The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Tol-in-Gaurhoth XLVII: Dueling Wizards Werewolf II

Prologue

The wind died suddenly. The small birds that had been chirping their songs fell silent in a hush. All the little creatures of the dark forest froze to where they were. It was the wolf’s hour as the people of old called it, the moment just before the new dawn broke the dominion of the night.

But it was not yet the time for the sun to come. Something was not right and all the creatures of the forest sensed it. There was tension in the forest around the little village. Every creature held their breath.

Something was moving in this hour, in the dead of the night, out of place. It was not a shadow but rather an un-light or lightlessness that crept through the woods towards the palisade wall of the village.

Only the blackbird continued its mellow but dark melody for a short while and then glided quietly down to the branches of an old spruce near the rugged footpath leading to the village.

“So you’ve come at last?” the blackbird queried softly singing towards the oncoming form composed from the absence of light. “Such a beautiful hour… quite perfect!” it sang with almost joyful a tune. The forest and its creatures held their breath.

Hush!

It was not so much a voice but a thought that just entered the blackbird’s mind. It fell silent slightly embarrassed by the revelation of its own zeal to the strange being’s arrival.

You’ve chosen me a body to take over, a body whose soul is to be dispatched to the eternal discord outside Eä’s harmony?

The blackbird gave a short agreeing whistle but decided not to press its enthusiasm this time.

We’ve things to do, blackbird. And it’s coming. Right behind me. Hurry now, you singer of the sad songs.

The blackbird let out a low coo and flew off the branch. “Follow me!” it whistled into the dark night and flew ahead into the village.

The lightless had been right. Even if it was not yet the time for the dawn to arrive, the rays of light came shining through the leaves in the forest, following the path of the absence of light. A slight wind broke it into kaleidoscopic shards and crystals filling the whole forest with vibrating light.

The small birds, ready to launch their songs to the coming dawn, held their voices. All the little creatures that had just grown confident it was all clear again took back the step they had been ready to make and fell low. The forest was still and immovable.

A little swallow flew into the brightest ray of light creeping towards the village and went to and fro frantically in the glow of the light.

“I saw it! Just a moment ago!” the swallow chirped in the silent forest as it twisted and turned in the light. “I’ve chosen you a pure soul to gain the bliss of the everafter! Please hurry! The sun is coming!”

Suddenly the swallow realised the light was already entering the village through the slits and cracks in the palisade wall. “Wait! Wait! I’ll show you!” It hurried over the branches and followed the light into the village.

The sun came forwards right after the strange light had disappeared, as if having been trailing it. The forest burst into the usual swarm and song accompanying the coming dawn.

In an hour the people would wake up to a world changed to them.

~*~

To discuss this game go here.

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-01-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote