The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Is a writer of Fantasy literature absolved of any responsibility for such things, in the way a writer of other kinds of fiction is not?
You know already know, or soon will know (with the young'n running about), the answer to this question.

"He/She/It made me do it!"

Over the years I always found it odd when a parent, after some tragedy befalls his/her child, looks for some cause of the problem without the use of a mirror. Song lyrics, video games, sugar content, TV, cartoons, and surely fantasy have all been blamed for bad/stupid/fatal behaviour, and yet what of the millions exposed to the same that just somehow miss the message?

It's like science; you might want to consider to what use your creation will be put before letting the monster out the door. That said, you can't keep people from exercising their right to be stupid, and I would make sure that the back of the title page had some of that loyerly language absolving you of everything...just in case.