The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
The Eye **Spoiler Warning** Rings of Power S1E4 - "The Great Wave"

Another week... and am I the first Downer to watch it again? Dear me, how either I or the show have fallen if that's the case.

The stream-of-thought things I noted:
  • ...still sounds like "Adan." That orks needs to work on his "r"s!
  • Is Míriel having the Faramir dream? ... Seems so...
  • Wait, I just heard the name "Míriel!"
  • What--Pharazôn has a son? Are there two Pharazôns?
  • Well, I like the populism angle of Pharazôn (however many there are) as leader of the King's Men.
  • Did he say his name is "Kevin?"
  • I'm not sure that it's intended for Míriel have more queenly presence than Galadriel, but she does--which I like on the former, but not so much on the latter.
  • Isildur the dreamer doesn't make canonical sense--the one anecdote of we have of him in youth is as a DOER.
  • "Dead brother!" Anárion is... dead? AND his older brother? Well, this doesn't bode well for the Line of Anárion, I must say.
  • Okay, that time I heard the "r".
  • Wait--"adar" = "father" = "do you know how the orks first came into being." It's the missing link! The archaeopteryx of Orks!
  • Sirion or Ossir? I suppose both are verboten...
  • Not a god yet has to be "this is Sauron"-bait.
  • "Here to Orodruin"--I'm gonna say, "yup," this is the making of Mordor we're seeing.
  • "Theo" is still a stupid name.
  • The Southlands story still belongs to the horror genre, I see.
  • If you tell me that Celebrimbor is inventing this recollection of Eärendil, I'd believe it...
  • The whole "deception of Durin" story seems... I dunno, either like it made our intro to the Dwarves pointless or redundant or inconsistent or something...
  • Okay, I like a secret knock!
  • It's a bit a late to be finding mithril... but the whole timeline is pointless to nitpick in this show.
  • Betcha that wee bit of mithril becomes an Elven ring or three.
  • Why do the bars on Galadriel's prison look like a 21st century wrought-iron fence?
  • A mortal Southron princeling should not be teaching the granddaughter of Finwë politics--never mind the granddaughter of Olwë or the student of Melian.
  • Okay, Halbrand is a Mary Stu. It's okay. But he is.
  • That the King of Númenor has declined is a very... Númenórean motif.
  • Wait, is a that a palantír--it is! Why are six missing? I mean, it makes sense that they're in Númenor--and that's kind of under-developed by Tolkien: what were they doing in the 2nd Age? Did the House of Silmarien have them all? Were there others? How did Elendil end up with them all?
  • Theo, I think you should really think of going back without that sack.
  • Good timing, Arondir. But I still suspect you've saved a Nazgûl.
  • This is very Boromir's death. Are we going to that well again?
  • Saved by the Sun! Not a bad motif!
  • Are we giving Elrond Daddy Issues™? I guess... that's not... terribly... inappropriate. Still.
  • Durin and HIS dad have a very... Dwarven? thing going on.
  • Well, this is a creepy bartender! An anti-Barliman?
  • I like Míriel's look between without the leafy antlers.
  • Making a public pronouncement indoors in a city that large seems like it's making an event rather exclusive...
  • So, it seems we're going to get some Tar-Minastírian alliance PRE-Sauron... the timeline here is so muddled!