The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
Mark
Pile O'Bones

Mark has just left Hobbiton.
Mithril was given to a museum :=\

I was re-reading The Hobbit when I noticed something that took me off gaurd. If you look back at the last page or so, I dont have the exact phrasing (at school at the moment, book at home) it said that the sword Sting (that was found in the Troll caves) was hung on the wall but the Mithril Chain (Given to him by The King Dwarve) was given to a museum.

I would suppose that Bilbo did not thing he needed it at the time, but one thing that puzzles me is how he got it back to give to Frodo.

Now if I'm not mistaken, once you give something to the musuem it should remain at the museum, is it not?

I dont know if this was a mistake of Tolkien's, or if Bilbo picked it up as one of his treasures when going to Rivendell. I just thought I'd fill you in on my current thoughts.
am against the world.
|+|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|+|
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think he lent them to the museum and retrieved them before going to Rivendell - I am sure it says somewhere. Few Hobbits sweem to be interested in teh outside world so I guess they weren't much missed after 60 years on display. Maybe Bilbo thought he might need them for his journey.

Actually it is quite common to loan items to Museums even for a long period of time, even indefinitely, and retain ownership. If you read the cards by artefacts it will often mention that it is on loan and from whom.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
From The Ring goes south:

Quote:
'Also there is this!' said Bilbo, bringing out a parcel which seemed to be rather heavy for its size. He unwound several folds of old cloth, and held up a small shirt of mail. It was close-woven of many rings, as supple almost as linen, cold as ice, and harder than steel. It shone like moonlit silver, and was studded with white gems. With it was a belt of pearl and crystal.
'It's a pretty thing, isn't it?' said Bilbo, moving it in the light. `And useful. It is my dwarf-mail that Thorin gave me. I got it back from Michel Delving before I started, and packed it with my luggage: I brought all the mementoes of my Journey away with me, except the Ring. But I did not expect to use this, and I don't need it now, except to look at sometimes. You hardly feel any weight when you put it on.'
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
Mark
Pile O'Bones

Mark has just left Hobbiton.
Oy, didnt notice that :P
am against the world.
|+|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|+|
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote