The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #1481
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I am worried Boro will kill Shasta and he will not protect himself but Sally. Let's hope I'm wrong...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #1482
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
No, I am not joking, unfortunately.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #1483
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
It is going to be interesting indeed.

Will Boro know or trust the last wolf is dead or no?

He might not do a Night-kill if he's thinking there is one wolf left - and thus clean his name. With no Night kill though he would be strongly incriminated to be the one because of whom the game still continues... the ranger-save nothwithstanding...

He might do a Night kill if he thinks the last wolf is dead - and then he could claim he is just on the villagers' side and it was the last remaining wolf who did the killing. But he doesn't actually know that and there being two deaths (which is possible from his POV - even if we know it actually isn't) would incriminate him heavily in that case as well.

So what will he choose - to kill or not to kill? And will Shasta be saving himself / Sally succesfully if he goes for the kill?

So many things that could so many possible ways...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #1484
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Do you want to now tell us about your superpower of killing people from beyond the grave? Kuru? Is there something like if both of the Wolf-packs combine into a Mega-Zord, they can kill even a living person? No?
Death did nothing to sate my lust for blood!

I don't know how. I don't care. You guys are the innocents. You figure it out.

I like your idea, though. Kuru, make it happen!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #1485
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
And here everyone thought I was wasting my time analyzing the tie suggestion.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #1486
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Darn it. It would seem Boro would need to decide by himself which one he'd have harder times to explain himself out of: there being no kill or there being two. Sadly it looks like it would be easier to him to try and escape the lynch explaining two kills than none and therefore he's most probably going to go for a kill toNight.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #1487
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Will Boro know or trust the last wolf is dead or no?

He might not do a Night-kill if he's thinking there is one wolf left - and thus clean his name. With no Night kill though he would be strongly incriminated to be the one because of whom the game still continues... the ranger-save nothwithstanding...

He might do a Night kill if he thinks the last wolf is dead - and then he could claim he is just on the villagers' side and it was the last remaining wolf who did the killing. But he doesn't actually know that and there being two deaths (which is possible from his POV - even if we know it actually isn't) would incriminate him heavily in that case as well.
Well, he was offering yesterDay to the villagers that he could kill one of the remaining unknown people if the game continues (Mith, it seemed). So he could be safe with making a Night-kill, because a) it is better for him (I presume) to kill as many people as he can, b) in his thinking, if there happened to be a Wolf still around and thus there were two Night-kills, he could just say "oh, but I was just acting in the interests of the village, you know".

The best he could do (from our perspective) would be of course if he did not send the kill, because then the village would be just "wait a moment... how comes there wasn't a kill?" But I wouldn't really rely on that. See above.

The only thing that might happen, it might limit his killing options, since he might not want to raise suspicion. So he might not want to kill e.g. Sally, but rather Mith, since she is one of the potential unknowns. I would imagine it might be really a bit difficult for him at this stage.

(...Unless something totally different is true and because the whole game is based on the Living not knowing anything, and the point is kind of for the Dead to try to pass info from beyond the grave, and since there is the option to have no lynch at all by making a tie, maybe Boro is innocent killer and Kuru is just messing with us and waiting for the Living to stop lynching whenever they will, or eliminate themselves completely. But no, that is something the phantom would do as a Mod, not Kuru. I hope. )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #1488
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Quote:
Do you want to now tell us about your superpower of killing people from beyond the grave? Kuru? Is there something like if both of the Wolf-packs combine into a Mega-Zord, they can kill even a living person? No?
Death did nothing to sate my lust for blood!

I don't know how. I don't care. You guys are the innocents. You figure it out.

I like your idea, though. Kuru, make it happen!
That's how I like you, Mac! You should do some... "bloodvote" or something... Agree on Boro's kill and PM it to Kuru.

And since I was just asked by Lommy what is a Megazord, here is an explanation. These youngsters and their lack of classical education these days!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #1489
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I am actually having a phantomesque plan...

So as we have no clear means of telling the Living to kill Boro let's try to give them an indirect - and kind of an odd one.

Boro sure is Boromir88.

And the Living know this thread buzzes with astonishing amount of posting all the time.

So how about we stop posting after the next ..88 replies to the thread and remain silent for a half a Day at least?

Someone might notice there is something wrong with the Dead Thread - and someone might then realize the number of replies is ..88 - well it seems 1588 is our next ..88.

If we could fill the thread up to that many replies for the new Day to Dawn and then have a silence of half a Day... Could it work?
Old 06-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #1490
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ooo, how interesting. Now Boro can take a shot at Sally or Shasta and leave Mith and Kath to see if competing Wolf-accusations will form.

Unless of course with the Wolves Dead Boro will stop killing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
And actually if it's the wolf we lynch today than there will only be my kill for one of the other unknowns, and it's all over.
That was his opinion of what would happen after a Wolf-lynch. We'll see if he in fact refrains from targeting Mith or Kath...
Old 06-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #1491
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Someone might notice there is something wrong with the Dead Thread - and someone might then realize the number of replies is ..88 - well it seems 1588 is our next ..88.

If we could fill the thread up to that many replies for the new Day to Dawn and then have a silence of half a Day... Could it work?
Not a bad idea by itself, we certainly don't have very much to say anymore toNight, right? So we could leave it at least until then.

It would be really cool.

People just should be really careful about crossposting among the last posts before 1588 and such

It would be something like 77 posts to go after mine... two pages. Doable? (We could name this The Spam Thread.)

I am quite fine with it. Really. Nothing to lose there.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #1492
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Ha ha, Nog, that is fantastic!
Old 06-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #1493
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.

Nogrod I so much hope that would work, but I am little skeptical.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #1494
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post

Nogrod I so much hope that would work, but I am little skeptical.
Just so that the rest of you know, she is basically having a fit of laughter on the sofa...

(Filling the post count already...)
Old 06-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #1495
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Actually it would have to be post 1589 because that would then show at the "Active topics" as 1588 replies...
Old 06-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #1496
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Eye

Actually, Phantom, may I ask (a reasonable excuse to post): why do your posts (at least the last two ones, haven't checked the previous ones) have the arrow icon in the heading? (Yeah, that *points up* one.)
Old 06-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #1497
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Actually it would have to be post 1589 because that would then show at the "Active topics" as 1588 replies...
Would it? Doesn't it count the first post already as a "reply" (despite semantics)?
Old 06-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #1498
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Would it? Doesn't it count the first post already as a "reply" (despite semantics)?
The first post of the thread is "a post" and then the rest are replies to it. So the number of posts per thread are always one up to the number of replies shown in the "menu"-page.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #1499
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Scenario 1:

Boro kills Shasta, and everyone thinks a Wolf is still left. Kath or Mith gets lynched. Boro kills Sally. Game over. Victory Werebear.

Scenario 2:

Boro gets blocked by Shasta and no one knows what to do. Mith gets lynched. Boro kills Sally. Final day debate between Kath and Boro with Shasta deciding. In that scenario we will have had a chance to signal the Living that McCaber is a Wolf. Boro lynched.

Scenario 3:

Boro attempts to kill Kath but his kill ability only works on Wolves. The next day he says the Wolf is Mith or no one. Mith lynched. The requirements of his role satisfied (he now knows there are no Wolves remaining), he can stop killing and the game can end with a village victory.

Scenario 4:

The Living see our "88" hint and lynch Boro. We laugh.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #1500
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
The first post of the thread is "a post" and then the rest are replies to it. So the number of posts per thread are always one up to the number of replies shown in the "menu"-page.
Okay, you are right. Just checked that. Fine enough.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #1501
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Also: if we do this, accidental posters who make the post count go over the number can just delete their posts? People just need to be awake.

Although: what about empowering and stuff? How long are we going to keep it at 88?

(Crazy thought: the best clue, of course, would be to make the post count up to 8,888. But I think we can't do that. )
Old 06-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #1502
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Every post I've ever made has the arrow (except maybe in the RPG forum).
Old 06-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #1503
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

We can still empower with the "88" thing. If we're silent the first HALF of the day, surely that's long enough for them to notice that we're silent and the post count is stuck on a significant number.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #1504
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Will the wolves let it stay at 88? And do you really think the living are that observant? (I don't have a better idea so with a shot but I'm skeptical.)
Old 06-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #1505
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Although: what about empowering and stuff? How long are we going to keep it at 88?
We do not have to do it for long. But throughout part of the Day? Before something starts happening? Like really, we do not have much to talk about, do we? We know what we need to do, more or less, and... that's about it?

But we of course do not have to keep it too long, people could notice it even now. (Of course the best indicator would be if somebody noticed that and said it on the Living thread... then we would know...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
(Crazy thought: the best clue, of course, would be to make the post count up to 8,888. But I think we can't do that. )
Now that would certainly be something, but no. I do not think we want to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Every post I've ever made has the arrow (except maybe in the RPG forum).
Oh yes, I see. Still, my question was: if I may ask, why?
Old 06-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #1506
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Oh yes, I see. Still, my question was: if I may ask, why?
A bit like having a third signature (siggy, avatar, arrow).

Also makes my posts easier to find when I scroll.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #1507
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Scenario 3:

Boro attempts to kill Kath but his kill ability only works on Wolves. The next day he says the Wolf is Mith or no one. Mith lynched. The requirements of his role satisfied (he now knows there are no Wolves remaining), he can stop killing and the game can end with a village victory.
The bolded part is quite important - and with the narrations talking of itching and then more scratching and then finally getting over it it might go also the way that Boro has itched from a wanna-be werewolf (hair growing) into an actual one.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #1508
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Will the wolves let it stay at 88? And do you really think the living are that observant? (I don't have a better idea so with a shot but I'm skeptical.)
I would think the WWs want to be a part of history as well, right? And as for observance, yeah, who knows, but it's our best shot (or one of them. We can of course aim to empower somebody toMorrow, the best would be if they did the self-vote thing and let us decide... but it's dangerous, because Boro would totally mess it up if he's allowed to).
Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #1509
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
The bolded part is quite important - and with the narrations talking of itching and then more scratching and then finally getting over it it might go also the way that Boro has itched from a wanna-be werewolf (hair growing) into an actual one.
That was the thing I've been thinking during the last Day or so. It really sounds a bit like that.

In any case, my personal hope is that with the game being so much close and in endgame, the Living will come up really fast with some transparent scheme of us voting and so on.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #1510
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

(So we can send a message, I mean.)
Old 06-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #1511
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Boro is no friend of the wolves - on the contrary: he's the individual who took quite many of them off the game and helped their downfall.

Also, if we're really going to try this it would be such a cool ending for the anniversary game they'd probably like to be included with it.

Of course the last ten posts or so before we shut down would need to be one-liners like: "Do not post anything on this thread"

And the 1589th post would then explain it in short and explicit terms why no one should post before hour x.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #1512
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
We can of course aim to empower somebody toMorrow,
We can do that even if we try the 1588-replies tactics. We'll have several hours then to discuss whom to empower after our shutdown is over.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #1513
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Anyway I don't think we have nothing to lose with the 88 scheme. Let's go for it.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #1514
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I wonder if Boro was given some knowledge of who the wolves are. No one's that good to be 3 for 3.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #1515
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Agreeing with Nogrod. I mean the 88 scheme is so crazy who wouldn't want to be a part of it??
Old 06-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #1516
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well, all of this may be a moot point if Boro is on the village's side, but I think it's still worth orchestrating just because it is so interesting. But anyway...

WE DON'T WANT TO RUN TO THE TOTAL TOO SOON. Because Kuru has to make his Night/Day posts, so we want a bit of padding at the end and be ready to make the number only at the start of the Day.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #1517
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
We can do that even if we try the 1588-replies tactics. We'll have several hours then to discuss whom to empower after our shutdown is over.
Of course, of course. Also, I am not expecting the Living are going to give us a reasonable scheme according to which we can vote anytime dramatically soon

So yeah. Just in the last post, a brief summary, a brief explanation, a nice nudge to the newly-coming dead (if there is one) to spend the meantime with something nice, for instance reading our long thread
Old 06-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #1518
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Well, all of this may be a moot point if Boro is on the village's side, but I think it's still worth orchestrating just because it is so interesting. But anyway...

WE DON'T WANT TO RUN TO THE TOTAL TOO SOON. Because Kuru has to make his Night/Day posts, so we want a bit of padding at the end and be ready to make the number only at the start of the Day.
Sure. The question is if we want to do that only during the Day, or if we actually want to hurry up to that count and leave it lying here for really long, even overNight in case somebody checks it... then the danger is also the thread might "drop down" under more active threads (probably like one or two at most, but still...)

But yeah, I could also slow down a bit and leave it here also for others to post.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #1519
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Exactly. Maybe we'd tried to end toNight our discussions to something like 1580 posts or something. Then add Kuru's opening of the Day and someone awake around the DL would then post a couple of one-liners saying "Do not post to this thread" and check that the post 1589 would then have the explanation for anyone who hasn't learned about it earlier (the several "Do not post..." -posts should be obvious hints to even a slow reader something's up).
Old 06-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #1520
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I think we want to be sitting at 88 during the first part of the Day so that the Living will be around to notice it. That means we have to leave room for Kuru, and perhaps he'll make two posts. Or three.

That said we don't want to eclipse 75 before 7 o'clock. Once the Day opens it'll be easy to get to 88 in organized fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
1589 would then have the explanation
Do you mean 1587?

Last edited by the phantom; 06-13-2015 at 08:00 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote