User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2003, 10:59 AM   #41
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Olo glowered at the food, or lack thereof, and fished for his pipe in his pocket. Sticking it into his mouth, he desperately wanted to light it but decided that that might attract too much attention from any disgruntled Tooks who might be wandering about. He missed his poor pipe and he hadn't been able to fondle it with his tongue when he had been trotting so briskly across the country. His musings were interrupted by Brass:

"This is such poor fare," Brass mumbled as he gazed with a queazy eye at the thin soup and slightly stale bread. He glanced at Hob, who was playing with the soup and said with a furtive eye at Olo, "That plan of yours, Hob..."

"Shut your trap, Brass," Olo snapped, imitating the southern men. "We are not going into the village for a few reasons. One, we are shirrifs and we are proud to be shirrifs. We do not go slinking around looking for food when we can have plenty of it in a days, courtesy to our big strong southern, orcish monkeys. Three, we've already eaten --"

"If you can call that eating," one of the hobbits muttered.

"Enough," said Olo. "Jest wait an' see, foolish hobbits. This will seem like a thorn in the side as soon as we're through rootin' the Tooks grand burrows."

With a baleful glare at Hobs and Brass, Olo, with numerous grunts of effort, managed to wriggle his blanket from one of his pouches. Spreading it upon the ground, he eased his corpulent, massive body onto it and wrapped the ends of the blanket over him. Knobs of hard earth poked his flabby sides playfully, gnats hovered near his ear, firebugs flitted playfully and tauntingly in front of him. Frogs croaked, his back began to ache, and something soft and ticklish crept up his legs. Olo groaned. It ws going to be a long, uncomfortable night.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:07 PM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Durelin's post - 29 October

Fingering his empty pipe, Dury unconsciously stroked the curly-haired form curled up in his life. Mirda watched him with a frown. She had been overjoyed that Dury was willing to aid her family, but after she had heard the dangers…and after she had seen her husband's face… She watched him with a sympathetic frown. In the hearth, the fire was burning low. Mirdy should have been in bed hours ago, but if Dury was to leave the next morning… Soft but firm footsteps announced the arrival of Dora. Even at only four years, the little hobbit took being the oldest seriously, and was constantly wishing to help. Most times it was quite helpful, though she could go too far. Dury looked up to smile at her. Dora flashed him a smile back, though that quickly turned into a yawn.

"I'm sorry, muffin. I'm keeping you and Mirdy up."

Glancing down at the two-year old on his lap, Dury's smile widened.

"Well, I'm keeping you up. Off to bed now, I'm only to be gone for a few days."

"Five, da!" Dora exclaimed indignantly. She really was a lot like her father, though her mother was doing well in straightening her out.

"That's not so long. You know very well your mother can take care of you, and I expect you to take care of Mirdy."

"O' course."

"Off to bed now." Dora began to move, but then hesitated. "Give me a hug then."

She threw her arms around him, though careful not to jump on Mirdy. Then she picked up the sleeping hobbit-babe, and went slowly to their room, constantly looking back at her father. Dury could have sworn he saw her wiping her eyes, and he frowned.

"Will she be alright, Mirda, dear?"

"You know your daughter."

Dury grunted. "I suppose your right." He paused to put his pipe down, finally, and then looked up at his wife. Her eyes glistened, but not with their usual happy light. "But will you be?"

"Of course," she said, then laughed. Dury was glad to hear that. "I sound just like little Dora."

Dury smiled once again. "I'll be back soon. I know you girls can manage five days."

"You had best, Dury Greenhand, or I'll give you a reason not to!"

Dury rose from his chair to embrace his wife. She did not cry, and he was proud. He was much relieved, too. He felt a lump rising in his throat. Why had he even insisted on returning home for the night? He had said his good-byes before, hadn't he? Now he had a long way to go in the morning, and was going to cry and make a fool of himself. A hobbit had to be strong in front of his wife. Grasping for control over himself, Dury let go of his wife. Looking her in the eyes, he forced a smile. When he finally got into bed, he felt tremendous relief at having gotten through his farewell. Little did he know that the next morning would be as much a struggle.

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #43
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Manardariel's post

29 October

Tim woke up with the distant feeling that he desperately had to do something. He feebly got up and slipped into a pair of pants and a shirt, when he remembered- he had to pack, for the trip. The adventure. As he splashed cold water in his face, he wondered what to pack. A pair of trousers, a shirt or two. The essential crossbow. What else did he need? Suddenly he felt very free. These two weeks would be wonderfully uncomplicated- no parties, no social commitments. No hangovers, no lasses giggeling wherever he went, no one asking him to live up to his reputation. Fool! he thought. What was happening with him. He liked his life. Everyone loved him. Looking at himself in the mirror, he tried to smile. But then he realized what was wrong. The question is not: do others like you? The question is: do you like yourself? The truth was; sometimes Tim detested the partying creature inside him, the boy who thought of nothing save for the playfullness. He looked outside. A strong scent wavered over the gardens, the smell of old apples, of nuts and leaves- the smell of autumn. He watched a squirrel hop around, collecting nuts. This squirrel had a purpuse. This squirel knew what it had to do, what it should be doing. Why couldn´t he be like that? Why couldn´t he be so free, and yet so determind. He sighed. Pondering did no good. He had to act. This adventure, these two weeks full of freedom were his chance. He would prove to the world that there was more to Tim Bracegirdle then blue eyes and dancing feet. Prove it to the world- and to himself.

He walked downstairs, ready for a nice breakfast- the last big one, he figuered. They´d be leaving by tomorrow, maybe even today. He had been too busy thinking about Lilly yeserday to listen what they´d discussed at the meeting. Something about responsiblity, it might have been. Ugh. Apart from the kind of “I hope you bring my daughter back in whole” thing, he´d never taken responsibty. He didn´t like the sound of it....it sounded so grown-up. And if there was one thing Tim didn´t want to be, it was grown up.

Someone appeared next to him. Dode was laughing, thumping his shoulder. “Here´s the heart thief, aye? Tim, Tim, you really must stop doing that-“ he started laughing again.
“And since when are lillies so sweet you want to smell them...with your mouth?!” Ilberic joined in. Exasperated, Tim watched them for a minute or so. Then he brusquely broke out of the group. Leave I must, and the sooner the better!

Later, he found himself sitting in the backyard, composing a letter. This was the only place where he could be alone. No Melody, no Dode, no fanclub...only he and his thought; and now a quill and parchment. He was writing to Lilly.

Dear Lilly,

I hope you are well. I enjoyed it very much yesterday, and when I fell asleep, the scent of lillies lingered in my nose. I do not know if you are aware of this, but we will not see each other for two weeks now. I am very sad about this, yet I cannot redeem it- I am going on an important mission for the Sir Paladin. It is about these ruffians, and about the courage that has seemed to have failed most of us hobbits. In truth, I myself was not sure if I should do this, but you gave me courage.

I would be very happy to see you upon my return.

With many regards,

Tim

He nodded, this was a good letter. Most of it was true, and no harm was done. He wasn´t planning on breaking Lilly´s heart. Laura won´t have me, but this girl will! He had told the truth: Lilly had given him courage that might have failed him otherwise. He walked to the road and handed the letter to a boy who was on his way to the village.

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #44
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio's post - Assiram - October 30th

Assiram pulled his blankets close around him and buried his head in his rolled up cloak. He was having the most wonderful dream!

He and his two companions had broken into the Great Smials. Most of the younger hobbits were gone, leaving only the older fellow and his wife there along with one or two old servants. Ahriman stuffed the servants into burlap bags from the mill while Helios and Assiram tied up and questioned the old man and woman. They were self-righteous little prigs - contemptuous of the men and especially the Boss.

The old guy spilled his guts soon enough, though, when Helios threatened his wife with a knife – actually drawing a little blood on her arm. He led them to a secret room at the back of the holes. And when they opened it up, it was stacked from floor to ceiling with gold coins and jewels. assiram reach out his hand to grab a handful . . .’

‘Wake up!’ The grating voice of Helios pulled him from his sleep, followed by the none too gentle nudge of the man’s boot. Assiram was on his feet in an instant, his sword drawn on pointed at the man’s gut. Ahriman stepped in, shaking his head at the two. ‘I thought we were getting an early start?’ he said, pointing at the sun that had already inched up above the horizon. ‘Might as well get goin’ now. We don’t have any more food – we’re gonna have to scrounge for breakfast.’

Even the horses were in a fractious mood as they rode off. Not enough grass and tasty bushes to forage for a satisfying meal. Assiram cursed at his mount and kicked her in the flanks. But she was having none of it, and turned round to nip him hard on the leg.

In a foul mood he led the other two westward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They had no sight of the shiriffs as they rode along, and their stomachs protested loudly at their empty state. It was not the men who suffered the worst at this lack of food. It was the unfortunate Hobbit family whose little holding stood in the path of their advancement.

Assiram urged his horse through the garden, mashing down the last of the winter’s vegetables and tubers. His two companions wreaked havoc on what few livestock the Hobbits owned. The fence round the chicken coop was knocked down and the chickens’ scattered in all directions. The pigs were turned loose and driven into the brush beneath the trees.

When the man of the house tried to protest and shake his walking staff at them, he was knocked down with a blow from Assiram’s cudgel and his Missus ordered to cook up some breakfast. Ahriman came riding up with a big cured ham from the little smoke house and threw it at her, ‘Here cook up some thick slabs for us – ‘long with some a them eggs from the henhouse.’

Assiram pointed at the oldest boy. ‘And you! Get some of them taters picked up and cleaned off and fried up for us.’

There were a number of small Hobbit farms along the way to Tuckburrough, and each was dealt with in the same brutish way. The men cut a wide and destructive path as they made their way west.

No sign of the Shiriff’s were seen anywhere. ‘Damnable laggards and lazy louts!’ cursed Assiram as the day marched on. ‘Useless little rats!’

It was just as well the Shiriffs were not there to add fuel to the fire. The three were in such a mood, that they might have cut down the Hobbit officials had they encountered them . . .

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-24-2003, 10:49 PM   #45
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

30 October

Hob warily retreated underneath his blanket and plugged two fingers into his ears to shut out the early morning racket. He'd been having such a wonderful dream until the birds had woken him with their raucous serenade.

There he'd been.... proudly seated at his own board while Cami ran back and forth from the kitchen to the table carrying heaping platters of eggs and fried ham which she lovingly offered to him. He could almost smell the whiff of warm bread and rasher of bacon as the sweet odors wafted up to his nostrils..

Neighbors politely knocked at the door of the burrow and stepped inside, asking Hob for advice or paying their respects to the newlyweds. With a tip of the hat and a respectful bow, they thanked him for his part in helping to clean up the Shire. "Ah, yes, Master Hob, you Shirriffs are top notch.I don't know what we would ever have done without you. You deserve all the rewards the Chief has heaped on your head..."

As the words drifted away inside his mind, Hob sighed and pulled the covers over his face making one last futile attempt to slip back into his dream. But it was no use. Several twigs were poking him squarely in the middle of his back, and he couldn't find a comfortable place to settle on the ground. With a grumble of protest, he uneasily stood up, glancing over at his two companions who still lay sleeping soundly.

Hob was not looking forward to the day ahead, especially once they managed to meet up with the Big Folk and carry out whatever plan against the Tooks that Ferny had in mind. Still, there was no use dawdling or lying abed. He trotted down towards the roadway, hunting for the small stream they had passed last night just before they'd stopped to make their camp. The soft gurgle of water and the splash of fish leaping out of the pond and then down again greeted his sleepy eyes. He knelt and brought up a handful of water to his face, splashing it about, in an effort to pull himself back to reality. It was then that he heard the gentle clip-clop of a pack pony trotting along the road, seemingly coming in his direction. He heard the traveler hesitate and mutter some unintelligible words and then stop the pony for a moment, leading the beast off the road in the direction of the stream.

With his heart all aflutter, Hob hurriedly pushed his body into a nearby patch of thick bracken, lying flat against the ground, but lifting up his head just enough to be able to see who had come down to the water. His eyes widened in disbelief as he took in the incongruous scene in front of him. For there, squatting on the ground and hastily filling her water bottle, was his beloved poppit Cami Goodchild.

Cami did not look to be too happy. Her face appeared tired and irritated as she tilted back her head to take a drink and stuffed a small piece of journeybread into her mouth. Wherever she was going, she was in an awful hurry.

For one instant Hob thought to pop out of the foliage and run up to her, throwing his arms about her shoulders and giving her a welcoming hug. But then he stopped. That action was totally unthinkable. Cami would not approve of the hobbits he was travelling with, and even more importantly, she was apt to open her mouth and find herself in some serious trouble with the Shirrifs and Ferny.

Hob watched as Cami picked up the reins of the pack pony and urged him back down the road, jogging as fast as she could in the direction of Tukborough. He shook his head and sighed. Hob had no idea what was going on, but he did not like the looks of all this. Cami was supposed to be in Buckland tending to the Brandybuck children, not gallavanting off across the countryside.

He strode back uneasily towards the campsite, vowing to keep the matter to himself. With a well-aimed kicked on Olo's rear, he bellowed out to his two companions..."Hey, git up. Break camp. We've plenty of work to do today." At the back of his mind, he kept wondering if perhaps they'd be fast enough to find out the answer to exactly why Cami was speeding towards Tukborough.

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-27-2003, 02:42 PM   #46
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

30 October

Olo suddenly found his peaceful sleep disturbed by a most impudent imp who had kicked him in the backside, sending the miserable hobbit tumbling down into the leaves. Hob, for so the hobbit proved to be, was shouting about breaking camp and doing a lot of work today. "Oh, shut up," Olo muttered as he hauled himself into onto his feet. "We are not going anywhere until I have a smoke and until we have breakfast and that's that. We can go without elvensies and second breakfasts, but we are not going without breakfast." He shot a baleful glare at Hob. Stomping over to where Brass was pleasantly snoring, Olo hauled the blankets from the hobbit and bawled into his ear, "Up ye lazy bones!"

As Olo fried a bit of bacon, he said, "Here is the deal. We go find our big strong men and let them do their thing with them Tooks--" revolting images flashed into his mind -- "but we are not to interfere. Sharkey's our boss--" poignant glance at Hob --" and what he says goes." He remained silent, thick grey smoke curling into the peaceful sky. He mentally fidgeted and squirmed: this business with the Tooks was not what he called profitable in a sense. If they were to just haul them off to the Lockbottoms and watch them suffer that would be all right, especially since some of them were rather amusing when riled. Olo stifled a chuckle as he remembered that uppity Lobelia Sackville Baggins. A doubt gnawed in his mind. There was another thing. He hadn't seen much of that Lotho lately...probably too lazy to get out of bed, Olo thought scornfully. "Let's go!" he shouted, jerking himself from his ruminations.

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 09-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #47
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

30 October

Frustrated at the slow progress she was making, Cami hoisted the pack onto her shoulders and quickly mounted her pony, giving Dandelion a number of good kicks in the withers until they were cantering briskly westward along the road. The first rays of the sun were just visible over the horizon as Cami made her way into Tukborough. She hurried along the central roadway of the town past the rambling structure of the Great Smials, heading for a small burrow that she knew was inhabited by one of her old neighbors from Hobbiton.

Cami pounded loudly on the round door and snatched at the bell chain with a decided yank, waiting impatiently for someone to answer. There was a rustle inside and a groan or two; then the door opened and Niluial stood in front of her.

The graceful figure yawned and peered over at Cami, rubbing away the sleep from her eyes. Then, realization seemed to dawn in Niluial's mind as she slowly recognized her childhood friend. "Cami, is that you? Camelia Goodchild! I don't believe it! Whatever are you doing in Tukborough? Why aren't you in Buckland taking care of the Brandybuck family's children?"

"Well, I'm not in Buckland, as you can see. And that's a very long story." Cami looked upset, hesitated for a minute, and then plunged ahead. "You wouldn't happen to have anything to eat. I'm keeling over from hunger."

Niluial reached out to squeeze Cami's hand as the two women went over to a small table and sat down. A pitcher of milk and a plate of bread magically appeared. The plump hobbit began ravenously devouring the entire loaf, cutting off successive slices at one end and making her way through to the other.

Between mouthfuls of bread and gulps of milk, Cami managed to explain her situation to Niluial. She'd been given a month's holiday by the Brandybucks who thought she was working far too hard. With so much free time, she'd decided to go up and visit Hob. Perhaps, they could talk things over and make up their differences, and she could persuade him to leave the Chief's employ. Perhaps they would even set a date to get married.

Only after she'd arrived at the Shirriff-House, Hob was nowhere to be seen. One of the hobbits had confided to her that Hob had just left that morning on an errand to Tukborough with two other Shirriffs. No one seemed to know exactly what that errand was. But as Cami went about the guardhouse asking questions, she began to get a little suspicious. Still, the only real information she could glean was that the three were headed towards Tukborough on some task that Bill Ferny had devised.

Cami leaned over confidentially to Niluial, her face red and angry, "Bill Ferny! Can you believe that? My Hob on an errand for Bill Ferny! Everything I've heard about that man makes me twitch. So I said to myself 'enough is enough'. If Hob wants to work for Ferny, then he can sleep alone in his bed. I'll not marry a man in Ferny's employ! Not for the richest farmstead in all the Shire."

Cami grimly folded her arms in front of her chest and glowered back at her friend. Niluial leaned over reassuring Cami with a gentle pat on her hand. "I'm so sorry all this has happened. That sluggard Hob deserves a rap on the head. But I still don't understand why you're here in Tukborough."

" Here! I'm here to find Hob and throw his betrothal band back in his face. To give him a piece of my mind!" Cami held up her left hand showing a handsome ring with a bright red stone. "And if I can't find Hob myself, I'll hand it to his parents with a nasty note."

Niluial glanced over at her friend and lowered her voice, "Cami, I do have another idea. A way to get back against Ferny and his lot, and to help Paladin out. A way to show Hob that you mean business!" Niluial cupped her hand over her mouth and whispered in Cami's ear, outlining the details of the plan to travel to the South Farthing and secure a load of pipeweed for Paladin and his household right under the nose of Ferny and the Shirriffs. When Niluial finished, she leaned back and asked, "So, will you do it? Come along with us...?"

Cami sat a moment and thought, weighing the arguments Niluial had made. Uncertain what to say or do, she finally responded, "Niluial, I would. I'd love to go with you and Josh and the others. But I have such a craving to tell Hob off to his face that I don't feel I can leave just yet. I need to find him and take care of this business first."

Cami looked up and added, "But I can promise this. I'll search the central town and marketplace this morning. If I manage to find Hob and do what needs to be done, I'll swing back to join you before your group rides out. If I know hobbits, someone will insist on a second breakfast, and you'll never leave before mid-morning."

Niuluial shook her head, "You're probably right." Then she told Cami where she could meet the band which was gathering at the old trysting tree just east of town, quite close to the main roadway.

Cami said nothing but stared soulfully down at her ring. Hobbit lads could be such a nuisance. Her mother had insisted that she settle down and get married, and she was really trying. Was Hob the right one or not? He was a good man and kind when he wasn't running round with the Shirriffs, yet, in all truthfulness, she really wasn't sure. But she did know one thing. Until Hob set down his Shirriff's cap, she was not about to give him the time of day. And today she would go out and tell him that in no uncertain words. Maybe, if she finally confronted him, she would learn the truth, not just about Hob and his post as a Shirriff but how she really felt about him in her own heart.

Keeping her final confused thoughts to herself, Cami rose to say goodbye to Niluial and told her she would see her later.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #48
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Even after finally getting out of his door, Dury had much trouble keeping himself moving. He usually loved walks, taking in the view, visiting friends, saying hello even to those who would have liked to chase him across the shire with a garden-hoe. Now he saw little of the things that passed him by, and it was dark besides, too early in the morning for the sun, and therefore too early for any hobbits. It was only several miles to the old trysting tree, to where his companions would be gathering. Well, more than several. He only wished he would not be the last to arrive. They would have to wait for him, though. He was, after all, one of the oldest hobbits of the group. A strange thing, as Dury had been all too used to there being someone older than him, at least outside his little family. There was always a grandfather before this. But, then, grandfathers were much to old to go on journeys, especially one such as theirs.

As the first fingers of light rose on the horizon, followed by a burning orange ball, Dury tried to decide just what kind of journey it was. 'Dangerous' was a word that popped into his head too often. It was a family journey -- his wife's family. It was rebellious. Dury winced. Now there was a harsh word. Rebellious against that Chief and his cronies? Any hundreds of hobbits would be hard pressed to be that. What was the point of this journey? What were they doing, going off to this farmer? Were they merely picking up some goods, quite a normal activity? Or…were they resisting the force of 'the Chief?' Well, if they were doing that, 'the Chief' happened to have a lot of force, and they certainly did not! Paladin may be a wise old hobbit, and a wild Took at that, but he wasn't even taking part in the actual journey. He was simply a force behind it. A small force, mind.

The clouds above shown in bright colors, and the light ran through the trees along the road to play between shadows in the grass, but Dury didn't notice its beauty, all wrapped up in his dreary thoughts. Or perhaps he did notice; though no natural painting could affect his mood. Drawing near Tookborough certainly did not. He was surprised to find himself in lands he associated with his wife's family; Dury did not remember walking all those miles. Where would he meet them? O yes, the Stone. He remembered how fascinated by the stone he had been as a child, it had been such a good play thing. It had been a fort, a great mountain, a wall, a bed, and any number of things. Those memories brought a smile for the first time that dreadful morning. Mirdy and Dora would be big enough to play on it soon!

The smile was wiped from his face, as the memories were from his mind, all at the sight of the source of the memories. His companions to be surrounded it, most spread out on the grass talking, and some even cooking second breakfast. He was the last one to arrive, though the others seemed in no hurry to leave. Dury counted the hobbits present. Five. That was their group, wasn't it? Were they not leaving? Adjusting the pack on his back, he gave himself the time to think. And to bring himself together! His mind had been in a thousand places at once since he had awoken that morning, and his dreams had not been much better. There was nothing worse than a bad dream, except waking to a bad day. Dury tried not to frown, but he had the feeling his attempts only made him look pained.

Dury dropped his pack and sat down heavily by Josh and Niluial. For some reason, young Josh looked no better than Dury felt, though Dury was sure Josh wasn't worried about the journey ahead. Perhaps nervous, but not worried. The boy was a Brandybuck-Took, after all. "Err…Shouldn't we be on our way?"

Dury waited a moment, but Josh didn't answer. He kept glancing at Niluial, though his mind seemed to be far away.

"Josh?"

"Oh! Hallo Dury! I-I hope your walk here was nice."

"It was…fine," Dury changed what he had wanted to say. Horrid. Ghastly. "Shouldn't we be leaving?"

"Well, we're going to, but Cami might join us, and we all wanted a rest before we start."

"Of course. I just thought… Well…," Dury eyed some sausages being cooked before him. "Do you mind…?"

For a moment Josh looked at him, a picture of perfect confusion. 'The strangest hobbit he is,' he must be thinking, Dury thought.

"Oh!" For the second time in moments, he had surprised Josh. "Of course, Dury, though you'll have to wait a bit, they can't be cooked yet. It's only been a minute."

Dury nodded and said his thanks. Good. A rest before they started off was most welcome, but they had best get moving soon. The quicker they got to that farm, the quicker they were home with their leaf, and the quicker the 'resisting' was over with.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #49
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Lyra's post

30 October

Bill grimaced to himself as he made his way east. It wasn't that it was any surprise to him that his orders had been changed suddenly- that was a frequent occurence. It was annoying, that was all. Instead of being able to plunder the rich pickings of the Tooks, he was sent to guard the gate from Bree. From what? Those trees that the Hobbits seemed so scared of perhaps?

An honoured duty, the note from the boss had said. Bill snorted. Oh yes, honoured alright. Still, if he made fast progress perhaps he could drop in on the Brandybucks. They were little better than the Tooks. He couldn't do anything drastic, not without orders, but they must have some things lying around. In this life you had to take what you could when opportunity showed itself.

The sun was now quite high in the sky, and morning was passing fast. Josh stretched himself lazily, struck by a sudden lethargy. His stomach felt pleasantly warm and full. What he needed now was a nice lie down. A picture of his bed, covered in greenwool blankets drifted across his mind. A short nap would set him up for the day. He didn't see the point of this leaving-at-dawn thing. Not that it was dawn. Surely it would make more sense to leave in, say, the early afternoon? Just after lunch? It wasn't like Longbottom was going anywhere. Surely Pippin and Merry, wherever they were, weren't expected to leave at dawn to go off on their adventures. It was quite impractical. In fact, perhaps today was not the right day to start after all? Maybe...

Josh shook himself. He looked around, as if to work out whether any of the other Hobbits had seen that his courage had failed him. He felt ashamed of himself. The adventure hadn't even started and he was being a coward- there was no other way to put it.

With quiet determination Josh began to plan out the route in his mind. He knew the area well from his childhood, which was perhaps why Paladin had put him in charge of finding the way. They would make their way through the hills, avoiding the villages, towards the river. There was a grove of trees there, sheltered, with a sort of travellers resting place- a fire pit and that sort of thing. It was the only place near there that was any use to camp, because it was surrounded by marsh. Josh wondered about the past time when that had been necessary for safety. Perhaps the Shire wasn't even the Shire then. Men might have lived there, or even Elves. The camp spot was a little out of the way because it meant you had to go back through the marsh on the safe path to get back onto the way, but Paladin thought that was the safest place to camp. Josh had been surprised Paladin knew about the campsite. He couldn't imagine his uncle as a lad, exploring.

Then it was simple to travel to Longbottom. They would go part of the way along the road, even. This was the dangerous part, because men and Shirriffs used that road. Josh felt a little rumble of anxiety, and squashed it. They would be fine.

Paladin gazed on the assembled Hobbits with an air of paternal pride. There were the party who would be going to Longbottom, as well as relatives and well wishers. And what were they doing? Not checking the equipment and bidding tearful farewells, but eating second breakfast and laughing. It was at times like this he was most glad to be Hobbit.

"Friends" he announced, clapping his his hands together. It took a while because of the chatter, but gradually the Hobbits fell silent and looked at him. "We are here to bid goodbye to these brave Hobbits who, knowing the risks of the present situation, are off to do a good deed for us- and a bad one for those men!"
There were a few cheers.

"Even with the state of things how they are, I have no doubt that they will return safe and well in a few days time. Nevertheless I salute these Hobbit who are not accepting the situation, who aren't just getting on with their lives and ignoring everything else, but who are doing something about it. I look forward to the time when the rest of us will follow their example."

There was little reaction to the speech. Paladin could see expressions of confusion on quite a few faces. They couldn't work out exactly what he was trying to say. He smiled fondly, and nodded farewell to the valiant young Hobbits who were setting off. At least he'd made them think.

Child's post

Niluial had found herself growing more and more impatient as Dury and Josh sat down to eat an overflowing platter of sausages with several stacks of pancakes served up on the side. Cami had been right about that second breakfast. Niluial pouted in frustration; she'd had her fill of eating and waiting and talking.

Let's get on with it! she thought to herself. There's no sense sitting here while the better part of the morning slips by. What was wrong with these folk? It was as if they really didn't want to go. Frustrated and unable to sit still, Niluial gathered up her pack and headed down to the nearby stream, throwing pebbles into the water.

It was then that she heard a familiar voice calling out to her from across the distant field. "Niluial, it's me. Cami..."

Glancing up, Niluial saw Cami emerge with her pony from the thick grass and bracken. Niluial ran forward to greet her, barking out her questions, "Any luck? Have you seen Hob? Are you coming with us?" The queries all came rushing out of Niluial's mouth with no rest in between.

"No, no, and no!" Cami responded with a vehement shake of her head. "I've seen nothing of Hob or his companions. I must have asked two dozen folk, and no one has caught a glimpse of any Shirriffs in these parts. I've scoured the central part of town from one end to the other, including the market place and the Great Smials itself."

Cami ruefully looked at her friend with a discouraged expression on her face, "You and your friends will have to go ahead without me. I'm really sorry, but I refuse to leave this place until I give Hob a piece of my mind! He and the other Shirriffs must be camped somewhere on the outskirts of town. I'll ride out on Dandelion and have a look all about the surrounding countryside. They can't have vanished into thin air."

With that, the two friends parted for the second time that day. Cami mounted up on her pony and quickly headed out, hastily cutting across fields and wooded groves, leaving the main roadway behind her. Niluial went back to her friends and was pleased to see that all the company had finally finished their breakfasts and gathered together with their packs and weapons strapped to their backs. Paladin was just finishing speaking to them and final goodbyes were said to the few friends who had come along to bid them farewell. The band set out and made its way steadily eastward on the main road that ran towards Stock. Long before that point, Josh intended to have the hobbits veer off towards the south, heading east of Pincup towards the Shirebourne, which Paladin deemed a safe place to camp for that night.

Old 09-29-2003, 01:18 AM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

30 October

They kept off the main road that ran from Stock to Tukburrough. It’s not that they minded anyone seeing them - it was just what was the fun of walking along a road scaring the travelers on it, when they could be busy with the little weasels in their holes. Knocking some sense into them, flexing the Boss’ arm, showing ‘em who was who now in the Shire.

Assiram had grown up on a hardscrabble little holding on the outskirts of the old Osgiliath. Thugs there had hit his family’s and others holdings hard during those years. His parents eventually dying in one of the raids. It had made an impression on the scrawny little kid he’d been then. Best get on the side of power – ‘It’s the strong arm what gets ya what ya want,’ he remembered one of the ruffians rasping out at him in one of the early bands of roving men that had taken him in as an extra hand.

He’d kept that as his motto. Making himself strong and useful and making sure he always stood on the side of the one he saw as giving him the advantage. And now he was working with Ferny, and Ferny he could see worked for someone even more powerful. ‘Ferny!’ he spat on the ground as he thought about him. He had the ear of the big Boss now, but Assiram thought that after this little venture, perhaps Ferny could somehow quietly ‘disappear’, killed in the skirmish . . . and with him gone there were ‘possibilities’ that opened up . . . someone would be needed to fill his ‘position’ . . .

It was in such a mind that Assiram cursed at his two companions and ordered them on at a quicker pace.

Just east of the Great Smials, they holed up for a while in a small clearing near a stream. ‘We’ll camp here for now, and wait for the sun go down,’ he growled at them. They threw up a hasty, cheerless camp. ‘No fires,’ he’d growled at them. ‘I don’t want us to be seen.’

After a silent, cold meal of journey bread and dried meats washed down with water from the stream, he gathered the other two near him and spoke of the plan he’d been putting together as they drew near to Tukburrough.

‘We’ll go look it over tonight, when it gets dark,’ he told them. ‘There be plenty of stories the old Hobbit has a lot of gold and other treasures hidden away. No reason why we can’t make quite a haul from raiding him.’ he picked up a small rock and threw it toward one of trees at the edge of the clearing. It bounced off the bark with a satisfying thunk, leaving a gash in the trunk.

‘You two need to check on the number of men he has there – it’s a big place, we’ll need to know the number of rats that need taking care of, and how well armed they look.’ He waited for their nods of assent. ‘I’ll poke around and see how we can best get in and out of the nasty hole. Tomorrow we’ll hit ‘em hard . . .’

Assiram fished in his pack for his little whetstone and drew out his dagger. Snick . . . snick . . . the sound of the stone against blade edge added a sinister undercurrent to the natural sounds in the clearing.

Keeping his head down, bent on the sharpening of his weapons, Assiram’s oily voice wove another unpleasant note into the air. ‘Either of you have any questions . . . or suggestions . . .?’
Old 09-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #51
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Boots

30 October

Niluial watched Dury and Josh and other hobbits stuffing there faces with sausages and pancakes and many treats. Cami had been right about that second breakfast. Niluial huffed and sighed so many times and yet no one picked up that she wanted to go already. Let's get on with it! Niluial thought. There's no sense sitting here while the better part of the morning slips by. What was wrong with these folk? It was as if they really didn't want to go!

Niluial stood up unable to sit still and gathered her things and packed her bag and stampeded down to the nearby stream. She picked up a smooth pebble and threw it in the water. And then another and another and soon ten minutes had gone.

She mumbled a few words to herself and groaned a little more. Ok so I am a bit of a moaner but they must learn to live with it and learn to keep track of time, food is not important Paladins leaf is! Niluial heard a distant cry "Niluial, it's me. Cami..."

Niluial glanced up and saw Cami in the distance on her pony. Niluial ran towards her to greet her (and of course be nosey and find out as much as she could). "Any luck? Have you seen Hob? Are you coming with us?" Niluial asked. Cami looked confused and couldn’t answer one question for another one was thrown at her.

"No, no, and no!" Cami responded shaking her head. "I've seen nothing of Hob or his companions. I must have asked two dozen folk, and no one has caught a glimpse of any Shirriffs in these parts. I've scoured the central part of town from one end to the other, including the market place and the Great Smials itself."

Niluial looked at Cami with a depressed expression. "You and your friends will have to go ahead without me. I'm really sorry, but I refuse to leave this place until I give Hob a piece of my mind! He and the other Shirriffs must be camped somewhere on the outskirts of town. I'll ride out on Dandelion and have a look all about the surrounding countryside. They can't have vanished into thin air."

With that, Niluial and Cami parted for the second time that day. Cami mounted up on her pony and smiled and waved at Niluial and Niluial waved back. Niluial walked back to her friends and was happy to see that all the company had finished eating their second breakfast and they were all packed up with their packs and weapons strapped to their backs. Paladin was just finishing speaking to them and final goodbyes were said to the few friends who had come along to bid them farewell. They all set out and headed eastward on the main road that ran towards Stock.

Niluial looked at Josh wondering Josh is acting strangely today. She tried to get his attention but he did not look over his shoulder. Niluial sat sighed and looked over at Tim and yet he was too busy dreaming of his precious Lilly. Today was most certainly not Niluial's day.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #52
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Despite everything Hob did to try and encourage his companions to get moving, a full hour had passed before they finished breakfast and sat down to discuss their plans for the day. Ferny's men were still nowhere in sight.
"But, weren't they supposed to meet us outside of town," Brass objected. "So we can all go together to the Tooks?"

"I thought so," responded Hob. "But maybe we're mistaken." After much debate back and forth, Hob suggested he take a look around town to see if Ferny's henchmen were already there. Olo gave his consent, albeit grudgingly, since Hob was the only one of the three Shirriffs who'd spent any time in Tukborough and knew his way around the place.

Swathed in a heavy woolen cloak with the hood pulled down over his face, Hob disappeared over the ridge and made his way towards the Great Smials. Once in the center of town, he was careful to give a wide berth to anyone who might recognize him and generally stuck to the side streets and alleyways, taking care to ask questions only of folk he did not know. If the whole truth be told, Hob spent as much time searching for Cami as he did for Ferny and his men. But the results were equally discouraging. There were no reports of any Big Folk in town and no hobbit travellers who fit Cami's description.

It was on the way back towards camp that Hob first got sight of the band of hobbits heading eastward. They were walking briskly along the road, evidently on some kind of an important errand, and were carrying an assortment of weapons, as if they feared to run into trouble along the way. Hob's eyes widened in surprise as he saw Josh Brandybuck leading the band, since the latter was known to have close ties with the Took and to be unsympathetic to the Shirriffs and all the new ways that the Chief had brought in.

Taking a shortcut across the wooded grove to avoid detection, Hob came running in to camp, bubbling over with the news about the hobbit band heading out on the road.

Olo was frankly perpelexed. "You're sure Ferny's men weren't in Tukborough?"

Hob vigorously nodded his head. "I'm sure. Someone would have seen one of the Big Folk and been talking about it."

"And you're sure about this other group. Perhaps they were just out on a picnic or other such foolishness."

"No, I'm sure. Come, they should be coming this way soon. We'll hide in the bracken on either side of the road, and you have a look. Then tell me what you think."

Within a few moments Josh and the other travellers came swinging down the track, looking very determined, and discussing some sort of errand on which they'd been sent by the Tooks."

As they watched the lads and lasses march by, Olo stood up and shook his head, whispering to Hob, "I hate to admit it, but I think you may be right. That bunch is up to no good. Maybe we better have a look."

Brass cut in, "But what if Ferny's men come? They'll be angry we're not here."

Olo thought a minute and sighed, "But Ferny will be even angrier if he hears we let a whole crew of armed hobbits get away and not find out what they're up to."

The three agreed to trail along behind to try and find out what was happening. Hob heaved a sigh of relief. As much as he'd like to have caught up with Cami, anything was better than their original mission of launching an assault on the Great Smials, even tracking a group of hobbits out into the countryside. For the rest of the afternoon, the Shirriffs cautiously made their way through the underbrush along the side of the road, close enough to keep an eye on Josh, but always being careful to stay out of sight.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM   #53
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Dury tasted dust. Grit, dirt, and dust. Or perhaps it was just his imagination. Will everything else so horribly wrong and terribly horrible, Dury was sure his mind could easily add something so small as a mouthful of grime into the mix. His legs were horribly sore, he had cut his foot on a stone, and he was positive he would not be able to walk after they stopped for a luncheon. Not for days. And they had days yet to go, days of walking, eating only what could travel with them. They would stop for lunch, wouldn't they? He knew they would not be stopping at any inns. Word would reach the Shirrifs at a snap of fingers, if a Shirrif was not actually present at the inn. Dury's head hurt. He had been thinking all morning, his forehead creased with worry. It seemed that the creasing was becoming permanent. He tasted dust. Was it not only an hour ago that he had tasted nice, juicy, and tasty cooked sausages?

Dury had hoped to stall the beginning of this journey even further than second breakfast, but he had been quite unsuccessful. He had barely managed a quarter of an hour more in taking as much time as possible in packing and sorting and re-packing his things. If only he had written himself a list, then he would have been able to busy himself with that. Still, most likely that Falco would've gotten his hands on anything that would have aided Dury. What a pushy...a pushy...hobbit! He had herded Dury like a little lost sheep. A particularly bad behaved little lost sheep. Even though Falco was exceptional at herding and being a very nasty person indeed, it seemed Niluial was the rightful leader. At least, in Dury's mind she was. She was quite intelligent, and seemed enthusiastic about this journey. If her common-sense were so scrambled that she was thrilled to be doing this... But, Josh also seemed to be wholehearted about their 'mission,' and he was a smart lad. Dury would have said the boy would be the perfect leader if Josh were not so shy and awkward. Once he grew out of that, though, he would be the next candidate for Mayor of Michel-Delving.

It took Dury a few moments to get his feet moving faster, but he was able to shuffle his way up beside Josh. The legs beneath him had most definitely seen better days. They had seen better mornings, that was certain. Josh looked little better than...Dury's foot. Well, it was not that the young hobbit seemed sick. No, it was more that he just seemed so...so far away. Dury could tell Josh was thinking just as much as he himself had, yet no lines of worry creased his face. That, at least, was good. The young Brandybuck-Took was just thinking.

Dury cleared his throat loudly. "How do you ail, Josh? I already am sore to the bone from all this walking."

Dury chuckled a bit, a dry, halfhearted laugh, sounding almost fake. Really, it was fake, mostly. Part of it was a laugh of weariness, though. The laugh trailed off as Josh continued to let his mind wander far away. Dury fiddled with his belt. Perhaps it would take a moment for the hobbit to draw his mind back. In the mean time, Dury's mind wandered off again, thinking again of those sausages and that beautiful, wonderful, blissful hour ago.

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 10-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #54
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami had spent several hours riding about the countryside searching for any sign of Hob and his two companions. It was now mid-afternoon, and she was extremely tired, her muscles aching from too much time spent on the back of a horse. Her stomach growled in protest, as she had missed both lunch and first tea and had neglected to bring along anything to eat, relying only on a few berries and nuts that she'd found along the trail.

Her search had turned up nothing. She'd scrutinized the roads from one end of Tukborough to the other as well as many of the wooded groves and open fields on the outskirts of town. She'd run into any number of hobbits who'd tried to help her, but no one had seen Hob or a group of travellers dressed in Shirriff's garb.

A couple of these folk had expressed concern that she was out on her own scouring the countryside without a companion or a real weapon to defend herself. They had urged her to return to the safety of the town or at least to take other precautions, since there were too many bad 'uns out these days to let down one's guard completely, even here in Tookland, although the place was admittedly safer than many others in the Shire. Cami promised to heed their warnings but then went blithely forward on her errand, certain that these hobbits were being overly alarmist.

Coming to a lovely clearing just under a hill with an inviting stream running through it, she'd thrown off her pack and let her pony graze on the tall grasses growing nearby. After taking a long drink and filling her bottle with water, she sauntered up the hill to have a look at the spring that was the source of the water bubbling down into the clearing. Following along for a short distance, she came to a stand of tall pines at the very top of the hill. She stopped to sprawl out on the forest floor, intending to rest for only a moment. But the ground, which was blanketed with soft pine needles, reminded her of a fine feather bed. Having ridden the whole night before without any rest, she curled up on her side, drawing her knees close to her body, and soon fell asleep.

Several hours had passed when Cami finally awoke. The sun had dipped lower in the sky and, although it was difficult to be sure with all the trees obscuring her view of the horizon, she judged it to be late afternoon. Cami groggily sat up and was about to go hunting for Dandelion when she heard the sound of voices coming from the clearing just below. Thinking that she'd finally stumbled upon Hob and his friends, she almost ran down the hill to welcome her new neighbors, but something inside whispered a word of warning. Instead, she crept up to the edge of the clearing and peered out cautiously surveying the entire camp.

There were three Big Folk engaged in conversation. Just from their looks and bearing, Cami did not feel too safe. And what they were discussing caused her to draw back in real fright.....confusing words about going to steal 'treasures' from the Tooks and how the 'little rats' needed to be taken care of. Cami doubted the Tooks had any treasures that would interest the Big Folk, but, from the sound of their voices, the members of this small band meant serious business.

Her first impulse was to find her pony and gallop down the hill and straight across the fields to warn the Thain. But that was impossible. Her pony was nowhere in sight, probably running back to the Great Smials himself since he'd been there many times before and knew that he could get a comfortable stall with a load of hay to eat.

Cami's next impulse was to crawl up to the grove of pines and head down the back of the hill on foot, taking the long way around the men's encampment. But that looked awfully risky. The far side of the hill was much steeper and rockier that she expected, plunging downward in a sheer cliff for a number of feet. She was no expert at rock climbing and would likely end up with a broken head if she tried anything that daring.

She considered creeping carefully to the far side of the camp through the undergrowth and bracken, escaping under the very noses of the three men. But the sun was still bright overhead and the look of the one fellow who was sharpening his knife made her extremely reluctant to try that. The man named Assiram had stationed a guard on the perimeter of camp and, with the way her luck was running, she would most certainly get caught.

Cami frantically looked around, noticing several large boulders that had tumbled halfway down the hill along with the remains of a fallen tree. Acting out of instinct, she did what any hobbit might have done in similar circumstances. She dug in and stayed. Crouching down behind the rocks, she began to claw frantically both with her hands and a nearby tree branch enlarging the hole underneath the tangled limbs. Within a few moments, she was able to slip her body adroitly inside the makeshift burrow, settling in to wait. Once darkness had fallen, it should be safe for her to creep to the other side of camp and return to the Great Smials as speedily as she could.

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

October 30 - Lyra's post

It had been a hard day's walking. Josh was suddenly aware of how little he'd been doing recently, and his legs seemed even more aware of it than he was. There was a dull ache running up the backs of his shins, ever since early afternoon. When they'd had their lunch he'd been fine, he hadn't wanted to stop in fact. It was a lovely bright day for autumn, and the Green Hill Country was more beautiful than he'd remembered.

Then gradually the pains had started, and he'd stopped chatting quietly to Niluial about their gardens. He'd walked alone, trying to ignore the pain by thinking about the past, the times he'd come here before. Many Hobbits believed Merry and Pippin were dead, along with Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee but Josh couldn't imagine it. Pippin had always been there. At a more mature age now Josh could laugh at the hero worship he'd lavished on his cousin, but he still couldn't see him as anything but indestructible.

Lost in the past trying to escape the pain of the present Josh only grunted at frequent "Are we almost there?" and "Can we stop here?"s from Dury, even though he would have loved to stop where he was too. Pride was the only thing that made him continue to the campsite Paladin had chosen, as Josh thought that his uncle's caution was ridiculous. This was the Shire, and more than that it was the Green Hill Country. The Tooks' back garden. Aching legs were the worst you could expect here, Josh thought, sighing with relief as he finally spotted the edge of the marshy land around the Shirebourn. Finally.

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #56
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

October 30 early night - the Henchmen and Cami

‘Rotten blighter!’ muttered Ahriman, a mean scowl clouding his face as he looked toward Assiram. ‘Who does he think he is . . . ordering us about . . . like he’s the High King hisself . . .’

Ahriman grumbled to himself as he walked the perimeter of the camp. He’d had enough of tramping through the countryside and wanted to get back to the comforts of the Inn. A pint of ale, a pipe to smoke, and plenty of coin jingling in his pocket . . . that plus a little roughing up of the Shire vermin and he’d consider this a job come to a satisfying conclusion. He’d made the suggestion when Assiram asked for it - that they just force their way into that Smials place now and be done with it.

‘We’re armed better’n them,’ he’d said. ‘And bigger. Let’s just smash in the door and take what we want. Make an example of Mr. High-and-Mighty-Hole-Dweller while we’re at it.’

Assiram had spat on the ground at his suggestion saying they were going to do it his way – he wanted plenty of time to look around the place for what the old man had. Then he sent Ahriman off to patrol the camp. Patrol the camp! What a joke! Here they were in the middle of nowhere and who was he thinking was going to attack them . . . Such thoughts as these preoccupied the man as he trudged slowly about the outskirts of the area. The sun was hanging low in the sky, a chill evening breeze had come up. Ahriman pulled his cloak tighter about him. He continue to grumble and mutter as he walked . . . He looked toward the west where the sun was barely visible through the trunks of the trees. ‘At least it’ll be sunset soon, and we can get on with our business.’

He’d come to the area where they’d picketed the horses, glancing at them as he walked by. His eyes went wide. He squinted at the group. There were four horses there! No, not four horses – three horses and a pony! And a brassy little pony to boot. There it was chomping away on the oats they’d put out for their mounts!

‘Oy! You! Scurvy little hayburner!’ Ahriman went running at the pony, his arms flapping wildly. The pony eyed him and snorted - then took one more bite of oats and with a kick of his heels toward the advancing man, took off.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cami heard the man’s shouts and peeked out carefully from round the boulder. There was Dandelion running pell mell up the hill while one of the ruffians sat on the ground shouting curses and holding his leg. ‘Well done, Dandy!’ she cheered to herself, stifling a laugh that sprang to her lips.

The grimness of the situation set quickly in on her once more, her face reflecting the seriousness of the situation. The doughty Hobbit gave a soft, short whistle, and after a few moments the pony found the way to her side.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

‘Wotcher goin’ on about, you fool! Shut your trap! You want everyone to know we’re here?’

Assiram and Helios came running to where Ahriman writhed on the ground, rubbing his right thigh. ‘Blasted beast kicked me!’ he hissed at them, motioning in the direction the pony had run.

The sun heaved a last sigh, its light flaring up for just a moment as the clouds scattered from the horizon, then it dipped beneath the rim of the world. Assiram squinted up the hill and saw nothing. The moon had not yet risen and all was in darkness. ‘Nothing there now,’ he growled at Ahriman. ‘Get up! It’s goin’ on dark. We’ll wait a space then go to the Old Took’s place and case it. You two getcher gear together and your mounts ready.’

Ahriman stood and said, ‘I been thinkin’ . . .’ An argument ensued concerning who was going to do what followed by another round of ‘Why can’t we just get it done tonight.’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was frightening to hear the ruffians argue. Their voices were harsh and often their fists were raised and threats made. Cami steeled herself against her fear and quietly led Dandelion up the hill, darting from boulder to tree to boulder until they reached the ridge. Then, making her way silently in the shadows of the trees she turned in the direction of Great Smials. The voices had faded as she put a distance between herself and the Men.

When she felt it was safe, she mounted up and kicked her heels hard into Dandelion’s flanks. ‘Hurry Dandy!’ she whispered to the pony, urging it on. ‘We need to get into town and let Paladin know what’s happening.’
Old 10-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #57
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

October 30th -- night

Olo stretched as he saw that they had reached the Shirebourne. "Drat those Big Folks...those men...those oafs," he mutterd to himself as he began to unroll his blankets. "Big Folk, eh?" he spluttered. "Big in brawn and big in height, but small in brains! They knew they were to meet us near Tookland and they ain't there. What a surprise," he snorted.

Perching like a barrel upon his wooly heals, Olo lit his pipe and mused the news that Hob had brought about the parcel of hobbits that he had seen. He frowned, and began to absently trace a square in the ground. Then he added some checks and did a rough outline of the figures on a chess board. "We're black, for bad," he mumbled through his pipe. "They're white for goody goodies." He blew a smoke ring on the board and studied it. "Hey, Brass me mate, what do them Tooks like, 'specially ole Paladin an' his gang?"

"Food," Brass suggested helpfully, glancing up from a piece of bread.

Olo rolled his eyes and stifled a sigh. "Every hobbit likes food, Brass," he said, pausing slightly after each word and adding particular stress to the word 'hobbit.' "Use yore head, Brassy," he added snappishly. "No...no...they're after something," he murmured, moving his bishop to threaten the king who posed for old Paladin.

With a heave he crawled around to the opposite side and pretended to be Paladin. "What kind o' fellow is Paladin?" he called to no one in particular.

"Kindly," Hob said promptly glancing at Olo.

"They're always kindly," Olo muttered. "Let's see...the men 'ave taken their food." He movied a pawn, a horse, threatening his bishop.

He switched sides again. "They have plenty of food at the block houses. We don't let them starve because they can't work when they're a rotting corpse in the ground." His rook retreated.

"We're in want of beer," Olo said nasally, mimicking Paladin. The white pawn that guarded the queen hopped forward two steps.

"Any hobbit can make beer," Olo snapped, bringing his knight into play.

"We're on a farming expedition," a pawn whined as he left the king's side unguarded.

"Too many people for that, especially with the lass," the black queen retorted, leaving the side of her liege.

"Relatives are sick," a bishop suggested as it manuevered itself so that it could threaten the black king in a move or two.

"I don't think so," said the black knight as it swept the white bishop off the field.

"A maying party," a pawn said, advancing warily a step.

Olo scowled at the board and swore quietly. The pipe fell from his mouth, the precious leaf spilled from the bowl and skipped dryly onto the dusty board. Of course. The Leaf supply was about cut off from the hobbits, especially the Tooks. They had to have run out somehow and instead of submitting to Sharkey, the fool had decided to go and get some, somehow. "Tobacco," the queen whispered as she glided up the board. "Checkmate, Paladin."

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #58
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

evening of 30 October

Cami crouched low over Dandelion's shoulder and spurred the pony onward towards the town, avoiding the road for fear she would be detected. She chose instead to cut straight across fields and grasslands in hopes that these shortcurts would get her there before the men. All thoughts of continuing her search for Hob had ended. The last omenous words she'd heard had been those of the ruffian responding to Assiram's suggesting that they go have a look at the Smials: Why can’t we just get it done tonight?

"Get it done tonight" Cami's stomach lurched upward as she remembered the casual tone the fellow had used, as if he was speaking of ridding an old shed of rats or other vermin. "Get it done" undoubtedly involved breaking into the Smials, carting off whatever loot could be found and, far more seriously, using daggers and swords against Paladin and whoever was staying with him.

If the men moved in the dead of night, the hobbits would be abed, probably deep in sleep after downing a hearty meal, and totally unaware that someone was about to disturb their peace. At any given time, Paladin had a goodly number of hobbits staying with him, relatives of the family as well as servants helping take care of the household. That would mean several strong arms to defend against the outlaws if they managed to break in, but it also guaranteed large hoards of hobbit children who would be totally defenseless against such an attack. And if the assault came without warning when folk were sleeping, all the strong arms of Tookland would not aid them in the slightest.

Cami spurred her pony faster at the thought of what such carnage could mean. Slipping into town through the side streets and alleyways, she glanced hastily over her shoulder and was relieved to see that no one was following her. She went up to the front entry way of the Smials and was about to yank down on the bellcord and pound loudly on the door when she stopped for a moment to jiggle the knob. The knob turned easily in her hand and the door swung inward. Like most hobbits, the Tooks were careless about locking things up and actually preferred to leave the entrance open so anyone would feel free to visit and enjoy their hospitality.

Cami shuddered to think what would have happened had Asiram and his band gotten here first. Thank goodness she had overheard that conversation! Leaving Dandelion tied up near the front gate and rushing forward into the hallway, Cami called out Paladin's name. For a moment or two, no one answered but then a small hobbit lad came skipping into the corridor holding half a piece of cake in one hand, the rest smeared generously across his face. The lad responded with a friendly grin, "Miss Cami, is that you? Are you visiting Tookland? Come inside. We're eating now. I know the Thain will want you to stay and have supper."

Without waiting to explain to the lad, Cami barged into the large chamber, which had a fire burning brightly and two long tables laden with assorted platters and dishes that had been set out for everyone to eat. Out of breath and shaking, she raced over to where Paladin was sitting at the very head of the board, spilling out her story as quickly as she could. By the time Cami had finished reporting, all the hobbits gathered near the front to listen to what the Thain would say. Paladin's response was swift and direct.

"So it's come to that, has it? Well, we expected it all along and have some plans up our sleeve. Cami, those were no ordinary bandits you saw. I'm willing to bet these are the doings of the Chief and the Big Folk who've come to cause trouble in the Shire. No doubt Sharkey is involved as well!"

Paladin turned to face the men, women, and children staring at him with anxious eyes, "No sleep tonight, and I'm afraid our dinner will have to wait. You all know what to do! Bolco and Tom, block the front entryway as best you can. I don't think it will keep them out for long, but it will buy us some time."

He stared over at his wife, "Eglantine, get some good stout frying pans from the kitchen, just in case. Then mount the children up on the ponies and make for the safety of the old cave that stands north of town, just as we discussed before. Wait there until I come out to get you when everything's calmed down."

Cami glanced nervously towards the Thain, "But if these thugs can get in the front entryway, how will you defend yourself?"

He looked at her and beamed, "Just wait and see. The Smials protects her own very well."

Cami glanced over towards the entry way where hobbits were bringing in wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow filled to overflowing with dirt and depositing it at the front of the main hall in which they stood.

Within less than an hour, the job was done. Eglantine and several of the women had led the children and ponies to safety, along with an assortment of dogs and cats and other household pets. The Thain had covered over the only entrance to the main tunnel quite clevery with a wall of dirt. Few would have suspected that this blank wall was actually concealing the one tunnel that led to the main occupied wings of the house.

But how will you get out?" puzzled Cami, looking at the mounds of earth blocking their exit.

Paladin laughed and explained, "There's a back entrance that leads to the other side of the hill. I don't expect the henchmen will find it, but just in case we've stationed a few hobbits there with weapons."

Cami had noticed two other tunnels that led out from the front hallway. These were now totally open and unguarded, and actually branched back onto a series of storage sheds filled with old junk, unoccupied burrows, and numberless tunnels that had been deserted years before. This maze deadended at the far side of the hill, with no way for the intruders to get out except to retrace their steps and exit by the front gate.

"That should keep them busy," Paladin rubbed his hands together in delight. "Those tunnels extend back up to a quarter of a mile, twisting and turning and looping in on each other. And as far as that old junk goes, they're welcome to whatever loot they can find. I've been meaning to clean those storage sheds out for some time now!"

"We'll stay here behind the earth wall armed and waiting, These men have no common sense when it comes to digging and burrows so I expect that they will never guess what's behind the dirt. But, just in case, we'll pile up the tables in front of the door and keep our weapons handy. If worse comes to worse, and they do find their way in, we'll hightail it out the back way before they get anywhere near us. Things are nothing. It's my people I'm worried about. Then we'll gather at the trysting tree and come at them good and proper with a contingent of hobbits fully armed."

"Shall I stay here and help you?" Cami asked, her face brightening.

The Thain shook his head. "I've another task for you." He began explaining to her about the group journeying to the South Farthing, when Cami interrupted and said how she'd already spoken with Niluial.

"Good then! No need for explanations. Someone needs to get on a pony and gallop down to their campsite on the Shirebourne as fast as they can to warn them about the men. I don't like the looks of this. Even if these Big Folk give up and leave, they may be hunting for another victim soon. This whole thing is just too much of a coincidence to make me comfortable!"

With that, Cami said her goodbyes to Paladin, stopping only to shove some food into a bag she thought she might be needing later that night. She was led through the maze of tunnels to the exit at the rear of the hill, and one of the hobbits brought her pony along to meet up with her. For the second night in a row, she was to ride hard without any sleep. She clambered up onto Dandelion's back yawning and struggling to keep her eyes open, then kicked the pony in the withers and headed out into the night. The last thing she glimpsed out of the corner of her eye was the shadowy outline of three big horsemen thundering down the lane in the direction of Tukborough.

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #59
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Niluial’s post: Oct. 30th - evening

Niluial sighed. Look what you got yourself into! All for some boy. You ought to be ashamed. Niluial was a really fussy ‘tween’ and didn’t like getting her hands dirty or her feet or anything dirty as a matter of fact. She moaned and groaned for a while but she stopped after she got a whole lot of looks from all her companions. I could do with dinner. Maybe some sausages and some delicious home made food. And I could then rest my injured feet (though we all know that Niluial was being a drama queen for her feet were not injured just tired! And they weren’t used to walking such far distances). Niluial went cold. Are we going to stop at all? It is late evening and we haven’t stopped for dinner yet. What about sleep!.

Niluial looked over her shoulder to Tim, he was all in a dreamy mood. Probably thinking of his sweet little Lilly. Then she looked at Josh, but looked him in the eye, her eyes were communicating with him, what’s wrong? They were saying. Niluial looked at Dury and giggled. Dury was also in a dreamy mood like Tim, but not dreaming about some silly girl, but dreamy about lovely thing such as food, food and yet more food.

Niluial was hurled out of her thoughts when she tripped over a big stone and fell to the ground. Her face went red as everyone looked at her.

“Uh, silly me” she said with a bright red face.

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-05-2003, 02:24 AM   #60
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Oct. 30th late night to early morning Oct. 31st

As soon as it was dark, Assiram led the other two men from the camp. The moon was bright above the trees, allowing them to see the narrow track alongside the main road. They rode quietly, no talk passing among them to break the silence of the night. When they had ridden for a while, Assiram called a halt and spoke softly to them.

‘We ain’t seen no one on the road since we been ridin’ alongside it. Let’s take the horses up and see if we can make for the mark’s house at a faster clip.’ His two companions nodded their heads and urged their horses up the small incline.

It was just after midnight when they reached the outskirts of Tukburrough. Assiram brought his horse to a halt, hissing at the others to do the same. None of them had ever been in this part of the Shire, and it took them some time, skulking about in the shadows of trees and bushes to find the dwelling they thought was probably the old Took’s.

‘Well, it’s a big enough heap . . . hold plenty of the vermin,’ whispered Ahriman. They were hidden in the shadows of a row of bushes near the front gate. ‘You go round to the left there and check things out, Helios,’ said Assiram in a low voice. ‘And you,’ he growled at Ahriman, go round to the right. Both a’ ya see if there are any lights on, people movin’ about, anybody outside on guard. Find us a way in . . . and be quiet about it . . . report back to me when yer done.’

Assiram nosed about the area in front of the dwelling. He put his ear to the door and could hear nothing, though in all probability, he thought to himself the door was a thick one that would muffle any sounds. Hoping against hope, he put his hand to the door’s knob and turned it slowly, and quietly. He paused, once he felt the barrel of the lock come free, then slowly opened the door a crack. It was dark as pitch inside, and quiet . . . very quiet.

‘This should be an easy hit,’ he snorted, pushing the door open a bit further and peeking his head in. They’re all asleep, the little fools, and they’ve left the door open for us.’

He stepped back out, closing the door silently behind him, and stepped into the shadows to wait for his fellow ruffians. They both returned soon. There had been nothing to alarm them – no signs of anyone patrolling the grounds, no lights on any where. Neither of them confessed to the fact that they hadn’t gone all they way round the dwelling’s hill. Both of them in the dim recesses of their minds were of the opinion that being bigger and smarter (they were after all Men, weren’t they?) gave them the advantage over any hole-dwelling creature.

There was a hurried conference just outside the gates where their horses were tethered. Assiram bade them get out their small lanterns and get them lit. ‘It’s darker’n the backside of a goblin,’ he told them. ‘Make sure ya hood those lanterns, boys. We don’t want a bright light announcing we’re here.’ They each grabbed a stout club and stuck it in the belt of their pants, and a couple of large flour sacks to haul off their swag in.

‘We’ll stick together. Don’t want any surprises sneaking up on us.’ They nodded their heads in unison, all of them thinking that the real reason they should stick close would be to keep an eye on the others.

Senses alert for any noises or movements in the dark, they made their way down the first tunnel to the left. There were a series of doors along it, each opening up into dusty and disused rooms. After the tenth door opened they all began to grumble a little. Their backs were aching from having to walk stooped in the low-ceilinged corridor, the air in the tunnel was dank and still, and there had been no sign of the vaunted treasure they had been promised.

‘Looks like they got tired of this side and abandoned it,’ commented Helios, as he brushed cobwebs from his hair. The only creatures left livin’ here are the spiders it seems.’ ‘Let’s go back and try the other side,’ suggested Ahriman. He mashed a spider under his boot heel, wishing all the while it was either Ferny or Assiram that had been squashed. Liars, both of them!

Assiram grunted, and let Ahriman take the lead back to the from entrance. He had seen the murderous gleam flare up in the man’s eye as their gazes met. He wanted him where he could keep an eye on him.

The second tunnel, at first, appeared more promising. The rooms were filled with things . . . lots of things . . . all sort of jumbled together. They pushed as far as they could into it, examining the rooms and their contents closely at first, sure there would find hidden riches. They busted open vases, and smashed up old desks looking for the places the promised gold might be hidden. There was nothing . . . not even a scrap of old jewelry that might bring a farthing in Bree.

Tempers were growing short, and their actions louder as they smashed their way through several more out-branchings filled with junk. Ahriman had just banged his head on the ceiling once again and he let out a foul curse. ‘Quiet,’ you’ll wake ‘em!’ growled Helios, nudging the shouting man with his club. Ahriman took offense and pushed back with all his strength against Helios, tumbling him backwards into a large heap of raggedy old curtains. Clouds of dust flew up as his backside sunk into the mound, and he started coughing and sneezing. Eyes tearing from the dust, he jumped up, yelling, and took a swing at Ahriman. ‘Now who’s being loud,’ cried Ahriman, jabbing the man in the chest with his club’s end.

‘As if it matters . . .!’ The icy voice of Assiram cut through their bickering. ‘If you haven’t noticed, there’s no sign of anyone actually living here, no hide nor hair of any Hobbits, other than their leftover garbage. We’ve been had. Ferny dangled this carrot in front of our noses, and now that we’ve looked closer, it’s rotten through and through.’ He picked up a tattered parasol and threw it against the wall. ‘There’s no rich Hobbit living here, no treasure to be found and taken . . . he’s given us directions to the Hobbits’ garbage dump! Probably thinks it’s funny, too . . .’ he gestured to the two other men. ‘C’mon boys, let’s get outta here. We’ve got a score to settle with Ferny once we meet up with him. I don’t like being played for a fool.’ He spat for emphasis on the ground. ‘He’s gonna have to pay us more for helpin’ him now.’

They made their way to the front exit and out through the gate. First light was just creeping up into the sky. They mounted their horses and rode south a ways. In the shelter of a secluded copse of trees, they bedded down - weary to the bone from their exertions and lack of sleep. They dropped off into uneasy slumber as the sun rose, their dreams filled with thoughts of phantom treasure and revenge . . .
Old 10-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #61
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child's post - 31 October

Cami clung to Dandelion's back like a small bur firmly embedded on a saddleblanket. Lying down close to her pony's mane and whispering encouragement in his ear, the pair kept up a steady pace as the miles slowly slipped behind them. Cami's initial route brought her due east along the Stock road; she then veered diagonally across the Green Hill Country on a southeasterly track that cut through the woodlands in the direction of the river.

More than once, her eyelids fluttered and grew oppresively heavy as her head nodded gently up and down in response to the pony's lengthening strides. She fought desperately to stave off sleep and clambered down from her saddle to kneel beside the stream and sluice cool water over her face. Once, after several hours of riding, Cami stopped to give Dandelion a rest and stretched out on a nearby hillock, coming perilously close to falling asleep. At the last minute, she yanked herself back to consciousness and climbed onto her pony's back, vowing to stay awake.

She kept herself alert by singing songs, reciting stories of Elves that she had learned from Bilbo, and rehearsing the stinging words she would direct at that worthless Hob the next time she saw him for having associates so scurrilous that they would dare mount an attack on the Smials. Mostly, she reflected on the small band of hobbits camped beside the river and wondered if Niluial was alright, or if Ferny had sent out more of his associates to accost other innocent folk.

It was close to dawn when she and her pony came stumbling out of the wooded grove. She had her first clear glimpse of the open fields of the South Farthing leading up to the Shirebourne River. The going was much easier here. There were no tangled tree roots or overhanging branches. The land was wet but flat, and Dandelion made good time cantering easily alongside the river.

Just when she feared that she could go no further, the small encampment of the hobbits came into view directly in front of her, nestled on the banks of the river. Spurring her mount on for one final effort, she galloped into the campsite, whooping and hollering for everyone to wake up.

In a few moments, she had spilled out every detail of her story about the conversation she'd overheard, the clever defense that Paladin had devised, and how she'd seen the ruffians galloping into town just as she was leaving. She warned Josh to be wary of anyone they might meet on the road and to keep a lookout posted day and night, in case Ferny decided to act. Relieved that her friends were alright, yet too exhausted to hold up any longer, Cami sank back into a bedroll that Niluial had loaned to her. The last thing she heard while falling asleep was that the hobbits planned to stay at the camp another hour or two to cook breakfast and discuss their plans before again setting out across the fields to Longbottom.

[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-09-2003, 10:56 AM   #62
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

October 31

Olo stretched and yawned as the bright sunlight insolently urged him awake and hauled him to his feet. The remains of his chessboard still remained in the dirt, but the fire was mere embers and needed to be revived. "Oh bother," he muttered looking at the sun. "No time to cook breakfast. Left over dinner it is, then." He made a wry face. "Everybody wake up," he bellowed as he began to pack up. "We get on the road now."

With much clanking and ruckus, Olo packed the cooking utensils and the food, throwing some cooked ham that he had discovered in his pack over to the other two drowsy hobbits. Taking a pail of water, he doused the glowing embers and listened with satisfaction the harsh sizzle that erupted from the clouds of smoke. Taking his large furry foot, he effectively spread the ashes across the land and said proudly, "Now no passing hobbits will ever know 'twas us here."

With heavy packs swung over their shoulders and some grumbling between their teeth, the hobbit shirrifs crept after the group of hobbits, Olo still berating the men. "Still, best not to go too swiftly," Olo mused to himself as he gradually slowed the pace somewhat. "We got loot to look forward to an' all, but what Ferny said about them Tooks..." he shook his head.

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 10-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #63
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Pipe

October 30th - Night

Dury lay sprawled on his blanket. He had been all too right. He was so sore he could not budge a limb. He had not strength left in him. He wished he could rub his legs, but he could not lift his arms. And that Falco had told him to stop complaining, told him a good night's sleep would bring him into a new day, ready for more walking. More and more walking. Dury drew a deep breath, and let it out in a dreadful sigh, only to regret it terribly. Oh, the smell of the place! They were camping in a bog! He swore it! Falco made it seem nicer, calling it a marsh, but Dury was not fooled by that hobbit's words. Falco was good at making things sound better, only, they made things seem worse.

Shifting in his blankets took much effort, and all of that strength was used just to get a large, very solid something digging into his back. With a moan, Dury turned over and pulled the wool blankets tight around him. He would be regretting much in the morning, if he did not sleep at all, and he attempted to block out any negative thoughts from his mind. Dury found that that left no thoughts at all. He snorted. Nothing but negative thoughts, as nothing but negative things had been happening since that morning. Had it only been earlier that day that he had arisen at dawn to walk, to travel on some 'noble' journey the lackwitted Tooks and Brandybucks thought up? He was not going to survive this.

Dury did not remember sleep overtaking him, but it did, and his dreams reflected his thoughts. Negative.

___

October 31st

Dury could barely remember being shaken awake that morning, shaken back into a sore reality. The aches and pains of that night had only grown worse, and now he was decidedly stiff. He waddled at the very back of the company, somehow keeping his legs moving at least somewhat. He missed his family this morning. Misery, negativity, loneliness, ache, it was what he would forever associate with journeys.

That morning, a frantic Josh had shaken him awake. The boy had doubted Dury was still alive! Just because he had not been awakened by someone's hollering... It seemed that Cami had decided to join them, and with much news. Terrible news, and yet another thing for Dury to mull over. Danger might be added to Dury's list of associations quite soon. That farmer had best have some divine leaf, and his wife's family had best treat him with more respect after this. He had done this for Mirda, and for her family, if only because they were her family. Mirda had best let him have an extra plum cake for this. No, a baker's dozen!

"A stop, perhaps?" he called up ahead of him, trying in vain to sound cheery, and polite.

"Not yet, Dury, I'm afraid."

A peal of giggles arose ahead of him.

"Well, I am glad you two young ladies are enjoying yourselves!" he called again.

More giggles came back to him, much louder this time.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #64
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

October 31st

Assiram sat up rubbing the soreness from his left flank. A small tree root and several sharp rocks had made their impression on him as he slept. He had been so tired when they’d finally stopped to camp, he’d fallen into a deep, dreamless sleep . . . and of course the small flask of burning juniper berry spirits he’d grown fond of had assisted the process. But now he was awake, and his head was throbbing, his side was sore, and his leg muscles were threatening to cramp from the chill of the morning.

The sun had crested the tips of the trees. So, it couldn’t be too early he thought to himself. Groaning with the effort, he got up and walked the few paces to the little stream that ran though the small dell they were in. The other two were still dead asleep, snores and grunts issuing every so often from beneath the blankets of their rude beds.

He splashed a few handfuls of cold water from the stream on his face, and slaked his thirst with a long drink from it. A patch of sun beckoned him and dragging his small pack with him, he sat down in it, leaning his back against a tree stump. The warmth of the sun and the short walk had worked the cramps from his calves.

Reaching into his pack, he pulled out the last of the dried meat and waybread. Hardly noticing them as he gnawed on them, he set to organizing what needed to be done that day. Looking reflectively at the sorry little stick of dried meat that grew smaller by the minute, he moved the replenishing of their food supplies to the top of his list.

‘Should be some nice fat Hobbit holes we can raid,’ he thought to himself as he popped the last of the waybread into his mouth . . .

[ October 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-12-2003, 08:55 AM   #65
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The Shirriffs and Cami - 31 October

Hob watched as Olo resolutely stamped out the remains of the fire to obliterate any signs of the Shirriffs ever having camped in the grove. Within a few moments, the three hobbits had pulled on their packs and were again heading out of camp, careful to keep their distance from the other band but still following close enough to see clearly where their track was leading without fear of getting lost. It was more difficult than it had been before, since there were only a few sheltering groves of trees to hide their movements along the river. Once or twice, they'd actually had to dive for cover in the Shirebourne and stay under water until the band ahead had dipped around a bend just out of sight.

After an hour or two of silent tracking, Brass had sprinted down the trail ahead of the others, drawn on by the hope of finding some berry bushes growing near the river for a little mid-morning snack. Scanning the ground from side-to-side and looking cautiously ahead, he came to an abrupt halt just outside a clearing near the water, in his panic pitching headfirst into a patch of tangled brush.

As Hob and Olo made their way forward debating the merits of certain varieties of pipeweed, Brass recovered enough to sit up and wave his arms madly, whispering a word of warning. "Shh! Be quiet. They're right there, up ahead. They've stopped for a minute by the river. I think they're talking about heading to the southwest across the fields towards the town of Longbottom. And look! One of them has a pony now."

Olo immediately got down on the ground and crawled forward, being careful to shield his body from sight. Hob quickly followed suit.

"Our bad luck!" muttered Olo between clenched teeth. "It will be hard to keep our cover when we have to cut across open fields. We'll have to stay alert, and keep far behind, perhaps crawling forward in spots."

Hob and Brass exchanged nervous glances at the unpleasant prospect of having to inch their bodies along the ground. But neither of them could really suggest an acceptable alternative. Hob crept up to an opening in the bushes and cautiosly stuck his head through to have a better look at the band of hobbits who were sprawled out relaxing on the ground. Indeed, one of the band had a pony, and the beast looked strangely familiar to Hob. He looked once, then twice, and gasped in recognition. For the pony was definitely Dandelion, one of the steeds in the Brandybuck stables! The pony had lowered his head and was gently nudging one of the hobbits lying in the tall grass who had apparently fallen asleep. One quick glance at the sleeping form told Hob all that he ever wanted to know, for the prostrate and sleeping hobbit with her wild brown curls and plump curves was definitely Cami. She sat no more than ten paces distant. With a clatter and a bang, Hob drew back in absolute alarm, but not before Cami opened her eyes, stared blankly into his own, and began to shriek out in panic.

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-12-2003, 11:35 AM   #66
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Josh turned and stared as an ear-rending screech filled the air. Unfortunately his feet didn't seem to want to stop moving and, not looking where he was going, he tripped over a tree root that didn't seem to be attached to a tree. His muffled protest called the toher Hobbit's eyes to him, and for a while there was chaos that seemed to belong to more than just five Hobbits as the others tried to decide what to look at, exclaim over or run from first.

Pulling himself upright Josh staggered over in the direction of the screaming, around a clump of scrubby bushes, followed by the others. There was a nameless dread filling his chest, and images of men with bows and swords, dragons and other monsters crowded his mind. It took willpower to force himself forwards but he did, unfastening his knife from his belt as he went.

Surprisingly all he was faced with was Cami, hands on hips, haranguing a red-faced Hobbit who seemed to be trying vainly toplacate her. His face was familiar to Josh, peeping from under a Shirriff's cockaded hat. Hob. Hob...Bolger? No, but a distant cousin anyway, he thought. Hob was, if he remembered aright, Cami's betrothed. Unless they were married now, which was possible. Josh tried to recollect family gossip, but eventually gave up. There was far too much!

Whatever had caused Cami- or Hob!- to scream seemed to have vanished, though. Josh was just considering whether to tiptoe away leaving the two of them to sort out their quarrel alone when a thought hit him like icy water. Hob, a Shirriff, was there behind them. Unless he was alone searching for Cami, one Shirriff meant at least one more. And why would Hob be wearing his hat if he wasn't on duty?

Carefully Josh looked around, peering at trees and bushes. Sure enough, there were two beady pairs of eyes visible through the foliage, as well as the outlines of two crouching Hobbits.
At least they aren't big men, Josh thought wryly. Although if there were we might all be dead by now...

The thought wasn't pleasant. Deciding to cover his nerves with action, Josh marched smartly over to the eyes waving his knife.
"All right" he said loudly. "Come out of there you. And no funny business"

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 10-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami and Hob

Totally oblivious to the ruckus that was going on around her, Cami rounded on Hob and came at him with eyes flaring.

"What are you doing here? I might have known! You and your Shirriff buddies." She glared over in the direction of the bushes where the advancing figures of Brass and Olo could be clearly seen. Olo looked to be totally beside himself.

Without hesitation, Cami lit in, "You ought to be ashamed of yourself. I've just ridden all night from Tukborough. When I left, Ferny's men were launching an assault on the Great Smials. If it wasn't for Paladin's cleverness, everyone inside would have been skewered by those nasty thugs. And they claim to be carrying out the directives of the Chief and Shirriffs!"

Cami went red all over, then surfaced to take a great gulp of air, still staring angrily at Hob. She calmed herself, stood up straight and stared her fiancee in the eye, "I've said it before but this time I mean it. Either you break with those men and take off that silly feathered hat, or this is the last time I'll ever speak to you!" She began to wrench off the ring from her finger.

Hob opened his mouth and was about to speak, but whatever answer he intended to make was drowned out in the hubub all around him.

Old 10-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #68
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

October 31st

Olo groaned as he heard the stupid lass scream and he himself shouted, though it was drowned out thoroughly by the shout of the girl, "Hob! Get back here now." Fuming because he himself had been unable to hear his cry, he decided to watch the scene in hiding as he saw Hob and the other hobbit approach one another: Hob the picture of abject terror. His thoughts were interrupted by a voice that said, "And no funny business."

"What the bloody ---" he choked upon the swear word as he turned to look at the impudent hobbit who stood facing them. Clasping the hands that were trembling with contained fury, Olo stood still for awhile, inwardly raging:
Stupid, stupid, fat hobbit!! -- he wasn't sure if he was speaking of the lass or Hob -- When everything was going so splendidly! Now its ruined, ruined! Instead of capturing them and getting a fat reward from Sharkey, they have captured us! And what is he doing?! Arguing with some red-faced lass when he should be here with us, standing by his fellow Shirrifs. What a traitor, what a deserter! I'll report him to Ferny and Sharky and they'll make him wallow in the darkness of a cell that is without furnishings. He shall live on bread and water once a day and shan't see a pipe or a solitary pice of Leaf! He shall languish in there until he repents!

After a suitable pause, which was mainly to rant and to show the other hobbit that Olo wasn't afraid of him, Olo dragged Brass to his feet and tumbled from the brush.

The hobbit lad who had discovered them looked as if he was trying to stifle his terror and was doing a somewhat good job of it. Olo peered intensely at him, he recognized him vaguely and it seemed his name was Josh. "Josh, right?" said Olo with feigned cordial. Sticking out his oily, pudgy hand he continued with a sickening smile, "I'm Olo Underfoot, Shirrif of the Shire and this here is Brass," he said, gesturing to the said hobbit with a jerk of his other thumb. Olo frowned when he saw that Josh stared at the proffered hand with scorn.

Olo glanced quickly around and saw that Hob and the other hobbit were still having a terrific spat, and that Brass was inching his way towards them. Looking around him, he saw the other hobbits, the bad-good hobbits -- what an oxymoron --, come towards them, weapons drawn. "Brass," he hissed, tugging the hobbit to him, "Look around you," he added, pointing at the hobbits. "And what might ye be doin' so far from home?" he asked Josh as pleasantly as he could muster as his hand slowly dropped towards his loaded cross bow.

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 10-12-2003, 04:52 PM   #69
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

All thoughts of berries forgotten, Brass stood stunned for a moment, looking wildly for something to focus on. Ack, too much noise and too early in the day as well. But, he held his piece while Hob and the hobbit-lass yelled back and forth. A cool breeze ruffled his hair good-naturedly as Olo and the other hobbits began talking. Brass didn't even bother paying attention to what they were saying, it was the weapons they were holding that he was concentrating on. "And what might ye be doin' so far from home?" Brass had enough sense to see Olo dropping toward his crossbow, and did likewise as the hobbit in front of them- Josh, was it?- narrowed his eyes in distaste. "I could ask the same of you, honorable sheriffs." Brass relaxed his hold on his club, deciding that these hobbits were pleasant enough. "Aye, but tis not your position to be askin' us." Olo responded.

For some reason, looking at the two, Brass was struck with the impression that they were locked in something like a staring contest, but it was far more serious than they hearty ones he used to participate in at the Green. A sickening silence seemed to stretch out, Olo looking triumphant and Josh looking wary. "Maybe we can both state our business and then be on our ways?" Brass spoke up helpfully for the first time, startling even himself by the statement. It did make sense though, after the other hobbits were gone, he, Olo, and Hob could get back to the job, and maybe find some berries. And food, was, and would almost be his main priority. However, while his statement earned him a thoughtful glance from Josh, the look Olo gave was completely inappropriate.

"You idiot!" He hissed quickly, but then smiled back up at Josh. "Well, me mate here makes a good point. We'll just exchange tales and then be on our separate ways." Then narrowing his eyes and drawing himself up to full height, Olo added,

"You first."
Old 10-12-2003, 05:10 PM   #70
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

"You first"

Josh squirmed uncomfortably. He felt, somehow, that this encounter was getting away from him. Surely he should be the one giving the orders? He looked around for help. Neither Dury nor Falco looked inclined to open their mouths, while Niluial and Tim both seemed to be watching CAmi and Hob. Cami, who would probably have talked for all of them, was busy. It was down to him.

"My name is Josias" he began, trying hard to look down his nose at a slightly taller Hobbit. Fearing it simply made him squint, he stopped. "As for my business..." he trailed off, considering. He could lie. They wouldn't believe him, but he could. Or he could just be honest. After all what could they do to him?

"My business is to trade" he said sternly, glaring at the two Shirriffs.
"Trade is controlled by the chief" the bigger, bossier Shirriff stated baldly. "Your trade would be unlawful"
"What is unlawful" Josh said loudly, drawing himself up full height, "is occupying the Shire with Big Men. And half-wits like you."

That's done it, he thought with a strange excitement. Now something's going to happen. But what? Idly he rubbed his thumb along the smooth cherrywood handle of his knife, over and over the carved pattern. It's all down to you Mr Shirriff. What do we do now?

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 10-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #71
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Hob

Hob looked at Cami who had her arms crossed and was still fuming. Then, he glanced back at Olo and over at Josh. The two hobbits looked as if they were no more than a hair's breadth away from coming to serious blows. Hob couldn't imagine how such a fracas would actually end. Brass and Olo were certainly outnumbered, but they had better training and weapons and would probably take a lot of the others out before they met their inevitable end.

Was this what everything had come to? All those years in the Shire where no hobbit had ever knowingly killed another now came down to this? And for the first time in his life, Hob knew this mustn't be. It wasn't right for him or Cami or Josh. It wasn't even right for Brass or that obnoxious Olo. No hero by instinct, and with his knees knocking loudly, Hob slipped between the two hobbit lads and stood stock still. He unbuckled the belt at his waist that held his dagger in its sheath and threw it to the ground; then he let his bow slide off his shoulder and glared first at Josh, and then at Olo.

"Alright, I'm unarmed. Do either of you want to come at me? You both got reason to be mad." He shrugged his shoulders and looked from one to the other. "I don't care what either of you believe. But hobbits don't kill hobbits!" He craned his neck over at Olo. "Workin' for the Big Folk is one thing but having them tell us to kill each other....that's just crazy. It don't make no sense."

He looked over at Josh. "Now, whatever I am, these two are Shirriffs, so you best be tellin' 'em what you're doin'. They got that right. And once you hear it, I advise you two to get outta' here, cause there are several more of them than you, specially if I decide to join 'em, which I just may do."

He looked over at Josh and Olo and sat down in the tall grass, waiting for someone to answer.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:21 AM   #72
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

The sudden appearance of Hob between him and Olo startled Josh. Any slight feelings of disappointment were swept away by relief- Hob was right. Hobbits shouldn't kill one another. He tucked his knife back into his belt, glowering to keep up appearances, and was happy to see that Olo did the same. Slowly Josh turned his gaze from him to Hob, sitting on the ground looking stubborn.

"What madness made you work for the Big Men anyways Hob?" he asked indignantly. "Hasn't my Uncle Paladin always been good to you?" he added, hoping that he was right and Paladin had.

Hob mumbled something in reply, turning red.
"Never mind that now. Can't you sort things out with him?" Hob asked, jerking his thumb at Olo.

"Perhaps I can sort both out together" Josh said. "We're going to get weed, Mister Olo, Mister Brass and Mr Hob. And you can all do exactly as you see fit about that. If you want to come with us- not only Hob, all of you- that's fine by me. We could do with the help. And I'm sure you could do with the weed?"

The second Shirriff made an eager noise, but was cut off by Olo.
"That's not lawful, as you know Mister Josias. We shall have to arrest you and take you to be sent to the lockholes"

Josh forced a laugh, but the name chilled him.
"How will you do that then? Even if Hob there can't find the nerve to join us we still outnumber you. I'd like to see you try!"

He turned aside to Hob.
"But Hob, you must see we have the right of it? Don't you?"
Still sitting on the ground, Hob nodded stiffly, almost unwillingly, and mumbled something again. Then he pushed himself up onto his feet and came and stood deliberately by Josh.

"Very well" snarled Olo wildly. "We may not be able to arrest you all, but we can get someone who can. You won't go free, just like the rest of the damn Tooks. And you Hob..." He trailed off.
"C'm on Brass" he snapped and walked off. Unwillingly Brass followed.

"W-well" Josh said, trying to eject brightness into his voice and hide the tremor. "I should think that's the last we'll see of them. I'm glad you joined us, Hob. We should be going if we want to make Longbottom and find somewhere to camp before nightfall"
the Forbidden Link
Old 10-13-2003, 08:33 AM   #73
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Sting

Olo was wild with anger as he saw Hob go over to the Resistance and nearly thought that Brass was considering it as well. "Do you want to be locked in the Lockholes forever?" he shouted, as he hurried away from them. But they ignored him, though Hob did look a bit troubled. "Alright," Olo muttered, "the men should be around the Tooks somewhere," he said, chewing with a yellowed tooth upon his lip and smoking vigorously on his pipe. "To think that they'd go for some weed! They should be grateful for what Sharkey has done for them. Blithering idiots."

He was slightly disturbed and was inwardly fidgeting at the thought that Ferney, or worse Sharkey, would blame him for Hob's dersertion. Olo was inwardly sorry to loose Hob: he had been rather brave, putting him between him and Josh -- Josias. Olo knew that he should have done something more, but they had been outnumbered. "Once we have the men, we'll go after them and everything will be alright."

Old 10-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

October 31st

Assiram returned to the stream and filled the waterskins. The horses were pegged to the picket line, and he loosed them; taking their reins, he led them to the stream to drink. Once they were secured in a patch of sweet grass and tasty leaved bushes, he hobbled them and let them graze.

By now the other two were awake, and he hollered at them to get up. Helios sat up rubbing the sleep from his eyes, but Ahriman pulled the blanket over his head as her rolled to his other side.

‘None o’ that!’ growled Assiram, nudging him with the toe of his boot. ‘We’ve got to find us some food to get us by. And after that we had better find those Shire rats the chief wants us to hook up with.’ He spat a nasty looking gob on the ground. ‘Can’t imagine what use they’ll be to us.’

A short while later and a meager breakfast for the late risers, and they were on their way. They raided two outlying little holdings as they rode east toward Pincup – taking the fresh baked bread from both of them along with a smoked ham from the first and some taters and carrots from the second. One of the ladies had baked an apple pie, and the ruffians took it, pan and all - slicing it into thirds and jamming it into their mouths as they rode along. The empty pan they sent flying back at the outraged husband, nearly hitting him in the head.

At the second little holding they raided, the older son had threatened the Men with his sling shot, hitting one of the horses on the rump as they rode off. He yelled out after them and raised an angry fist. The Men laughed. ‘Little dolt! Is that all you weasels can muster!’

The Men turned south after their second raid, just a little east of Pincup. They had heard that there were some farms that way where pipe-weed was grown. Their own supply had grown short, and besides – pipe-weed farmers did a good trade. Perhaps there would be some coins and other items of interest if they were lucky.

Late afternoon found them in a little clearing, fixing to stay ‘til tomorrow morning. They had plenty of food and had built a small fire to make themselves a mess of fried taters and thick ham slices. ‘No point in going any further today, boys,’ Assiram said, picking a piece of ham from between his teeth with his ragged fingernail. ‘We’ll head down towards Longbottom tomorrow . . .’
Old 10-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #75
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

October 31

At Josh's suggestion, the band of resistence hobbits had headed straight out on the road again. This time, fearful that the Shirriffs would return with some of Ferny's men, they avoided all paths or trails, instead cutting across the open fields on a southwesterly course. The faster they could make their way to the farm and take care of business, the sooner they would find themselves back in Tukborough where things were at least a little safer.

By early afternoon, Cami's energy and spirits had revived. She walked alongside Hob with Dandelion following behind her, chatting of this and that as the two hobbits made plans for the future. Her earlier resentment seemed to have vanished. Cami whispered in Hob's ear how very proud she'd been for the brave action he'd taken and how they might want to speak with her mother and the master of the Bucklands, Saradoc Brandybuck, about setting a date for their nuptials. Niluial even came over and gave Cami a hug, on hearing what they were discussing.

Several times, Hob suggested running off and eloping, but Cami would have none of it. "I want a proper ceremony and a party with my friends in Brandybuck Hall. Then, we'll set off together to make a home in Tookland. You'll have the farm and I'll earn a little on the side by having a dame's school for little ones."

Once or twice, Cami wondered if this was really what she wanted. What about her dream of going off on a wild adventure, of following in Bilbo's footsteps? Would she ever see the libraries of Rivendell or Gondor that her teacher had talked about? But Hob was a good, decent lad and she was unlikely to do any better. She was tired of caring for other people's children. Why not care for some of her own just as most other hobbit lasses did? In any case, her mother's health was not good, and she would like to see her mother happy before she passed on. And Cami herself felt happier than she had in a good long time.

The band made steady progress through the remainder of the day. They stopped a few times to rest and eat a bit of lunch. But their trek was thankfully quiet with no trouble from the Shirriffs they'd left behind or any of Ferny's men. By the time they reached the outskirts of Longbottom, the sun was slipping beneath the horizon and the shadows of early evening extending over the land. Josh called a halt to their journey and the group made camp just outside town, with hopes that the next day would bring them a rich harvest of pipeweed to take home to Paladin and their other friends in Tookland.

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #76
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Helios walked through the trees; the man kept thinking about what he would do with the money from Ferney. His thoughts were mixed between settling down, and keeping up his previous life. Unknown to him, Assiram walked behind him.

"So, what's wrong?" Assiram asked.

The other man was startled and turned to meet his companion, "What?"

"I can tell when you have a problem. So, what's the problem?"

"Well, after this is over. I mean our job and all. I'll be rich. I'm not sure what to do with the money. I don't know if I want to settle down, or continue the life I already have. There are just so many choices."

"Why do you have to decide now?" Assiram said.

They made a cicle back to the camp. Helios sat down and ate. The man soon was thinking deeply, which later became sleep.

[ October 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-15-2003, 08:29 AM   #77
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

October 31st -- dusk

Olo was still plodding determinedly along for he was fuelled with anger at Hob for deserting and the Resistance for actually deciding to take, nay steal, some o' Sharkey's weed. Nevertheless, his pace had gradually stole into a mere, continuous, plod that reminded him of a water wheel turnin' 'round an' round an' round an' --

"Can't we stop, maybe, and have a rest?" asked Brass plaintively, halting in his steps and peering at the sky, which was turning to a soft, purplish hue. "Just look at that sunset," he said broadly, pointing, "it's just so purple, like plum cake --" licked his lips wistfully -- "and usually when sunset comes, actually an hour or so before it, we have somethin' like dinner..." his voice trailed off and he shrugged his shoulders.

Olo groaned and said, "Brass, me mate, you 'ave actually said something about which I can heartily agree with you. Stupid, stupid, stupid Hob an' that Hobbit strumpet -- Brass, do you know who she was? No matter," he said scornfully as he began to build the fire, puffig vigorously at the struggling sparks. "Stupid wood's wet," he muttered. Then he launched into a tirade where he uttered some choice words at the men, the hobbits, and the world in general that caused Brass's ears to change from a delicate pink to a violent crimson. "We camp here and rise at dawn," Olo said stressfuly. "Dawn: when the sun peeks above the horizon," he added for Brass's benefit.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:30 AM   #78
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

October 31 Late Evening

Niluial sat watching the fire. She moved closer and closer to it hoping to get warmer. Niluial had whinged all day. Her feet were covered in blisters, her hair was dirty and the rest of her and her dress was torn then there were other problems, Niluial was miserable. She put her chin in her hand and thought. Josh was sitting on the opposite side laughing at a joke and Tim sat writing a poem leaning against a tree. “This is it!” Niluial exclaimed getting up. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at her. “I have had enough! I am leaving tomorrow back home” she said. Everyone jumped up “Don’t even think of stopping me!” she hissed, while flicking her hair back. Josh ran after her and grabbed her arm, forcing her to listen. “Niluial!” he said looking into her eyes “You are not going anywhere, its dangerous and you committed yourself! Now stop moaning, lighten up and smile. It works I promise!” he said while tucking her hair behind her ear. “Fine! I’ll stay” she exclaimed, rolling her eyes. Niluial was a spoiled brat at times and she just needed someone to be firm, she would listen but acted like she wasn’t going to listen, you know for the extra attention. She walked over to a near pond and put her feet in it, it was cold but soothing and at that moment she relaxed. The only reason I went on this adventure was because of Tim then *sigh* Josh. Niluial liked josh and was affectionate for him, even though she wouldn’t admit it.

Niluial dried her feet and walked over to the camp fire. Everyone lay there sleeping, thinking or writing a poem. Niluial lay and fell into a deep sleep, a dreamless sleep but a sleep.

She woke up the next morning, the sun glaring in her face and bird was chirping in a tree (not the best way to wake her up) “Be quiet! Wont you!” she shouted. Everyone woke up looking startled and still asleep.
“Oh my word! We were meant to be on the road by now” Josh said, packing up his things. “Come on, pack, pack, pack!” he demanded. Once everything was packed they started the new day’s journey…
Old 10-17-2003, 07:19 PM   #79
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Pipe

Night, October 31st

My Dearest Plum Cake...

Dury's hand's shook as he attempted to scribble down his thoughts by the bouncing light of flames. Crossing out the words Plum Cake, he ran the goose feather along his mouth in thought. Is your mind always lying in your stomach, Dury Greenhand "Is your mind always lying in your stomach, Dury Greenhand."

Dury jumped at hearing his own voice. After a shake of his head, he was lost again in his thoughts. He watched the flames dance and spark in the cool autumn night, feeling the heat fall upon him in waves and mingle with the chilly breezes that ruffled the colored leaves in the trees above. It felt at home, and Dury, for the first time in days, felt at peace. On wafts of heat from a cool stone oven, he could almost smell the sweet scent of fresh baked breads and cakes and tarts and…he was not hungry. He could not bring himself to touch those nice smelling things, would not ask for one. Did he really miss a smell? A taste? No, he did not truly miss anything, yet. Yet.

My Dearest, he began again. Our actions have been made known following a series of uncontrollable events. All the more do we resist what is so wrong in our home, what is wrong in any place in the world. But, all the more are we placed in danger. We have gained some sympathy -- no, not all who follow like sheep are cold stone-hearted folk -- but some does not make up for the enemies we have, enemies that know we consider them so. I had believed before that this would be like any other trip that I might take, even with its risks. Now, though, it is clear to me what these risks are, and that they are there.

For a moment, he paused, his thoughts trailing off with the rising of a great lump in his throat. A great lump of emotions. Going to write again, a wet drop caused the word risks to run.

I hope you read this with me by your side to explain my words, and my thoughts and feelings that are not able to be contained in them. If not, I love you, my honey cake and my two little plum cakes two.

Another drop fell, this time on a blank spot of paper, but a smile adorned Dury's glistening face, a small smile, but a smile all the same. With a careless flick of his wrist, Dury tossed his feather pen into the campfire in a great rising of sparks. It was a beautiful scene, picturesque, with brilliant gold sparks streaking out into a deep shining black to mingle with silver stars. It was all the more beautiful to the hobbit because of his simple action that held such overwhelming meaning. He would not write another word, as not one other word was needed.

He let the ink dry on the paper for a moment before folding it up and placing it in his shirt pocket, next to his heart. Dury lay down in his bedding, listening to the beats sounding to the same rhythm as the waves of comforting warmth. After an early rise, the long trek began again as the hobbits headed toward Longbottom, and Dury walked in the steps of comfort. The risks were there.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #80
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Pio's post - October 31st

Assiram was up most of the night, thinking. He had gathered a good-sized pile of twigs and small branches and sat near the small fire feeding the flames. Occasionally he would pick up the stick he was using for his poker and stir up the wood and embers sending orange sparks into the sky. ‘They look just like the pieces of gold we were supposed to find at the Shire Rats’ hole.’ He gave a disgruntled laugh and spat into the fire. ‘And just like them, our hopes for any riches winked away and disappeared.’ He was in a philosophical mood, rare for him who lived a mostly immediate life.

He hadn’t really wanted to come to the Shire. He hated those little vermin with a passion. In his mind they had displaced the real Men who should be living in the area, taken up land and space that didn’t rightly belong to them. Put the folk like him out of their due place; made his life a hardscrabble one. The thought that he was lazy to the core except in the pursuit of immediate pleasure did not figure into his equation, nor did the fact that he would no more be prone to the hard work of the land as would his cronies.

His cronies! What a worthless lot he’d been saddled with! He poked viciously at the embers sending up showers of sparks. ‘Be better off had they never come,’ he thought to himself. Why split the monies with them, when he could do the job just as well and by himself.

He looked over to where they lay, snoring under the fading stars, and considered what he might do.

[ October 19, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
the Forbidden Link