The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White-Hand Admin Thread for WWXLV: The Fellowship of Saruman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R.Tolkien: Unfinished Tales
...the Black Riders arrived at the Gate of Isengard while Gandalf was still a prisoner in the tower. In this account, Saruman, in fear and despair, and perceiving the full horror of service to Mordor, resolved suddenly to yield to Gandalf, and to beg for his pardon and help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R.Tolkien: Fellowship of the Ring
"The Wise may have good reason to believe that the halfling's trove is indeed the Great Ring of long debate, unlikely though that may seem to those who know less. But may we not hear the proofs? And I would ask this also. What of Saruman? He is learned in the lore of the Rings, yet he is not among us. What is his counsel - if he knows the things that we have heard?"

Welcome at the admin thread of WWXLV: The Fellowship of Saruman, which is another game in the popular series of Werewolf games that have become regular on this forum.

This game is going to be a "basic" Werewolf game. What it means is that there are not going to be any secret twists, secret plots, special newly invented roles, multiple wolf packs or things like that. The roles will be finally distributed depending on the amount of people who sign up, but the basic schema should be something like: three wolves, a Seer, a Hunter and a Ranger. However, as some of you may already know, there are going to be several specific things in this game. And they can all be subsumed under one thing, basically: this game is going to be a roleplaying, or to use term favoured by some, "in-character" game. That means that all posts made by players in the game should be written in-character, as narration or direct speech, and everything you write should accord to the setting of the game. It means nothing more than that you give a different written form to your suspicions, accusations and other forms of interaction inside the game. But otherwise, it still remains the same good old Werewolf as we all know it.

And the setting? Well, after reading the thread title and the opening quotes, maybe you are beginning to see the idea. Yes, to speak plainly: in this game, we travel into a thrilling world of "what-if". What if Saruman the White chose to return to the path appointed to him, what if he traveled back to Rivendell and took a part in the Council of Elrond, and took part in determining the constitution of the Fellowship of the Ring? Yes, your guess is correct – in this game, you have the chance to take upon yourself a role of one of the members of the Fellowship, and experience once again, yet differently - and what's important, personally – the journey of the Messengers sent with the Ring! But this time – it's the Fellowship of Saruman!
Be aware, though. We know the Fellowship's journey was not easy from its very start – the Enemy's malice was following it and the will of the Ring stirred the evil and affected minds of the Companions along the way. And there was one among them, Boromir the Brave, who almost failed in the quest and stood too close to betrayal. But neither of the Fellowship was particularly strong, and only a little could have happened to sway the balance towards the disasterous end. Can we even guess, had the Fellowship consisted of different characters, what influence it would have on those taking the journey?
Join – for the quest to discover it now...

CHARACTERS
As it was said, in this game, everyone is going to pick a character to play. But unlike most WW games, you are not going to make your own role: you are going to pick one of the characters already existing in Tolkien's world by the time the Fellowship set out on its quest. Saruman the Wise, the new voice in the Council of Elrond, has his own ideas of who is and who is not suitable for the journey. The Fellowship of Saruman is a Fellowship different from the one presented in the books, although there may be or may not be the same characters present. It is all about you, players, now, to determine how far the similarity will go. Everyone is compelled to post the name of the character he picks before the game starts on this thread. I will display the roles taken with the list of players who sign up, so that you know which characters are already "booked" (although if you for example desperately want to play Frodo and he is already taken, you can always try to convince the other player to let you play for Frodo instead of him). This is the opportunity for you to play for a character from the books that you like. The choices are almost unlimited (I will always tell you if there are problems with introducing the character you picked). You can choose a character from the original Fellowship, as well as other likely candidates (Saruman would probably fancy some of the powerful Elf-lords to join the company, so you may pick for example Glorfindel, Elladan or Elrohir; he may fancy older and more experienced characters to join, like Bilbo or Glóin; as well as introduce a "faithful servant" of his like Uglúk or – with some amount of carefulness – Gríma; you can pick a Rohir who, with Isengard being friendly again, was also invited to Rivendell; and as we are in a what-if story, who says it had to be Boromir and not Faramir who traveled to Rivendell – or even both... just unleash your imagination).
And one note. A thing that directly stems from this – technically, you can, and I believe it may be even better for the atmosphere, call each other in the thread not their screennames, but in the names of their characters. You know, not like "I suspect you, Nogrod" but "I suspect you, Radagast". I am afraid if it may not become confusing, on the other hand, as the characters presented are all known to us, I believe it won't be hard to remember who's who. It is merely an exchange of terms. But I would prefer you to say your opinions on the matter. Why I am presenting this is, that I thought: "if in-character playing, then total one".

POSTING
As it has been said, posting in-character is compulsory in this game. That means, no anachronisms, everything you say in the game should be written in the way that it fits with the atmosphere and setting. When, for example, announcing to the others that you have to leave now for several hours, you may write something like:
Quote:
"I am going to look around for some food," said Aragorn. "We need to gather more supplies before we continue. I will return before noon."
And so on. Not posting in the in-setting way will result in modfiring you out of the game. However, there is another extreme I have to mention here: I am discouraging likewise merely posting in-character with no in-game value. Of course you can make one or two posts just for atmosphere, but doing that all the time is likewise not encouraged: even though this is an in-character game, this is not the RPG section, this is Werewolf.

VOTING
Votes are going to be given as usually, only, of course, in the in-character way; but the format will remain the same to make them apparent on the thread. The votes should be on a separate line, boldened, with the well known "++" in front of them, like this:

++Legate of Amon Lanc

Everyone may cast only one vote per Day (retractions are not allowed). There are no double-lynches; in the case of a tie, the lynchee is chosen randomly by the Mod.

TECHNICAL THINGS
This game is going to differ in one thing which I hope is not going to become a problem. It's just the vocabulary. As the game is going to map the journey of the Fellowship through the lands of Middle-Earth, we are not going to have "Days" and "Nights", but "journeys" and "collisions": I will always say "The #th part of the journey begins, you may begin to post" and "the #th collision is upon you, stop posting". You can refer to the journeys by names of the places they took part in, like: "When we were in Eregion, Gimli voted for Aragorn, but now he is supporting him." Similarly, you can refer to collisions – I'm sure you'll find for yourselves how.

ROLES
The basic arrangement of the roles can be changed depending on the number of players playing. But by default, this game should have:
Three Traitors (Werewolves), corrupted by the Ring, who try to appear like innocent Companions on the Journeys and PM each other during the Collisions, choosing one person that will be killed during every Collision.
A number of Ordinary Companions who post on the Journeys and try to get rid of all the Traitors one by one by voting them off.
One Seer, who has the ability to discern one person's role during every Collision, and is on the innocent side.
One Avenger (non-logical Hunter), who has the ability to take down with himself one other person in case he leaves the game. He can change his target at any time. At any time, be it during the Journey or during the Collision, if the Avenger leaves the game, his target does as well, be he a Traitor or not. The Avenger can always PM the Mod that he does not want to take down anyone with him. He is also on the side of the innocent Companions.
One Protector (Ranger), who has the ability to protect one person during every Collision. He can choose to protect himself, but he cannot protect the same person twice in a row. Protector is on the innocent side.
(note: I am using the terms "protector" and "avenger" because of technical reasons to avoid possible controversy: because terms like "ranger", while there may be Aragorn in the group, may prove confusing and create problems)
(note 2: The Gifted don't know each other's roles - neither of them. For such a small group, allowing that will be too much of an advantage.)

GENERAL RULES

The game starts on March 23rd, at 9 PM GMT.

Every Journey lasts 24 real time hours and every Collision as well. We start with a (Pseudo-)Collision phase, where no kill is made and only the Seer's special ability is used.

Deadline will be 9 PM GMT.

During every Journey, the Fellowship chooses a person to get rid of by voting. The person who gets the most votes at the time of deadline leaves the Fellowship and can no longer post on the game thread as well as on the admin thread until the game ends.

Admin thread can be used only for explanation of out-game problems and apologies for non-participation.

Out-game discussion about the game is not allowed. Only the roles that are allowed to PM each other can PM about the game at Night. Greeting your playing friends "hello, wolf" in RL is strongly discouraged as well.

Person who does not vote for two days in a row will be eliminated from the game by the Mod (amnesty may be granted by the Mod).

Everyone must remain in Invisible mode as long as he is in the game.

So, that's it! Are you prepared to join the Fellowship of Saruman on its long journey? You may start to sign up!

Any comments to the rules or other things are welcome as well.

Players:

Thinlómien - Gildor Inglorion
Meneltarmacil - Uglúk
Nogrod - Tom Bombadil
McCaber - Elrohir
Aganzir - Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
Nerwen - Elladan
Groin Redbeard - Dáin II. Ironfoot
Sally - Théodred
A Little Green - Éomer
Gwathagor - Halbarad
THE Ka - Radagast
Gil-Galad - Gandalf
Rune son of Bjarne - Galadriel
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 03-24-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
This alternative fellowship looks quite entertaining: Lobelia and Tom Bombadil indeed! And Uglúk! Now we know Saruman had the tongue to speak people over to this and that but managing to convince Elrond's council that taking Uglúk in the fellowship is a great idea must be listed among the ultimate high-points in the art of rhetoric indeed...

I kind of remember that someone asked whether s/he could be Legolas - and if I'm not wrong it was just okay if someone wished to be one from the original fellowship as well. So there was no requirement to take an alternative choice.

I liked Nerwen's idea of being the other of the brothers while McCaber would be the other one. It would add an extra dimension to the game dynamics as well as to the narrations.

And just to remind you others of my honest commitment: I will try to play differently this time - so be prepared to nonsense rhymes...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Now we know Saruman had the tongue to speak people over to this and that but managing to convince Elrond's council that taking Uglúk in the fellowship is a great idea must be listed among the ultimate high-points in the art of rhetoric indeed...
I'll say.

Quote:
I kind of remember that someone asked whether s/he could be Legolas.
Oh, that was me. My specific offer was as follows: For a very reasonable sum of money, payable via check or Pay Pal, I will undertake not to state the obvious constantly. For a bit extra I might even manage not to reminisce about the hair-raising adventures I've had with Aragorn. (See The Mellon Chronicles etc.)

Otherwise... things could get nasty.

Or perhaps you'd rather I was Elladan/Elrohir?

Quote:
And just to remind you others of my honest commitment: I will try to play differently this time - so be prepared to nonsense rhymes...
Of course, Tom Wolfadil. What a great cover.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yay, the game is back up. Count me in, I'll be playing as Dain II Ironfoot.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Yay, the game is back up. Count me in, I'll be playing as Dain II Ironfoot.
BRUTAL!!! COOL!!!

Wow, you surely did that for me, Groin! Great choice!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Leaf

Why's everybody so funny on this thread?

I have a suggestion. If Legate wishes that we call one another by our in-game names, I think it would be good if every one of us players would change their avatar, signature or location (or all of them, if they wish) to remind people of who they're playing. (Or then the boring option would be simply writing the character's name bolded to the start of the signature...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I have a suggestion. If Legate wishes that we call one another by our in-game names, I think it would be good if every one of us players would change their avatar, signature or location (or all of them, if they wish) to remind people of who they're playing. (Or then the boring option would be simply writing the character's name bolded to the start of the signature...)
A good idea. I'm not sure whether everyone is willing to undertake such a thing for a mere WW game, though. (And by the way, a pity of losing your current location it would be, Lommy ) I thought about at least the "boring option" as well, for easier orientation - I meant, also, the boring option that everyone writes his character name to the post title, so that it's at the beginning and easily visible.

There's also another thing, we used to remove our signatures in my last game (which was also roleplaying one), so that the signatures don't interrupt the flow of it. Thinking of it, maybe it will be better to do that as well - also for the purpose of people who could for example read the game later. Your avvies, signatures and locations won't be the same anymore anyway at the time. But for your immediate orientation, if you decide to, changing avvies or so is a good proposal, I think. It's upon you.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I think it's a good idea. How about using quotes from the characters as our signatures?

Anyway, I'm going to be Elladan– unless McCaber has a sudden deep objection to being Elrohir.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I think it's a good idea. How about using quotes from the characters as our signatures?
Well, I'd like to see you providing a quote from your character

Maybe about your character, at maximum But the only sentence that comes to my mind is "So much alike were they..." And that really won't be of much help
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Despite my character's taciturnity, I actually did have a direct quote in mind.

Quote:
"Yes, the Dead ride behind. They have been summoned," said Elladan.

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-12-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Why's everybody so funny on this thread?

I love the idea! I'll start mine right away, though I'm not sure if I can find a quote.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 03-12-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
I'm going to be Elladan– unless McCaber has a sudden deep objection to being Elrohir.
In fact, Elrohir was the one I was leaning towards. So it looks like we're brothers, Nerwen.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I love the idea! I'll start of mine right away, though I'm not sure if I can find a quote.
Something from here, perhaps?:

Quote:
"No," said Dáin. "You are the father of our Folk, and we have bled for you, and will again. But we will not enter Khazad-dûm. You will not enter Khazad-dûm. Only I have looked through the shadow of the Gate. Beyond the shadow it waits for you still: Durin's Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin's folk walk again in Moria."
Though there's more said about Dáin than by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
In fact, Elrohir was the one I was leaning towards. So it looks like we're brothers, Nerwen.
Well met, brother! This should be interesting.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It is a pity I have only seen one picture of Gildor ever and it was quite horrible. So I spent my latest French lesson by trying to draw him... the results were horrible. If I ever manage to draw a Gildor I'm even somewhat satisfied with, I think I will make it my avvie...

Nerwen and McCaber are brothers? Great! And I'm somewhat amused by the fact that Elladan and Elrohir didn't make it to the fellowship formed by Elrond, but Saruman is willing to send them... And Legate: who shall be the Ring Bearer? Or is it a secret?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Despite my character's taciturnity, I actually did have a direct quote in mind.
Ooh, of course, that wouldn't occur to me. Nice. But what about poor Elrohir? Well, actually now I think there may be something... (at least after this game people will know what they say in all the books )

Quote:
And Legate: who shall be the Ring Bearer? Or is it a secret?
Well, I thought that after the roles are set (or when there are at least more of you people), you could choose a Ring Bearer for yourselves. Or at least offer some candidates, and I'll leave it to the Council to make the final decision.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well I'm all done with changing my location, avator, and signiture to match my character! My signiture isn't exactely a happy one, but I think it says something about Dáin II Ironfoot's worth.

Hey Legate, should we start Private Messaging some people to get them to join the game?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 AM   #17
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
It is a pity I have only seen one picture of Gildor ever and it was quite horrible. So I spent my latest French lesson by trying to draw him... the results were horrible. If I ever manage to draw a Gildor I'm even somewhat satisfied with, I think I will make it my avvie...
Sorry to interrupt everything, I'll just be reading along with this game since I have far too many things to do in life right now, sadly... Anyways...

Not to be bother or anything, but if you don't mind I could draw Gildor for you if you like. I'll have some freetime tomorrow and could make you an avvie.
If not, it's perfectly fine, since I have no idea what Gildor is going to look like and yours probably will be more suitable.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Sorry to interrupt everything, I'll just be reading along with this game since I have far too many things to do in life right now, sadly... Anyways...
*puts on the Voice* And are you sure you don't want to join? Even if you are busy, one can always find some time to squeeze in one more thing to his timetable. This game is surely going to be interesting, and if you have the time to read, why not play as well? It's just making a few posts, that doesn't take much more time than reading.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
What's wrong with Alan Lee's version?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
What's wrong with Alan Lee's version?

Nothing. I never saw that. Actually, I like it very very much. I did not know that Gildor is such a cutie. (The one I saw was in a collectible card game and the picture is downright horrible...) The only slight objection I have against that Gildor is that the colours are so light that it might not look good in 64x64 size. I could try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Not to be bother or anything, but if you don't mind I could draw Gildor for you if you like. I'll have some freetime tomorrow and could make you an avvie.
If not, it's perfectly fine, since I have no idea what Gildor is going to look like and yours probably will be more suitable.
Now that'd be lovely. If you really are willing to do it, please do. I'm sure it'd be lovely. As to how he looks like, well, just don't make him blonde...
Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #21
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

How's this look? I darkened it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gildor2.jpg (10.8 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-13-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #22
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Everybody seems to be putting a lot of effort to my avvie. Thank you very much, Nerwen. I will use that unless THE Ka has a terrible itch to draw Gildor and creates a masterpiece (like she usually does)...

Anyway, I like your new look, Nerwen, and that of Groin's too... This will sure be a great game.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #23
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Nice avvies people!

It was pretty hard to find a nice pic of Tom but this will have to do until / if I find a better one.

I'm not sure if changing the locations or sigs is enhancing the feel of the game as they are seldom looked at but changing the avvie sure catches the eye and reminds us of the roles.

Let's hope this RPG-style (in-character -style that is so as not fuzz the border between RPG's and WW) doesn't scare too many people. I'm really looking forwards to this.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #24
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I had already decided to have a pause because I'm quite busy... But this idea sounded so awesome that I just have to join. Thanks a lot, Legate. There's goodbye to my schoolwork... Nah, at least I have an excuse now.

I'm not sure yet on who I'll be, I have too many ideas. Gollum would be nice, or some sweet orc or the Mouth of Sauron or even Bergil or Forlong. I considered Old Man Willow too but then thought that his posts would probably not be too constructive...

We'll see. I'll try to make up my mind soon.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #25
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It looks like everyone's getting into character already.

Let's get this started as soon as possible, then.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
It looks like everyone's getting into character already.

Let's get this started as soon as possible, then.
Indeed. We just need a little more players...

I like this character stuff so much. I will change my signature and location as soon as I have decided which ones would be best...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #27
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey Legate, since this is the fellowship of Saruman, and you are the moderater, does this mean that your character will be Saruman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Indeed. We just need a little more players...
I'm sending out PMs to some players who are usually active in WW. Hopfully that will get one or two new players.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #28
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Folks, this is all sooo great! I just arrived home and all this stuff simply jumped at me from this page. Wonderful!!! Wonderful!!!!!!!

And yes, I think I should start sending out invitations... any suggestions on possible victims?

And LG, welcome to the Fellowship Just find yourself a suitable character... but not any Mouth of Sauron, for Eru's sake. We are still against Sauron. You can pick yourself a Snaga from Isengard, or Bergil or Forlong, but don't pick from your enemies...

EDIT: x-ed with Groin: Well, I am the Mod here, so it should be me sending it ... anyway. Well, my character, technically, will be Saruman, if you take it like that. But not really. You'll see.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I must confess a grave sin. Okay, it's not grave, and it's not a sin, but I might as well tell you all anyway, before the games starts and I make a slight fool of myself. I've....*whispers* never really read a lot of Tolkien stuff. *ducks various flying objects, then unwhispers* However, my good friend here at college (most of you have "met" her already....my pet duck, as I refer to her on the board) helps me figure out a lot of the Tolkien references and stuff, and she's been helping me a lot with who to pick for the game and stuff. So....before I say who I (or we) have chosen, I may as well put that forward now and tell you all in advance that this may be an extremely interesting game as far as my performance goes. Let me assure you that while I might (more like I will) make some character mistakes and such throughout the game, I'll do my best (with Emily's help of course) to be nice and true to the character of my choosing (whom, for the record, she suggested, but I, after consideration, made the final decision upon). Also, while Emily will be helping me with staying in-character and such things, my reasoning, hunches, accusations, and actual game-play will still be me and me alone, as I don't think it would be fair to get extra help with the game itself when all of you have to rely only on your own wits.

That being said, if you all are still okay with having me in the game, Théodred for me, if you please. (Because, well yeah....if Saruman's not evil anymore, Théodred would still be alive, so unless I'm mistaken he's game. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #30
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You should be fine, as Théodred died a good four months after the council of Elrond.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #31
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

You're fine, time-wise. And Théodred was in the film, so you should be able to get an avatar. The problem is that there's not all that much said about him, and his only direct appearance in the books is in Unfinished Tales, describing the battle where he was killed... er... which now never happened...

Here's what we do know about "you"–

–You're forty-one years old.
–You're an experienced warrior and commander; in fact you're Second Marshall of the Mark (second-in-command after the King).
–You're devoted to your father, and did your best to counter Gríma Wormtongue's influence on him.
–Saruman saw you (with Éomer) as the main obstacle to his conquest of Rohan. At the first battle of the Fords of Isen, he gave special orders that you were to be killed at all costs. (Or rather, he would have done so, had this battle taken place in our version.)
–You're brave– had you, in fact, died, it would have been a very heroic death.
–You're quite likely rather suspicious of Elves.
–Until recently, you would have thought hobbits were a myth.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #32
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
If there's still room, then sign up Gwathagor (ME). I might play as Halbarad, but I'll have to consider; there are so many options.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #33
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Better idea! I'm going to play as BEOWULF! Example of in-character play: "I kill stuff! Gold is good! Dragons destroy inherently flawed pre-christian civilizations!" Ha ha. Man, that would be sweet.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #34
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Welcome aboard, Gwathagor.

And, sorry, but no, you can't play Beowulf.

Lily, if you want to be somebody... er... ethically challenged, let us say, what about Gríma?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #35
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Better idea! I'm going to play as BEOWULF! Example of in-character play: "I kill stuff! Gold is good! Dragons destroy inherently flawed pre-christian civilizations!" Ha ha. Man, that would be sweet.
See a therapist, dearie. See a therapist.

Thanks for the help all! Emily gave me a bunch of bio stuff, so I should be (hopefully) okay as far as my character goes. But there was some stuff in there that she'd told me and I'd forgotten already. Blasted midterms draining my brain.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #36
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:

Lily, if you want to be somebody... er... ethically challenged, let us say, what about Gríma?
Oh gravy, that'd be fun. *plots*
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #37
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Oh gravy, that'd be fun. *plots*
It would, of course, be quite out of character for Théodred not to want to lynch Gríma...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #38
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
It would, of course, be quite out of character for Théodred not to want to lynch Gríma...
Prexactly....I could seriously have some fun with Little Miss Green. Up to you though of course, dear; pick whatever character you think you'll have the most fun with. I've still got Menel's pretty little Orc to play with.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #39
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Sally, no worries. If nothing else, having only the overall idea or, even, (and I'd never expect myself to say that ) knowing at least the movie portrayal of the characters would be sufficient (however, I hasten to point out that this is a concession, not a rule! Whoever has read LotR more than once has no excuse from me!!! ). And personally I think Théodred is a very good pick - and as there's only very little about him in the books, you are not bound much by any character specifications. And I believe Saruman would like to add Théodred to the Fellowship, as kind of a "remedy", to show good face to Théoden (and even Théodred himself).

And only one warning - I think that it's not necessary to point that out, but just to mention it - while in-character issues with other characters inevitably have their place here, this is still a WW game and don't let the roleplaying slip out of hand; you still suspect those you suspect in real. But like I said, there is sure no need to mention that.

Oh, and welcome aboard, Gwathagor! I will sign you up as Halbarad with a question mark, you can still change if you wish.

Btw, I am getting the feeling that the consistency of the Fellowship begins to somewhat resemble the Grey Company. Is that saying something about the nature of this alternative Fellowship?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #40
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I suppose I've got so used to the thought of playing Lobelia by now (see avatar? see location?) that you can take the question mark away.

Here's a bigger version of the avvie.