more. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust from the bright sunlight to the dimmer atmosphere of the inn. Laurie spotted Pio sitting with an elf and the man she had seen earlier; she threaded her way between the tables and groups of customers over to where they sat. Her eyes flitted from the man sitting rather sternly, lost in his thoughts, to Pio who was watching him carefully. She thought it almost seemed tense, but broke the silence that hung in the air.

"Pio, would you like me to take this to the kitchen? Farmer Maggot sends his regards," she added with a smile.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:04 PM   #664
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dūm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Harenthiel had been awake for quite some time, prefering to remain in her room for awhile. But she grew hungry and decided to get some breakfast.

She walked downstairs, noticing that there were many more hobbits at the inn than yesterday. She walked over to the bar and asked for some food. She smiled as the food was brought to her, she was in quite a better mood than the night before.

She sat at a table by the door for some time, enjoying the the breakfast, and watching people come in and out. She would soon be leaving for Mirkwood.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:12 PM   #665
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali, the dwarf, hung his axe on a rack near the door, and continued into the room. He looked around the large inn, noticing the diversity in the race of the many patrons sitting, talking, singing and dinning, some merry, some sad, some angry, and some deep in thought. His eyes strayed to the elf talking to an old, tired-looking man sitting at a table with a guest Bali could not get a good look at.

The elf turned away and moved back to the fire,where she sat. Bali turned his attention to her. An elf. There are many of them here. I wonder if any dwarves are around. Anyway, I must find the innkeeper. I need a place to stay. Straightening his tunic and cape, the dwarf headed across the room and found a seat, close to the fire.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:17 PM   #666
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipperin sat humming as she ate, enjoying every bite. She soon finished and asked for more, glad it was something different than her mothers cooking.

She looked down at her dress noticing that it was quite muddy."Oh, where is Estella when you need her? I dont think I brought very much, though perhaps Merrigold will share." She smiled and went back to her food.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #667
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Sting

As the young hobbit ripped at Dona with her words she noted that this child had seen harder times than some of Hobbits in their full adulthood. Dona mused at the fact she had noticed her winking, even as she ate her meal.

Dona's eyebeows raised and a half grin mixed with a hint amusement spread across her face.

" You know Don,you are not so childlike as one should think. Life isn't always as it seems," Dona said with a look of sincere pity on her face. "But I will not bother you about that you now, I must go see if Nuru needs some help."

And with a kind smile Dona quickly walked back to Nuru.

" My gosh what has aged this child so quickly?" Dona asked Nuru.

" What could possibly be going on in the world that a child must fend for themselves just as well as an adult could." Dona said to Nuru. And right after she said it, there was a loud thump, and the room got quiet. In the door way stood a dwarf. Not just a dwarf but an armed dwarf!

Dona whispered in a low defensive tone.

" Thats why Youngins have to grow up so fast, every one walking around bearin arms all the time, you'd think there was a war goin' on over yonder hill."

Nuru said nothing in response to Dona's comment, she just looked at the Dwarf with a loss for words.

Now Belladona was just as headstrong as her name was and was not afraid of much at all. But she knew that in the company of Elves, Dwarves were not so welcomed by them, and from the look on the dwarfs face he wasn't so comfortable either.

Dona whispered with a smile " Nuru, " I'll get this one."

The dwarf hung his axe up and took a seat close to the fire. Dona slowly approached him.

"Hullo there handsome,can I get you something?" she said smiling at the dwarf. She tried to take the edge off by approaching him first.

He was somewhat taller than she,aven though he was sitting. He wore a light brown tunic that was dusty and a grey cloak that he tried to hide his armour with,but the glow of it shone right through the cloth.

"Whats your name?" Dona said to him. He stood there looking at her with a loss for words.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna Kementari ]
Old 01-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #668
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Umbria continued talking, as though recalling some long off memory "yes" slowly she began

"Dol Amroth" she paused "In the south though I am called The Everdawn, Ever because of my immortality, and Dawn, because of when I arrived in the south. But I have long since gone from there, to the dismay of the prince."

Though she was facing away from the dwarf, Umbria, quickly turned to look at Awyrgan "Dwarf!" she looked deeply troubled and turned to look in the direction the dwarf was. "I have had too many ill frays with this race"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-07-2003, 03:51 PM   #669
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Quote:
"Whats your name?"
Bali was quite taken aback at how quickly someone had waited on him. The innkeeper must be proud of their helpers, he thought. Regaining his composure, the dwarf stood, bowing low and sweeping off his hat in a polite fashion. "Bali, at your service, mad'am. My sincere thanks for your quick attention, I'm fair parched. Might you have a little fresh beer in stock? I'm not too picky about the type." Here he chuckled over an old memory which he said nothing about.

Of course, Dona offered to get him some right away. She looked slightly relived that he was friendly. Another common misconception about dwarves. Everyone thinks that we're bad tempered! (Although it's not entirely untrue) "Thank ye kindly, mad'am. And what might be your name, pretty young lady?" Bali inquired.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]

Old 01-07-2003, 03:52 PM   #670
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Umbria's sudden outburst prodded Awyrgan from his trancelike state and he gave a short bitter laugh that seemed to surprise both her and himself.

"Ah, I believe I top you there - I have had many ill frays with all races and they with me."

She looked at him and he continued in his slow fashion. "But as of yet I have had no conflicts with the people of Dol Amroth. I travelled there once under a different name several years ago; many of my few pleasent memories are from my stay there." He paused, as if to speak but instead fell into a stony silence once again and would say no more. He was getting hungry and was debating whether to approach a server about a meal or to just go outside and kill something. Deciding finally upon neither he continued to sit and smoke.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #671
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Umbria smiled..."many fond memmories" she looked for many a while at the Dwarf who had entered..

Then in through the front doors entered a tall fair man, hair of brown and eyes of blue, dressed in the habit of the guards of Dol Amroth. Suddenly Umbria was struck down with fear, for this was not her kinsman.

"Bebberyn" she said quietly as he approached her and Awyrgan. Bebberyn stopped short and bowed deeply to Umbria "The Lady Everdawn" he said "I have news of the prince and that of Niquinion."

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-07-2003, 06:53 PM   #672
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Rie walked back to the Inn with Eruantalon, chatting idly and trying to ignore her stomach's none-too-subtle reminders of her lack of breakfast. As soon as they came to the door she took her leave of the man and went straight to the kitchen, not bothering to do it quietly.

"Nuru, I'm about to pass out. Is there anything to do right now, or can I have something to eat?" Rie asked dramatically, hanging her cloak on a hook and tying her apron back on. She didn't wait for Nuru to respond before she nabbed another piece of toast and a piece of bacon to quiet her stomach. "Sorry I took so long, I had to go wake a guest in the stables," she said, now talking just for the fun of it. "It was the bard who sang that wonderful song, remember it? Sleeping with the horses! I can't fathom why, but I guess it's none of my business. Oh, I feel better now. Is there work to be done?" She looked up at Nuru, and laughed. "Or maybe I should give you a chance to speak?"
Old 01-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #673
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dona curtsied as Bali bowed to her.
" At my service?" She said. "Mayhap tomorow will tell," she said. " For now let me be at your service."

" My name is Belladona Headstrong, but you may call me Dona." She said with a smile.

She turned around and went to get him some ale. She returned quickly with a pint.
Oh thank you so much!! He said with a kind smile. "I have not had a drink in quite some while." Bali drank the first pint with amazing speed. While he drank it dripped down the front of his brown braided beard. Dona chuckled a little at how fast he drank.

He was actually kind of handsome and looked amazingly young aside from his age.

"Oh that was great," he said slowly with a deep baratone voice.

"Oh could I please have another ma'dam?"

She was quite taken back by his kindness.

" You really take care of your guests don't you." Bali said with a smile.

" I don't actually work here but I've noticed some of the ladies are very hurried and they seem to be short handed today. I was just passing through but I figured I stay a night before I'm off again,so I figured why not be a help while I'm here. To mention it I haven't even met the Inn Keeper yet," she said chuckling.

Dona spoke to the dwarf as if he were a close friend to make him feel comfortable among all the elves. Though the elves didn't seem to bother him.

"I'll be right back with your Ale kind sir."

Dona walked back to the bar and asked if Nuru if she needed any more help.

She notice another person standing be side Nuru. Dona politley courtsied to her.

" Hullo, I'm Belladona Headstrong, but you may call me Dona," smiling Dona asked "and what is your name ma'am?"

As she asked her name, a man clad in garb she had never seen before entered the inn and her blood ran cold.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:32 PM   #674
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Awyrgan sat in the corner as a man clad in the garb of the South entered the Inn and made for Umbria. He noted her reaction as she spoke the man's name and he bowed. He did not hear the words which passed between them but clearly she was troubled.

Having neither been acknowledged by the stranger or acknowledged him the bright-eyed man continued to brood in the darkness and watched to see where the twos' conversation would lead. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the Innkeeper watching him. Like a shepard protecting their sheep, he observed. I am a wolf but these here are not my prey.

Old 01-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #675
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was around noon. Barodir had to leave now, or he'd never make it in time.

He stood up, without saying a word and left out the door. He got his horse and took off down the road the way Pio told him to.

"I wonder if I shall ever return to this fair establishment?" he pondered. "I must stay focused though. I must return to Minas Tirith in time!"

And with that, he rode away over the hill and out of the Shire.

Barodir's story shall continue, after I get a good idea of what to do. Maybe he'll return in a few "days". We shall see...
Old 01-07-2003, 10:24 PM   #676
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Quote:
"Hullo, I'm Belladona Headstrong, but you may call me Dona...and what is your name ma'am?"
"Mm--" Rie blushed and held up her hand, motioning for Dona to wait a moment while she swallowed her toast. Then she laughed apologetically. "I'm sorry! My name is Talmériė, but everyone calls me Rie. It's a pleasure to meet you, Dona."

Rie then turned to look at a young hobbit lass who she hadn't noticed before. She exchanged a quick look with Nuru that told her everything she needed to know--she had seen the same look on her mother's face when speaking with friends about Rie and Talōmi. She pushed a lock of red hair behind her ear, and dove in headfist. "Greetings, young kali! My name is Rie. What's yours?"
Old 01-07-2003, 10:45 PM   #677
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle spun in her seat as the inn door crashed open.Standing at the doorway was a grimacing Esmerelda Proudfoot,the eldest of her seven sisters.She turned her head away from the door and bent down,hoping to shrink out of the room,or at least,out of Essy's sight.Her sisters eyes seemed to burn into her back,and the inn felt somewhat quieter.

"BELLE PROUDFOOT!"Essy roared into the inn,"DON'T EVEN TRY TO HIDE!WE'VE BEEN RUNNING AROUND THE WHOLE SHIRE FOR YOU!NOW GET OVER HERE THIS INSTANT!".Belle slowly turned around and froze,aware of the now compleate silence in the room.Essy pointed a finger at her,motioning her to come towards her before pointing to the ground in front of her."Don't make me get Prissy after you"Essy said in a low,dark tone.

Belle stayed frozen until her wits began to come back.She closed her eyes and started to scream."AAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIII".She heard the thud thud thud of Essy's feet and in an instant,found her own hurrying her under a table.
"Don't make this any more difficult than it already is"Essy said,looking under tables."I was having fun here!I don't wanna go home!"Belle shouted,but she had been crawling behind guests cloaks and skirts to reach other tables to hide under,and her shouting had given her away.She heard her sisters footsteps as they came closer to her table,and,in a panic,darted out from under the tablecloth to make a run for it.

Esmerelda,accustomed to Belle's tricks,knocked her out of her path,grabbing her legs and tackling Belle to the ground.

"I'm sorry"Essy said,looking at the staring guests,"she doesn't have much sense sometimes,and why she would come here OW!STOP KICKING! I could only *MMFF* guess,I apologize for the disturbance".With this,she unfastened her cloak,rolling a protesting Belle before wrapping it around her and carrying her out of the inn like a sack of potatoes."You'll never get away from the dishes"she whispered as Belle gave a kick.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:39 PM   #678
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Don turned to Rie and said, "Donnamira, but you can call me Don. Or, actually, you can't. You can't even talk to me. I'm tired of all these ladies hanging around me."

Nuru looked at Rie with her eyebrows raised. This child was very odd.

"Well, don't you think we might get tired of you hanging around?" asked Rie. "After all, you're also a lady."

Don looked taken aback for a moment, but then said, "I'm not a lady. Ladies always wear pretty dresses and brush their hair all the time and spend their time trying to make themselves more beautiful. Like you-" she glared at Nuru "-but I don't!"

"Who said I do all you have accused me of?" Nuru demanded in a mock stern voice.

"Well, see how pretty you look-" here Nuru blushed "-and don't talk in a voice like that. I know you're pretending."

Rie, Nuru, and Dona all looked at each other, and the first of the three said, "Well, there'll be some time until lunch. Maybe we can all take a break, and try to get some more out of this child."

"You needn't try, because you won't," said Don, but the three were determined to learn more about her and what made her act the way she did.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:47 AM   #679
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio called for one of the servers to put the supplies from Farmer Maggot away in the pantry and the cooler, and bade Laurie take a seat with her. 'I have not seen the Old Man for a long time,' she said, 'though knowing him, he knows all about my comings and goings.' She laughed, thinking of the sunburnt famer with dirt beneath his nails. A plain, honest looking man, but crafty and wise as the day is long. 'Keeps his ear close to the ground, that one. And his nose to the breezes.'

'Tell me, did you enjoy the ride? It's nice to get out isn't it? Fresh air, and the sound of hooves striking against the roadway.' Pio poured a cup of sweet-spice tea for the woman. She poured a little more into her own cup, then sat back and let her eyes sweep the room.

Some few moments passed in desultory conversation. Pio nodded at Laurie's talk and smiled, though her mind was for the most part preoccupied - watching the actions and interactions of the new guests and the old.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:08 AM   #680
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Bebberyn kneeled before Umbria... "Lady Everdawn, your kinsman, Niquinion hath been slain in his journey. Slain by orcs of the south."

Umbria's head bowed and she nodded. "I feared so..." Bebberyn looked into her eyes, "there is more... The prince, he wishes you to return to Dol Amroth."

To this Umbria was assertive. "I will no sooner return to the realm of Gondor, then I will long to stay in the north!" Bebberyn bowed "yes m'mady."

Umbria stood up and walked to a window and peered out. Bebberyn followed after her. "You must understand Bebberyn, I have spent so much time in the south, trying to out-run my troubles, it makes no difference, immortality is my curse!"

she returned to her seat. "Bebberyn, I wish for you to meet this man, a traveller by the name of Awyrgan." Bebberyn looked surprised, "perhaps we have met before?" Bebberyn stood at Umbria's side. "I take it that the Lady Everdawn will not return to the Realm of Gondor as the prince wishes?"

She paused... "no Bebberyn". With that Bebberyn nodded at Awrygan and left. " I shall return in a few days, maybe then you will change your mind!"

Umbria was quiet and closed her eyes, a single tear ran from her cheek. "And so it has begun..."

~My lord, Éomer~