The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #2521
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Welcome JuliaChang! if you enjoy reading our many conversations then you'll learn much from here
Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 AM   #2522
ThoréandanSilverleaf

Leaf Thoréandan arrives in Tyrn Gorthad

A young peredhiel walks into the room. He is wearing a plain green tunic and breechers, and has a large, flowing, brown bear-skin cloak draped off his shoulders. "Hail, Wights of Tyrn Gorthad" he calls out, "I am Thoréandan, son of Thelandan the Dúnedain and Grimordel the Elf. I am visitng from the distant land of Imladris, commonly known as Rivendell." Thor looks around the room and sees a few faces he vaguely recognises. "Hey Finrod, you're not FinrodFaithful from Imladris are you, by any chance?"
Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #2523
Gil-Galad

oh wow...back story and all, you are welcome here friend
Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #2524
ThoréandanSilverleaf

Leaf

Thanks Gil-Galad. This is the second Tolkien related forum I have joined now. I only first watched the PJ movies beginning in January 2006, and have since then read the whole LOTR Trilogy books and the Hobbit. I am now reading the Silmarillion. I'm still very much a Newbie in respect to the world of Arda, but I'm learning quickly
Old 10-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #2525
Gil-Galad

my favourite is still the Silmarillion
Old 10-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #2526
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
While welcoming all the newly deceased to have a good time in this fine place I totally agree with Gil:
Quote:
my favourite is still the Silmarillion
Read it...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #2527
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Hi all-- I've been posting off and on for a few months now, but still consider myself a new member. Saw this thread and thought I'd say hello.

I'm a professional writer, living on a mountaintop, surrounded by woods, in New York's Hudson Valley---lots of Tolkien-esque paths and trails throughout our woods, and leading up to the somewhat famous Gunks and Ice Caves Mountain.

I've been reading Tolkien for about 10 years now, and have read UT and most of the HoME...

Anyone interested in my own work in film/television, and literary writing is welcome to visit www.myspace.com/sardy

--Scott

Last edited by Sardy; 11-06-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #2528
ThoréandanSilverleaf

Leaf

Hey Sardy, I never thought I'd meet a really famous person in just my second day of being dead!! That's so cool. Had a look at your site. I'm pretty sure we get The Real Deal here in New Zealand. I must confess, I don't watch a lot of television though. In RL I work 12 hour shifts, 6pm to 6am the next morning, so I don't really have time to watch television. I suppose I could videotape something, but I'm just too lazy to

Gil - Your selection of smilies here is a little limited to my liking. Can you tell me what your policy is on hotlinking, and in particular to sites that allow and encourage being hotlinked from (I wouldn't do it without proper permission from the source site).
Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #2529
Sardy
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoréandanSilverleaf
I'm pretty sure we get The Real Deal here in New Zealand. I must confess, I don't watch a lot of television though.
Well, Real Deal isn't in production yet, the pilot script was just awarded 1st Place for Best Original Pilot in Scriptapalooza TV 2006, so I highly doubt it's on the air in New Zealand... But you may be able to catch my show "Dead Tenants" which is currently airing internationally on TLC/Discovery Networks...

Last edited by Sardy; 10-18-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #2530
ThoréandanSilverleaf

Leaf

Sardy - Oh, I must have gotten the name wrong As I say, I don't watch much TV anyway. Too busy wandering around chat rooms talking to strangers about the Lord of the Rings I guess.
Gil - Was it just me, or was the Barrow Downs server down today? It kept coming up with a DNS error every time I tried to log on, yet I could navigate to other sites on the Internet quite fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #2531
ThoréandanSilverleaf

Leaf Reporting abuse and spammers

Gil - Sorry for double-posting (I don't know if that is considered rude here or not). I was just wondering how one would go about reporting abuse or spammers here? I've noticed some recent posts by a particular member here who is using what I would consider inappropriate language in an abusive tone. I know that on the other LOTR forum that I post on, this type of behaviour would be shut down immediately, and most likely the member would have his/her account suspended forthwith.

I haven't posted anywhere outside of this thread yet as I'm still trying to learn how to navigate your menu system.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #2532
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
White-Hand

Don't worry Thor the admins will see his posts and get rid of them as well as get rid of him. It's a shame that someone has to be like that in a wonderful place such as this
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #2533
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Orcleaderalpha will be banned and his posts deleted as soon as an administrator stops by.

You can always report a bad post by clicking on the little triangle at the bottom left of the message, right next to the reputation button and the green "online" icon.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #2534
Gil-Galad

Admins catch everything usually, but yes the trianlge alerts them as well and yes i beleive the Barrowdowns were down yesterday as for i could not ascess the site as well.

and with exploreing the site, choose which you feel like reading, if your interested in discussing Books, check out the Books Portion, if you want to read and anwser basic questions, check the newcomers portion, if you like to play a game check the quiz room and quotable quotes. if you enjoy the fun stuff of Tolkien, check out the Mirth forum. the rest is basically RPG forum and the Admin Thread.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #2535
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
hey everyone
I am back!
Welcome newbies, to the wonderful wacky world of the 'downs !
________
FORD MODEL C

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #2536
Damrod
Animated Skeleton

Damrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Damrod
White Tree Introducion!

Well, Hello! I somehow came across the downs whilst looking for a good place to talk about Tolkien and such things, and this seemed like the best place out there, so I promptly stole the name of a character I found interesting and registered! I've seen the movies, read the books, and also the Silmarillion. Somehow the interest died down, and my love for Tolkien's works lay dormant like a balrog under Cahadras. More recently, (to stretch my metaphor) some dwarves came and delved for mithril, so I scanned the internet...and thus came here. I look forward to taking part in the discussions here, and learning new knowledge of Arda.

Last edited by Damrod; 10-19-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Damrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #2537
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome Damrod! Glad to see you made your way to the Downs. Feel free to come down to the Shire which is the beginning RPG forum and take a look at the discussion thread for the Golden Perch Inn. If you'd like to participate or have any questions, feel free to drop a pm to me or to Piosenniel.

Hope your stay here is long and moldy as befits a new member of the barrow.

A tip of the hat to Elonve as well.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #2538
Gil-Galad

welcome Damrod

i'm probably one of the only downers that collects the LOTR Minatures, but heres the Minature version of Damrod:

Damrod And Faramir

you have your own minature! i'm so jealous! well...not really... i have one too...

Me and my buddy Elrond
Old 10-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #2539
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
welcome Damrod

i'm probably one of the only downers that collects the LOTR Minatures

I do too, Gil, I do too.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #2540
Damrod
Animated Skeleton

Damrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Damrod
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
welcome Damrod

i'm probably one of the only downers that collects the LOTR Minatures

I do too, Gil, I do too.
well, that makes three of us. Um, it appears all my profile info talking about such things disappeared overnight...what's that about?
Damrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #2541
Sardy
Wight

I don't *collect* the figures, but I do have a really nice Gandalf the Grey on my Tolkien bookshelf (he bellows "You... Shall Not... PASS!!!" at the press of a hidden button. Oh, and we have an 18 inch Treebeard on our mantle...

I do, however, collect all of the esoteric Middle-earth boardgames and rpgs...

Last edited by Sardy; 10-25-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #2542
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Laleena has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

hey, obviously im new, and i'd appreciate it if u guys could tell me a little about this place.

im a real big Lotr fan, my fav. character is Legolas (isn't he every girl's )
Laleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #2543
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Welcome to the Downs Laleena.

I hope your will find a nice resting place among us wights. . .

The Barrow-Downs Forum has a bit of everything, although the activity is a bit low at the moment. There is the Book section for the seriouse and in dept discutions, right now a chapter by chapter Silmarillion discution is going on.

If you have some minor questions about the books I would recomend the Novices and Newcomers area.

If you are looking for fun and sillyness we have Mirth wich has all kinds of stuff going on, amongst other things there are the famouse werewolf games. In fact there is a game starting soon that still need a few players. There is also a Quiz Room that could need an extra dead soul and of course the RPG section.

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask in a thread or by PM's, the dead in these Barrows are suprisingly friendly.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #2544
ThoréandanSilverleaf

Leaf

Thanks for the replies and advice everybody. I must say I was quite shocked by that. Each to their own I guess. I believe Tolkien was a scholar and a gentleman, who spent many long hours in his study drinking with friends and having interesting discussions. I'm sure that had he been alive today we would see him here on the Internet doing the same thing. What a shame that some hooligans don't take a lesson from him

In relation to collecting miniatures, I went to the Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo today here in New Zealand. It is a Sci-Fi & Fantasy convention. I bought a bust ornament of Lord Elrond. It was made by Weta Workshops, so the detail is absolutely amazing. They were the ones who did a lot of the animatronics on the PJ movies. I also bought 4 books to add to my collection about Middle Earth, including a very interesting book called "The Science of Middle Earth", by Henry Gee.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #2545
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Leaf

thank you for being so kind, im sure i'll find something to my interest here
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #2546
Tom Bombadillo

Vendui

Hey all I am Tom Bombadillo and I like the place. Cya around
Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #2547
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadillo
Sorry i posted a topic instead of here well I there and cya around
That's okay. Welcome to the downs and enjoy your stay here.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #2548
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome Damrod, Laleena and Tom Bombadillo! Enjoy your deaths.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #2549
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Welcome Damrod, Laleena and Tom Bombadillo! Enjoy your deaths.

what the penguin said
Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #2550
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
what the penguin said
That's going to confuse them Gil, Lommy isn't a penguin at the moment!

Welcome all newbies, although ...

Quote:
my fav. character is Legolas (isn't he every girl's )
No! He most certainly isn't!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 AM   #2551
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
That's going to confuse them Gil, Lommy isn't a penguin at the moment!
That sounds quite weird... Like I was a penguin skinchanger.... (Though the newcomers might get the clue from the PT...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #2552
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
No! He most certainly isn't!

All of my friends agree with you *sigh* Guess I stand alone
Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #2553
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laleena
All of my friends agree with you *sigh* Guess I stand alone

before the movies i thought Legolas was rather "rad" but now... its been turned into a Chick icon
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #2554
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Leaf

still, he's good with a bow and has blond hair, what else could a girl want?

Oh yea, one of my friends have turned to the light and admitted that Legolas is the best

My duty is fofilled, 1 more person on my side
Old 10-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #2555
Legolasfan1
Pile O'Bones

Location: in Rivendell riding on my horse and shooting arrows
Legolasfan1 has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone, im new and just now my friend Laleena told me to sign up cuz she needed an answer to some ques.

I see she's been going on about her one true love

People, you must forgive her, she is very weary. My fav. Charecter is Frodo, (Leena made a bet with me and I lost so I had to sign up under this name)

K, I bet you're tired of me babbling, so I'll stop and get off.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #2556
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laleena
still, he's good with a bow and has blond hair, what else could a girl want?

Oh yea, one of my friends have turned to the light and admitted that Legolas is the best

My duty is fofilled, 1 more person on my side

legolas can get any girl by saying these lines : "my love for you is like my quiver of arrows. never ending."

oh and howdy legolasfan1
Old 10-29-2006, 07:04 AM   #2557
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Leaf

he could, but though I love him, he wouldn't get me so easily
Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #2558
Legolasfan1
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

*snort*

Why do I have the feeling that he wouldn't have to blink and you'd be all over him?
I have no doubt that he wouldn't have a problem getting you.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #2559
Legolasfan1
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

By the way, Thanks for the welcome
Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #2560
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome!!!
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote