The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #2601
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign Peter Mandelson and ironing to Mordor! Good riddance to ye!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #2602
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But Lal... The Prince of Darkness would be only too happy in Mordor... more a reward than punishment.

I assign dopey marathon marshalls who meant it took an hour to get out of my hometown yesterday, roadworks and so forth which delayed me another hour

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #2603
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the terrible cyclone that hit our country terribly, and reduced the middle classes of the Southern Tagalog area to nothing... terrible floods everywhere last weekend, it's only now that I had a chance to open my computer.

On the lighter side, I also assign the two snakes that almost made it into our house in the height of the tempest. My bro and my dad whacked them with our bolo used for cutting grass... I suppose we're lucky, we here in the suburbs near rice fields got floodwaters from the mountains and ricefields, contaminated by nothing more than snakes, frogs, and dead poultry, but in the urban places they got trash in the flood...

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #2604
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm assigning the headache produced by having just spent two hours (TWO HOURS! ) indulging in looking at extravagant, strange and just plain desirable property on the net - I've found medieval tower houses, Cheshire mansions, Yorkshire Gothic, seaside idyll and a stonking massive headache because of being covetous (or however you spell it)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #2605
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign nasty gastrointestinal viruses. Mordor is too good for them, though.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #2606
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign computerized registration before enrollment. The subjects I want to take are all on the same time, and subjects I don't want to take fit perfectly in my sched! Off to Mordor, whoever made the schedules!

Legal Madness.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #2607
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Mistaking the due date of 30-40 pages of writing.

Somehow my brain read, "Let's change your deadline from October 10th to October 7th," but only retained, "October 10th."

Guess who is two days late on a deadline and still has to write an essay on a book I'm not done reading.

I guess this means I'm not going to have time to write a new story to send in with this packet.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #2608
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign printers. I assign them not working and printing out things that are totally unrecognisable! I also assign projects that you misunderstood the due dates for, I thought a project for my poetry class was due next Friday, turns out it's due tomorrow, so I have to rush to get things done.

I also assign having two eight page papers due in a week that you haven't even started on yet due to nobody willing to take you to the library except on days it's not open due to budget cuts... Oh! And having $30 worth of library fines for overdue books for the last time you wrote a paper... for the same teacher. And, having the library want to send you to Collections for said fines.

I'd also like to assign taking a class at another, larger, abominable school. They have the strangest schedules and the rudest people I've ever seen. Seriously, if you glance at them sideways they would beat you up right then and there!

I also assign having a nice cold that started up today. I have no idea where my nose has gone, it started running and I haven't seen it since. I also have this nassty cough that could go to Angband!

Two more things, having the new choir music that you have been waiting for for weeks not coming yet, and having to wake up in seven hours.

~TheGrumpyElvenWarrior

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 10-09-2009 at 12:28 AM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #2609
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ono! Poor TheGreatElvenWarrior! I didn't think those we're due until December, good thing I don't have to do them huh? Wait, what are Collections?

I however, assign my 10-20 page research paper I have to write. And the 2,000 notes I have to take and turn in for it. Worst of all is that I am not interested in the subject and that I am behind on all of this work due to being sick with the most devilish illness that is still, most unfortunately, haunting me. I also assign cheese. And waking up at four in the morning. And the Spanish language for it's silliness and over-use of the word 'que'.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #2610
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign the SAT. It starts way too early in the morning. And coughs that will not go away, even when the rest of the cold is long since over.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #2611
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign almost all male teachers that love football. I have a great relationship with all of them but I cannot discuss football with them since I am not a fan of the sport and don't watch it. Entirely ruins the idea of having teachers that you can trust enough to email with them.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #2612
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I assign almost all male teachers that love football. I have a great relationship with all of them but I cannot discuss football with them since I am not a fan of the sport and don't watch it. Entirely ruins the idea of having teachers that you can trust enough to email with them.
You should have been in my old prof's office the day I was sitting on his floor reorganizing his bookshelves (I was getting paid for this) and we were chatting when a few other students (male students) stopped in. They started talking about some Brett guy who apparently retires a lot and my prof turned to include me politely in the conversation.

"What do you think about it?" he asked.

"Um... which sport is this?"

They thought I was kidding.

I went back to the Goya books.

Speaking of, I assign my lack of art books. I have one small Magritte book, and a miscellaneous collection of gallery publications, but it's just not the same as having easy access to color prints of all the major works of all my favorite artists.

And I assign my lack of bookshelves. Too many books, not enough space.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #2613
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign being ill. And I don't know whether it's some sort of inflammation/infection, the swine flu or another huge boil forming in my throat.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #2614
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I assign being ill. And I don't know whether it's some sort of inflammation/infection, the swine flu or another huge boil forming in my throat.
Hey, that's no good...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #2615
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I assign the SAT. It starts way too early in the morning. And coughs that will not go away, even when the rest of the cold is long since over.
You have all my sympathy. It is indeed a vile and nassty test but at least we don't have to take A-Levels! Now to re-take my test!

Speaking of the SAT, I assign bad maths scores. 580 is not good enough for some places apparently.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #2616
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign waiting for new books to come in the mail...right not, John Howe's Lost Worlds.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #2617
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign power hungry people that keep trying to get you killed in a game that you are better at and know more about.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #2618
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I assign power hungry people that keep trying to get you killed in a game that you are better at and know more about.
Hungry Hungry Hippos?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #2619
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I assign headaches caused by quadruple reveals.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #2620
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Hungry Hungry Hippos?
That is just mean. The game is Tribal Wars.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #2621
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Don't worry, from my experience swine flu is quite mild, if very annoying (because even my own family ostracized me). I contracted this at the height of the h1n1 scare.

I assign the flu. Icky icky stupid disease.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #2622
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I assign being bloated. It really bites.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #2623
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
That is just mean. The game is Tribal Wars.
Greetings from my wife (who has played this for the last year or two), and she suggests you find a real good tribe to join.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #2624
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

She really plays? I am in a pretty good one right now on world 39. I started on world nine in February of 2008 but I quit and came back this past summer to world 39. I have a link to the tw stats page under the my website thing.

Let me add I found a player on a different world that I play who uses the name Boromir of Gondor. Boro, is that you or just a coincidence?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #2625
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
She got rid of her estates (by permanent holiday proxy or whatever you call it in English) two weeks ago in order to have more time for RL (and is now complaining about her WW-addicted hubby again). Before that, she played the German version, called "Die Stämme" - same game, but not linked in any way with the anglophonic worlds, I think.
And judging from the names people give their villages, there seem to be not a few Tolkienistas among the players - probably a lot of movie fans among 'em, but maybe a few who should be recruited for the Downs, who knows?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #2626
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
She got rid of her estates (by permanent holiday proxy or whatever you call it in English) two weeks ago in order to have more time for RL (and is now complaining about her WW-addicted hubby again). Before that, she played the German version, called "Die Stämme" - same game, but not linked in any way with the anglophonic worlds, I think.
And judging from the names people give their villages, there seem to be not a few Tolkienistas among the players - probably a lot of movie fans among 'em, but maybe a few who should be recruited for the Downs, who knows?
The duke of my tribe on world 39 is friends with this Boromir of Gondor guy. The German version is no overrun by Brits. The new German world had an invasion of all these Brits from the UK server. Next time I talk to some of these Tolkien fans I will bring up the downs.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #2627
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Islamic fundamentalism. Not in the way you probably think... it's just that I can't think of what to write about them, not after practically living in the Institute of Islamic Affairs in school for days, not after scouring the internet... I, with all my Western education and stuff, just don't get it enough to be able to write about them without saying what I really think of them.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #2628
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Let me add I found a player on a different world that I play who uses the name Boromir of Gondor. Boro, is that you or just a coincidence?
I'm assuming it's the dude who happens to have my AIM screen name? If you are assigning him to Mordor, must be my alter ego? Anyway, It's not me. I've never heard of Tribal wars until now.

Speaking of hungry hippos, I definitely assign them to Mordor. Big mean nasty brutes that they are. Which also reminds me of an article about dolphins that was shown to me about a week ago. I'm sure Mythbusters was correct when testing they will protect other things from sharks, but dolphins are also really perverted. Therefor I also assign Hayden Panettiere to Mordor, who is not that great of an actress, as well as her defense of dolphins.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #2629
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Quinsy.... not nice but a splendidly medieavalsounding ailment.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #2630
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Knowing you're getting sick.

Because sometimes it's easy to tell the difference between allergies and your body trying to fight something off.

Just hoping it's not bad, and that it comes and goes quickly.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #2631
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Wind. As in, 60mph stead wind and 80mph gusts. We get it every year, but it still is annoying.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #2632
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign family to Mordor.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #2633
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I assign family to Mordor.
I second that!

I also assign going to the dentist and having him say that you need to brush your teeth three times as long because you have gingivitis, why? Because you have a metal mouth, and brushing your teeth the way that normal people brush them just isn't acceptable. Plus my mouth really hurts from having said metal tightened. The things people do to have nice teeth!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #2634
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Braces? I never minded braces since that tiny bit of pain was that pleasure pain that is so rare. I am going to shut up now.

I also agree with assigning dentists to Mordor. I also assign cavities to Mordor. I had four and only 2 have been filled. My dentist keeps screwing it up by not filing down the damn fillings.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #2635
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Well we all know that the best dentist has set up business in Mordor.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #2636
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Well we all know that the best dentist has set up business in Mordor.
They used to have the best manicurist, too, but Saruman persuaded him to come to Orthanc with a significant salary raise.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #2637
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Braces? I never minded braces since that tiny bit of pain was that pleasure pain that is so rare. I am going to shut up now.

I also agree with assigning dentists to Mordor. I also assign cavities to Mordor. I had four and only 2 have been filled. My dentist keeps screwing it up by not filing down the damn fillings.
It usually doesn't bother me, but this time it really did! Thankfully, I've never had any cavities, but I think I'm coming close. The bad thing about dentistry now, is that my dentist left my dentist's office, and the office was sold to other people, so all of the years of having one dentist, it changed!
I really did like going to the dentist at one time, I think it was because my teeth felt clean for once, I guess if I kept better care of my mouth then I wouldn't have these problems.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #2638
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Getting sick while on vacation. With the flu. After I'd been vaccinated three weeks before.

But to add insult to injury, the flu was very likely gotten from a hair cutter (I will not dignify her by giving her a professional title) who coughed all over her station, and her customers, and gave me the worst haircut I've had since my mother hacked off my hair with a dull pair of scissors just before my First Communion. Bad enough I want to go around wearing something over my head to cover the horrific hack job on my hair, but then to pick up the woman's bug, and have it manifest on our last day of vacation....

People really need to learn to stay home when they're sick. Really.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #2639
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
It usually doesn't bother me, but this time it really did! Thankfully, I've never had any cavities, but I think I'm coming close. The bad thing about dentistry now, is that my dentist left my dentist's office, and the office was sold to other people, so all of the years of having one dentist, it changed!
I really did like going to the dentist at one time, I think it was because my teeth felt clean for once, I guess if I kept better care of my mouth then I wouldn't have these problems.
No cavities? You are lucky. What is your secret? I have had 9 cavities my whole life. 3 of those teeth were baby teeth.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #2640
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Getting seven cavities drilled out at once wasn't fun. And neither are the uneven fillings afterwards.

I assign weird dizzy spells to Mordor. Off with ye! Or is it that way...?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote