The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2003, 09:26 AM   #41
Gabby Sorno

Sting

The whole mickey mouse ring thing was hilarious but i was "Mickey? Your not going to go all evil on us now, right?"<P>Just my thought, but Sean's face did look hilarious...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:27 AM   #42
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

By the way, is it just me.... How is it Eminem can win an Oscar but "Gollum's Song" does not get nominated?
Old 03-26-2003, 10:02 AM   #43
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of the time the actors in these kind of films do not get nominated for acting awards because it is considered an "ensemble".<BR>Though if anyone should receive an Oscar for acting it is Ian McKellen. He should get one for his prior work, and his current work with LOTR (Last year when he missed out on Best Supporting Actor was terrible, he should have won)
Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 AM   #44
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I only saw the last hour or so of the Oscars. In the shots where they pan through the audience, the only LotR person I noticed was Sean Astin. Anybody (maybe who watched the whole thing) know who else was there? Just curious 'cause it seems like last year pretty much all of the actors who played main characters were there . . . . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As someone already said PJ was not there. I also read somewhere that neither was Cate Blanchett and most of the others. I heard it was because they did not want to attend because they felt it would be disrespectful in the current global climate. But, I'm sure work also kept PJ busy.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #45
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Mickey? Your not going to go all evil on us now, right?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're assuming he wasn't already evil. <P>I can't believe I failed to comment on this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and then there's the small issue of him being arrested if he so much as sets foot on US soil...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Could be my paranoid "conspiracy theorist" side talking (I certainly have quite a few sides, don't I?), but I think they did this on purpose, what with the general population of Hollywood's view on the war. Those rebels....<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And by the way, if you're going to give a musical Best Picture, where was Moulin Rouge last year?! Chicago's good, but MR actually managed to drag the genre into the 21st century, and surely deserves better than two technicals for that job.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I completely agree. Moulin Rouge was an excellent movie; the music, the acting, the story, the costumes. Beautifully done.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:52 PM   #46
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi guys!<BR>Anyway, I thought I saw Elijah Wood behind Sean Astin in the audience, but I thought 'Nah! That can't be Elijah because if it was then the camera would be on him!' but it did look like Lij.<BR>Ithaeliel I agree. How often do fantasy works receive any appreciation from people outside the fans and geeks? No often at all! <BR>I'm thinking one reason that LotR does not win the big oscars is because most people do not care for fantasy/sci-fi fiction. They like 'realistic' stuff, stuff that can and could have happened.<BR>And I was amused by Andrian Brody. That was funny! And I thought he was the only one who was on his toes about the war. But no matter. Now I'm interested to see the Pianist.<BR>I do think RotK will do great next year, at least be in second place for the most awards. I'm sure it will be nominated for about thirteen oscars or so too.<BR>I would of liked TTT to have gotten all six, but I was not surprised. Especially after A Beautiful Mind. I saw that one twice, and I have no desire to see it ever again. Though I might like to see Chicago sometime to see how good/bad it was.<BR>Okay, I'll shut up now See you later!<BR>~M<BR>P.S. This was the first Oscars I have watched, and frankly, I am bit sad for those people. It sounded like the oscars were the best thing that happened to them. The Oscars are, after all, just awards.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:52 PM   #47
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On a similar note, next years oscars will be presented one month earlier than usual, on Feb. 29, 2004, and the date change already is shaking up Hollywood. Several studios are hurrying to make sure their award hopefuls are ready to be shown well before their December debuts, smaller independents are considering releasing their prestige titles as early as September, and the Golden Globes and the Independent Feature Project's Spirit Awards may move up their dates to stay ahead of the Oscar curve. <A HREF="http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/oscars/cl-et-horn25mar25,0,7200865.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels" TARGET=_blank>More</A>
Old 03-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #48
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Well, no wonder PJ is in such a rush to finish ROTK. The third movie can't possibly miss its chance at winning an Oscar, as it is supposed to be the best of the three.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The Oscars are, after all, just awards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes, but it is a great honor to win an Oscar. Not very many people get them, after all. It is my dream to get an Oscar!
Old 03-26-2003, 07:32 PM   #49
briananoel

Sting

I'd figured for days that Chicago was going to win, win but I was still sitting there begging the T.V. to say anything but Chicago. Of course, my pleading made no difference and it won Best Picture and then I was yelling at the T.V. like it was listening. Such a disappointment for me even though I heard Chicago was good! Oh well, like so many people have said before: RotK still has a good chance next year.<BR>
Old 03-26-2003, 08:02 PM   #50
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I'm getting soooo jealous of all you people who got to see the whole show and see Sean Astin all those times... that must have been cool. I only got to see him once, but I was happy enough about that. He looked really cute when he was grinning after TTT won best sound editing.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:52 PM   #51
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I went to bed at midnight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, then, you <B>did</B> see all the Oscars. They ended at midnight. I fyou missed the last 10 minutes or something, I'll tell you, it wasn't much. Just the actors from Chicago crying on each others shoulders. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> First off, I think that if no one here wanted TTT to win all the awards then something would be severly wrong. This is a Tolkien based forum is it not? Of course everyone will favor certain films <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Lol, I sorta forgot about that. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> GaladrieloftheOlden, where did you get that GORGEOUS avatar pic?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I feel so flattered...well, considering I change it every 2 days-month, I don't know which one you're talking about, but if you mention which one it is, I could tell you. <BR><B>Goldberry-</B> I just recognized your avatar! It's been nagging me for a long, long time. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> (Denethor.... *drool*) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I've also been wonderin- where does your thing about Denethor come from? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> PJ wasn't at the Oscars. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> But I saw him! And, unless they were exiled, like Roman Polanski, wouldn't those directors whose films had a chance of winning Best Picture have to be there? Or, want to, for that matter? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> i have a strange attraction to the characters that nobody else is attracted to: Grima, Denethor, Treebeard (PLEASE dont ask... i dont get it either...), Theoden, Gandalf, etc. Mainly Denethor and Grima. Oh and that ranger guy who was talking with Faramir a lot (when they were bent over the map in the caves, etc.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh, I understand what you mean there. My favorite character is Halbarad (when I say that, everyone goes : "Who the heck is Halbarad?") and all the Elves, of course! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> extreme loathing of Richard Gere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What!? He's the best actor in the whole flick! (And he's my classmate's friend's uncle, but that's besides the point) . <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> TTT was not entirely about Gollum.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> They probably thought it was the most effective part. I was disgusted too, though.<BR>That's all for now!
Old 03-26-2003, 09:05 PM   #52
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>What!? He's the best actor in the whole flick!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Then it is, perhaps, not worthwhile to spend money renting it.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:29 PM   #53
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I waited all week for the oscars to come on, I forgot, and then I came in after TTT won their two measly awards!!! I wish TTT would have won best picture, but I knew it wouldn't have. There's always next year!!! Anyway, I think that TTT should have been nominated for best song/score/ whatever!!! Eminem?! :disgusted: anyway, I'm glad that TTT got some awards. I think RotK will win the most out of the three.<P>A little off topic: Refering to that picture of Andy Serkis way back on page one, he's holding a sign which says "NO WAR FOR OIL" <B>When are people gonna realize that it is not a war for oil, or world domination, or "killing children", It is soley do disarm Iraq's chemical weapons and to remove Saddam from power! Once we do that, the war will be over! These people,**you know who you are** need to stop complaining and protesting, and start supporting the U.S. and British troops! J.R.R. Tolkien fought in WWI!(I had to make it Tolkien related somehow)</B>NOBODY LIKES WAR, BUT THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO BUT AT LEAST SUPPORT OUR SOLDIERS AND HOPE THEY RETURN SOON AND SAFELY HOME!!! I could go on, and on, and on, but I think someone would get mad at me. Sorry for getting of topic! That was just my Republican side getting a hold of me. Just read the sig. <P><B>The Two Towers was great, and it should have won more awards!!!</B><P>Ranger of the Dúnedain(AND FULLY SUPPORTING THE BRAVE SOLDIERS IN IRAQ),<P>Aerandir Carnesir <P>Lord of the Rings is really really cool!(to end on the subject )<p>[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 02:10 PM   #54
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

dont worry bout the avatar, Galadriel, i cant remember what it looked like <BR>but do you have a site where you get pics from or something? id like to know if there are any really good fantasy art sites (same to everyone else, if you know a site, please reccommend it to me)<P>As for the Denethor thing:<P>i saw the pic (cant post direct link, but address is below) and i totally fell in love. thats about it. i dont know why him, i just fall in love with various people, and he happens to be one of the few with whom i have seriously fallen in love with.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index &do=showpic&pid=5657&orderby=titleA" TARGET=_blank>http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index &do=showpic&pid=5657&orderby=titleA</A>
Old 03-27-2003, 02:11 PM   #55
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wow... i didnt realise it auto. linked... okay... i can post the link!<P>enjoy as much as i have!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:24 PM   #56
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Does anybody think that Peter Jackson should have at least been nominated for best director? I know nothing about the other directors nominated; I didn't even see the movies, but I thought that Peter Jackson did an awesome job. I know he changed Faramir and several other things, but I think he did the best he could. He needed to fit everything into a very short time period (3 hours!!!) and also, the random movie-goer would not understand as well the book-Faramir and some other things he changed without having read the book. What do you all think?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:49 PM   #57
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

That's a calendar picture? And it has Faramir? In AUGUST?! *is happy*<P>I'm not too ticked off about PJ and "best director" nominations. I really don't pay much heed to such awards (my main interests are visual effects, best (supporting) actor/actress and sound), so that could be why. But, yes, Peter Jackson did an excellent job directing and perhaps he'll be up for it next year.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:19 AM   #58
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

.. I Think that all topics of war should be kept far away from here, whatever opinion, i come here to escape it, since i cant on TV or radio..<P>I am so happy for the whole New Zealand Film industry for what it has achieved with LOTR.<P>And i can say that I am an avid Chicago fan... Look at my pic... <BR><-----------------<P>And can I just say that I am so very proud of Nicole Kidman for being the 1st Aussie woman to win Best Actress. I am very, very proud!....GO AUSSIE!... It was a happy day in Australia on Oscar day can I tell you that!<P>And I dont think Peter Jackson was there because in the coverage on Aussie TV when LOTR was being read out, they only cut to Barrie O. and Sean Astin. But he could have been... I just diddnt see him.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:50 AM   #59
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglas looked quite good, despite her obvious pregnancy. I used to dislike her for marrying Michael Douglas (he's 20 years her senior!), but since that time, I've decided it wasn't for money. Good for her and good luck to her offspring.<P>With that over, congratulations Nicole Kidman! It wasn't only in Australia that celebrations were going on!
Old 03-28-2003, 09:42 PM   #60
Minyataurien
Pile O'Bones

Minyataurien has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BR>Death to Oscars!<BR>TTT deserved all six! They always ignore the great ones...
Old 03-29-2003, 12:19 AM   #61
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yes I too was cheering for Nicole Kidman, that was very exciting Overall for me, even with the lack of awards won by TTT, it was a really great Oscar show, with some surprised that were greatly appricated but not expected at all (Adrien Brody, Eminem, Roman, Michael Moore's speech, etc...) It was such a "feel good" kind of night.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:42 PM   #62
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Silmaril

I'll start off by saying what most of you are thinking...TTT deserved all six!!! Even though it's been a week now since the Oscars I'm still pretty disappointed. (All my friends think I'm insane from all this ranting... ) Still I think the movies that did win the awards were highly deserving--after we swept a few categories last year. RotK, I hope, will redeem the LotR trilogy for me and my other fan friends I'm holding out much better now that I've got that out of my system...<P>P.S. Two awards was enough to keep me cheering that night
Old 04-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #63
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Okay, the Oscars, to tell you the truth were a huge downfall for me. It was just SCARY. What I mean, is that I'm obsessed with LOTR and STTNG(Star Trek: The Next Generation) exactly the same amount. STTNG didn't win any Oscars, which is total AeEFJIism:mad i couldn't find the word to describe it). I was very happy that TTT one two of them though, although it didn't win any more. STTNG DESERVED SOMETHING!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! <P>ok i'll stop now, and i'm getting LARGELY off-topic.