The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
elvet
Pile O'Bones

elvet has just left Hobbiton.
The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug support thread.

Because there are so many negative comments here about the movies, I thought I'd start a positive thread where Tolkien and Jackson fans can talk about the great reviews this movie is getting and the excitement building up to the movie's release. I've had my tickets prepurchased for 2 weeks now. I'm going to see it on IMAX this Friday and again on Sunday.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I have no plan to see the movie, but I think it's noteworthy in itself that you make the distinction between "Tolkien" and "Jackson" fans. If PJ had just changed all the characters' names, that, along with the script changes in LOTR and TH could have given him his blockbuster films without angering us horrid, close-minded "Tolkienistas" at all.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I usually regard reviews of films that come out before the movie hits the screen for most audiences as little more than publicity shills--hype and advertising--nothing to do with any legitimate review--for any movie, not simply Jackson movies. So I put little faith in these alleged positive reviews.

Reports from Finnish Downers who have seen the movie suggest that it is indeed aptly named.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I trust said Finnish Downers (hee hee, that sounds funny) will provide us with a proper review soon...
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
elvet
Pile O'Bones

elvet has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I have no plan to see the movie, but I think it's noteworthy in itself that you make the distinction between "Tolkien" and "Jackson" fans. If PJ had just changed all the characters' names, that, along with the script changes in LOTR and TH could have given him his blockbuster films without angering us horrid, close-minded "Tolkienistas" at all.
And it is an important distinction. The movies are an interpretation of Tolkien. The question should be whether Peter has done a better job than other directors would have done, not how closely the movie adheres to the source. Personally, I think he has done a fine job of bringing Middle-earth to life.

In so far as the reviews go, I think that there is some validity in having a general consensus of positive reviews equating to a better movie. A visual story needs to be balanced, well-paced and presented, and most critics (currently) report that Peter has done a good job.
For Tolkien movie fans, it doesn't really matter if the film is critically acclaimed. We're going to see it regardless, and probably like it regardless. It would be nice to have a thread where we can revel in each other's enjoyment, rather than hearing about how bad this or that was.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvet View Post
In so far as the reviews go, I think that there is some validity in having a general consensus of positive reviews equating to a better movie. A visual story needs to be balanced, well-paced and presented, and most critics (currently) report that Peter has done a good job.
Actually, my browsing of Rotten Tomatoes so far and complete reading of several reviews from different sources shows that at least as far as the pacing goes, the consensus of the critics is that the movie is badly paced.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hey, come on, everyone– don’t hijack elvet’s thread. You’ve got the entire rest of the forum to be negative in!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I trust said Finnish Downers (hee hee, that sounds funny) will provide us with a proper review soon...
Provided. I redirect you there; you'll find a plenty of people to share your negative opinions with.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Hey, come on, everyone– don’t hijack elvet’s thread. You’ve got the entire rest of the forum to be negative in!
I would like to point out that I was correcting something that elvet said that was verifiably false, not making fun of the movies.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvet View Post
The movies are an interpretation of Tolkien. The question should be whether Peter has done a better job than other directors would have done, not how closely the movie adheres to the source. Personally, I think he has done a fine job of bringing Middle-earth to life.
That begs the question though of whether another director who did have more respect for the source material could have satisfied more of the books' fans. A moot point now, I suppose.

Since I'm not going to see the movies, I'll adopt Nerwen's suggestion and leave this alone now.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've seen the Desolation of Smaug, and it was pretty good, albeit a little too long to be comfortable. I liked it better than An Unexpected Journey, anyway. The quality of the acting was high, the sets and scenery were very nicely done and interesting to look at in 3D, and by and large the completely new sections of the film were entertaining. It is not as if the rest of the film was perfectly faithful anyway. Given that, having a couple of elves running around shooting orcs was actually one of the best things about the film (the best being Smaug, really), and I'm curious about how that plotline will be resolved in the next film. Gandalf was as excellent as ever, Thorin's actor was notably good, as was Thranduil's, and Tauriel was a perfectly decent character.

The romance aspects of the film seemed ridiculous and tacked on, but didn't go on for very long anyway.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote