The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2003, 10:25 PM   #1081
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
EDIT: New goal...I went back to the R2R page and 111 isn't a landmark, so I'm changing it to 115, Tom Bombadil's house. A nice place to rest and watch ROTK with my feet up instead of constantly on the R2R. But...like you really care.....
Sirithheruwen: Tom's house is pretty good for watching movies & relaxing. He's got a great Laz-E-Boy recliner and always offers it to guests. However, he is very possessive of the remote control. I was able to work out a deal with him when I was there -- I got the recliner; he got the remote but only if he promised not to sing.

It is so nice being back with the fellowship again. We talked and laughed so much last night while walking that Aragorn had to "ssshhh" us a dozen times or more. Gandalf was really grumpy at first. Then I realized that nobody had been sharing their food with Pippin, so he hadn't been sharing his pipeweed with Gandalf. I remedied that this morning when we made camp. And Gimli apologized for the singing. He said he was initially glad when I left, but then realized how much he missed my jokes and stories (not to mention my cooking). It's nice to be missed..

--------------------

• I sit beside the fire and think
    of all that I have seen,
    of meadow-flowers and butterflies
    in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
    in autumns that there were,
    with morning mist and silver sun
    and wind upon my hair.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #1082
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Tom's house is pretty good for watching movies & relaxing. He's got a great Laz-E-Boy recliner and always offers it to guests. However, he is very possessive of the remote control.
Heheh, I wasn't there long enough^ ^;; prolly a good thing...

You have walked 149.58 miles.
You have passed the Great East Road west of Bree (144).
You are only 2.41999999999999 miles from Bree.
You still have 308.42 miles to Rivendell.

They climbed down and out of the dike and through a gap in the wall, and then Tom turned due north, for they had been bearing somewhat to the west. The land was now open and fairly level, and they quickened their pace, but the sun was already sinking low when at last they saw a line of tall trees ahead, and they knew that they had come back to the Road after many unexpected adventures. They galloped their ponies over the last furlongs, and halted under the long shadows of the trees. They were on the top of a sloping bank, and the Road, now dim as evening drew on, wound away below them. At this point it ran nearly from South-west to North-east, and on their right it fell quickly down into a wide hollow. It was rutted and bore many signs of the recent heavy rain; there were pools and pot-holes full of water. They rode down the bank and looked up and down. There was nothing to be seen. 'Well, here we are again at last!' said Frodo. 'I suppose we haven't lost more than two days by my short cut through the Forest! But perhaps the delay will prove useful - it may have put them off our trail.'

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! I'M ALMOST TO BREE!! *grabs hobbits & RUNS, leaving a confused Tom & Fatty Lumpkins in the dust...*
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:30 AM   #1083
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

**You have walked 115 miles.
You have reached the House of Tom Bombadil (115).
It is 17 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 343 miles to Rivendell.**

Saph: heehee, and next it's the Barrow Downs! HUAH!!!!

Hobbits: Huah?

Saph: *shrugs and continues skipping along*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-11-2003, 01:03 PM   #1084
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry, I've been away for so long!

We finally reached the Great East Road, and I must admit that having Glorfindel here makes me feel much safer. Frodo is resting on his horse, and he seems to be relatively okay.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 07:02 PM   #1085
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 153.91 miles.
You have passed Bree (152).
It is 10.09 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 304.09 miles to Rivendell.

Bree was the chief village of the Bree-land, a small inhabited region, like an island in the empty lands round about. Besides Bree itself, there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood. Lying round Bree-hill and the villages was a small country of fields and tamed woodland only a few miles broad.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 08:04 AM   #1086
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It sais in the walkes list i've walked 370 miles.... but i've counted 291.05 today. Am I going backwards? Can I find Part 2 of Walk to Rivendell somewhere in here? I really would like to review my posts and my milleage!
And btw, i haven't posted in a long time so i've probably missed the answers to these previous questions of mine:
1: What's the additional distance to Lothlorien?
2: Untill when are we supposed to get there?
Please don't feel annoyed and answer me again!
Thans!
Signed: a very confused she-elf-in-training
Old 10-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #1087
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 159.09 miles.
You are only 4.91 miles from Chetwood Forest.
You still have 298.91 miles to Rivendell.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Go everybody!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 PM   #1088
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Tefalathiel, Part 2 of the WtR is here; the distance to Lothlórien from Rivendell is 464 miles, and the goal date that was set for the original Walk to Rivendell (distance 458 miles) was Dec. 17, the release of the RotK movie. However, each walker should set her/his own pace - it's supposed to be fun!

I've been away for several weeks and am delighted to hear that the Barrow-Downs has added to its team's points. Congratulations to Pyroclastic and Mark12_30 for their prize-winning stories! Is anyone submitting a walking chant or cadence to the current contest? It would be nice to get points for participation, at least.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:20 PM   #1089
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 160.65 miles.
You are only 3.34999999999999 miles from Chetwood Forest.
You still have 297.35 miles to Rivendell.

We're getting there...

Ary: - -;;

Pip: Beware she drags.

Ary: What?!

*Naz grabs hobbits & Ranger & drags them as she runs*

Pip: SEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee...?!
Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #1090
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 116.7 miles.
You have passed the House of Tom Bombadil (115).
It is 15.3 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 341.3 miles to Rivendell.**

Saph: <in coniptions because she wasn't able to walk all weekend> Come on, come on, come on! We're so far behind! <hops from foot to foot>

Merry: Pippin, I blame her presence entirely on you.

Pippin:^^;;; Heh...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-14-2003, 03:35 PM   #1091
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

We have walked 580 miles.
We have passed Barren Hills (570).
It is 35 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 342 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
The nights are increasingly cooler, but we still must walk. The wind chills me to my Hobbit bones, but Gandalf pushes us on.
~Fėa
-Melilot
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #1092
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 164.66 miles.
You have passed Chetwood Forest (164).
It is 7.34 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 293.34 miles to Rivendell.

Whether because of Strider's skill or for some other reason, they saw no sign and heard no sound of any other living thing all that day: neither two-footed, except birds; nor four-footed, except one fox and a few squirrels.

Pip: Actually, I think the reason is cause Naz scared all the aminals away!

Naz: GRR!

(yes, I meant to spell "aminals." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])
Old 10-15-2003, 04:12 PM   #1093
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 169.99 miles.
You have passed Chetwood Forest (164).
You are only 2.00999999999999 miles from abandoned robbers den.
You still have 288.01 miles to Rivendell.

YESSSS!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:22 PM   #1094
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

It will be a sad day indeed for this Company when Pippin runs out of pipeweed...but in the meantime we are all enjoying a more mellow Gandalf. The weather has gotten quite a bit colder, but thankfully Elrond has provided our Fellowship with an abundance of warm clothing and blankets. The mountains seemed much closer this morning when we stopped for camp. However, we're really going to have to get a move on if we want to watch RotK with Galadriel & Celeborn in December.

--------------------

The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers. Though the Company was well clad, they seldom felt warm, either moving or at rest. They slept uneasily during the middle of the day, in some hollow of the land, or hidden under the tangled thorn-bushes that grew in thickets in many places. In the late afternoon they were roused by the watch, and took their chief meal: cold and cheerless as a rule, for they could seldom risk the lighting of a fire. In the evening they went on again, always as nearly southward as they could find a way.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:49 PM   #1095
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 174.06 miles.
You have passed abandoned robbers den (172).
It is 5.94 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 283.94 miles to Rivendell.

And now they're gone for robbers and live outside, hiding in the woods beyond Archet, and out in the wilds north-away. It's like a bit of the bad old times tales tell of, I say. It isn't safe on the road and nobody goes far, and folk lock up early. We have to keep watchers all round the fence and put a lot of men on the gates at nights.

Pip: Ooh, abandoned robber stuff!

Merry: Arn't we discriptive?

Pip: [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Ary: Come on, let's get moving...

Pip: Ooh, but look at the shiny stuff...

Ary: *glares*

Pip: O_o;; Ok, let's go!

---------
(Even as I type, a little bug is crawling throughout the keyboard. Hey, where'd he go...?)
Old 10-17-2003, 03:15 AM   #1096
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The Fourth House Contest is now ready for voting on the Éowyn Challenge site - go here to read the walking chants and vote for your favorite. I'm curious - did anyone from the Downs enter one? No, don't tell us which it is - we want the voting to be objective.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-17-2003, 10:48 AM   #1097
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 178.23 miles.
You have passed abandoned robbers den (172).
You are only 1.77000000000001 miles from the eastern edge of Chetwood Forest.
You still have 279.77 miles to Rivendell.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:34 AM   #1098
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 184.61 miles.
You have passed the eastern edge of Chetwood Forest (180).
It is 11.39 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 273.39 miles to Rivendell.

The next day they began to steer a steady course eastwards; and still all was quiet and peaceful. On the third day out from Bree they came out of the Chetwood. The land had been falling steadily, ever since they turned aside from the Road, and they now entered a wide flat expanse of country, much more difficult to manage. They were far beyond the borders of the Bree-land, out in the pathless wilderness, and drawing near to the Midge-water Marshes.

Oh no... not the Marshes! > <;;
Old 10-19-2003, 09:21 PM   #1099
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
I'm curious - did anyone from the Downs enter one? No, don't tell us which it is - we want the voting to be objective.
Estelyn: It doesn't look like many people were aware of the contest, as there are only 4 entries. I had thought about it, but got busy and forgot.

We've finally reached the foothills of the Misty Mountains, and the terrain is becoming increasingly difficult. I have developed quite an admiration for the halflings of our Company. One would never guess from their appearance that they would prove so doughty and steadfast in the face of adversity. And their simple jests help to brighten an otherwise tedious journey.

--------------------

"Elrond is a master of healing, but the weapons of our Enemy are deadly. To tell you the truth, I had very little hope; for I suspected that there was some fragment of the blade still in the closed wound. But it could not be found until last night. Then Elrond removed a splinter. It was deeply buried, and it was working inwards."

Frodo shuddered, remembering the cruel knife with notched blade that had vanished in Strider's hands. "Don't be alarmed!" said Gandalf. "It is gone now. It has been melted. And it seems that Hobbits fade very reluctantly. I have known strong warriors of the Big People who would quickly have been overcome by that splinter, which you bore for seventeen days."
Old 10-20-2003, 08:37 AM   #1100
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 185.85 miles.
It is 10.15 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 272.15 miles to Rivendell.

I'm just happy I'm getting closer to 200...

As for me-- I didn't know there was a contest! - -;; eheh... sorry....
Old 10-20-2003, 10:40 AM   #1101
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

You have walked 305.3 miles.
You are still south of the Road (300).
It is 8.69999999999999 miles to the next landmark. You still have 152.7 miles to Rivendell.

At least I'm off the 200's!
I actually lost weight, and my waist line shrunk, but I had an unfat-free weekend, heh.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #1102
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 122 miles.
You have passed the House of Tom Bombadil (115).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 336 miles to Rivendell.**

Man, I feel so left behind right now... *sniffle* Okay, I'm so walking at least 10 miles this week! *looking determined*

Hobbits: o.O;; Crap, I think we're in trouble.

Saph: Dang skippy! I learned hobbit-dragging from Naz, and she's a pro! <takes off running, hauling the hobbits behind her>

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-21-2003, 04:54 PM   #1103
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 188.56 miles.
You are only 7.44 miles from the western edge of the Midgewater Marshes.
You still have 269.44 miles to Rivendell.

Sapphire! Whoo hoo^ ^ The fine art of Companion (esp. Hobbit) Dragging! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Pip: It's no art...

Naz: *glares*

Frodo: By Eru, she's scary...

Ary: Just wait till the marshes. Maybe we can ditch her there...
Old 10-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #1104
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 193.26 miles.
You are only 2.74000000000001 miles from the western edge of the Midgewater Marshes.
You still have 264.74 miles to Rivendell.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #1105
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The nights are getting colder and colder, but fortunately there has been no rain. Pippin and I have discussed his supply of pipeweed, and decided that we will have to ration what we give to Gandalf. Otherwise, we'll run out before we reach Caradhras. In the meantime, we journey slowly but steadily ever nearer to the Mountains.

--------------------

• I sit beside the fire and think
    of how the world will be
    when winter comes without a spring
    that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things
    that I have never seen:
    in every wood in every spring
    there is a different green.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:58 PM   #1106
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 197.57 miles.
You have passed the western edge of the Midgewater Marshes (196).
It is 3.43000000000001 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 260.43 miles to Rivendell.

The ground now became damp, and in places boggy and here and there they came upon pools, and wide stretches of reeds and rushes filled with the warbling of little hidden birds. They had to pick their way carefully to keep both dry-footed and on their proper course. At first they made fan-progress, but as they went on, their passage became slower and more dangerous. The marshes were bewildering and treacherous, and there was no permanent trail even for Rangers to find through their shifting quagmires. The flies began to torment them, and the air was full of clouds of tiny midges that crept up their sleeves and breeches and into their hair.

*runs from bugs as hobbits & Ary sweatdrop...*
Old 10-23-2003, 05:01 PM   #1107
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I'm curious - did anyone from the Downs enter one?
I sure wish I had had the time to enter one! I actually have one I use sometimes, but, alas, I have been on a gruelling vacation for awhile and had no time at all! (Why is it that vacations are usually exhausting?) That aside, I did manage to make it all the way to Weathertop (262 miles) and am now hiding in the ruins with Pippin, roasting tomatoes and bacon over trioxane on a German portable cooker. Don't tell Pippin! He thinks it is magic! Burns with an almost invisible flame, so no uninvited Ringwraiths join the feast or even spot it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #1108
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 202.83 miles.
You have passed Neekerbreeker Pond (201).
It is 8.16999999999999 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 255.17 miles to Rivendell.

They spent a miserable day in this lonely and unpleasant country. Their camping-place was damp, cold, and uncomfortable; and the biting insects would not let them sleep. There were also abominable creatures haunting the reeds and tussocks that from the sound of them were evil relatives of the cricket. There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all round, neek-breek, breek-neek, unceasingly all the night, until the hobbits were nearly frantic.

*all go insane & Ary trys to drown Naz... (well arn't we a mess?) :P*
Old 10-25-2003, 05:17 AM   #1109
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm closing in... The fisrt part of my journey through Middle-Earth almost completed.
The water at the Ford is restless these days. But the air is milder and it seems like the cold of late autumn diminishes as i approach Rivendell for my first well deserved rest.

Long ago somebody said somethig about a way to mark this experience: a diploma or somethig like that. Is it still available? I'd love to have something remebering me of this journey...
Old 10-25-2003, 12:00 PM   #1110
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I reached Rivendell yesterday! *gives herself a round of applause* I've been doing a lot of walking this summer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Turns out Helen did turn me into a healthier person after all [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 01:19 PM   #1111
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Vanwalossien,

Welcome to Rivendell. The music is so good I haven't been able to leave; I just keep taking short laps around the valley, and back to Elrond's House.

Tefalathiel: when (or just before) you arrive, I'd earnestly recommend buying a copy of "At Dawn in Rivendell" by the Tolkien Ensemble, or one of their other albums (Evening or Night) or if you can get it, a copy of The Starlit Jewel (Very hard to find.)

But then the problem becomes, the music is so good it's hard to leave the valley.

Maybe once the entire fellowship is assembled... eventually.

(relaxes once again in Hall of Fire, listening to harps and elvish voices)
Old 10-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #1112
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Aragorn and Gandalf have spent most of our journey the past few nights arguing (make that strongly debating) about our coming path. They speak in hushed voices, and while the others seem oblivious, what Legolas and I have heard has caused us grave concern. It seems Gandalf is in favor of traveling through Moria **shudder** but thankfully, Aragorn is insisting on crossing the Pass of Caradhras. Gandalf is one of the Wise, but we feel he may be falling into folly with this plan. Perhaps we'd better limit his pipeweed usage in future. Better a grumpy Gandalf than a dead Fellowship...

--------------------

"We should never have done it without Strider," said Frodo. "But we needed you. I did not know what to do without you."

..."At the moment I will only say that I was held captive...There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming...War is preparing!...For the moment we have been saved from disaster, by Aragorn."

"Yes," said Frodo, "it was Strider that saved us. Yet I was afraid of him at first...I have become very fond of Strider...he is dear to me; though he is strange, and grim at times."

..."there are few left in Middle-earth like Aragorn son of Arathorn. The race of the Kings from over the Sea is nearly at an end. It may be that this War of the Ring will be their last adventure."
Old 10-26-2003, 07:09 AM   #1113
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Congratulations, vanwalossien!! Glad you made it to Rivendell!

Today is the last day to vote for your favorite walking chant on the Éowyn site - if you haven't done so yet, check out the link I gave above some days ago.

There are lots of lovely black shields on the milestones page at that site - well done, everyone! Keep up the good walking!
Old 10-26-2003, 02:45 PM   #1114
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Congrats vanwalossen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ^ ^

You have walked 212.02 miles.
You have passed the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
It is 15.98 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 245.98 miles to Rivendell.

They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.
'That is Weathertop,' said Strider. 'The Old Road, which we have left far away on our right, runs to the south of it and passes not far from its foot. We might reach it by noon tomorrow, if we go straight towards it. I suppose we had better do so.'

YAY! I'm almost to Weathertop!! ^ ^
Old 10-27-2003, 09:13 AM   #1115
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What exactly is this challenge about? How does it work? Could someone please explain??
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #1116
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The Walk to Rivendell is explained here, on the Éowyn Challenge site. LotR fans from various groups, including the Barrow-Downs, have made it their goal to reach Rivendell through walking, biking, etc. by the time the RotK movie is released on Dec. 17. You'd have to be very ambitious to make it if you start now, but even if not, join us for the fun of it! If you have any questions that aren't answered on that site, you're welcome to PM me.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:56 PM   #1117
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 214.16 miles.
It is 13.84 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 243.84 miles to Rivendell.

^ ^
Old 10-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #1118
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 218.17 miles.
It is 9.83000000000001 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 239.83 miles to Rivendell.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:49 PM   #1119
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Aragorn seems to have had the final word in the 'Fellowship Destination' debate, thank goodness. Though we are likely to encounter snow and freezing temperatures over the Redhorn Pass, Legolas and I find this a less fearful prospect than Moria. Gandalf says we are still about 12 leagues from Hollin, so we will need to pick up our pace a bit if we want to reach Lórien by December 17.

--------------------

• I sit upon the stones alone;
    the fire is burning red,
    the tower is tall, the mountains dark;
    all living things are dead.
    In western lands the sun may shine,
    there flower and tree in spring
    is opening, is blossoming;
    and there the finches sing.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:28 PM   #1120
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 132 miles.
You have reached the Barrow-Downs (132).
It is 12 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 326 miles to Rivendell.**

Bwahaha...

Hobbits: o.O;; Okay, she's getting scary.

Saph: What do you want? It's almost Halloween, after all. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] *begins snooping around the 'Downs*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, ALL YOU WIGHTS OUT THERE!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]