The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye What became of the Mouth of Sauron?

Gandalf takes the mithril coat from the Mouth of Sauron, he whezes and chokes in rage, runs back into the Black Gate and then...?
Nothing more is heard of him in the rest of the book, not even a passing reference to his fate, so the question has to be... what happened?
I can personally imagine him trying to flee with as much gold and other riches as possible as he comes across as a complete coward and I can't envision him fighting.
Gothbogg the Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Two possibilities.

My guess is one of 2 possibilities. The MOS either died in the fall of Barad-dur, or he hid in cubby hole crying, after being humiliated and let's say "out-insulted" by Gandalf and Aragorn. But, I'm just guessing.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye Deconstructing the Mouth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
The MOS either died in the fall of Barad-dur ...
Given that he was Lieutenant of the Dark Tower and Sauron's ambassador, that initially seemed to me the most likely scenario. But would he have had time to return there following his parley with Aragorn and Gandalf? I suspect not.

So I envisage him having a slightly different fate, although no less terminal.

The fact that the Mouth of Sauron had forgotten his name would suggest that he had lived well beyond his natural lifespan. Assuming that was the case, such unnatural longetivity would no doubt have been the product of sorcerous power delegated to him by Sauron. Once the Ring was destroyed and Sauron defeated, such delegated power would no longer have been available to him. I suspect, therefore, that he aged alarmingly rapidly and was reduced to little more than dust in a matter of moments.

Much as Christopher Lee does at the end of most Dracula films.

(On the solid assumption that the Mouth will appear in the Extended Edition of the RotK film, I can see such a scenario appealing greatly to Jackson. )
Old 09-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420! Tell me what you think?

SpM I have overlooked probably a key opponent in order to solve this (if it even is solvable), here's the quote tell me what you think...

Quote:
The Black Gate Opens
....He gave out a great cry, and turned, leaped upon his steed, and with his company galloped madly back to Cirith Gorgor. But as they went his soldiers blew their horns in signal long arranged, and even before they came to the gate Sauron sprang his trap.
First, I believe Cirith Gorgor is right around the Morannon. Secondly look, at "even before they came to the gate," would this mean, before he could retreat back, the host came out, therefor he was stuck at the battle? That is what I'm thinking, what do you think?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dark-Eye Either way, he's dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
First, I believe Cirith Gorgor is right around the Morannon. Secondly look, at "even before they came to the gate," would this mean, before he could retreat back, the host came out, therefor he was stuck at the battle? That is what I'm thinking, what do you think?
Cirith Gorgor is the pass across which the Morannon, or Black Gate, lay. It seems to me that this extract is simply saying that The Mouth's company gave the signal which triggered the assault and that the assault began immediately upon that signal. I don't doubt that the advancing hordes would have let the Mouth and his guard (the Mouthguard ) through.

But the extract does, to my mind, make it clear that the Mouth would have had no chance of making it back to Barad-Dur before its fall.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Ahhh, I do see what you are saying, yes that makes sense now. Now that I have read it again, yes, the signal was blown, the guard came out, and Tolkien was just describing before they could reach the gate, the army was unleashed. Ok, yes I do agree, I think he wouldn't have been able to get to Barad-dur.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 AM   #7
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

Actually, his weezing and choking in rage was him having a hyperventilation attack. He fled back to the gates and the various forts, and probably got dizzy, couldn't feel his hands and feet, and then suffocated.

Poor guy, I guess that's what happens when you eat crow, feathers and all. Especially Stormcrow, the most bitter of all the crows you could possibly eat.

"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:48 AM   #8
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Went into dentistry. Obviously.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:31 AM   #9
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

The Eye

Dentistry? Er... I somehow doubt it, I mean wouldn't he keep insulting the patients?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #10
Elessar Telcontar
Pile O'Bones

Elessar Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Unfortunately it was never actually documented what happened to the MoS but in my opinion he undoubtedly met a grisly, unhonourable end rather quickly after Sauron's demise. It's not entirely impossible that he got caught up in the battle at the Black Gate and was simply hewn down by a simple warrior...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #11
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

The Eye

It make sense, I mean the guy wasan utter coward wasn't he?