The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #1521
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I thought you did well, Lal. Honestly, I wasn't really certain at the end there. I was very nervously awaiting the results, thinking of what I would do if you were innocent.

And congratulations on being the first ever person to achieve three roles in one game. That was awesome.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #1522
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

... My rep function doesn't seem to be working....

So-

Phantom: You're evil, and I still don't agree with you. Brilliantly played.

Rikae: Welcome to the club of former EW's. You've done the legacy proud. (There's two of us- we can start a club now to counter the Fenris Wolves!)

To all the wolves: With the exception of Lal, I never even guessed. Very well done, though I expected a bit more of a fight when phantom started outing you.

To all the gifted: Didn't figure you out either. I thought the good team pulled it off quite well.

To Nogmodgod: That. Was. Epic. Really great job, especially doing it by yourself. I loved the narrations.

To everyone else too numerous to mention, that was a lot of fun. Thanks for the great game, even if it did get a little quiet there at the end.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #1523
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
Sorry phantom - I was useless, banging on about Lommy and so on. I'm glad you didn't listen to me.
You and me both. I was advocating Lommy or morm. Or Shasta. Or Roa. Or anyone besides Nilp, really.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #1524
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yay!

It was truely an awesome game. The plots were wonderful to read.
My werewolf radar is definately malfunctioning.

I dare say that it was quite frustrating at times, I'm such a slow poster; have to make sure tags are right and read through it a few times to make sure it says what I mean to say. I'd get caught up, and ready to post - then there would be one or two new pages to read through - making my post obsolete. Though it was definately entertaining.

Thanks for hosting Nog, and great job everyone!
Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #1525
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! A pint of 'bitter'. :p

I can't believe nobody remembered Diamond sealing Mac the Ranger's fate on DAY 2.

THIS IS WHY WE KEEP POSTING AND REPOSTING THE VOTES.

Well, we tried our best. Kudos to the good guys. Most of my accolades, however, go to the phantom, who, it seems, read the Evil Team's mind uncannily. A truly bonjwa* performance.

Rikae, mistress, may I ask why you chose us? I don't recall Cailín or I having ever played with you, so . . . why? In any case, it was fun serving under you, even though sometimes I don't obey you.

The plot, cut, defeated.
I intend to copy this sig forever - so far so good...
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:15 AM   #1526
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
*hats off* (oh crap, that one still has his hat on... Hats off, I say!)

This was the first game in which I actually survived till the end! Yay! Awesomely played, everyone.

Lal, you were wonderful. I suppose I should have started suspecting you when I realised that you were the only one I didn't suspect... A very neat performance.

Also, great job wizards, both of you. (And I just started to think that the EWs, the old and the new, happened to play sisters...) And wolves and gifteds of course as well. I really was quite out of track in this game, but at least I didn't suspect any gifteds (but unfortunately no wolves either...). And thanks to the mod as well. The narrations were great, but the Swedish-speaking soldiers in the last narration were a bit too much..
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #1527
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
38 pages of game... wow!

A mad game, especially with GW and EW almost neutralising each other. It was a little disappointing that the ordos had nothing to do but follow the GW's lead for quite a while, but in the end it was them who won the game (right, Roa was the ranger, but what she contributed had nothing to do with being gifted...)

Lal already stated that phantom did well in not listening to his gifteds. When we got to know the EW's identity, I made a list of how likely each player was to be turned into a wolf by Rikae, thinking I knew her, but apart from Aganzir I was completely wrong. On top of that, after I was forced to reveal, I also tried to convince tp that Kath was a wolf...

Btw, I almost protected Volo the first night (not thinking he was the seer, just that it was likely there were some out there who would love to get rid of him) - but he ended up being my second choice after Lommy.

An afterthought:
Looking at how this game affected tp's sleep and work, and being in the position to witness first hand just how emotionally taxing and depressing it was to Rikae, is it possible that some of us take Werewolf too seriously? I mean, it's a game, and while it's most fun when everybody plays their best, like it is with all games, it's really just a game and no competition. There are no titles, medals, rankings or whatever, and I think a player who is fun to play with will receive more reps in the end than the player who brought home the victory.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 AM   #1528
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Wow.

Thanks for the game & narrations, Nogrod! Both were enjoyable.

Congratulations to phantom & his team. You played awesomely. Though I still think that the seer shouldn't get a dream the night he's killed...

But most of all thanks to Rikae and our lovely team. If I had had to name one person I thought to be the EW after day 1, I would have said you. Was it intentional that you were referring to the wolves' night 1 discussion in your first post? Though what made me think so more was that you didn't suspect me considerably.
And little as it lasted, it was nice to plot with you, Nilp and Cailín. I was so frustrated when Lommy said I played like a wolf who didn't know her fellows since I knew them from the very beginning!

I don't think I have ever played so badly as a wolf as I played on day 1. I was unbelievably tired and didn't have the energy to post anything proper so my posts ended up being mostly short responses to quotes, which someone (Brinn I think) noticed. Oh well.
It must have been funny for Nog to read my PM's to the others on night 2 - they were pretty desperate. I was sure Lommy was a gifted; I couldn't understand how she had spotted me based only on that one IC post! Well, at least I won't have a chance to become too proud. :-D

Rikae told us to get Lommy killed, either by lynching or in the night, so that's why my case against her.

Volo was our pack's kill while Durelin killed Kitanna. I think it was Nilp who originally brought up the idea of killing him, and I agreed since I thought it would reduce the pressure on me and might help to frame Legate. Our other option was either Mac or Rikae (). Eventually we sent in the names of Volo and Rikae since we thought killing Mac might look a bit too much like framing Legate. Boy, would it have been nice to get two gifteds killed on the first night!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #1529
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
So why did you kill me rather than Roa?
Gwath - it was complicated. I sent Nogrod my deliberations at the time.

Firstly, I could not be sure exactly who the Ranger was protecting, and this was one thing I could not get wrong - with the odds so against me, I couldn't afford to lose a single night kill. I mean, one assumes that Durelin was protected the night she was turned, but what if there had been a bluff? I reckoned the Ranger would protect Durelin on alternate nights, but I couldn't be sure which nights they were. Who else would the Ranger protect? Well, I drew up a list of choices I might protect, if I were Ranger, and Roa would be one of them, if I thought her innocent, and the Ranger, for all I knew, might think just that. I really never thought Roa would actually be the Ranger herself. During my second day as lone wolf (the day I died) I became convinced that Morm was the Ranger. Morm, you would have died that night.

Secondly, I thought you (Gwath) might have been a choice for phantom as Ranger, and I really, really wanted to kill the Ranger so that I could do what I liked at night.

Thirdly, you had said you did not suspect me. So there was no trail back to me.

Oh and I have a lot of repping to do, I've run out of reps now so please wait! (Roa, btw, if your button doesn't work, then right-click for a new window)
Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #1530
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Wonderful game, people. I have yet to decide whether phantom is just that good or that lucky. I knew I had been dreamt of when phantom and his Seer still went after me despite Rikae's bewildering action.

Diamond, I believed your GW claim without thinking. You seemed to know I was evil from Day 2 - and were dropping half-joking, half-serious Seer/GW hints. Only later I realised you had voted for Mac, which of course the GW would not have done. Was that really just mere chance that you chose me as the target of your silly EVIL joke?

Nilp, Agan, my lovely furry friends, well-played.

Rikae, you were fantastic - very bold.

And of course, Nogmod, you were an outstanding mod, and your dedication to the game is admirable. Thanks for allowing me to play another Wizards game.

Time to be honest: I hardly played at all. After Day 1, Eomer made all the posts with me shouting in the background that everything he said sounded horribly suspicious.

P.S. I would rep you all, but my laptop will not let me. Barrowdowners are the greatest werewolf players in the universe.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #1531
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
P.S. I would rep you all, but my laptop will not let me. Barrowdowners are the greatest werewolf players in the universe.
There seems to be problems with repping (and Quick Links, and Search, &c) in threads that are longer than one page. But it's possible if you right-click for a new window, as Lalaith said.

By the way Nog, is it possible to see who volunteered for a wizard? And who were on the wizards' lists in the beginning?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #1532
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
Diamond, I believed your GW claim without thinking. You seemed to know I was evil from Day 2 - and were dropping half-joking, half-serious Seer/GW hints. Only later I realised you had voted for Mac, which of course the GW would not have done. Was that really just mere chance that you chose me as the target of your silly EVIL joke?
I became convinced you were evil while reading over the Day 1 posts, but that doesn't say much as I often become convinced of innocent players' evilness (Lommy, for instance). It was Day 2 that made me really start chomping at the bit and you were one of my top Dream choices as soon as I became Seer that night. I believe I told tp that you were "fishy."

This may have just been me reacting to Eomer's posting style. I have a tendency to always think he's evil, no matter what. And of course when you admitted to him doing most of the posting, I remembered my long lost vendetta from the first DW game, and became rabid. Diamond the Rabid Seer.

Quote:
My laptop does the same thing. I have to right click on the scales and choose to "open in a new tab" whenever I want to rep someone. Bit annoying, but it gets the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
I can't believe nobody remembered Diamond sealing Mac the Ranger's fate on DAY 2.

THIS IS WHY WE KEEP POSTING AND REPOSTING THE VOTES.
I forget about it, myself, in the heat of the Day, and only remembered that Night. I even sat there, rehearsing my "reveal" post and trying to think if there was anything in my past that would definitively prove me a liar. Then I thought, "Nah, it'll work."

That was a mad, mad day.

Last edited by Diamond18; 06-16-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #1533
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Don't have much time to comment now- I'll say more later.

Just real quick I thought I'd let everyone in on the secret. I set it up so that if Roa ever had to reveal and her claim was questioned or challenged, she could prove who she was by pointing back to secret markers in my posts.

The final day I was alive I used my first four posts to leave behind a clue.

Take the first and last letter of each post. What does it spell?

Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #1534
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
By the way Nog, is it possible to see who volunteered for a wizard? And who were on the wizards' lists in the beginning?
I think it's up to those individuals who volunteered to tell us that if they wish. But there were seven of them...

And sadly I don't have those first lists anymore as I had them on paper and had to get rid of that paper when Lommy and Greenie turned in here for summer vacation, just to avoid any catastrophes if one of them had seen the list...

Sorry.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #1535
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think it's up to those individuals who volunteered to tell us that if they wish. But there were seven of them...
That little? I would have expected there to be much more.

Well, like I already said I volunteered for the EW. And am, after all, happy I wasn't chosen.
That much I didn't lie.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #1536
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Some quotes and sources of amusement from around the game:

Dury: An interesting idea, which really looked like a Wolf's plan.

Dia: A rough gem of truth from Diamond.

tp: ...polished by tp.

tp
: One of the many great points by tp that made people suspect him for being useless.

tp: : D : D : D : D With this I understood why tp is said to be good. Poor Roa, you have to admit that this was a good defence. Clashes like this are why I enjoy knowing the roles, and being dead (Were I alive on Day2 - I'd have gone crazy).

Legate: Cheery - Oh really! I laughed at Legate saying tp being more cheery than on Day1 and giving a possible explanation. Well, nearly right, I guess. : D

Legate: Then again, Legate felt more extatic than ever.

Lhuna: : D: D Lhuna getting to the core of truth as soon as that.

Cailín: Evil mother-in-law spotting her Innocent daughter's plan, and poisoning the apple.

morm: I love you. Forgetting the dead is not nice.

Ka: I am most amused by the thought that Aganzir has various degrees on evilness, only evilness. : D

Rikae: Everybody who knew her role must have been very, very amused. Rikae, you gloated and revealed a bit too much. Which makes me wonder - you said at some point you knew that you had been dreamt of - when and how did you figure that out?

Dury : Wolves know whom to like. : D

Rikae: Gloatage for the win

Dury: Except for stating so many obvious things, she got it right about Rikae - again.

Kath: The Harry Potter reference made me laugh. : D

tp: I got afraid that Brin would be cursed by Rikae, because she was both very right and very Innocent.

Mac: So, Mac even had the time to device a whole code language with tp. : D

Kath: I noticed that both Agan and Nilp said assuming that the Wolves can't communicate is wrong. Did anyone make the connection from inside the game?

Rikae: Please, notice this, I cried. Knowing Rikae's role might have given loads of ideas about the Wolves' strategy on Day2.

Aganzir: Clever of her to turn GW into EW, but Agan is quite wrong with her jest.

Dia: A very good comparison of the situation.

tp
: : D

Dia: Clever answer if there ever was one.

Eonwe: You should have put it as your sig. : D I hope that the first game isn't the last, I'm getting the impression that you could be quite hooked to the game.

Mac: Sure : D Actually this encourages me to try to make a role that's both good and evil at the same time, rather than neutral.

Rikae: Yeah, sure...

Shasta: Aww... I'm not the only one who loves Di, although I can't say I did back in that game.

Lommy: The reaction to Agan's RPG comment was confusing and most amusing.
Aww, thanks - I wouldn't call myself a WW master, that's reserved for tp - for now.
The discussion with Agan is plain funny. : D "It's pointless to separate some knowledge to be RL-knowledge and some to be BD-knowledge."

Dia: Her reaction to Rikae was amusing, but oh, she's so wrong about Nilp. It's not the first time he did that!! I was a Wolf with him in Oddie's game, he missed Night1 and Day1. I hope you, Nilp, aren't making a habit or strategy out of that. ;p

Brin: Wow! Two Wolves on the top of her list and one in the second group. Great spotting, generally sensibly played.

Lily: I personally think that such debates between two players are quite revealing - though I admit that I was leaning to having Roa as a Wolf. In any case, quarrels are fully encouraged by me.

Rikae: : D I wonder what people would have thought about Poe had his poem been titled "Penguin".

"Roa": Mr. Roa would be a wonderful WW player. : D Make him join!

tp: Good post! Doesn't feel too Seer-ish to me, but quite definite. I was hoping somebody mentions Cailin's suspicious vote.

Dia: I too like it when you bring dramatic terminology to the game. That's why you're the mod of my dream team.

Cailín: Haha! And they didn't listen to you about the wonderful suggestion... : (

Brin: You bet she's clever, yet that's exactly what she did.

Cailín: Rikae ordered Lommy's head? This is a overdoing it, and against my logic.

Rikae: : D Easier done than said. A good bluff too.

tp
: Too much sense in one post to be good for the health.

tp: : D I guess that's how it should go - in WW.

Lhuna: Ah, you should have done it!! Well, not you, then me. :P Hey, that's actually an idea for a WW theme!

Rikae:

Rikae: The craziness continues - until she falls exhausted.

tp: Yes, do that - said tp who didn't. :P

tp: A very good post.

tp: : D Tactics, tactics.

Dia: Easy to say as you know that they're the evil ones, but this is still a good point and post!

Lalaith: What, Leggie is not perfect? : D

tp: Wonderful!!

Dia: Exactly!

Sally: Exactly, with you too!

tp: tp=good guy

Dia: The lie part was not very necessary, but at least it ate the Baddies' thinking time at Night, which is good. In any case brave and quickly done!

Rikae: So, did she achieve what she wanted or not. Hmm...

Sally: Great, hope in sense arrived.

Lommy: Good point, something Wolves wouldn't say.

Sally: The last row made my night.

Lommy: Funny edit, hihi.

tp: Nice last row. In either case the end of their relationship.

Lommy: Lommy going hyper. : D

Rikae: Why not. : D

Sally: Hehehee. Just as tp's on Day2 if I'm not mistaken.

Gwath: Except for being wrong otherwise, his answer to Finnlomien was a good one.

Roa: :> Quite agreeable.

Gwath: Not a bad way of listing.

Sally: I was horrified at first when I saw this and didn't notice it was a fake for some time.

Roa: Good analysis, I was afraid that Nilp'd pull through to the very end.

Sally: The whole discussion was very hilarious.

tp: Well done, I was headdesking all along because of that guy.

Kath: You're so wonderfully kind in this post. : )

Nilp: And this is why Nilp would be the other mod of my WW dream team.

Rikae: This hurt! Take that tp, take that!

tp: And now tp is being too logical again, spoiling the fun.

morm: Good.
The WW games that mainly revolve around Gifteds and sure knowledge (Seers) are prone to get boring by the time playing safe becomes possible - lynching only known targets, adding a bit to the general knowledge each day. That way doesn't need any Daily discussion, Ordos are just pawns. I finally understood this after the second game I modded. There shouldn't be a "safe" situation in the game mechanics. For one side doing anything at all is useless, even if they know their enemies. For the other it's pure gloating and doing whatever they wish - until they get tired of it. If two players can end the whole game whenever they wish...
This has been a most enjoyable game and both Wizards (like pretty much everybody else) played well, very well. Tp didn't feel annoying to me at all when he finally took over - probably because I got to chat with him and could calculate the Nightly strategies based on knowing everyone's roles (or from someone's perspective of knowing roles). He sure had the situation under control and it began getting quite annoying that everyone questioned and complained about him but still followed his orders - there was nothing else to do, but why be annoyed by it. He really had no other choice but to control the game in a role like that (and he played his part bloody well) - I mean I lie in WW when on the Good side and now I don't deny or regret it. But, then again, - tp controlling everything - now that is the boring part.
That was why I wanted to start bantering as a Ghost - yes, that's against the rules and I don't question your decision, morm. I do assure you that I'm extra careful these days about what I say when dead. Basicly - I do discuss the game with players who are in it, but what I say is pure banter or just questions about the players assumptions. The Dream WW Team thread reveals much much more - but then again nobody knows which parts do and which don't.

Lommy: Haha, good! Myself, I think that a very great deal of stuff can be found by looking how people react to Lommy, after figuring her role. You really should argue with everybody as much as possible, especially Noggie, Agan and maybe Lily (I'm still learning to read her). Not that I'm always right about them, mind you!

Brin: Yea! So might as well listen to tp about doing something useful.

Sally: Ouch : D

Celuien: But Celuien was a bit too quick to assume Rikae to be the EW, while it was still not 100% clear. Too much certaintly. Then again, no more harm done.

Lalaith: Another great sig on offer.

Dury: Blah!! Who's the lucky one here. Night2 and I don't mean me dreaming of Rikae...

Brin: Yes, that's how it goes. : D

Lily: Not too much - just nicely over the top. :F Noggie's narrations form a very nice though vague story. I do hope there will be an ending narration this time...

Mac: Oh well... So it goes. I was very annoyed when I was killed. Noggie sure knows. But ending after such a good Day1 (and Night2, after Nogrod revealed its outcome) was no shame. This might have been my best game ever, even not counting the Nights. I was so sure I wouldn't be killed, so you Wolves truly surprised and annoyed me. Suits you right to lose. Though then again, Day2 looked so crazy that I probably wouldn't have had time to participate well.

Aganzir: You lot knowing one another was the one thing everybody assumed to be too dangerous to be done. That amused me.

I'll send reps.

Last edited by Volo; 06-22-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #1537
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I do apologize for not showing up at the end; I was on a 16-hour bus ride, then a 9-hour nap when I got home.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #1538
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*chuckles* Ah, Volo, you make me giggle.

I'll probably end up repping you all tomorrow. I have a rather boring meeting at which I can hijack wireless. And again....

++Good game, everyone!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #1539
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow. What fun! I started reading (I should say scanning) after the beginning of Day 3 (after all, a certain couple of rpg's had ground to a halt). What a ride! I'm really happy that this little game I made up is so playable by anyone who wants to give it a go. You did great, Nogrod! Needless to say, the phantom was awesome too. I was stunned and impressed by Diamond's coming out as GW then revealed by death as the late seer.

I think I can make a case that the scale was tipped in the favor of the GW. In DW I, the Good guys were allowed to talk to each other during the Day but not during the Night, and this gave the EW too great an advantage. Worse, in DW I the GW started with no gifteds whereas the EW started with 3 werewolves and chose a fourth on Night One.

In DW II, it was decided that the Good guys could communicate at Night just like the Evil guys, which evened things up. However, the good guys started out with 3 gifteds. This is what tipped the balance, I think, in favor of the good guys, and here's why: whenever the good guys had a seer, there were two Scries per Night for the good guys whereas the EW only had one. That's a powerful advantage! And it is why in DW-I, I made it so that the GW had started with no gifteds. My purpose was so that there should be a general sense of panic amongst the ordos with the EW almost assuredly getting a fourth werewolf on Night One, taking two ordos out per Night for three Nights (or more) running; it's why there needs to be such a big village. Of course, the GW would scry for a seer on Night One, but the seer wouldn't get to scry until Night Two. And only after the third Night does the GW have all the resources available to him or her, thus finally making it a more even game; by which time the EW might have 6 werewolves, or might only have 3 or 4 depending. It would probably make for a more intense game, and more exciting.

So the upshot, I believe, Rikae, is that you were fighting an uphill battle from Day Two onward. This takes nothing away from the stellar play of both good and bad guys. And I think Nogrod's choices were worth making; after all, DW is a work in progress (if there is ever a DW III). I wonder, though, if Rikae intuitively sensed that the playing field was (unintentionally) tilted against her, and therefore played her very risky trump card of claiming to be GW? Pure speculation; maybe she just sensed that she had already been scried.

Anyway, it was great fun to see the action unfold, even if it did interrupt the flow of a couple of rpgs.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #1540
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's a great concept lmp! And I'm sure we'll see a DW III maybe next year, maybe the one following that as it's kind of "mega-game" you can't put forwards very soon after another has ended. Rarity is one of its assets (DW I was played about exactly two years from the DW II).
*so the next mod get ready for I'm going to play in the next one*

I see the point of your discussion about the changes in the relative strengths of both sides lmp but I'd like to stress that the GW basically scried/ dreamt of one wolf/EW per Night. In a village that starts from almost thirty that's just unbelievably good luck - or sharp-eyedness... stress on the word unbelievable in both cases!

There were so many points in this game the whole thing might have taken a totally different route had one dream / scry been different... Had tp not scried Dury (without a seer eg. with his only scry!) there would have been three wolves in the end... that would have made a difference!

Or taking an example from the other perspective... Had Rikae taken as her last wolf (which she didn't know was to become her last) someone like Lommy or Shasta the game would still be going on... or had she not de-scried Lalaith but actually managed to get herself one more wolf at the Night before...

So I think we had quite a nice balance this time... it was only that our Wizards produced some very unprobable actions!

But surely it's for the next one to host this game to decide whether to change the rules and into which direction...

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-16-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #1541
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm ready to play again!

I think I need to be louder still.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #1542
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I think I need to be louder still.
You could...
but honestly, at times you really played fine! I mean you really posted during some of the Days!

Even if Lommy and Greenie are sleeping now I can tell you behind their backs that we all three appreciated your activity quite a lot!

Great (at times)!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #1543
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Okay, then: I was one of them, as tp guessed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Right before the game started I made a list of the most likely Wizards, you see, and Nerwen was in the top five.
Perhaps that will console the Faceless One in his lifelong guilt at having taken part in the bloodthirsty lynching of an innocent Nerwen.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #1544
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I know I said I applied, but I didn't actually. I had the time, but since it's been so long since I last played werewolf, to dive into a Wizard role seemed the height of foolish bravado. I thought about it wistfully for a moment or two then figured I'd have my hands and/or paws full enough should I get scried.

And I was right.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #1545
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Maybe I should now reveal this one as both those included have come forth...

As I looked at the list of the candidates my mind immediately came with a "perfect" game where Aganzir would have been the EW and Nerwen would have been the GW.

I really thought of making it thus.

But then my "principaled nature" (depending on what principles we're talking about! ) won me over and demanded me to throw a dice as I do believe one should make these random indeed and not to just pick the roles.

The first dice showed the phantom...

I did for a moment thought of recurring back to my choices as he would have been so obvious a Wizard-candidate.

But I threw the dice again and it turned out Rikae!

Then I thought this was just meant to be...
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #1546
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
In DW II, it was decided that the Good guys could communicate at Night just like the Evil guys, which evened things up. However, the good guys started out with 3 gifteds. This is what tipped the balance, I think, in favor of the good guys, and here's why: whenever the good guys had a seer, there were two Scries per Night for the good guys whereas the EW only had one. That's a powerful advantage!
I agree. It wouldn't hurt to adjust it for next time. Of course, we can't forget the personality aspect. When the GW and the EW think the same way, well....

Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #1547
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

All right, a quick review from my perspective.

First, I did not tell the gifteds who their friends were unless it was already revealed to everyone. I didn't see the need to take such a risk. From Night 1 pms-
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
At this point I am not going to tell you who the other gifteds are. If there comes a Night where I am certain I am going to challenge the following day I will let you all know each other's identities, and I will also provide you with a code that will allow the Seer to tell the Hunter and Ranger who they dreamed of the night before and what their role was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Know that I will not give a full response to suggestions that you make, for you may in fact suggest someone who is a fellow gifted, and at this point I do not wish for you to know each other, in case the EW scries you two Nights in a row and gains access to all of your info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I'm not going to do much lying to you and your fellow gifteds, but I fully intend to be misleading about certain things, or rather omit certain things, or leave certain pieces of information out there that if given to the EW would do nothing but harm him.

Sorry, but I just have to consider that one of you could be turned into a WW, and keeping that in mind with every pm I send you is something that could actually swing the game in my favor should you be converted to Wolfdom.
Also, I didn't care about protecting my identity all that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I don't care if the EW finds out who I am early on. It's not like he'll challenge early. Plus I plan on revealing fairly early anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I don't think it is likely I will stay hidden past Day 5, so is it really worth it to try and hide when I could just reveal myself and gain full control of the lynch mob?
Mac had a good handle on potential wizards early, listing Nerwen, Agan, and Rikae as the most likely EWs.

Before the first day started I made a list of thirteen people that it would be acceptable to lynch. Then I said this-
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
And if we lynch someone on the list and they are in fact a gifted, don't be too upset with me. I simply can't keep all of you off the lists, for it would be too easy for you to help the EW narrow his list down should you be converted.
But in fact there were no gifteds on the list. It was a bluff in case one of them got converted.

On Night 2 Volo was quite certain that Mac was good and possibly gifted. And then Lalaith told me she suspected Volo was a good guy and said that she didn't feel good about Aganzir. Then Volo said he didn't suspect Lommy. And then at one point Lal said Cailin made her uneasy. Mac agreed, and also voiced mistrust of Rikae.

So don't let them tell you they didn't get anything right. They got quite a lot right.

Let me tell you, it was extremely helpful to hear from my gifteds and get their reactions. Sometimes it helped me form an opinion on something I hadn't thought about much, other times they agreed with me and it confirmed what I was already thinking, and other times they would actually disagree and yet confirm what I was already thinking because I would reread posts to see what it was that was making my gifted think what they were thinking.

And yes, kudos to Mac for wanting to protect Volo the night he was killed. However, I had already decided that I would never protect the Seer. I didn't want the EW to ever think I was protecting the Seer and scry them the next night to keep them from using the Seer gift.

On Night 3 Di proved to be right with her opinions about LomLom and Caiomer. So she definitely got things right as well.

I'm sort of debating whether or not I should post my pm to Lalaith here- the one in which I lay out the code that would've been used had there not been a new WW created and I had managed to get a Seer. What do you think, Lal? Show everyone, or save it for the future.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #1548
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, my dearest old wiz, it was your code so you decide. I don't think it would hurt to reveal..you could always change/vary it.

You know, there is a pattern here. The last time you and I played together, the gamed was also modded by Nogrod. You also pretended to be the Hunter, then. (I dreamt of you before I died, found you innocent, and then aided and abetted you to announce your false Huntership...)
Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #1549
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

In my infinite wisdom (), I also volunteered for wizardship.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #1550
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I also volunteered for the role of wizard and would have made more time if I were chosen.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #1551
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I volunteered, too (very much to Diamond's surprise? ). I actually expected Nogrod to make me the EW to spite me for all my pro GW rules talk pregame.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #1552
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Mac-Daddy -- Oh come on, we all know he applied to be a wizard.

I was hoping you and Rikae were the two wizards, that would have been funny.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #1553
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Good game everybody.
To answer a few questions:
I thought I'd be dreamed or scried early from the time I got my role. I seem to be very visible, for some reason - and when it was revealed that Mac was a gifted, I was pretty much sure & so played under the assumption my role was known.

My original list of seven was (if I remember right):
A Little Green
Aganzir
Macalaure
Nilp
Cailin
Legate
Roa

chosen mostly because I thought they would make good wolves. I haven't played with Nilp, but I've heard of him, and being partial to suicidal schemes myself I thought we might work well together. I'm pretty sure I played with Cailin at some point in the past (or maybe just read a game?) - anyway, I had the impression she could fly under the radar. I wanted Mac on my team so I wouldn't have to keep so many secrets from him, actually.

Lalaith, I'm sorry I left you as the lone wolf - I really shouldn't have told Durelin and Celuien about each other, of course. Anyway, I think you played your role well, but unfortunately were put at a disadvantage by being scried by both wizards. Still,going through three different roles in one game - how cool is that?

LMP, I did feel like I was at a disadvantage because of the GW's two "dreams" per night (although he didn't get to use them most nights... ). It didn't occur to me that I could prevent a seer dream by scrying the seer, either, or I would have scried Di instead of killing her (I strongly suspected she was a seer). I thought there was no way for me to stop the seer dream, and the most I could do was make TP "waste" his scry.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #1554
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I played with Cailin at some point in the past (or maybe just read a game?) - anyway, I had the impression she could fly under the radar.
I must really not be very noteworthy if you cannot remember. Yes, I have played with you before, several times, and once killed you as a lone wolf in Durelin's game (which, by the way, I won - though mostly thanks to Nogrod )

You also killed me once in Weres of Eire.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #1555
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
(Oh, and now that this game is over I'm totally going to finish creating my Sims then play them according to the game )
My Sims pictures are now up on Facebook, but I suppose it's possible to provide a link to the albums even if you don't have a FB account, so feel free to ask me if you're interested to see them. There are some rather funny ones.

I played my sims according to the game as I best could - I was also tempted by the idea of killing them off one by one, but didn't eventually do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
LMP, I did feel like I was at a disadvantage because of the GW's two "dreams" per night (although he didn't get to use them most nights... ). It didn't occur to me that I could prevent a seer dream by scrying the seer, either, or I would have scried Di instead of killing her (I strongly suspected she was a seer). I thought there was no way for me to stop the seer dream, and the most I could do was make TP "waste" his scry.
When I spoke to Volo after my death, I wouldn't believe him when he said he dreamed also the night he was killed. It just didn't make sense that we could, theoretically, kill a seer every night yet there would still be no night without a dream or two. I understand the point that all information should be given as soon as possible - the wolf kill occurs only later in the night, and it would feel a bit futile if the GW had to wait the whole night for the result of the dream, but still...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #1556
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 View Post
I was hoping you (Mac) and Rikae were the two wizards, that would have been funny.
That crossed my mind... but in the end I decided to care for their sanity...

And I still feel like being a godfather or a marriage broker to them (within WW-games that is!) so I had to take care of my responsibilities and not to throw them up against each other...

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-18-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #1557
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Oh wow, a lot has happened and I have quite a bit to read, eek. Well, at least I'll have something good to read for the first of this summer. Have been looking for a good read.

Sorry I haven't been able to give rep yet, I've been out and away for some important life changes and trying to find a new job (oh yay...), but I'll start on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
I am most amused by the thought that Aganzir has various degrees on evilness, only evilness. : D
Oh pfft, you know what I meant.

No one's completely one shade of evil, only 'good' has that rather amazing ability. For example, you have phantom's evil ego type (still makes you laugh though, laughs can't be all evil though, hmm), I've been chrisened Kaa for some odd reason, Lommy is scary at times (but quite delightful at the same, sort of like going to a lovely dinner party and suddenly realizing that you've been killed), Di has her own unique style, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
There are some rather funny ones.
That Gwath and McCab dancing one is hilarious.

You've reminded me to finish mine too.

~ Kaa the Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #1558
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
My Sims pictures are now up on Facebook, but I suppose it's possible to provide a link to the albums even if you don't have a FB account, so feel free to ask me if you're interested to see them. There are some rather funny ones.
I'm interested if only to see what you made us all look like....

Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #1559
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Wow. I laughed so hard I cried. I mean, I'm really tired so I'm easily amused, but still. That's hilarious. I especially like the one of Legate that's labelled "Laughing at Sally's joke?" It gave me a conniption fit. Oh, and the one of you smacking me? Priceless. (trollop. )

And wow, that looks a lot like me. I mean, I'm not skinny like that, but everything else is perfect. *chuckles* If you don't mind, I think I'll steal one for my facebook picture for a while.

I'll have to look at them all, but those were awesome. I think you Finns get a little too involved with your werewolving. *thinks of Legate's game*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #1560
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Okay, give us a link, Agan. I'm dying of curiosity.