The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #1521
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Haha! Yes, I am a wolf you powerless villagers! And I almost got away with it, too, despite the dog's dinner I was handed.

This 88 plan has no chance of working, but I'm going to abide by it anyway, because Boro singlehandedly dismantled our wolf packs and because his fur is the wrong sort of color.

Hopefully Shasta spends time in our thread soon enough to come back and win.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #1522
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Do you mean 1587?
The "Middle-Earth Mirth" and "Active Topics" pages (etc.) list the number of replies to the starting post. So for it to show 1588 we need to have 1589 posts in the thread (first post + 1588 replies).

It is easy to check.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #1523
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Exactly. Maybe we'd tried to end toNight our discussions to something like 1580 posts or something. Then add Kuru's opening of the Day and someone awake around the DL would then post a couple of one-liners saying "Do not post to this thread" and check that the post 1589 would then have the explanation for anyone who hasn't learned about it earlier (the several "Do not post..." -posts should be obvious hints to even a slow reader something's up).
Sounds like a plan.

I think I'm off to bed and I'll stop filling the post quota. Good luck folks! Do the scheme. Seriously. It will be the most hilarious thing ever if it actually works.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #1524
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I think we want to be sitting at 88 during the first part of the Day so that the Living will be around to notice it. That means we have to leave room for Kuru, and perhaps he'll make two posts. Or three.

That said we don't want to eclipse 75 before 7 o'clock. Once the Day opens it'll be easy to get to 88 in organized fashion.
Makes sense. I will therefore also stop posting now so that also some others have chance to speak (Also, it is getting late here, so might slowly head to sleep.) If it's good, even the person who gets killed toNight - if there is one - might get the chance to speak in the Morning.

Quote:
Do you mean 1587?
Here is how it works, plainly and simply: Your post called #1542 in its top-right corner was listed as if there were "1541 replies" on the thread.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #1525
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
I wonder if Boro was given some knowledge of who the wolves are. No one's that good to be 3 for 3.
It might be his power only works on wolves- or did, because it's entirely possible he's now turned into a regular WW.

If so, I wonder if he's a lone wolf, or allied with one of the dead packs?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #1526
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Kuru said earlier the DL would be postponed but he told then the DL would be at 7pm Eastern time. So is it going to be in 1½ hours or am I losing something?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #1527
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ah, I see- the numbers don't match up (post count versus replies). Got it.

Well, I am going silent until Day starts then.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #1528
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Kuru said earlier the DL would be postponed but he told then the DL would be at 7pm Eastern time. So is it going to be in 1½ hours or am I losing something?
I didn't say "postponed" I said "moved up."

Deadline is in 15 minutes...ish.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #1529
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I didn't say "postponed" I said "moved up."

Deadline is in 15 minutes...ish.
Sorry my broken English... Didn't know it meant coming up faster... Okay. That's fine indeed.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #1530
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Yay! I got two of 'em right!
Me toooo!

Quote:
So how about we stop posting after the next ..88 replies to the thread and remain silent for a half a Day at least?
Let me just say that this is a brilliant plan. I hope they'll notice it!

Quote:
Boro kills Shasta, and everyone thinks a Wolf is still left. Kath or Mith gets lynched. Boro kills Sally. Game over. Victory Werebear.
If he kills Shasta toNIGHT, he'll go back the DAY after and it will be 1-2. So hoping that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Will the wolves let it stay at 88? And do you really think the living are that observant? (I don't have a better idea so with a shot but I'm skeptical.)
Well. If for some reason they don't yearn revenge enough to stick to it, we can always go back and delete our own posts to get to 88.

I'll do a test post soon to see if the numbers add up even if you delete a post. I'd imagine they do but want to make sure.

Quote:
The bolded part is quite important - and with the narrations talking of itching and then more scratching and then finally getting over it it might go also the way that Boro has itched from a wanna-be werewolf (hair growing) into an actual one.
He could also have been allergic to werewolves, is what I was thinking. Although he stopped scratching before McC died, so your theory may have merit.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #1531
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

So if we try to send the note to everyone in our last post like an hour or something from now (in a 15 hours Day-cycle) so when should we break the silence?

Of course if they catch it we can then continue speaking here... but if they don't, how long should we wait?

Would five hours before the DL be long enough - or too long - if they don't seem to get it?

Btw. I'm working on a declaration post we could leave as the last one standing in the thread for anyone coming to join the thread later...
Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #1532
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I'll do a test post soon to see if the numbers add up even if you delete a post. I'd imagine they do but want to make sure.
Yup, it works.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #1533
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Would five hours before the DL be long enough - or too long - if they don't seem to get it?
7 hours, or until they start voting? There's a risk they'll think the game is as good as won and we've lost interest.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #1534
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Although... If we made a lot of filler posts, we could go back to delete them (or edit them into a single post) later to stay at 88. That they would eventually notice, I hope - new posts but the post count not going up.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #1535
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

It was nearly silent this NIGHT, except for the probing to discern that Rune was PREY in life.

The mists swirled again and Mithalwen was among them. Apparently there was still work to do...but not much time left to do it in.

The Missing or Dead:
Kuruharan
Nogrod
the phantom
Rune Son of Bjarne
(Prey)
Aganzir
A Little Green
(Prey)
Macalaure
Rikae
(Prey)
Legate of Amon Lanc (Prey)
Loslote
Firefoot
Lalaith
(Predator)
Nerwen
mormegil
Thinlómien
Formendacil
Nilpaurion Felagund
(Lover)
McCaber
Mithalwen

The Living:
satansaloser2005
Boromir88
Shastanis Althreduin
Kath

Illusion:
Gwathagor
(Ordo)
Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #1536
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Hey Mith.

McC was the last wolf. Well done lynching him. ♥

However, we still seem to have a furry problem called Boro.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #1537
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. Here's my version of the post to be left as the last one standing for a while. I can send it again as the post 1589.

Mith: check this closely - and welcome to our cosy home (and have fun reading this sillyness)

Quote:
You dead person!

Please read this before you post anything!

We have a plan were trying to accomplish here. As we have no way to indicate the Living that they should lynch Boro (newcomer: we know McCaber was the last wolf) we try to do it by stopping our posting to 1588 replies.

So don't post anything on this thread for now!

This post is post number 1589 – and if you check the ”Active Topics” or ”Middle-Earth Mirth” you can see the thread has 1588 replies. 1588 replies. Boromir88.

We'll stay silent until the last hours of the Day so that the Living might get the clue: nothing happens in the Dead thread for over half of the Day and the count stands at 1588.

The living might catch it or then they don't. Or some rebellious wolves might not wish to play along just in principle even if Boro is their enemy and the killer of their packmates. But we'll nevertheless wish to give this crazy plan a chance and to give this anniversary game the ending it deserves.

So do not post anything in this thread unless the Living have caught the message, or there is something like 5 to 7 hours of the Day left.

Hold your horses!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #1538
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, I guess we could officially welcome Mith (so, at least for myself: welcome!) and if Nog has actually the summary post ready, he can then post it... And then, once we hit the 1588th (resp. 1589th!) post, we can keep our silence in order to try to convey the message to the Living thread, if they are clever enough to notice. We can always hope!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #1539
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

We need to get to 88 fast though because at the moment, there's only one unknown left - Kath - and the village might not wait till later to vote for her!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #1540
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I see I crossposted, well done, Nog! I daresay the draft looks presentable. So whenever, or whoever is around by the time we are close to the actual post count of 1589, can repost it...

I will be going to sleep. Good night, see you later, even though maybe not hear you yet for a while!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #1541
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I would also like to see the last 5-10 posts before the above explanation post, that would be left the last one, being one-liners like "Do not post to this thread!" - in the best case posted by several different people.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #1542
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

What do you folks think about deleting/editing posts to keep the count at 88?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #1543
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
We need to get to 88 fast though because at the moment, there's only one unknown left - Kath - and the village might not wait till later to vote for her!
Not a bad idea, Agan. We could rise the post count a bit. Although I assume some of the Americans to be around to post.

Reposting Nog's recent one since we apparently just hit a new page:
Quote:
Okay. Here's my version of the post to be left as the last one standing for a while. I can send it again as the post 1589.

Mith: check this closely - and welcome to our cosy home (and have fun reading this sillyness)
Quote:
You dead person!

Please read this before you post anything!

We have a plan were trying to accomplish here. As we have no way to indicate the Living that they should lynch Boro (newcomer: we know McCaber was the last wolf) we try to do it by stopping our posting to 1588 replies.

So don't post anything on this thread for now!

This post is post number 1589 – and if you check the ”Active Topics” or ”Middle-Earth Mirth” you can see the thread has 1588 replies. 1588 replies. Boromir88.

We'll stay silent until the last hours of the Day so that the Living might get the clue: nothing happens in the Dead thread for over half of the Day and the count stands at 1588.

The living might catch it or then they don't. Or some rebellious wolves might not wish to play along just in principle even if Boro is their enemy and the killer of their packmates. But we'll nevertheless wish to give this crazy plan a chance and to give this anniversary game the ending it deserves.

So do not post anything in this thread unless the Living have caught the message, or there is something like 5 to 7 hours of the Day left.

Hold your horses!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #1544
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

So anyone else around but Agan? Shall we start posting or has anyone who has stayed silent for a while something to add or to comment?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #1545
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Death did nothing to sate my lust for blood!

I don't know how. I don't care. You guys are the innocents. You figure it out.

I like your idea, though. Kuru, make it happen!
Here's a gif of Macalaure posting in this thread:
Old 06-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #1546
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
So anyone else around but Agan? Shall we start posting or has anyone who has stayed silent for a while something to add or to comment?
Of course we can't really know, people might just not be around at this very minute, but could appear in, say, ten minutes... it's hard to guess.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #1547
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Let's.

But can we add the edit/delete part into the official last post?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #1548
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
What do you folks think about deleting/editing posts to keep the count at 88?
It is an idea if we need that - but then everyone should be understanding to do it if there is posting going on here.

So I'd suggest we try to do it if there seems to be something so important going on during the Day we need to talk, but I'd rather go for the full silence to begin with.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #1549
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hey, Sally has already posted on the Living thread. And I think it might really make people wonder. We should do this. Like now.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #1550
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'd say something like 10 posts from now we should start posting these "Do not post into this thread" posts?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #1551
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Why is it so difficult to spam when you need it...
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #1552
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

You dead person: do not post into this thread.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #1553
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
but I'd rather go for the full silence to begin with.
I wouldn't.

If we keep posting, the Dead will know we have something to say. They'll know the game is not over. If we stop, they assume there's nothing left to say.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #1554
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I'd say something like 10 posts from now we should start posting these "Do not post into this thread" posts?
Yeah, like after 1580?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #1555
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'll send the 1589.

Before that, let's spam.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1556
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
You dead person: do not post into this thread.
It should be fitted with something like "you, yes, you" making sure it applies to everyone So that whoever reads it is clear about that it applies to everyone here, themselves to begin with...
Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1557
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
If we keep posting, the Dead will know we have something to say. They'll know the game is not over. If we stop, they assume there's nothing left to say.
They see we have posted now - and then we stopped.

I don't see they could interpret it we have it so clear no one bothers to even joke a bit. I mean it's most of the Day and it is going to be tight there and they know it. Why would the game continue unless there were things to settle?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #1558
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

And because the Wolves are with us in our hunt for Boro, let's all team up!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #1559
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

And I am effectively going to sleep. I trust you all to settle the situation around here however you see fit. Goodnight!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #1560
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Dead people, you are not to be enCaged anymore!