The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2003, 08:48 PM   #1
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Shield saddest part

hey i would like to no wuhat you guys thought was the saddest part in the movies<BR>mine was when elrond and arwen were talking and he told he what would happen in she chose to stay with aragorn. it was so visual and sad like you were arwen.<BR> also the part about the good stories imn the second moovie<BR>i also thought it was so sad when borameir died<BR>
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

All of it was sad.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Amen, to that, Bethberry.<P>The entire story of the War of the Ring is a tragic tale. Even the happiest parts for me were deeply saddening. I prefer to think of what you mean as 'moving,' certain points that stirred the inner reaches of the soul and reminded us what the story was truly about. A few of those moments for me were the storming of Isengard by the Ents, the words of Elrond to Arwen, and the events concerning Smeagol's 'identity crisis,' per se. The story of the little old stoor is most pitiable, and it is really emphasized in the movie.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:38 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Talking about the films, one of the most moving moments for me was at the Council of Elrond in FotR when they are all arguing over what to do and Frodo's small voice pipes up "I'll take the Ring". Gandalf's expression just says it all: Despair that it is Frodo who has to undertake this task together with a knowledge and understanding that it can be no other. I thought that Ian McKellen captured the feeling perfectly in just one expression.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, for FOTR the saddest part is when Boromir dies protecting Merry and Pippin. It is his redeeming moment... and then when Aragorn finds him. I especially liked the added line in the extended version... something like, "They will look for his coming in the white tower, but he will not come" (I know that's not exactly right, but).<BR>For TTT I really thought the flash forward was sad. But I also thought it was quite sad when the men and boys were leaving the women and children in the caves to go fight.<P>But I do agree that the whole movie (meaning both) is sad. I can cry in many places, though they are not always tears of sorrow. In ROTK many of them will be tears of sorrow
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

the hole moving had a very sad meaning but when the two children left i thought they wouldnt see there mother again and it was so sad
Old 01-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

These are the saddest parts:<P>When Freda and Eothain have to ride away from rohan.<P>When Boromir dies (I don't particualy like him!)<P>In the talk with Elrond and Arwen, ending with the words (for the Elvish see my sig):<P>Do I not also have your love?<BR>You have my love, father.<P>Bye, Elessar<P>
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
Silmaril

It made me choke up a little when the boys from Rohan had to put on the mail and helmets and go fight an enemy much bigger than them ... it's so tragic because it actually happens.
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #9
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found there were many sad, sorrowful, and moving moments in both of the movies. <P>The very first time I saw The Fellowship of the Rings, I bawled when Gandalf was pulled down with the Balrog. I guess it was everyone's reaction that made it seem all that more sad. I kept thinking "But they still need you so much!" I knew he would come back, but it just reminded me of the horrible feelings that you get when you lose someone...<BR> Before that, though, my heart was just about ripped in two when Frodo is reunited with the hobbits and Bilbo in Rivendell, even though it is a happy moment.<BR> Saucepan Man, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the moment where Frodo offers to take the ring to Mordor and Gandalf has the all-expressing emotion on his face.<BR> Gandalf's speech to Frodo in the mines is also very memorable. Then when Frodo is reciting the speech again to himself before he takes off in the boat is rather sad. And of course when Sam goes after him, that is also very touching.<BR> When Boromir gets shot the first time and we see Merry and Pippin's expression of utter shock, sorrow and helplessness is another time where you just can't help but want to cry.<BR> Also, when Galadriel is giving Frodo the phial of light I find is so poignant and well-delivered. I cry everytime I read that part in the book and see it in the movie.<P> I've only seen the second movie once but I cried during Sam's emotional speech at the end of the movie; especially when they showed the Ents bracing themselves against the floods. Showed so much determination!<BR> Also, when Gandalf returned, I felt myself getting a little teary-eyed, but I knew I would at that part. Of course, when the men are leaving the women to fight at Helm's Deep is incredibly sad.<BR> And how could one forget Theoden's reaction to the news that his son is dead! It was so full of grief...*sigh* my heart broke.<BR> I'll have to see the movie again to remember all the other parts that my heart got that twinge of pain and empathy. I'm sure Return of the King will be even worse (by worse I mean even more sad), especially when Frodo leaves to go the Grey Havens! But I'm looking forward to it all the same.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #10
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know my last post was pretty long, but I forgot the part when Sam tells Faramir how and why Boromir died! Can you imagine breaking that news to someone about their own brother?! Rough, very rough! Poor Faramir must have received quite a shock after hearing that!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the scene were Frodo stands on the bank of the river, with tears in his eyes, and the ring in his hand, is pretty sad. He suffers... *sniff* <P>And the Arwen and Elrond thingy in TTT...
Old 01-14-2003, 04:39 PM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Oh yeah, I forgot about a small little thing that was added in the Extended that gave a whole new meaning to one scene.<P>It was right after Galadriel's "freak out" when she shows Frodo her ring, "This is Nenya, and I am it's keeper". Before it just seemed like good advice was given to Frodo, but this time she was saying that she knows what his position is like and that she too feels alone as a ringbearer.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Sting

When Frodo holds the sword to Sam's throat. I was ok and then I saw that and Sam said pitifully "It's me. It's your Sam. Don't you know your Sam?" Oh man I was a mess. all snot and tears. Anyway. Saddest part about FotR was when Frodo was stabbed by the witchking and he was laying there unable to move, and those ICY blue eyes *shivers* that was really sad.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:14 PM   #14
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Oooh, yea, I remember crying at both movies. In FOTR I cried evertime someone else cried [i.e. After Gandlaf died in Moria; When Boromir died on Amon Hen; When Frodo was crying at the shore of the river] **sniffs**<P>In TTT it was sad when the two children left their mum; and I sniffled at the end when Sam was crying and giving his speech. <P>Those <I>were</I> some sad movies, very good, but very sad.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #15
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cried SO HARD in FOTR when Gandalf fell, its all in slow motion with that sad music and Boromir has to hold back Frodo. It was WAY too much for me, I knew that he came back and everything but still!! And when Frodo is on the shore holding the ring in his hand looking so helpless and then he hears Gandalf's voice. Oh my gosh that movie moved me so much!<P>In TTT when Frodo pulls out sting on Sam and he says, 'Its me, its your Sam. Don't you know your Sam?' That was really sad.<BR>Also when Arwen is standing besides Aragorn's grave in that black dress and then she's walking under the tress which are like dead, very very sad <P>I bet I'm gonna cry the whole way through ROTK, but still I can't wait...
Old 01-14-2003, 08:47 PM   #16
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

gollum was just so heartbreaking I just kept wanting to tell him no master didn't want it to happen like that even though i know whats going to happen. And where all the boys of Rohan are being taken out to fight I was so close to crying and I don't cry in movies often. And the 'It's me, it's your Sam, don't you know your Sam' These are all from TTT cos' I just saw it last night<p>[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Silmarien ]
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:43 PM   #17
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

seeing the elves leave to the havens in the extended virsion and arwen and elrond taking puts me into tears every time i hesr what they say and see it
Old 01-15-2003, 06:26 AM   #18
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

When I realised that Éomer was leaving Rohan with no good reason and no provisions, to ride "north" to goodness knows where, and that he wouldn't even have the honour of fighting at Helm's Deep... a little part of me died that day, and in the dark silence of the theatre I shed a single tear for what was once a great story.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:14 AM   #19
Steel_Lilly

Sting

Boromir's death. I'd just gotten to where I could watch that scene with out bursting into tears and then they had to add the: "They will look for his coming from the white Tower, but he will not return." Urg.<BR>I also find Gandalf's death desterbing, not sad, but really bittersweet. Because if he had not fallen, perhaps the Fellowship would of endured and Boromir would of lived.<BR>Anyhow onto the Two Towers I get upset what Hama dies. I could tell you why, but I do. The afore mentioned ones (boys going off to fight, ect.) get me as well.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:47 AM   #20
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

True, Hama's death was pretty disturbing. It was so sudden and shocking. One minute he was there, then BOOM! Some dirty warg ends up with bits of him between his teeth. An ignoble end.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #21
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And where all the boys of Rohan are being taken out to fight I was so close to crying and I don't cry in movies often. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm with you, Silmarien, on both counts, except I may say I <I>never</I> cry in movies. I just don't. But that got me. I really had to control myself. Because it wasn't just the story...it actually has and does happen, that boys that young are in that situation.<P>I have three younger brothers (the oldest 17) and the thought of them...Plus it seems things may go in that direction in real life. And other friends my age...what if they go?<P>I think things I see in movies really have to resonate personally to affect me. It seems that one certainly did.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:10 PM   #22
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

I think, that the saddest part was when Haldir died. I know that is a huge messup, but it moved me soooooo much. And when he looked around and saw all the elves lying dead all over the place, those elves could have lived forevr in the grey havens, but they came to "honor that alliance" and pretty much saved the day, (and made aragorn VERY happy) doesnt anyone else think that is sad?
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:13 AM   #23
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting

Saddest part FOTR: When gandalfs falls in Moria, Boromirs death.<P>saddest part TTT: Theoden's no father should have to burry his son speech, merry's "but your a part of the is world" in Fangorn.
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:24 AM   #24
NZ Ringbearer
Haunting Spirit

NZ Ringbearer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to NZ Ringbearer
Ring

Let me see.....<P>FOTR: Gandalf in Moria, Boromir at Amon Hen, Frodo before he gets in the boat, and, to me, the bit after Gandalf falls, when the Fellowship is on the rocks outside Moria, and Aragorn calls to Frodo who is walking away...That look, when Frodo turns, makes me cry every time!! <P>TTT: The thing with Arwen and Elrond, the Helm’s Deep fighting children, Theoden finding his son is dead/ ‘No parent should have to bury their child’, Haldir at Helm’s Deep, and the Frodo almost killing Sam thing at Osgiliath.<P>I know, this sounds like a lot, but these are just the sad parts. I didn’t cry at every one, but something at each moment gave way inside…like I was suddenly silenced. (That sounded mental, I know)<P>By the way, one day I was at FOTR, and at the part where Boromir dies and Aragorn kisses his head it was real silent. Then this guy down the front says: <BR>‘Oh **** ’<BR>Everyone cracked up laughing, even though it was one of the saddest bits of the movie!!!<BR>(Sorry for swearing)

Frodo Lives! Spread the word! Say 'No' to Nazgul!!!
NZ Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:13 AM   #25
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

saddest part... <P>For me it was when Frodo asked Sam why he was being so mean to gollum and Sam said all gollum cared about was the ring.. and Frodo said: <P>I want to help him, Sam. <BR>Sam: Why? <BR>Frodo: Because I have to believe he can come back. <P>(At this point I wanted to slap Sam... why couldn't he see that Frodo was talking about himself?) <P>Sam: You can't save him, Mr. Frodo. <BR>Frodo: What do you know about it? Nothing! <P><BR>a brilliant addition by Peter Jackson, in my humble opinion. Peter for president.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #26
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hm. <P>I think the saddest part of FotR was.... Boromir's death, and then the breaking of the fellowship. those parts always make me sad. There are probably other parts I'm forgetting though.<P>In TTT the sadest part was Smeagol. Just the whloe character is so sad and pathetic (not in a bad way..) I couldn't believe that almost everyone in the cinema seemed to find it funny. I was nearly in tears, and yet everyone else was laughing. How could they laugh?? <P>Also, the Arwen - Elrond part was really sad too. And definately Helms Deep. All of it. All the elves dying really upset me (even though they weren't supposed to be there...). <P>*thinks for a while* The dead marshes part was kind of sad too. Yeah..... all this sadness
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #27
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The scene saddest for me was the single simbelmynë flower that floats down to the others covering the burial mounds of the Kings of Rohan.